Fiora ... poor game, doubtful for Round One

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Fiora ... poor game, doubtful for Round One

I was a big supporter of Fiora's last year, and have been so since he came to the club ...

But he has been especially poor this pre-season after such a breakthrough year in 2007.

Tonight he fumbled, didn't follow up his first efforts, his tackling and disposal weren't strong and he didn't have a great impact on the game.

I was not impressed at all, and it appeared as if he had slipped back into his old habits.

With the emergence of Schneider, C. Gardiner, Geary and Armitage, I doubt Fiora will play many games in 2008.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
markp
Saintsational Legend

Sadly he may be one that Roo's bus runs over... still hope he can lift.

saintsrus
SS Hall of Fame

He played ok in the last quarter, hes a good kick but hopefully hell get a game on form not on lack of numbers ie last year

Before Im 85
iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

easily edged out of the side for R1. C Gardiner should be a country mile ahead of him.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Was quiet early...very quiet.

Will be interesting to see what his % game time was though as TV blinkers does not allow you to know ifa player is quiet due to sitting on the pine..

RL seemed to save him, Dal and Joey for the last quarter and all 3 dominated.

However looking at all of his NAB games his form while not bad would seem to be below his 2007 form.

Meanwhile both Schneider and Charlie along with King and Gadi would seem to have grabbed 4 spots in the 22 in compariosn from last year.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
matrix
Saintsational Legend

yeah he was quiet huh.....70 mins for 5 kicks and 2 handballs :?
Charlie Gardiner has been an excellent pick-up....shesh, how good has he been playing :D

Saints-06-Premiers
Club Player

Didn't notice him in the first half, did he play the first half?

Too lazy to update my username
Dal_Santos_Gal
Saintsational Legend

Saints-06-Premiers wrote:Didn't notice him in the first half, did he play the first half?
yeah he did, he put his neck on the line in the first qrt. Didn't get the ball but helped us get it.

its funny both snoop and I both pointed it out at the time, knew that the fizz bashes wouldn't have picked it up

In Ross Get lost!

I am excited to stay at St Kilda and this is a great result for the Club and all our fans. I’m proud to be part of the Saints and am pleased to be playing football with the Clubâ€
red1975

Dal_Santos_Gal wrote:
Saints-06-Premiers wrote:Didn't notice him in the first half, did he play the first half?
yeah he did, he put his neck on the line in the first qrt. Didn't get the ball but helped us get it.

its funny both snoop and I both pointed it out at the time, knew that the fizz bashes wouldn't have picked it up
A lot of people obviously didn't see the work he done without getting the ball. Not to mention he was a bit sore for a while after nearly breaking his neck again! Stood up when it counted, in the last quarter, and helped yous win the game. All you bashes will be eating your words once the real season starts. He will perform then, i have no doubt about it.

saintsrus
SS Hall of Fame

red1975 wrote:[
A lot of people obviously didn't see the work he done without getting the ball. Not to mention he was a bit sore for a while after nearly breaking his neck again! Stood up when it counted, in the last quarter, and helped yous win the game. All you bashes will be eating your words once the real season starts. He will perform then, i have no doubt about it.
Well said mate! Who do ya follow?

Before Im 85
Saints-06-Premiers
Club Player

Dal_Santos_Gal wrote:

Didn't pick it up because I was at the game and AAMI is the worst game to watch football on. I also missed alll the action in the forward pocket at the other end because I had a goalpost in the way that blocked both the play and the scoreboard above it.

Too lazy to update my username
hAyES
Club Player

Fiora is absolute crap. Hasn't done a good thing yet and should only be in the side if there's injuries.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

Thought C Gardiner struggled last night, and I thought it was Fiora's best game so far.
Was quiet in the first half but his last quarter helped set up the game.
Am not always a fan but he must be in the mix.

hAyES
Club Player

And it's not just 'poor game' for Fiora. It's been a poor whole NAB cup series for him. Very disappointed in him.

OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

Okay, first of all, I thought Fiora was servicable last night. He didn't have any great impact on the game but he didn't have any great clangers or anything either.

Second of all, its the NAb cup FFS, how can you compare his good form of the last premiership season to a NAB cup game, or even a campaign.

I usually agree with your insight and opinions Oh When The Saints but I'm afraid I don't agree with you on this one.

You'll all be proved wrong this year, mark my words.

BallBanger
Club Player

maverick wrote:Thought C Gardiner struggled last night, and I thought it was Fiora's best game so far.
Was quiet in the first half but his last quarter helped set up the game.
Am not always a fan but he must be in the mix.
Spot on...he wanted to win and ran through everything in the last quarter...did not notice him before last Q..maybe limited game time.

I'm not a Milne fan but his last q was way above average and his tackle on Mcleod....Milnee normally falls over or is easily blocked hence no pressure...but his last q has me hoping

killa_gram
Club Player

hAyES wrote:Fiora is absolute crap. Hasn't done a good thing yet and should only be in the side if there's injuries.
Couldn't agree more. I have been saying this for years. Sheesh how many chances can you give a bloke????

Problem is, I hear Ross loves him, so he will no doubt get a few charity games, even though his form doesn't warrant it.

Innocent until proven guilty!

I'm Baaaaaaaaack!!!!!!
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

killa_gram wrote:
hAyES wrote:Fiora is absolute crap. Hasn't done a good thing yet and should only be in the side if there's injuries.
Couldn't agree more. I have been saying this for years. Sheesh how many chances can you give a bloke????

Problem is, I hear Ross loves him, so he will no doubt get a few charity games, even though his form doesn't warrant it.

Nice to see that you are still rating your own opinion of him ahead of the people who are far more qualified than yourself 8-)

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Well with the NAB practice games we do know that the coaching staff used quite a number of the players in different roles and for varying amounts of ground time with many rotations used just to get match time into the fringe.

Winning the games was not a priority....giving everyone game time and being tested in various roles was.

With Fiora....only the coaches currently know whether he did enough of what they asked....and to the standrad that they require.

His last GF quarter was certainly impressive.

In the other 3..was he a dud...or was he just playing to instruction?

TV's "blinkered" view makes it very hard to tell....as sometimes players are just where the ball "ain't".

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
terry smith rules
SS Life Member

saintsRrising wrote:Well with the NAB practice games we do know that the coaching staff used quite a number of the players in different roles and for varying amounts of ground time with many rotations used just to get match time into the fringe.

Winning the games was not a priority....giving everyone game time and being tested in various roles was.

With Fiora....only the coaches currently know whether he did enough of what they asked....and to the standrad that they require.

His last GF quarter was certainly impressive.

In the other 3..was he a dud...or was he just playing to instruction?

TV's "blinkered" view makes it very hard to tell....as sometimes players are just where the ball "ain't".
exactly

we saw on tv that both 11 and 26 had not played for 30 minutes up to 3/4 time, but were not shown 17s time

but certainly in the last quarter it was those three who gave us the run and drive

Red
Club Player

Looking at the stats he wasn't on his own, we had 13 players with 12

possessions or less and 9 with less than 10. And that list includes players

nobody would want to drop. Also his efficiency was 100% unlike some

others.

wallbanger
Club Player

Players that do not apply themselves hard enough to the contest are not worthy of selection IMO. Whilst it appeared that Fiora was starting to overcome this issue last year, he has gone backwards after that performance on Saturday night.

It becomes a difficult argument when you compare Fiora to someone like Clint Jones. Fiora has all the disposal skills but lacks the intensity and hardness - Jones lacks the ability to consistently dispose of the ball but has all the courage in the world and tackles and has second efforts that inspire the whole team.

Maybe we could merge them?

For mine, Fiora will not make it as a regular in the '08 side unless he can overcome his 'softness', whether that is perceived or actual. He needs to put his body on the line more and fight for possession more - no one is saying he needs to be the next Archer, but a bit more passion and intensity would help.

He needs to closely study guys like Ball and Hayes to see how hard and ferocious they are at the contest.

Please...let's win a Premiership before GEELONG!!!! (O.k., so we've missed that opportunity...maybe let's win the next one before Geelong????)
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Looking through this thread, a lot of people seem to think Fiora won't be selected for rd. 1. Just a quick reminder that whatever our perceptions, given his '07, I'll believe that Ross Lyon isn't going to select Fiora when it happens. He's in that 20-30 on the depth chart bracket, so certainly shouldn't be resting on his laurels, but while I'm not impressed with his preseason, I'm not conviced he lost his spot.

I'm not sure how much time on ground Fiora had Saturday night, but in the 4th quarter when he was thrown on ball he got 3 clearances for the quarter, which is an excellent effort. He was invisible before that. If that was a "go show me why I should keep you" move from Lyon, you'd have to give a passing grade.

Personally, converse to his reputation, I have no issues with his hardness and many questions over his disposal...

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
Pwoit
Saintsational Legend

Signature Reading time......

killa_gram
Club Player

Pwoit wrote:Signature Reading time......
All I can see in your sig is a box with a red x. So you are either saying Fiora should be an ex player of ours because he is soo bad and should have been delisted or never picked (in which case I agree with you) or that you rate X Clarke higher than Fiora (in which case I agree with you again).
:wink:

Innocent until proven guilty!

I'm Baaaaaaaaack!!!!!!