Can Dal win the Brownlow??

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Bring back Troy Shwarze!

Can Dal win the Brownlow??

hey guys,
I have put money on our classiest player to win the big one (before the preseason when his odds were 26:1 as oppose to now, 15:1) because with Luke n lenny supporting him more this yr I think he's in for a massive year and we will win many more games so there will be more votes available for him.

I just want to know why people think he is so inconsistent throughout a game. He always goes missing for about 10mins and then suddenly pops up and does a few incredible things.

Supposing sainters make top 4, can dal win the brownlow?

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

If we finish top 2 then he's a good chance. He doesn't have to do a lot to get the umpire's attention and he hasn't missed a game since 2003. Just needs to be in a winning side and not have too many others drawing votes off him.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Can Dal win the Brownlow??

i think he is as good a chance as anyone in the competition.

he's a proven vote winner and has a good injury history (touch wood).

also he is entering his prime as a footballer and I saw some signs in match against essendon that he is about to cut loose and consistently become the match-winning champion we know he can be.

if you insist on having a bet then dal is probably as good a choice as anyone.

Bring back Troy Shwarze!

yea, forgot to mention that he is a proven vote-getter and plays every week.

In terms of other players stealing votes off him, the brownlow has shown itself to be a midfielders medal so I'm not concerned about rooey starring and dal santo certainly attracts more attention than lenny n luke ball.

If Troy shwarze was still in the team, dal would struggle!

savatage
SS Life Member

Bring back Troy Shwarze! wrote:hey guys,
I have put money on our classiest player to win the big one (before the preseason when his odds were 26:1 as oppose to now, 15:1) because with Luke n lenny supporting him more this yr I think he's in for a massive year and we will win many more games so there will be more votes available for him.

I just want to know why people think he is so inconsistent throughout a game. He always goes missing for about 10mins and then suddenly pops up and does a few incredible things.

Who are you betting with? Before the Pre-Season I got on him at 34/1 & $9.25 for a place, which is still pretty good I think.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Bring back Troy Shwarze! wrote:If Troy shwarze was still in the team, dal would struggle!
ts40, one of my favourites

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

of course he can, classiest player in the comp

and apparently hes not too bad to look at ;)

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
saintsrus
SS Hall of Fame

Not now that Robert Walls has him as his pick :roll:

AND DUD change that avatar its scaring me

Before Im 85
devil saint
Club Player

Dal is a very good bet, however if Lenny plays well he will certainly attract umpires' attention so you just never know.

Bring back Troy Shwarze!

Thanks for the replies (I didn't know Walls picked him to actually win the brownlow - I would've thought there are other players like Bartel with a mugh higher chance, i only bet on dal because of the odds).

But my bigger question was, which I'm hoping someone can answer, why do you think he goes through cold spells where he doesn't touch the ball. Is his fitness a worry? Sure he gets the #1 opposition tagger but other midfielders of his calibre are able to deal with them.

cheers guys, have a good one.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Bring back Troy Shwarze! wrote:But my bigger question was, which I'm hoping someone can answer, why do you think he goes through cold spells where he doesn't touch the ball. Is his fitness a worry? Sure he gets the #1 opposition tagger but other midfielders of his calibre are able to deal with them.
he's only 24 (I think) and is only now coming into his prime as a footballer so i think you'll find that the "cold spells" are less and less frequent as he reaches maturity.

his fitness has never been a worry. he doesn't have harvey's engine, but then again very few do.

i've noticed that dal has begun to kick important goals in big matches (starting with harvs' 350th in perth). to me that is a sign of a guy who is about to make the transition from very good player to match-winning champion.

i expect to see it a lot more often from him this season, despite the fact that he was relatively quiet in adelaide on saturday night.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

savatage wrote:
Bring back Troy Shwarze! wrote:hey guys,

Who are you betting with? Before the Pre-Season I got on him at 34/1 & $9.25 for a place, which is still pretty good I think.
You're lucky you're NOT related to George who used to post on here. He & I have a standing arrangement where I receive 20% of ALL of his winnings 8-) :lol: :wink: !!

StNoodles
Club Player

i got lenny at $126 with TAB (now 71), and joey at 251 with sportsbet.com.au (ridiculous odds imo)...

in for a big pay day if either get up! dal is definitely a chance, but not at the juicy odds i was after...

The Saintsational Man
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:
Bring back Troy Shwarze! wrote:If Troy shwarze was still in the team, dal would struggle!
ts40, one of my favourites
Bring back the wool!!!

Quixote
SS Life Member

Montagna at $251 is your definition of overs.

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

Read my Lips....Y.E.S :twisted:

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Dal WILL win the brownlow this year!!
I had money on him before round 1 2005, I was cursing Milne for weeks after his 11 goal haul :evil: :evil:

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
Dal_Santos_Gal
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote:and apparently hes not too bad to look at ;)
damn straight! :) :)

Even last year when he didn't have a great year of footy, he still managed to poll a bucket load of votes.

Could very easily take out the brownlow this year!

:)

In Ross Get lost!

I am excited to stay at St Kilda and this is a great result for the Club and all our fans. I’m proud to be part of the Saints and am pleased to be playing football with the Clubâ€
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Dal_Santos_Gal wrote:
The_Dud wrote:and apparently hes not too bad to look at ;)
damn straight! :) :)

Even last year when he didn't have a great year of footy, he still managed to poll a bucket load of votes.

Could very easily take out the brownlow this year!

:)
Yeah that was very surprising how many votes he polled, (probably stole a couple of Harvey's)...

But still, anyone who'd been reading SS would have thought he was struggling for his spot :shock:

384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
devil saint
Club Player

Seeing glimpses of how Judd played the other night suggests he must be in contention.
Regarding Dal, it is interesting that the umpires see him so differently to St Kilda people (I don't mean us, i mean those in the inner sanctum), as he has never come a place in the club B&F.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

devil saint wrote:Seeing glimpses of how Judd played the other night suggests he must be in contention.
Regarding Dal, it is interesting that the umpires see him so differently to St Kilda people (I don't mean us, i mean those in the inner sanctum), as he has never come a place in the club B&F.
Judd just has to play 7 or 8 games this season and he is in strong contention for the brownlow...

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

i don't think he'll win TBH

i think given our early season form, too many people will steal votes from him.

Lenny hayes looks awesome, as does jason Gram, reiwoldt and kosi, harvey will bob up for a few too, as will FG im sure.

Dal will poll strongly but I think we have too many classy players for him to get a clear run at the brownnose.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
spert
Saintsational Legend

I think NDS still has problems shaking taggers and as highly skilled as he is, he is a bit one-paced and hasn't got the overdrive button that some midfielders have when it counts. On the days he does play well for four quarters, he will get votes, but more consistant players will take votes from him -Hayes, Harvey and maybe Montagna more so this year from what I've seen so far.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

yep i remember watching monty several years ago when folks were bagging him for not being a star early on ><

his development could be said to more gradual, from being overlooked, to being a top up player, to being a bench player, to being a GOP in the 22, to being an outright winner the last 2 seasons.

so far Im not sure if montagna has reached his potential, and may just be the next gun in the club.

Dal Santo might get more freedom as monty, hayes, birss and others take some of the workload up.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!