The other Fisher

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sobraz
SS Life Member

The other Fisher

Didnt manage to catch the game tonight, due to work, and was wondering how Leigh Fisher played... Radio doesnt give much insight...

He sagnated abit last year, but has all the attributes to be a bull half back/back pocket IMO.. strong, consistent, good overhead, and brave.. Up until '07 he worked through his injuries and came on well.. Last year he was found out a few times.. Im hoping he can adjust his game this year..

So, any feedback on Fish's game would be appreciated... And a few opinions on where he stand re. best 22 as well would be interesting..

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

started well...didnt do much later in the game though, from what i could see

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Pretty much no impact.

Zippy
Club Player

Didn't do a huge amount, but was solid in defence. The key with fisher is that he doesn't do much attention-grabbing stuff, but he doesn't do much wrong.

I think he's a default selection as a small defender. In '07 they pushed him into the midfield a bit too much, I think.

Blindly delusional optimist. Fan of the Blake.

"If anyone disagrees with anything I say, I am quite prepared not only to retract it, but also to deny under oath that I ever said itâ€
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

No I would disagree... I think L Fisher was quite poor.....not dismal...but what he did was often below best 22 (which you queried on) that is for sure.

If I was pickinga team now I would have Geary in fronto of both L Fisher and Raph fora backman's slot...and Bakers suspension may well see him selected.

I would also have Blake in front of L Fisher or Raph at present.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Solar
Saintsational Legend

agree, fish has really gone backwards but its only early so will not mark his papers just yet. These types of fast early season matches are never a good pointer for the slower more bulky players. (see harvey, hell even roo).

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
supersaints
Club Player

My observation is L fisher seems to play his best when he has Maxy along side him, not sure why....

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
To the top
SS Life Member

I reckon some of you guys are being a tad too harsh.

Defending is not about 30 possessions, it is also about positioning to keep your opponent out of the contest for the ball, denying them the corridor and, when called upon, sacrificing to block someone else's space.

So a lot of what defenders do is not picked up on the TV screen, or by the commentators (who are particularly average, speaking thru the prism of their own careers, as do too many cricket commentators).

I thought Leigh Fisher did an admirable job, including putting his body on the line accross the front of the contest.

I was of the opinion last year that he played very well until missing a game with hamstring problems, and was not as effecient when he returned - perhaps sapped of a bit of confidence in his hamstrings after what he has gone through.

R. Clarke was similarly unobtrusive but effecient, particularly given the job he was asked to do.

These two, with 50 and 30 games respectively, and Gram (50 games?) were the experience of our defence last night.

Support came from Blake, as the spare man back, and King dropping back.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Raph CLARKE

I thought Raph CLARKE was average in defence last night. He fell into the trap of not paying his direct opponent enough respect and had 5 golas kicked on him. On a fast minute opponent he is always found out and Essedon appeared to goign through his opponent/s last night as Raph was so poor...

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
TimeToShineFellas
SS Hall of Fame

IIRC our back six at once stage in the last quarter comprised Rix, Blake, L. Fisher, R. Clarke, Baker and Gilbert.

I don't reckon you'd see that line-up when 4 premiership points are on the line.

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Only saw the first half (on tv), but Leigh Fisher played quite well.

His defensive work was very good and he won a bit of the ball. Performed his job well, and up to half time he was certainly contributing for us.

Buckley mentioned his good defensive work.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
savatage
SS Life Member

He was disciplined & hard, but let's be honest - he was just around the mark.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Once again, Fisher hardly put a foot wrong last night. If he's not in our best 22 right now, that says something about the number of quality players we have pushing for selection. He may miss purely because we have such a wealth of players who play a similar role.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
Iratedebate
Club Player

If I was pickinga team now I would have Geary in fronto of both L Fisher and Raph fora backman's slot...and Bakers suspension may well see him selected.
I reckon that Geary is a lock for round 1 at the moment, and definitely has looked more impressive than both L.Fisher and R.Clarke. I'm not too sure about Raph Clarke, makes too many mistakes for my liking. If we have any semblance of a full squad to pick from throughout this year i think Raph will be spending a fair bit of time down at the Casey this season.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:
. If he's not in our best 22 right now, that says something about the number of quality players we have pushing for selection. He may miss purely because we have such a wealth of players who play a similar role.
Exactly.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
TwoTowers
Club Player

Leigh was one of the few who played nearly the entire match. I thought he performed his usual reliable job. I'm not sure I agree that he has stagnated - I just think he doesn't have any more improvement in him. So he will now probably be one of those not guaranteed a start in the best 22.

TwoTowers
Club Player

Iratedebate wrote:
I reckon that Geary is a lock for round 1 at the moment, and definitely has looked more impressive than both L.Fisher and R.Clarke. I'm not too sure about Raph Clarke, makes too many mistakes for my liking. If we have any semblance of a full squad to pick from throughout this year i think Raph will be spending a fair bit of time down at the Casey this season.
I agree but I don't see Raph spending too many rounds in the seconds. Perhaps that is what he needs to focus himself but I think he has everything required to be an absolute gun if he can stay fit. It could be that he will become an absolute gun at another club as be part of a win-win trade.

older saint
SS Life Member

While I have liked what I have seen with Geary in the NAB Practise games lets not get too carried away. Yes he make it and become a handy contributor or he could be the next jason Trianidis ( very good pre season player)

L Fisher has proved he can play at this level and I thought did ok last night. You cannot have a team of spectacular type players. He is our version of Hunt from Geelong