Rumour that cousins has signed with port Melb on BF

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Dan Warna wrote: I don't see it as st kilda's responsiblity to rehabilitate him, or invest in his potential rehabilitation.
Once a club selects a player, it is their responsibility to help the in any way it can. Why shouldn't we help in his rehabilitation if it is mutally beneficial?

It isn't all take at a football club anymore.
Dan Warna wrote:I see him as a potential risk and the benifits do not outweigh the risks.
Risks to whom? Other players, the clubs reputation, your feelings of self worth? As i said if the club deem it advantageous to have Cousins well, I would take their knowledge over yours anyday. You have a right to your opinion, although it is based on intolerance and ignorance. Oh thas my opinion BTW.
Dan Warna wrote:As I've said over the past few years, I see the current core list of players as more than capable of winning a premiership with a bit of luck, I don't think cousins adds that much to the mix, nor do I believe the potential, given his age, his attitude, outweight the costs of investing $$ in him.
Fair points. But I totally and utterly disagree. He would not cost much, Harvs would be gone and he would be great in our midfield.
Dan Warna wrote:Good on him if he can turn his life around and be a success or at least a law abiding citizen, I don't see it as my responsibility nor as the responsibility of the st kilda football club to contribute to that.
If we selected him it would be. Of course it would be. Just as we have been responsible and have helped Michael Gardiner back to senior level.
Dan Warna wrote:and to some degree, st kilda football club and football does reflect society's issues.

you'd be surprised at how kids copy their football stars, and you'd be suprised how teenagers mimic their idols.
this is a complete cop out I'm afraid. You reckon kids will copy Cousins? Dear me, it is up to parents to give their kids some moral direction, not relying on some fictitious role model, based on the myth of celebretey and then attempt to lay the blame at the so called role models feet when all goes wrong :roll:
Dan Warna wrote:St Kilda over the past decade has invested a lot of resources in developing the footballers we have OUTSIDE football, public speaking, financial management, diet, secondary and tertiary education, health promotion, family days, auskick etc etc.
Your argument is confused. First you question why we do anything for Cousins outside of football, now you are lourding the fact that we do invest resources in our players outside of football. :? :?

Why wouldn't you afford Cousin that same opportunity all other saints players have or have had if he became a Saint? Still seem like you want to punish Cousins for some reson.
Dan Warna wrote:i believe the management under Rod Butters has made st kilda a far more family oriented team than say 20 odd years ago.
only the occasional rape accusation, peeing on womens legs, assualt at pubs etc, what family are you referring to/ The Manson family?

Anyway just subjective motherhood statements - means nothing.
Dan Warna wrote:my kids look forward to auskick at moorabin and going down to training when I have a day off and the like.

My son was very excited to have a photo taken with xavier clarke, robert harvey and others.
Umm Rod Butters didn't introduce open training sessions and autographs Dan Warna.

I take it that you would confiscate the phot of X fo example if came out he made a mistake (humans do you know) and he was no longer your sons role model? Or would you try to explain that all people make mistakes, and that you become a better, more tolerant person by learning from mistakes and moving on?

You choice Dan.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
markp
Saintsational Legend

Interesting hypothetical... and brawl!

I say 'if' all the boxes were ticked (rehab, took responsibility, desire, body etc.), it didn't cost us too much, and the planets aligned then hell yes!

He's sick, not a murderer

He'd be on a one strike contract too I'm sure...

But what are the odds?

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

yes it is my choice, and given cousins track record over several years, he represents an risk, wasted spot on the list, wasted salary, and poor role model.

cop out? see it how you want, I can't see that cousins has done or shown anything to prove that he has changed in any way from his behaviour at WCE.

we develop players we have selected, I don't see why we have to pick up and repair a substantially damaged player like cousins.

I would suggest cousins would cost several hundred thousand at least, as there several clubs who would be willing to take a risk on cousins, it is quite likely if not highly likely a minor bidding war would arise if cousins services were available, or he would enter the draft and go to teh team with the best draft choices.

I have no comment regarding gardiner, however I have said the club is bigger than any player or person or even any individual supporter.

copy? absolutely, there are very impressionable kids out there, and yes I am quite strict and protective of my kids. No i wouldn't lay the blame at the feet of role models, as I try to explain things inthe news and newspapers to my kids, and to explain what the learn from their peers at school.

As I said earlier, cousins is already damaged goods, investing in developing a player, is different to taking a player already damaged and repairing.

when have I ever condoned rape? peeing on women, assault at pubs etc?

no RB didn't change that but I believe that over the past 15 odd years the club has worked very hard at cleaning up st kilda's image from the moorabin disco to presenting and educating our young players, some of the education the kids today go through with regard to womens issues, racism would have been unheard of if 1990, and what language was acceptable with regard to racism 15 odd years ago isn't now, im sure you remember what mcadam and winmar used to cop, sometimes from our own fans.

If X did turn out to be mass murdering maniac, yes I would instruct my children (my sons favourite player) that x is a bad man who was faking being nice, and he isn't someone you should respect.

I believe the only solution would a strict discipline of drug testing to ensure he is clean over the next 12 months before he is allowed to nominate as AFL is considered one of the premier sports in Australia.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Riccardo, I like to smoke joints socially with some of my mates, youd never know we "use marijuana" though, not your typical stereotype. Does that mean you yould give me the cold shoulder? If so, thats sad.

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:No way known would I want Cousin's playing for us, aside from anything else his best football is in the past, much prefer to bring through some new fresh young talent.

Besides without the drugs, two years out of the game, would be over 30, how good is he?

We don't need him or his influence around our football club!

I would be appalled if we went after him, anyhow I'm quite sure we won't.
but we have MIchael Gardiner , he was INvolved in the mafia,

ace
Saintsational Legend

Some people think Carlton got Chris Judd wrong.
Carlton traded pick No 3 and a young No 4 for HALF of Chris Judd.
His career is half over.
His greatest value to Carlton may be increased membership, marketing and sponsorship.

Cousins will not help anyone with marketing or gaining sponsors.
Even if you ignore Cousins private life and only take into account his football you have to query his value.

Cousins can only be expected to deliver for 2 to 4 years.
If you draft Cousins you only get at best a quarter of a great player.
A first round draft pick should be better than that.
Assuming no priorty picks St Kilda will have pick No 16, 32, 48, 64 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Which pick would you use get Cousins.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

character issues aside if you bring ben into the club he will obviosly come at a cost and unlike the risk you have with any player you also have the risk of if he reoffends and gets done say mid season then again the AFL would have to ban him so in effect we get srewd cause we would lose a quallity player and also lose what we gave up for him , we have the same issue with gardi but in gardys case if we lost nothing to get him . so if you add the pros and the cons of bringing Ben to the club i think the con's win quiet easily especially when we could be passing up a future 300 game player for a bloke who at best would play 2 seasons for the saints

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/