Luke VR to shine

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

supersaints
Club Player

Luke VR to shine

I believe Lukes progress in the Ruck is a little more advanced than most think.... It will be nice to see him o the ground tonight.

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
esaint66
SS Life Member

thats good to see. i know that kingy isnt playing but ive heard that gardy isnt playing. is this true can someone please post the whole team?

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

saint edward wrote:thats good to see. i know that kingy isnt playing but ive heard that gardy isnt playing. is this true can someone please post the whole team?

Some article that I can't recall said Gardy had general soreness and may be a late withdrawel, if this is the case he wont withdraw until closer to the start time.

esaint66
SS Life Member

ausfatcat wrote:
saint edward wrote:thats good to see. i know that kingy isnt playing but ive heard that gardy isnt playing. is this true can someone please post the whole team?

Some article that I can't recall said Gardy had general soreness and may be a late withdrawel, if this is the case he wont withdraw until closer to the start time.

oh ok thanks. :wink:

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Supersaints, do you have any reason for believing this?
DO you get down to Casey a lot? Do you go to a lot of training? because from everything I've heard/read he is still a long way away...
(Not trying to shut you down or anything, just wondering where you're coming from)

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
saintbart
Club Player

Armoooo wrote:Supersaints, do you have any reason for believing this?
DO you get down to Casey a lot? Do you go to a lot of training? because from everything I've heard/read he is still a long way away...
(Not trying to shut you down or anything, just wondering where you're coming from)
I've only seen VR once, at the recent intra club match, and to me he was very impressive. He appeared confident and has the necessary bulk to go to the next step IMO.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Not fit to shine Rix's boots today, who in turn was not fit to shine M. Blake's boots.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Re: Luke VR to shine

supersaints wrote:I believe Lukes progress in the Ruck is a little more advanced than most think.... It will be nice to see him o the ground tonight.
lol.

Not at this stage.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

A long, long way off. Will have to show plenty of improvement at Casey this year or he won't be around in '09.

Sam23
SS Life Member

YOu like to pick out the negatives, don't you MSG.

He will be on the list next year....remember an article last year telling us he is a 2010 project.

Goddard.
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Tried and has the size.

Still a way to go, but he did put in a couple of great performances for Casey last year, so I'm not writing him off just yet.

Remember he's a 19 year old ruckman.

Dean Cox as a 19 year old had just scraped onto a rookie list. Dean Cox as a 21 year old was almost delisted and then traded because he was crap.

Give VR time.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Agreed he needs time, if he puts in the effort to learn how to play the game at AFL level, then he will make it.

At this stage, he's not much. Worth persisting with, as it's 100% clear that Rix is not a long term St. Kilda ruckman.

supersaints
Club Player

Armoooo wrote:Supersaints, do you have any reason for believing this?
I hardly get down at all, and have yet to see him play more than a quater or so.
His neighbour told me RL spaoke to him toward the end of last season and told him he expected that he would probably get a crack this year. (However that was before we recruited King) I am hopefull King and Gardner can stand up this season and luke is givena chance to learn his trade rather than be rushed in

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote:Agreed he needs time, if he puts in the effort to learn how to play the game at AFL level, then he will make it.

At this stage, he's not much. Worth persisting with, as it's 100% clear that Rix is not a long term St. Kilda ruckman.
Isn't Simon Madden our ruck coach?

I would be expecting that long term, both LVR and Big Mac to learn an awful lot about playing the ruck from him.

esaint66
SS Life Member

i seem to think that if kosi and gehrig are not playing next week we will need luke van rheenan up foward with riewoldt.

my thoughts for this are that if he's 201 cm tall then he should be able to take a good mark and he looks pretty strong. plus ive been told hes a good kick. :)

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

LVR has grown heaps since he has been at the club (He's now a massive unit). He will need time to get used to all this new found muscle and how to use it. He's still very young and has time on his side. The club will possibly know more from what he does on the track this yr than what he does at Casey. Lets give him a bit more time to develop !!

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saint edward wrote:i seem to think that if kosi and gehrig are not playing next week we will need luke van rheenan up foward with riewoldt.
good thought. our tall foward structure seems to be working pretty well and at least it will give them something to kick it to.

he can play kosi's role. riewoldt can play fraser's role and gardiner or allen can play riewoldt's role.

mcevoy is another that down the track will be able to step in for kosi. tall and with sticky fingers but probably not well enough developed physically yet

esaint66
SS Life Member

bigcarl wrote:
saint edward wrote:i seem to think that if kosi and gehrig are not playing next week we will need luke van rheenan up foward with riewoldt.
good thought. our tall foward structure seems to be working pretty well and at least it will give them something to kick it to

my thoughts exactly. and we saw what happened to the bulldogs who tried to play the bombers with there kick it to foward being will minson. i think vr will do better than that.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

At the very least you would think that V'R will come onto the senior list at seasons end and Rix will be shown the door

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
good thought. our tall foward structure seems to be working pretty well and at least it will give them something to kick it to.

he can play kosi's role. riewoldt can play fraser's role and gardiner or allen can play riewoldt's role.

mcevoy is another that down the track will be able to step in for kosi. tall and with sticky fingers but probably not well enough developed physically yet
Not sure VR will provide anything up forward at this stage of his career. If Kosis roll is not to get much of the ball he should be right. I know that is not fair but he has a long way to go.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Not sure VR will provide anything up forward at this stage of his career. If Kosis roll is not to get much of the ball he should be right. I know that is not fair but he has a long way to go.
fair enough. you'd have a better idea than me as i've never really seen him play.

perhaps we go in with riewoldt at ff and allen playing kosi's role with gardiner as the third "tall". this would maintain the structure that i presume we hope to take into the proper season.

would be nice to have someone down there who can take a contested mark though.

the best contested marks in the team are probably goose and kosi but neither will be playing on friday, unless they decide to risk kosi and get serious about the nab cup

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

[quote="Eastern"]LVR has grown heaps since he has been at the club (He's now a massive unit). He will need time to get used to all this new found muscle and how to use it. He's still very young and has time on his side. The club will possibly know more from what he does on the track this yr than what he does at Casey. Lets give him a bit more time to develop !![/quote]

He would have to be 203cm+ now, he is huge.

But I agree with OWTS give him time !!

yipper
SS Life Member

mad saint guy wrote:A long, long way off. Will have to show plenty of improvement at Casey this year or he won't be around in '09.
:roll: My goodness!! We have some impatient ppl on here. He is 19yo a kid!! He has grown quite significantly over summer and played his first real game against a bloke who rucked consistently in the best AFL team of 2007. He actually rucked ok - just couldn't get on top and didn't get much of the ball. But - he is a project player with the hope he will be a genuine prospect for us in time.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
vacuous space
SS Life Member

yipper wrote:My goodness!! We have some impatient ppl on here. He is 19yo a kid!!
Normally I would agree, but in VR's case we're talking about a second-year rookie who's done nothing so far to warrant any excitement other than being tall. If he's going to be elevated onto the senior list at the end of the year, he needs to show some kind of skill either in the ruck or around the ground. He struggled in both aspects the other day.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
yipper
SS Life Member

vacuous space wrote:
yipper wrote:My goodness!! We have some impatient ppl on here. He is 19yo a kid!!
Normally I would agree, but in VR's case we're talking about a second-year rookie who's done nothing so far to warrant any excitement other than being tall. If he's going to be elevated onto the senior list at the end of the year, he needs to show some kind of skill either in the ruck or around the ground. He struggled in both aspects the other day.
Has played some very good games at Casey last year and did quite well in the intra-club, I heard our coaches were very pleased with him that night. And, he is actually STILL growing - as 19yo's do. He is a big boy, who is a very good kick and can take a mark - you think the club won't give him time?? Like hell they won't. 19yo, 203cm and well skilled below his knees!! yeah, get rid of him!!

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.