Raph Clarke (THE STRIDER)

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

raph has shown a fair bit of talent, its just injury and discipline he needs now.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

spiral2 wrote:
SaintBot wrote:Another boy from up north to watch in the next few years is Nathan Djerrkura at Geelong.
not having a direct dig at you here SaintBot (this is something I've noticed across the football media), but it's disappointing how frequently the word 'boy' prefixes an aboriginal players name.
I'll lay heavy odds it's used far more rarely when referring to non-aboriginal players.
IMO it's one of those subtle racial slurs/habits that everyone should be wary of.
i apologise sprial.

iv actually never even thought about it, just something iv done - never intended as a racial slur.

As much as i think people of aboriginal heritage wouldnt find it offensive (i think) i can see where you are coming from.

Guys, spirals made a fair point no need to give him all this stuff about american political correctness, etc

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

I don't recall Raph getting caught too often when in full stride. Because of those long strides he takes, he is much much quicker than he appears. Also, has anyone else noticed how his tackles stick, even on the biggest opponents.

From what I saw on Friday night, a fit body has also sharpened up his confidence and decision making too

YES, I rate Raph. He just needs a decent run, free from injuries !!

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

has X fined down a little and regained the athletic look of his heritage?

I remember a couple of years ago Joey appeard to put on too much bulk in his upper body and he has certainly benefited from working more on whole body rather than just the pecs.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:has X fined down a little and regained the athletic look of his heritage?

I remember a couple of years ago Joey appeard to put on too much bulk in his upper body and he has certainly benefited from working more on whole body rather than just the pecs.

Goddard was anther that did that.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:has X fined down a little and regained the athletic look of his heritage?

I think a few guys look like they have fined down a bit. X, Harvs and Fras. X & Harvs both need to find a good hairdresser too :roll: . Fras won't need to bother, though :lol: !!

snoopygirl
SS Life Member

Add Kosi to the list of needing to find a good hairdresser too Eastern.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:I don't recall Raph getting caught too often when in full stride. Because of those long strides he takes, he is much much quicker than he appears. Also, has anyone else noticed how his tackles stick, even on the biggest opponents.

From what I saw on Friday night, a fit body has also sharpened up his confidence and decision making too

YES, I rate Raph. He just needs a decent run, free from injuries !!
absolutely. all he needs is an injury-free run at it and to get some confidence up and look out.

a real talent.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

X was probably the most impressive in my book on Friday night

i think all Raph's problems are mental ones, as he has all the skills

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote:X was probably the most impressive in my book on Friday night

i think all Raph's problems are mental ones, as he has all the skills
Confidence is a very powerful emotion. In the past Raph would get the ball off as quick as he could to whoever he thought was a better player than himself. Towards the end of 2007 (after all his injuries) he started to make much better decisions. This went to another level on Friday night. Perhaps he is just starting to feel like he belongs a this level. Being fit & healthy would be a great help !!

BolloxToThat

spiral2 wrote:
LENNY LEADS THE WAY wrote:I refer to alot of our younger guys as lads is that bad?
no, there's history with the term 'boy'
this is complete and unmitigated crap ffs i call any player younger than me a boy

you probably believe way back when at the logies when Bert Newton was hosting when he said that he liked the boy in reference to the great Muhammed Ali that it was a racial slur

grow up

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Boy as a racial slur is a reference to african american slaves, nothing to do with indigenous australians.

Hense why Newton stuffed up because it means nothing in australia but a lot in the US.
Last edited by ausfatcat on Mon 18 Feb 2008 9:30am, edited 1 time in total.

BolloxToThat

I thought Raphs game in the intra club and the first NAB cup game spoke volumes for where he is at at the moment

he looks ready to rip it up and not before time

go Raph

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

SaintBot wrote:
spiral2 wrote:
SaintBot wrote:Another boy from up north to watch in the next few years is Nathan Djerrkura at Geelong.
not having a direct dig at you here SaintBot (this is something I've noticed across the football media), but it's disappointing how frequently the word 'boy' prefixes an aboriginal players name.
I'll lay heavy odds it's used far more rarely when referring to non-aboriginal players.
IMO it's one of those subtle racial slurs/habits that everyone should be wary of.
i apologise sprial.

iv actually never even thought about it, just something iv done - never intended as a racial slur.

As much as i think people of aboriginal heritage wouldnt find it offensive (i think) i can see where you are coming from.

Guys, spirals made a fair point no need to give him all this stuff about american political correctness, etc

Since the year dot in footy fans refer to their players as "their boys".

Personally I hope that our boys thrash the Cat's this weekend.

And I will be putting sauce on my pie when I am watching and not ketchup.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
stinger
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
SaintBot wrote:
spiral2 wrote:
i apologise sprial.

Since the year dot in footy fans refer to their players as "their boys".

Personally I hope that our boys thrash the Cat's this weekend.

And I will be putting sauce on my pie when I am watching and not ketchup.
:lol: :lol:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
RH35
Club Player

[raph has shown a fair bit of talent, its just injury and discipline he needs now.]

Raph was the most talented 15 year old you will ever see but playing Under 18 championships for 4 years was not too good for him. He became lazy and developed some shocking habits. This coupled with injury issues seriously held him back, but he finally looks fit and ready to play consistently. A concern is that his long strides don't allow him to accelerate yet we seem to persist in playing him deep against the likes of Deledio, where he will always get murdered on the lead. He plays well against the Eagles every year because he gets to play on Staker. If Staker played for every team, Raph would win the Brownlow.[/quote]

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Its fair to say Deleidio would murder nearly everyone on the lead.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Teflon wrote:Raph Clarke was touted as better than X by many who had seen them both play in NT - BUT and yes injury hasnt helped - right now X has it all over Raph IMHO.

It isnt about skill - its the difference in intensity - X goes flat out and will tackle (sometimes not thinking bout his safety). Raph to me still lumbers and looks slow with decisions. He HAS to stepup this year - by the end of this year Raph Clarke needs to have made the clear statement he belongs in our best 22.....right now (and if others continue to come on as we have started to see) thats up for debate IMO.
I don't buy the intensity thing with Raph. I agree that at the moment X is well ahead, and I can understand why Raph's intensity at times is questioned, but I think it more illusion than reality. I actually think the problem with both is their brains, they're both very talented, but don't think their way through situations well, and can run themselves into trouble.

X, being a bit smaller, ends up at the bottome of more packs, and importantly, when he's racing along, he looks like he's racing along. Raph on the other hand always looks like he's jogging, and that typifies his game.

When watching Raph, when I watch the players around him, I often see Raph loping along, looking like he's jogging - as everyone around him is at full sprint just trying to keep up. When he jumps, those around him are stretching to get the same height. When he kicks, it looks like a half thought option, only to drop to the Saints between 3 opposition players. I have no trouble imagining Raph taking apart a Juniors game, but in the group dynamic at AFL level, those skills are the price of entry, not a guarentee.

Yet for all that, he'll beat his opponent, only to find himself another one to lose to, and have left his man open. His first step isn't great - witness Delidio often having a step on him on Friday, because Delidio's fast enough that if he gets his step, you won't get it back.

Put either Clarke in defense and you could tell the same story... and to me that sums up the greatest weakness for both. It does no good to beat one opponent, or break the lines, if you then turn the ball over, because you've created a disadvantage for yourself. I have no problem with the intensity of either one, but I'd like to see them making better choices with the ball in their hands.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:When watching Raph, when I watch the players around him, I often see Raph loping along, looking like he's jogging - as everyone around him is at full sprint just trying to keep up. When he jumps, those around him are stretching to get the same height. When he kicks, it looks like a half thought option, only to drop to the Saints between 3 opposition players.
this is why he needs to be perservered with. talent in abundance.

here's hoping he is injury-free this season and can be as good a player as I think he can be.

confidence is an funny thing. i've seen players do amazing things once they truly begin to believe they belong at the top level.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:
Teflon wrote:Raph Clarke was touted as better than X by many who had seen them both play in NT - BUT and yes injury hasnt helped - right now X has it all over Raph IMHO.

It isnt about skill - its the difference in intensity - X goes flat out and will tackle (sometimes not thinking bout his safety). Raph to me still lumbers and looks slow with decisions. He HAS to stepup this year - by the end of this year Raph Clarke needs to have made the clear statement he belongs in our best 22.....right now (and if others continue to come on as we have started to see) thats up for debate IMO.
I don't buy the intensity thing with Raph. I agree that at the moment X is well ahead, and I can understand why Raph's intensity at times is questioned, but I think it more illusion than reality. I actually think the problem with both is their brains, they're both very talented, but don't think their way through situations well, and can run themselves into trouble.

X, being a bit smaller, ends up at the bottome of more packs, and importantly, when he's racing along, he looks like he's racing along. Raph on the other hand always looks like he's jogging, and that typifies his game.

When watching Raph, when I watch the players around him, I often see Raph loping along, looking like he's jogging - as everyone around him is at full sprint just trying to keep up. When he jumps, those around him are stretching to get the same height. When he kicks, it looks like a half thought option, only to drop to the Saints between 3 opposition players. I have no trouble imagining Raph taking apart a Juniors game, but in the group dynamic at AFL level, those skills are the price of entry, not a guarentee.

Yet for all that, he'll beat his opponent, only to find himself another one to lose to, and have left his man open. His first step isn't great - witness Delidio often having a step on him on Friday, because Delidio's fast enough that if he gets his step, you won't get it back.

Put either Clarke in defense and you could tell the same story... and to me that sums up the greatest weakness for both. It does no good to beat one opponent, or break the lines, if you then turn the ball over, because you've created a disadvantage for yourself. I have no problem with the intensity of either one, but I'd like to see them making better choices with the ball in their hands.
It's a really interesting point you hit on and I come to the point of perhaps comparing him to mark waugh. Has perhaps too much talent and thus he tries to make the perfect pass or take the mark insteed of going the spoil.

Like a few others in the team I would like too see him being instructed to go with the first option even if it's not PERFECT. Sometimes putting the ball to the advantage of a player but still require the team mate to make the mark or ground is more important then holding onto it a little longer and making a mistake.

See him play on a guy 10 cm's + taller then him when playing at CHB against the cats VFL side a couple of years ago and would play off this oppenant and come in late to mark the ball. If he backs himself he can beat anyone in the air and is very smart by foot. Just needs game time to get up to speed and back himself.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
SaintHomer
Club Player

SaintBot wrote: He will be the best indigenous player since...actually I think he will be even better than the likes of Long, Akermanis, Davey's, Clarke's, Motlop's, Burgoyne's, etc
WTF!!! I have read some massive statements on here, but that is the best (or worst).

Long and the Burgoyne brothers have been very very good premiership players.

And I didn't even realise Akermanis was indigenous :shock:

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

SaintHomer wrote:
SaintBot wrote: He will be the best indigenous player since...actually I think he will be even better than the likes of Long, Akermanis, Davey's, Clarke's, Motlop's, Burgoyne's, etc
WTF!!! I have read some massive statements on here, but that is the best (or worst).

As others have said....Winmar..

The guy shone as a star from early on and from the indigenous players I have seen has been the best.

To exceed him or some of the others named there is a long LONG way to go....

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
SaintHomer
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:
SaintHomer wrote:

As others have said....Winmar..

The guy shone as a star from early on and from the indigenous players I have seen has been the best.

To exceed him or some of the others named there is a long LONG way to go....
no mention of winmar in the email i quoted. he was comparing cyril rioli to those players.

winmar was a great player, no doubt though.

congorozides
Club Player

winmar is still my favourite ever saints player.

at this stage x and raph arent even close to him. and dont foget o loughlin darryl white, chris lewis, andy mcleod, farmer there are many many indiginous players a long way ahead of all those menioned.

To me winmar changed the way people thought of indiginous players forever.. The old racist adage was always "they are are talented but lazy". But noone worked harder than winmar. best tackler i have ever seen. you simply could not get past him. it was not possible.

and we all know about the attacking side of his game - the run, the speccies, the goals.. love him.

SaintHomer
Club Player

i had a mate i went to uni with, who was a very very good player and a great bloke as well. he went on to make the saints rookie list. i remember catching up with him one time, and i'll never forget what he told me (knowing i am a huge saints fan). he said he always thought he was a decent player, but he said when he first went out onto the track and they were doing circle work, and when he saw WINMAR hitting plugger with 60mtr passes from the wing, he knew he was out of his league.

oh, and i played in the NT between 99-01 and actually played against X (when he was only 15 or 16). he was very good, but it was common knowledge up there that Raph would be the better footballer. whether that comes to fruition is another thing.

x is great with his intensity at the ball, just as long as he doesn't keep getting injured. loved seeing him playing on the ball last week.