Reiwoldt Captain

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

StPeter
Club Player

Reiwoldt Captain

Just announced. Lenny vice captain

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

Yeah good choice i think,

riccardo
Saintsational Legend

Nice to finally have one captain only.

Disagree with the decision, would have prefered Lenny, just on a personal level.

But good luck to Riewoldt, he deserves the appointment.

killa_gram
Club Player

Should have been Lenny IMO.

Innocent until proven guilty!

I'm Baaaaaaaaack!!!!!!
Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

i think he deserved it, but i also disagree with it.

Lennon
Club Player

Great choice, deserves it most out of anyone.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

LETS BE POSITIVE ON THIS

CONGRATS ROO !!

bendigo bob
Club Player

Very happy with Roo but I think Lenny or Kosi would do an equally good job (maybe even better IMHO)

Am pleased to see a single captain again though.

BJ has arrived!!!!!!!!!!

BJ's #1 Fan

Winner of the half time Social Club auction for Kosi's jumper Round 19 2005
Can we build it? Yes we can!!
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Stiff to be Lenny.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

It's great that we had so many great leaders to pick from, unlike Collingwood who were considering the likes of Fraser and Maxwell, and Carlton who have a skipper who's never played a premiership match for them!

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

Beno88 wrote:It's great that we had so many great leaders to pick from, unlike Collingwood who were considering the likes of Fraser and Maxwell, and Carlton who have a skipper who's never played a premiership match for them!
You do have a very good point here,

and yes it was very stiff for lenny, hopefully he is VC,
and hope harvey gets to be captain for Grandfinal Day to hold up that cup

St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

Lenny is VC. He was my preference for sole Captain, but Roo will do a great job too, and be ably supported by Lenny and the rest of the leadership group.

older saint
SS Life Member

Real test for Riewoldt. Hayes would have been my choice. To me he compares to Harley, very good but not the best player but real leadership. Test for Riewoldt now could be the thing which takes him to the next level as a footballer. The decicion makers are closer to the place than any of us so we must trust the decision. Time will tell

esaint66
SS Life Member

Beno88 wrote:It's great that we had so many great leaders to pick from, unlike Collingwood who were considering the likes of Fraser and Maxwell, and Carlton who have a skipper who's never played a premiership match for them!

yeh i know great point.

it has its lowlights as well as highlights having more than 1 great outstanding leader. bad luck lenny (would have been my captain if i made the choice) but good luck roo.

i personally think collingwood just made up names to make it more suspensful either that or they really are dumb like we've been saying for years :lol: .

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote:Real test for Riewoldt. Hayes would have been my choice. To me he compares to Harley, very good but not the best player but real leadership. Test for Riewoldt now could be the thing which takes him to the next level as a footballer. The decicion makers are closer to the place than any of us so we must trust the decision. Time will tell

When he's fit he's damn close to the best player Harley is top 10 in his club lenny would be top 2 easily.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Tell Reiwoldt to get some AGRESSION in his game....And he will be complete.

Over wise Hayes would have been the best choice....the the above reason alone (as they are square on each and every other facet of being a good captain)

milney044
Club Player

I would have gone with Lenny personally but Roo will do the job nicely. Good to hear that we only have the one captain and Lenny is vice. They both deserve the title and are old enough now to handle the responsibility.

Congratulations Nick

Destiny. It's in our hands.

Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.
Saint-Nick
Club Player

I've ordered a copy of Aussie Rules For Dummies, so I can learn the nitty gritty. I'm expecting it late this month. :D

In the meantime, please forgive my ignorance (and remember, "There is no such thing as a stupid question!")... I don't really know what a Captain is supposed to do.

If you were to write a job description for Team Captain, what would it be?

Thanks!

Oh how I want to be with St Kilda
When the Saints go marching in!
SB10
Club Player

To be honest I'm a little shocked that so many of you prefer Lenny over Roo as skipper.

Don't get me wrong I'm one of Lenny's biggest fans, but Roo is clearly our best player and without doubt the most important cog in the team.

IMO he had to be made captain. Hopefully this yearly discussion on captaincy is a thing of the past and Roo can concentrate on leading the team

LENNY LEADS THE WAY
Club Player

Great to have the decision finalised now lets get out there and make 2008 our year

100 percent behind the saints 100 percent of the time
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

SB10 wrote:To be honest I'm a little shocked that so many of you prefer Lenny over Roo as skipper.

Don't get me wrong I'm one of Lenny's biggest fans, but Roo is clearly our best player and without doubt the most important cog in the team.

IMO he had to be made captain. Hopefully this yearly discussion on captaincy is a thing of the past and Roo can concentrate on leading the team
Best player isn't a formula for best Captain.

In fact...every junior and senior team I have playing in hasn't had the best player as Captain.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Saint-Nick wrote:I've ordered a copy of Aussie Rules For Dummies, so I can learn the nitty gritty. I'm expecting it late this month. :D

In the meantime, please forgive my ignorance (and remember, "There is no such thing as a stupid question!")... I don't really know what a Captain is supposed to do.

If you were to write a job description for Team Captain, what would it be?

Thanks!
Flip the Coin.

Reality - It is the single point of leadership within a team. IE a power and responsibility above their team mates both on and off the field.

-Should be the major voice of the team to the coach, umpires, opposition and media.
-Should be well respected and a role model for each and every one of their team mates.
-...and a lot of other things.

OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

I think a lot of people here are forgetting Riewoldt's extremely rousing B and F speech. If this isn't the words of a deserved captain, well.... what else can I say?

Perfect leader IMO. Nothing against Lenny, he's a great natural leader too but perfectly happy with the appointment of Roo.

esaint66
SS Life Member

Spinner wrote:
SB10 wrote:To be honest I'm a little shocked that so many of you prefer Lenny over Roo as skipper.

Best player isn't a formula for best Captain.

In fact...every junior and senior team I have playing in hasn't had the best player as Captain.

*cough* carlton *cough* judd. :lol:

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Spinner wrote:Tell Reiwoldt to get some AGRESSION in his game....And he will be complete.

Over wise Hayes would have been the best choice....the the above reason alone (as they are square on each and every other facet of being a good captain)
Congrats to Riewoldt but Yeah agreed Spinner, getting a bit sick of the stick from opposition fans about the "gabba" incident. ROo is a good player, sets a good example but you want to see that "grunt" from a captain that Lenny would have shown.
Lets hope it becomes part of his game this year

Seeya