NAB Grand Final Review

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

NAB Grand Final Review

It wasn't a pretty game, but we get a very nice cash bonus, good media exposure and a boost to both confidence and membership sales. Well worth while putting in the effort.

Adelaide stopped us from playing the style of game we wanted to play, but thankfully in doing so they killed off any chance of them kicking a winning score. The umps had a couple of periods when they just went crazy and payed moronic free kicks, however in the end it had no influence.

Gram - BOG and Tuck Medallist. Ran and kicked well all day. Happy to see he still has that kind of footy in him and '06 wasn't a fluke.

King - Solid without being outstanding. He positioned himself well to cut off a few opposition kicks but really struggled marking overhead.

X.Clarke - He faded in and out, but he was still one of our best. He isn't as smooth and composed as Dal Santo, but somehow he manages to get the ball to a teammate just as often. Looking good for the midfield this year.

L.Fisher - Finally found form. Was excellent at ground level and used the ball well. Didn't rack up huge stats but he saved us several Adelaide goals.

Baker - Did very little and spent a bit of time off the ground. Is the last time we'll see him for a while.

Montagna - Had a quiet start by his standards, but he lifted in the ast quarter and helped get us over the line. Good game overall.

Riewoldt - Didn't do much. Harvs gave him a couple of beautiful passes which lead to a couple of easy goals. At least he's kicking straight.

Schneider - Looks like an absolute bargain for pick 26. Got heaps of the ball and help set up several goals and even snagged himself a supergoal. Played a very good game and will add a lot to the team.

Ball - His tackling and pressure was phenomenal. He clearly isn't going to regain the pace and kicking penetration he once had, but he is still a great inside midfielder. Looked more comfortable than last year.

M.Gardiner - Was useless at full forward, but had a great final quarter in the ruck. Started to give us the advantage at stoppages and racked up a 5-6 disposals in 20 minutes. If he can do that consistently then he might turn out to be a very important player.

R.Clarke - Started well, but tired in the second half and made a couple of poor mistakes. He wasn't nearly as bad as the commentators were making him sound, although there is room for improvement.

Fiora - Didn't do a whole lot, but his run did come in handy in the final quarter. Only a maybe for round one.

Gilbert - Easily the worst game I've seen him play. He clearly isn't a KPP right now and has lost confidence. He needs to start taking players on and tacklign like a maniac again.

Armitage - Was ok early but not sighted at all in the second half.

Birss - Solid from limited game time.

Koschitzke - No impact. Was beaten by a quality defender and failed to make the most of his opportunities.

S.Fisher - Was exposed for a lack of defensive skill and didn't provide his usual run. Not one of his best efforts.

Dal Santo - Wasn't a dominant player but he is ridiculously skilled. Doesn't make mistakes.

Blake - By far his worst game of the pre season. Hardly touched the footy and was poor defensively. Still a near certainty for round one though.

C.Gardiner - If he kicked straight it would have been a good game, however I would only call it solid. While he did contribute, he made a few mistakes and wasn't consistent.

Harvey - Very good game. Used the ball well, cut off a few Adelaide kicks and set up a few goals. Same as the last four years.

Allen - Was pretty good in defence early on, but was moved onto Tippet and was sondly beaten. He's got talent, but it is hard to imagine him holding down a key position.

Jones - Did nothing. No kicks and two tackles. Well behind Schneider, X.Clarke and Milne right now.

Geary - Relatively quiet, but still serviceable. Didn't make any big mistakes and had pretty good composure. Should play round one.

Milne - Today showed why he is definitely in our best 22. He isn't going to have 25 disposals, lay 8 tackles or kick 6 goals, but he'll consistently be dangerous, provide and option and kick the simple goals. He doesn't hurt teams around the ground, but he hurts them on the scoreboard every week.

Our defence was pretty ordinary tonight, but thankfully Adelaide only had one decent goalkicker. Our midfield and rucks broke even while our forward line just managed to do enough despite Adelaide flooding into defence whenever we got the ball in the midfield.

Not an amazing game, but I'll take the win.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

The good thing about tonight was we won but also it showed that few players are not as good as we thought so we can still improve. Those IMO were CJ, geary, Allen, fizz until the last quarter, Gardiner of the C variety

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Nota bad write up....but you need to take note of how much or how little players were on the ground.

Armo was quiet...but also probably played less than half a game.

RL kept the cream of Dal and Joey for the last quarter after resting them for two.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Sat 08 Mar 2008 10:44pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
midas_touch
Club Player

Good summary of the player performances there MSG. Wasnt the prettiest game, but we fought hard and did enough to win.

Trust the Midas Touch

"My heart is at St.Kilda, I've been here seven years, I only wanted to play for them." (Fraser Gehrig, 27/11/2007)
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:The good thing about tonight was we won but also it showed that few players are not as good as we thought so we can still improve. Those IMO were CJ, geary, Allen, fizz until the last quarter, Gardiner of the C variety
TV does not show how muchplayers were on the ground or not.

I suspect that along with Dal and Joey that Fizz was saved for the last quarter where he played very well.

Allen is a player of the future...and given his age..he did ok. He would not be expected to play much senior footy this year.

CJ was quiet...but what he did was ok... though ceratainly was not as good as the last 3 weeks. however at one stage was decoy to draw Mcleod awy from the ball.

However he was always behind Milne, X and schneider.....and he is battling for that 22nd spot with 3 or 4 others.

Geary looked ok to me...and aain it would be interesting to see his % of game time. TV does not allow you know.

Charlie playeda good serviceable game and on his GF effort and the last 3 I would expect him to play Round 1.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
plugger66 wrote:The good thing about tonight was we won but also it showed that few players are not as good as we thought so we can still improve. Those IMO were CJ, geary, Allen, fizz until the last quarter, Gardiner of the C variety
TV does not show how muchplayers were on the ground or not.

I suspect that along with Dal and Joey that Fizz was saved for the last quarter where he played very well.

Allen is a player of the future...and given his age..he did ok. He would not be expected to play much senior footy this year.

CJ was quiet...but what he did was ok... though ceratainly was not as good as the last 3 weeks. however at one stage was decoy to draw Mcleod awy from the ball.

However he was always behind Milne, X and schneider.....and he is battling for that 22nd spot with 3 or 4 others.

Geary looked ok to me...and aain it would be interesting to see his % of game time. TV does not allow you know.

Charlie playeda good serviceable game and on his GF effort and the last 3 I would expect him to play Round 1.
I wasnt really having a go at them but it does show that the games do get harder as you go further and some players may not quite be ready yet.

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

I thought tonight was a pressure situation whether players or coaches want to admit that or not. It may only be a plastic cup but the players wanted that cup, no doubt.

Certain players - Raph and CJ really showed they can't match it at the top level. Neither make my top 22 at the moment - both are 23-30 players.

I am about to watch the game again but I thought Raph in particular was ordinary at best.

And CJ just wasn't sighted.

ttufc7
Club Player

Ugly game, Some players underperforming, Extreme heat, Played interstate........................STILL WON

And with zero injuries!

Excellent signs!!! :D

yltnias
Club Player

L.Fisher - Finally found form. Was excellent at ground level and used the ball well. Didn't rack up huge stats but he saved us several Adelaide goals.
Disagree -thought he was ordinary!

R.Clarke - Started well, but tired in the second half and made a couple of poor mistakes. He wasn't nearly as bad as the commentators were making him sound, although there is room for improvement. Disagree - he was terrible!

Koschitzke - No impact. Was beaten by a quality defender and failed to make the most of his opportunities. He did kick the winning goal!!!!

Milne - Today showed why he is definitely in our best 22. He isn't going to have 25 disposals, lay 8 tackles or kick 6 goals, but he'll consistently be dangerous, provide and option and kick the simple goals. He doesn't hurt teams around the ground, but he hurts them on the scoreboard every week. Every week??? I'd like to see that!

The rest I agree - good job

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

If I had read that review without knowing the result I would have thought we had lost.

From the review it sounds like our backline had a shocker yet we kept them under 65 points and we won the game

With 3 of our best in the backline missing - Maguire, Goodard and Max - things are looking up - our backline is extremely under-rated.

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
[I wasnt really having a go at them but it does show that the games do get harder as you go further and some players may not quite be ready yet.
Fully agree......and the pressure of tonight would have taught them a lot.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Based upon all of the NAB games I would not be picking Raph for Round 1....though if Max does not play he may sneak in.