Playing down the "pre season cup"

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Lenny_Hayes7
Club Player

Playing down the "pre season cup"

Paper trail leads groundsman on chase
Mark Stevens | March 11, 2008 12:00am
Email article Share Add to Digg Add to del.icio.us Post to NewsVine Post to Facebook What are these? Printer friendly Text size+- THE chief groundsman at AAMI Stadium was last seen on hands and knees, scouring the wing for bits of paper. Don't be surprised if he's still at it on the eve of Round 1, ridding the surface of confetti on steroids.

Ticker tape has become a highlight of the real premiership celebration, but to unleash so much red, white and black paper on NAB Cup final night was over-kill.

It's scary to think there was a stockpile of red, yellow and blue confetti on hand in case the result went the other way.

We assume the back-up paper will be stored away in case Adelaide salutes on the final Saturday in September. If so, the fire brigade should be on red alert.

There is no doubt it was a willing contest on Saturday night. Anyone who saw Stephen Milne's desperate spoil on Andrew McLeod and the looks of anguish on the coaches would agree.

And AFL boss Andrew Demetriou is right. The fact 10,000 turned up at Princes Park for a practice match shows not all of the pre-season excitement has been sapped.

But the reason Judd-ment day was so refreshing is because it was real; not contrived. Passionate fans. Traditional suburban venue.

The AFL tried too hard in the post-match on Saturday night.

Save the confetti for the big one. Yes, it made for fluffy photos, but the win meant less than four points in Round 1.

The AFL has a habit of milking a good idea. Sometimes it's best to keep your powder dry for when it counts.

Yes, we like the Auskick kids handing over medals on Grand Final day. But did we really need to see them on Saturday night, delaying proceedings? No.

Keep it special. Keep it for when it really has an impact.

It's a bit like the recent development of playing the Last Post before every game in the Anzac round.

Again, it is so special on Anzac Day. April 25. Leave it at that.

No review of the post-match would be complete without a sledge to the Channel 10 boundary riders, too.

The call was fine. No problems with the guys in the box.

But why so many deadly dull questions of the players on the field? We saw a succession of Saints asked about the heat and how a win is the ideal preparation.

How many times was the word "silverware" used?

Nick Riewoldt was interviewed, yet there was no question about how his knee was holding up.

They nabbed Robert Harvey, as elusive off the field as he is on it, yet missed the golden opportunity to ask about those questioning his performance the week before.

And why talk to so many Saints? Neil Craig looked angry in the box. Would it have been so tough to wander over to him and ask a question? Would have liked a brief chat with Kurt Tippett, too.

The Crows lost, yes. But this is the pre-season. We're hardly talking tears, anger and devastation. Any Adelaide fan sitting at home deserved better. And plenty were in front of the box given the disappointing crowd.

Why wasn't Andy Maher sent to Adelaide? At least the guy has news sense and nous to pounce with the right question at the right time.

Now is it just me or does this piss anyone else off ?

my les foote
Club Player

I've got to agree with most of that.

I can't imagine any non Saints fan sitting through that presentation on Saturday. It just went on and on and on to a crowd of about 500 from the sound of things.

Would have been different if held in Melbourne.

Win it for HIM!
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Pffft...more interviews of Adelaide players??..maybe there'd have been less complaints if a few more of their fans were actually at the ground and not watching the box

DO agree though that those on-field player interviews are as soft as butter. Sticking a microphone under the nose of an exhausted player at any time is never gonna get anything apart from the usual "the boys gave 100%..great team performance" cliches. Waste of time..show the fans celebrating if its a really important win

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

Is stevens an adelaide fan?

sounds like his grapes soured overnight.

the main season is where its at, and frankly no one wants to know or talk to the losers especially in a relatively minor game like this.

st kilda, 400k richer, probably worth an extra 2,000 memberships and $$ merchandising as a consequence.

adelaide 200k and questions about where they are going.

a game that was won in seconds by margins, one side comes out like roses, the other being grilled in the media, and a coach under pressure.

there save by the grace of harvey go us.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

they only stocked red black and white ticker tape, forgone conclusion :P
and now I'm so glad it was in Adelaide...stuck it right uppem :lol:

markp
Saintsational Legend

Sour grapes plain and simple...

Powder-puff on-ground interviews are the norm... should they hound the players current affair style while they're still trying to catch their breath?

Too much confetti??? ...oh dear

Presentation took too long and elaborate? ...what if Adelaide had won? If it was in melbourne and a real crowd had shown up it would've been great....

riccardo
Saintsational Legend

Re: Playing down the "pre season cup"

Lenny_Hayes7 wrote: Again, it is so special on Anzac Day. April 25. Leave it at that.

Now is it just me or does this piss anyone else off ?
This part damn sure did. Maybe the writer is a Collingwood or Essendon fan, but if we can't play on Anzac day, at the ABSOLUTE least we should be allowed to observe a minutes silence. :roll:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

There we go with people thinking this writer is an Adelaide, essendon or collingwood fan. He is a footscray supporter but has done a few pieces on the Saints. Was invited to one of their camps and the players think he is OK. It is just his opinion what is wrong with that.

Saint66au surely you are not serious saying show the supporters celebrating. If there is one thing I cant stand during games it is shots of the crowd. I am afraid it is about the players. I know the arguement the game wouldnt happen without us but i would rather a player interviewed that a shot a silly supporter carring on.

ctqs
Club Player

I'm getting a little annoyed about the earnestness going on around the importance - or lack thereof - of the NAB cup.
If they put up $380,000 for Round One of the home-and-away season, then they may have an argument. NO team can sneeze at that amount.
But other legitmate benefits of the NAB Cup include:
1. It is another piece of silverware in the cupboard. That is not to be discounted.
2. It gave our young players the chance to show their stuff in games that DID count for something, especially as the competition progressed.
3. If the matches meant nothing, why was so much read into Richmond's loss? Why was the last bit of the Geelong game so well fought by BOTH teams? Why was Essendon urinating blood (metaphorically) after we beat them?
Good teams win full stop. It doesn't matter where or when, or sometimes even how.

Still waiting for closure ... if you get my drift.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

ctqs wrote:I'm getting a little annoyed about the earnestness going on around the importance - or lack thereof - about the NAB cup.
If they put up $380,000 for Round One of the home-and-away season, then they may have an argument. NO team can sneeze at that amount.
But other legitmate benefits of the NAB Cup include:
1. It is another piece of silverware in the cupboard. That is not to be discounted.
2. It gave our young players the chance to show their stuff in games that DID count for something, especially as the competition progressed.
3. If the matches meant nothing, why was so much read into Richmond's loss? Why was the last bit of the Geelong game so well fought by BOTH teams? Why was Essendon urinating blood (metaphorically) after we beat them?
Good teams win full stop. It doesn't matter where or when, or sometimes even how.
The problem with your 3 points is one word. Carlton.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:The problem with your 3 points is one word. Carlton.
that's true. carlton won a couple of pre-season premierships recently and then showed absolutely nothing come the real stuff.

however we have the advantage of having won this one without really appearing to try until the grand final.

up until then we really hadn't got out of second gear whereas carlton were obviously busting a gut when they won theirs.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Dan Warna wrote:Is stevens an adelaide fan?
Pathetic cop-out Dan, even as a throwaway line.

Mark Stevens is an excellent journo - as knowedgable as the best of them. FYI, he's a passionate Bulldogs supporter, but like you and me, he's a real fan of his team and footy, too.

The article was spot on the money. The AFL went way, way overboard with the confetti, medals, etc. Not needed; save the ceremony for September. Unless the AFL ramps up the NAB Cup to Carling Cup status, than it's really still just a money-grabbing warm up. Sorry.

I agreed with all his points - loved the 'keep the powder dry' point.

Overkill is what cheapens the game. I have to admit, I think even doing the last post at other, non-ANZAC Day AFL games is pretty bad form...football should pay tribute on ANZAC Day...not ANZAC weekend...or ANZAC month.

They used to play the national anthem before every NSL game - a shocking thing to do. Complete overkill. Save it for the appropriate occasions.

Great article.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Saint66au surely you are not serious saying show the supporters celebrating. If there is one thing I cant stand during games it is shots of the crowd. I am afraid it is about the players. I know the arguement the game wouldnt happen without us but i would rather a player interviewed that a shot a silly supporter carring on.
No offence meant, but you must be a million laughs to go to games with

Remember the Troy Schwarze game v Brisbane? Well while you were no doubt quietly contemplating a job well done, me (and the rest of the ground from what I could see) were embracing anything that moved and trying to break its ribs....and imho trying to convey that emotion to people at home is just great telly, pure and simple.

Watch the replay. When Troy kicks that goal theres a shot of the crowd...2 little girls (sorry..silly supporters) are jumping in the air screaming their lungs out grabbing each other in joy. THATS whats footy's all about to me and brings me back every week..the emotion that games like that brings, not players declaring that they were just glad to take the four points and what an even team performance it was. Save that for the after-match presser.

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Lenny_Hayes7
Club Player

Without Supporters there is no footy team.. Period!

snoopygirl
SS Life Member

Rd 22 2005 St. Kilda v Brisbane when Milne kicked 11 was also a pretty good game to be at from a supporters point of view. Aren't the players there to entertain us at the end of the day? Same as showing the crowd at a rock concert. No point them being on stage if they're not pleasing us, the ones who pay. Why else would you go to see them?

Lenny_Hayes7
Club Player

Don't you remember when you were younger and you always wanted to sit in the front row? Then when you got home you would watch the replay to see if you were on TV or not?

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

sure I'm certain harvey would trade his 3 pre season cups and his personal awards for 1 premiership medal.

few teams (except carlton and richmond in recent seasons) INCLUDING US have fielded anywhere near their full team till the second or usually 3rd round of the competition.

by the time you get to the semi finals, you are looking at 100k prize money for a loss and 200k minimum if you make it to the finals.

400k cash for the win.

as I argued earlier in the season, it has the following effects:

attracts sponsors
attracts the bandwaggon members (yep there are folks like thou and I and many here who buy their memberships every year, but there are a floating population of up to 10,000 people who decide on their membership based on early season form)

attracts merchandise sales, Im sure the sales of scarves, beanies etc will be up several thousand $$$ over the next few weeks, ESPECIALLY if we carry through this form into the real season.

I am not reading anything into the preseason form aside form an opportunity to see and assess some of our players and the coach.

the anger and bitterness at the result and umpires by the adelaide fans show the depth of feeling on this loss.

over the top? maybe, but IMO this win is probably worth close to a million dollars to the club in prizemoney, memberships, merchandising and sponsorship.

could be more if we carry the form through to the season.

our 03 to 06 form brought in the $$, our drama and 07 form probably caused a tail off in revenue and our attractiveness to sponsors.

if we can refind our winning form the offers will come in again.

am I talking off field? absolutely

North have been winnign for a decade and have SFA cash to show for it, St Kilda is Richmond lite when it comes to latent membership. we have a great core of about 20 to 25k members and a latent vaccilating support of about 10k members.

winning is the difference between that 10k members hadning over $200 and not.

is it cheap? maybe but its a reality.

the microscope will be drilling in on st kilda and ross lyon and nick reiwoldts knee and balls balls, and goddard and for gardners social life and the like.

IMO for much of his time RB was president he turned that microscope in $$ and profit.

its up to the new boys in charge to ensure there is a st kilda for my kids to watch as well.

and winning something as trashy as the preseaon cup helps a little bit.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
yipper
SS Life Member

saint66au wrote:

Remember the Troy Schwarze game v Brisbane? Well while you were no doubt quietly contemplating a job well done, me (and the rest of the ground from what I could see) were embracing anything that moved and trying to break its ribs....and imho trying to convey that emotion to people at home is just great telly, pure and simple.

Watch the replay. When Troy kicks that goal theres a shot of the crowd...2 little girls (sorry..silly supporters) are jumping in the air screaming their lungs out grabbing each other in joy. THATS whats footy's all about to me and brings me back every week..the emotion that games like that brings, not players declaring that they were just glad to take the four points and what an even team performance it was. Save that for the after-match presser.
Exactly - well put. AFL is an emotional game, who gets emotional?? The fans, it makes good tv to capture that emotion. Still if some killjoys prefer to sit comatose at the footy and expect others to do the same - well and good. Do you hear all that noise when a team kicks a goal in an AFL match?? - that comes from the fans. If a TV Sports producer wishes to capture that image in an attempt to convey the emotion and passion involved with our great game - then that is a good thing don't you think??

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:

I dont understand because I dont want to see the crowd on TV I dont have fun at the footy. Dont know about you but the one thing I do have is laughs either with friends at home or at the footy.

I would rather see the players after a great goal. when you are at the footy when a goal is kicked we jump up and get excited and maybe I am different but I look to see how excited the players are not the guy I dont know who is next to me. So IMO TV should be the same.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

ctqs wrote: 1. It is another piece of silverware in the cupboard. That is not to be discounted.
I think it is.

I'd rather us win than lose, but calling a praccy match win 'silverware' and a 'flag' or even a 'premiership' is a disgrace.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

How do you reckon JELDWEN are feeling right about now?
How many times did their name/logo get shown on National TV in the last couple of weeks?

And what a great move from the Vodaphone local manager. I just hope someone with authority at Vodaphone watched teh games over the last 2 weekends and counted how many times JELDWEN appeared instead of Vodaphone.

The shots of the coaching box with the 'Corinthinan Doors' signs very prominent.

And all those inane questions with the players after the game, with JELDWEN displayed prominently on the jumper.

Afterall, isn't this what sponsorship is for? Increased public awareness.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote: I'd rather us win than lose, but calling a praccy match win 'silverware' and a 'flag' or even a 'premiership' is a disgrace.
WOW....lets hope for a disgraceful year then :!: :!:

It is what it is...but a disgrace it is not.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
yipper
SS Life Member

saintsRrising wrote:
rodgerfox wrote: I'd rather us win than lose, but calling a praccy match win 'silverware' and a 'flag' or even a 'premiership' is a disgrace.
WOW....lets hope for a disgraceful year then :!: :!:

It is what it is...but a disgrace it is not.
Yawn... I'm sure Mr Jeld-Wen thought it was a disgrace having his logo emblazoned across television screens right across the country. And that his logo was prominently displayed on the jumpers of the winning team in this "disgraceful" Nationally televised "Grand Final". And that the Jeld-Wen Saints were then featured prominently in the next 2 days papers enjoying the win and basking in the fact that they just played 4 pretty good games of footy and won them all - including a "disgraceful" Trophy for being the best team in the pre-season televised competition. Don't think the sponsors would really give a flying fig whether ppl think that calling the NAB cup a Grand Final was a disgrace or not.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.