Gutsy top win but not happy with Birss, Milne & Fiora

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SuperSaint
Club Player

Gutsy top win but not happy with Birss, Milne & Fiora

The win was great and credit goes to many of the kids today, like Geary, Eddy, Armitage, Allen and little Jack Steven. Well done to them after getting those key injuries. However, a couple of those rookie kids already deserve a spot in front of Birss for sure. He is as soft as butter and Milne & Fiora and not far behind. Milne is a 'one trick pony' who has no longer that speed advantage he once had, making him even more ordinary now. Birss' spot needs to be switched with Geary's asap. He is slow and gutless. Fiona, apart from his mark, did bugger all and continues to avoid the hard ball. The kids showed these three what desperation and putting your body in can do. Good on them. These 3 players are never going to take the team to the top, that is blatantly obvious.

By the way, KB on SEN gave Geary best on ground today and not surprised. Good on him. The kid went full bore for the whole game.
Last edited by SuperSaint on Sat 23 Feb 2008 5:58pm, edited 1 time in total.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Gutsy top win but not happy with Birss, Milne & Fior

SuperSaint wrote:The win was great and credit goes to many of the kids today, like Geary, Eddy, Armitage, Allen and little Jack Steven. Well done to them after getting those key injuries. However, a couple of those rookie kids already deserve a spot in front of Birss for sure. He is as soft as butter and Milne & Fiora and not far behind. Milne is a 'one trick pony' who has no longer that speed advantage he once had, making him even more ordinary now. Birss' spot needs to be switched with Geary's asap. He is slow and gutless. Fiona, apart from his mark, did bugger all and continues to avoid the hard ball. The kids showed these three what desperation and putting your body in can do. Good on them. These 3 players are never going to take the team to the top, that is blatantly obvious.
Milne's second half was great. Please watch the game. Agree on the other two though.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

[quote="plugger66]

Milne's second half was great. Please watch the game. Agree on the other two though.[/quote]

Agree with Milne. Lead well when we had lost Gehrig, Kosi and Max. Made the plays that counted in the final qtr.

Fiora was Ok and did some nice things. Birss was ordinary, however blanketed Foley last week and can be afforded some slack.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
SuperSaint
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:Milne's second half was great. Please watch the game. Agree on the other two though.
Plugger66, I did watch and although he touched the ball a few times and kicked a goal in the second half, he didn't do much. All the SEN guys are saying the same thing about him as I write this. Milne is not damaging enough and his impact is generally minimal, so I'm sorry but disagree with you.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SuperSaint wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Milne's second half was great. Please watch the game. Agree on the other two though.
Plugger66, I did watch and although he touched the ball a few times and kicked a goal in the second half, he didn't do much. All the SEN guys are saying the same thing about him as I write this. Milne is not damaging enough and his impact is generally minimal, so I'm sorry but disagree with you.
Fair enough as long as you dont have a basis like other people do.

milney044
Club Player

I wouldnt be suprised if Birss was carrying an injury, he looked a bit precautious at times, mind you we all did that first quarter.
Milney didnt get into it that first quarter so im glad he managed 15 disposals for the game. in that area he's improved; in the past when he's had no disposals for a quarter he usually finishes with around the same amount for the game. I still think he's quite damaging, found plenty of space, just didnt connect boot to ball as well today.
Unsure about Fiora, i'd like to see how much game time he had. A fine mark nonetheless.

Bring on the Dons?

Destiny. It's in our hands.

Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.
SuperSaint
Club Player

plugger66 wrote: Fair enough as long as you dont have a basis like other people do.
I don't have a bias with Milney and I do hope he proves me wrong this season because many supporters like him but he is beginning to remind me of a cameo, fringe player like Ronnie Burns was at Geelong (and we all know what happened to him).

As for Birss & Fiora, their 'in and under work' when it was needed ,especially around the centre clearances, was poor.

HarveysDeciple

Milne was good in the first half and worked very hard in the second.

I got mighty frustrated at times when he missed a couple of shots and then overran the ball but his constant endeavour helped bring about both of our goals in the last term.

Was happy with the way he put in and did his job.

BallBanger
Club Player

SuperSaint wrote:
When Milne gets the ball invariably a turnover occurs...when a Harvey/Dal?monty gets the ball something happens...when an average player gets the ball you are a chance maybe 50/50 but when milne gets the fkn ball all the planets in the heavens have to be aligned
Milne is a dud and will lose us finals or should I say lose us more finals.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SuperSaint wrote:
plugger66 wrote: Fair enough as long as you dont have a basis like other people do.
I don't have a bias with Milney and I do hope he proves me wrong this season because many supporters like him but he is beginning to remind me of a cameo, fringe player like Ronnie Burns was at Geelong (and we all know what happened to him).

As for Birss & Fiora, their 'in and under work' when it was needed ,especially around the centre clearances, was poor.
He reminds you of those players because he is one of those players. all good FP play like he does. the hardest position on the ground.

thequarry
Club Player

I thought some of his contributions late in the game were important, but he made some basic skill errors and overran the ball close to goal which cost us some shots on goal throughout the match.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Rix was our worst today.

Although playing the entire game, he is incredibly useless and made to look 4th rate against Mark Blake.

Players that will struggle to gain selection (in my eyes):

Rix, Blake, Birss and Milne.

...Milne will continue to gain selection week out until RL love obsession discontinues. Much the result of showing faith in Milne by keeping him on the list while GT had publically announce he was due to be de-listed. How long can you flog a dead horse to attempt to be proven right.

Blake will get selected because he is athletic. Just lucky we arn't playing football here.

Best Today

C Gardiner impressed. Real presence even before the injuries....seems to make good decisions with the ball at this stage of the year.

Geary - Great
Armitage - Great

Allen - Did some good things, but was incredibly soft on occasions.

Gilbet just seems like the player to rip a game apart.

Other than that, was a great finish!!!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:Rix was our worst today.

Although playing the entire game, he is incredibly useless and made to look 4th rate against Mark Blake.

Players that will struggle to gain selection (in my eyes):

Rix, Blake, Birss and Milne.

...Milne will continue to gain selection week out until RL love obsession discontinues. Much the result of showing faith in Milne by keeping him on the list while GT had publically announce he was due to be de-listed. How long can you flog a dead horse to attempt to be proven right.

Blake will get selected because he is athletic. Just lucky we arn't playing football here.

Best Today

C Gardiner impressed. Real presence even before the injuries....seems to make good decisions with the ball at this stage of the year.

Geary - Great
Armitage - Great

Allen - Did some good things, but was incredibly soft on occasions.

Gilbet just seems like the player to rip a game apart.

Other than that, was a great finish!!!
Spinner your basis is unbeleivable. Blake was great today and milne was very good. please give players a chance and not pidgeon hole them.

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

did some of you people watch the game?

seriously I thought it was an almost career turning game for milne,

in the last quarter he became a leader, with so many missing. he went and filled holes, he went back, he was critical in the winning goal, and his kick fup the wing with 55 seconds on the clock was sensational, put it 50 metres up the ground and a metre from the boundary line

he played as a link through the midfield and created options

his last three quarters were outstanding

fqf

Solar
Saintsational Legend

personally I think milne needs to work on his football when he doesn't have the ball, his oppenent always gets way too much ball.

blake seemed to do his job today and that will keep getting him a game.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

I thought Blake was great today. Milne servicable but needs to find more of the ball inside 50.

Fiora and Birss, on todays form they will be struggling for a game once Hayes, Ball, Harvey are back in the side.

Expect Birss and Montagna to miss next week for a rest (rotations).

Rix is only selected because he is the best available, with Koschitzke played as a permanent forward, if either of King and Gardiner is out, he will play. Van Rheenen has shown that he's a long way behind even Rix.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 a terry smith rules - I agree with both of you.

How anyone could bag Blake today is bordering on a vendetta. He played a miriad of roles, especially after our structure was stuffed by Kosi, Gehrig, and Max unavailable. He went forward and hit the post (bad miss but he made the ply to get the shot), was third up to help Rix and Van reehan as they were getting belted by Blake and the other Geelong tryo, he went down back and did many courageous things.

Milne was instrumental in the fourth qtr and with Dal, became a leader and rallied the kids to come from behind and wind.

Oh well i suppose some will pick s.hite in anything :roll:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
terry smith rules
SS Life Member

cheers joffaboy

sitting here enjoying a beer, with not a care

how you can be critical of any player after that win is beyond my comprehension

Little Dozer
Club Player
Location: Forward Pocket, Outer side, Linton Street end or bay 38 Waverley

Blake was his usual useless self today. Classic Blake late in the match, takes a very good mark by his standards then proceeds to cough it up with a ridiculous handball. How he is still on the list is astonishing.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Little Dozer wrote:Blake was his usual useless self today. Classic Blake late in the match, takes a very good mark by his standards then proceeds to cough it up with a ridiculous handball. How he is still on the list is astonishing.
Agree should also get rid of Dal as he made a few mistakes as well.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

It might be too...that as this is after all a practice game the the coaches gave the kids and new players more of a go to test them out and see where they are at.

The coaches probably have a good idea about Fiora, Milne etc...
with Milne he was good to see that he was often roving at Kosi's feet.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Little Dozer
Club Player
Location: Forward Pocket, Outer side, Linton Street end or bay 38 Waverley

plugger66 wrote:
Little Dozer wrote:Blake was his usual useless self today. Classic Blake late in the match, takes a very good mark by his standards then proceeds to cough it up with a ridiculous handball. How he is still on the list is astonishing.
Dal doesn't consistently make the mistakes Blake does. Granted he is an honest battler, but he will not help us win a premiership.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

terry smith rules wrote:
seriously I thought it was an almost career turning game for milne,
lol...just because he appeared to preform in one aspect of his game late in the match dosn't excuse the fact he is consistently useless for the rest of it.

Aspects of Milne's overall game that are useless and seem to go unnoticed by viewers when he receives some cheap ball along the wings:

Contested Possession
Tackling
Marking abilities
Decision Making
...And he speed isn't all that great. Especially as most opposition footballers have longer and stronger legs.

Notice how Milne and Blake so often got by themselves. Notice how that players were forced to kick to Blake especially coming out of the half back line. What coach would care if Blake gathered 16 possessions like today?

Every team has these players. And every other team knows who they are.

...But I still cant get over the fact of how badly Rix played today.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

terry smith rules wrote:cheers joffaboy

sitting here enjoying a beer, with not a care

how you can be critical of any player after that win is beyond my comprehension
I'm being critical because this thread was specifically created to do so.

....Too many beers I think :P

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

That really is a pathetic post. I respect what you have to say, but at least 'try' to defend you views realistically.

That type of response always weakens someones opinion.