Jack Stevens

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Jack Stevens

Very impressed with this young fella to date. Looks like a very smart footballer. Hasnt got a lot of the footy to date, but seems to know what to do with it.

Has brought back memories of Aussie Jones & Joel Smith debut's in 95 Ansett cup series.

He is my pick for our next emerging superstar .. I expect him to be a regular in 09 and really get noticed by the footy public on 2010.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Ahh who could forget Joel Smith kicking the winning goal v Carlton

"Thats not the first time a No 4 has won a game for St Kilda" Brooooooooce I think..lmao

agree..Jack , like ALL our kids tried so far..has done no wrong

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
TimeToShineFellas
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Jack Stevens

Zed wrote:Very impressed with this young fella to date. Looks like a very smart footballer. Hasnt got a lot of the footy to date, but seems to know what to do with it.

Has brought back memories of Aussie Jones & Joel Smith debut's in 95 Ansett cup series.

He is my pick for our next emerging superstar .. I expect him to be a regular in 09 and really get noticed by the footy public on 2010.
Looks like a little hard nut too.

Will he continue the tradition of number 34's being cult heroes ala Jack Daniels and Brent Guerra?

riccardo
Saintsational Legend

17 years old, the boy.

Glorified practice match or not, I'm betting he will NEVER forget that moment. :D

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

TimeToShineFellas wrote:
Zed wrote:Very impressed with this young fella to date. Looks like a very smart footballer. Hasnt got a lot of the footy to date, but seems to know what to do with it.

Looks like a little hard nut too.

Will he continue the tradition of number 34's being cult heroes ala Jack Daniels and Brent Guerra?
Jack Daniels would have kicked that out on the full 12 rows back :-)

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Rickabee
Club Player
Location: Sydney, but grew up in Melbourne - 1st Saints match = Rnd 4 1966

Please note that his surname is Steven and NOT Stevens.
Nice to a "matchwinner" in one of your early outings! I'm sure he won't forget that. He does look a very good prospect for '09 and is living up to his reputation prior to the draft.

Raven
Club Player

I think I read somewhere, around the time of the draft, that had he been left until next year's draft he would have been top 10 or top 20. So we have ourselves a bargain!

TimeToShineFellas
SS Hall of Fame

saint66au wrote:Jack Daniels would have kicked that out on the full 12 rows back :-)
Yep you could imagine kick to kick with Jack Daniels down the park.........

"It's ok Jayson, never mind, I'll go get it!!"

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

I had this in another string. Steven is almost 2 years younger than Armo who is 19 rs 8 months.

saintsRrising wrote:Steven has been very good with his cameos in his two games.

Is underage..and taken in a very good draft. I think we have got a real bargain here . In one or two seasons time will most likely be much much better. :)

He is only 17 yrs, 10 months...say compared to McEvoy who is 18 yr 7 months.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

2 years ago....I was feeling quite glum about the future of our midfield....and what would happen post Harvey,Powell, Thommo and Pecket. Our list looked quite bare of emerging midfield talent as Mini was treading water and our list was lacking in young mifield types. Yes we had some excellent cream at the top with some superb mids...but our midfield did not run deep enough....and once retirement bit our midfield future was looking dark.

Now with Armo and Steven as emerging talent plus Schneider obtained by draft I am feeling a lot more confident.

Add to this Birrs as a usefel defensive midfield option for depth (so may be in and out of the 22).

The alast two sesaons has seen Joey step up froma flanker type into a genuine midfielder.

Now it was only one game against a weak opponent, but X's game as a mid against the Tigers provided a further spark of hope that our midfield can run deep enough for a few years yet to make us a very competitive team.

The main cloud at present is the fitness of ball and whether he can recover his earlier form.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

i know it is early days yet but i have watched the kid in all his outings this year...tough little in and under player.....good skills and knows where the goals are.......still a schoolboy and had to get half day off last week from his school to play against the tigers.....

big call and it's early days yet ..but he reminds me of a bigger version of bruce duperouzel.......better looking by far though.....if he turns out half as good we will all be laughing...... :wink: :lol:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Stinger since you have seena bit of him..what is his pace like???

I have heard some say that he has very quick accelearation...good for bursting out of packs.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:Stinger since you have seena bit of him..what is his pace like???

I have heard some say that he has very quick accelearation...good for bursting out of packs.

yep....quick off the mark ...and knows how to read the play....got a bit of devil in him too......so has geary........

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:Stinger since you have seen a bit of him..what is his pace like???

yep....quick off the mark ...and knows how to read the play....got a bit of devil in him too......so has geary........
Thanks.

yipper
SS Life Member

saintsRrising wrote:
stinger wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:Stinger since you have seen a bit of him..what is his pace like???

Thanks.
Actually kept getting Jack mixed up with Milney - they look alike out on the field. Both lively types who bob in and out of the game. Not so bad on the telly - but live at the game - all I see is a quick flash, catch a number 4 on the back and I think it's yapper.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
savatage
SS Life Member

yipper wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
stinger wrote:

Thanks.
Actually kept getting Jack mixed up with Milney - they look alike out on the field. Both lively types who bob in and out of the game. Not so bad on the telly - but live at the game - all I see is a quick flash, catch a number 4 on the back and I think it's yapper.
You shouldn't be getting them confused, Jack Steven is the one with the footy smarts.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

:wink: :lol: ......pay that

ps....if i was milne...i'd be paying someone to kneecap young jack....as ...as sure as night follows day he will be taking milne's spot in the side...just a matter of when......
Last edited by stinger on Mon 25 Feb 2008 4:12pm, edited 1 time in total.

yipper
SS Life Member

savatage wrote:
yipper wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
stinger wrote:

Thanks.
You shouldn't be getting them confused, Jack Steven is the one with the footy smarts.

:oops: :lol:

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

From WOM

Pick No 42 Jack Steven Geelong Falcons 180cm, 76.4kg, DOB: 28/03/90 (med midf/fwd)
Jack Steven from Lorne played 15 games for the Falcons in 2007, averaging 20 possessions a game and kicking 17 goals. Jack is a competitive medium midfielder/forward who is able to win his own ball in a contested situation and won the Geelong Falcons Best and Fairest award and displayed consistent footy in the TAC Cup. Jack has just completed year 11.

Comments:

Ross Lyon said that Jack's quick (three seconds for 20 metres and 14.5 beep test) and is one year out of Lorne, is bottom age and won the best and fairest at the Geelong Falcons. A real competitor.

John Peake said that Jack is tough, and hardened-up with good endurance, not bad speed, who likens a bit to Paul Chapman.

Matt Burgan said that the Saints had to take him at pick 42 because Collingwood (pick 47) were eager.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

stinger wrote:if i was milne...i'd be paying someone to kneecap young jack....as ...as sure as night follows day he will be taking milne's spot in the side...just a matter of when......
The more immediate concern for Milne would be Schneider. Speaking of which, does anybody know where Milne was when Schneider got hurt?

Yeah nah pleasing positive
savatage
SS Life Member

vacuous space wrote:
stinger wrote:if i was milne...i'd be paying someone to kneecap young jack....as ...as sure as night follows day he will be taking milne's spot in the side...just a matter of when......
The more immediate concern for Milne would be Schneider. Speaking of which, does anybody know where Milne was when Schneider got hurt?
Correct you are & very good question lol

yipper
SS Life Member

Bit of pressure on yapper these days - hopefully he will respond as a good player should and lift his game to a new dimension. If he does - it will good for us and bad for the opposition.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote::wink: :lol: ......pay that

ps....if i was milne...i'd be paying someone to kneecap young jack....as ...as sure as night follows day he will be taking milne's spot in the side...just a matter of when......

I dont think Steven has ever played as a small forward apart from 2 practice games. He is a natural onballer not a natural goalkicker like Milney.

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
stinger wrote::wink: :lol: ......pay that

I dont think Steven has ever played as a small forward apart from 2 practice games. He is a natural onballer not a natural goalkicker like Milney.
he was drafted as a midfielder - cum - forward. our recruiters liken him to paul chapman

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

He is an exciting prospect and I'm sure he will be telling his grand kids about that goal one day, considering the quality that Geelong Flacons have produced over the years and the fact that he won their best and fairest even though he was a year younger I would say he is likely to be in for a good career :) :)
The depth is looking good as is the development down at St.Kilda :D :D

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!