So, the 2008 season is upon us.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

yipper
SS Life Member

So, the 2008 season is upon us.

And we are once again being put up as the team most likely?? After a strong pre-season both on and off-field, we have put ourselves in a very good position to hit the season running.

How will the best 22 look? What will be the gameplan? Will injuries rear their ugly heads again? The momentum built up over summer sees us with a record membership level at comparison times previously - so the punters and supporters are backing us to go well. So how will we go? My view is that the club took a step back last season in order to move forward again. We have, it seems, an imposing ruck combination and a fit and re-juvenated midfield, we have the moist prospect of playing a forward line of Kosi, Roo and G all together with a Milne and a Schneider at their feet. Our tackling skills appear to have been ramped up over the summer break quite emphatically on the NAB praccy series form. And there is an air of confidence, a determination eminating from the group that has developed on the back of some strong, fighting words from the new captain at his B&F speech in October.

So, all this combined with a pretty good draw - I reckon a top 4 spot is a must, my prediction is 3rd at the end of the H&A series. On NAB form we appear to have a far more attacking game based on some ruck strength and midfield talent. We are an obviously bigger team than in 07' and we certainly appear to be much fitter. So I'm looking forward to an exciting season where our stars all shine and our coach starts putting the runs on the board. Will be there this week eager to see what transpires - a big win to the Saints and that momentum will really start to roll.

Go Sainters.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: So, the 2008 season is upon us.

yipper wrote:And we are once again being put up as the team most likely?? After a strong pre-season both on and off-field, we have put ourselves in a very good position to hit the season running.

How will the best 22 look? What will be the gameplan? Will injuries rear their ugly heads again? The momentum built up over summer sees us with a record membership level at comparison times previously - so the punters and supporters are backing us to go well. So how will we go? My view is that the club took a step back last season in order to move forward again. We have, it seems, an imposing ruck combination and a fit and re-juvenated midfield, we have the moist prospect of playing a forward line of Kosi, Roo and G all together with a Milne and a Schneider at their feet. Our tackling skills appear to have been ramped up over the summer break quite emphatically on the NAB praccy series form. And there is an air of confidence, a determination eminating from the group that has developed on the back of some strong, fighting words from the new captain at his B&F speech in October.

So, all this combined with a pretty good draw - I reckon a top 4 spot is a must, my prediction is 3rd at the end of the H&A series. On NAB form we appear to have a far more attacking game based on some ruck strength and midfield talent. We are an obviously bigger team than in 07' and we certainly appear to be much fitter. So I'm looking forward to an exciting season where our stars all shine and our coach starts putting the runs on the board. Will be there this week eager to see what transpires - a big win to the Saints and that momentum will really start to roll.

Go Sainters.
terrific positive post yipper

GO SAINTS

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

Re: So, the 2008 season is upon us.

yipper wrote:My view is that the club took a step back last season in order to move forward again.
My view is that we were flatlining and that Ross Lyon had no time to correct the issues he identified that needed to be addressed such as fitness, conditioning and recruiting/personnel and had to work with what he inherited from the mess that existed previously.

The club have turned things around spectacularly off the field, with a new board, new fitness and conditioning staff, new football manager, excellent recruiting and the players are the fittest they've ever been after having done their toughest off season training regime.

Irrespective of who was coaching us last year imho we were stagnating, but the mini rebuild coupled with a whole new professionally run football department, most definitely will see us moving forward, onwards and upwards.

So rather than having taking a step backwards last year, I disagree in that I honestly believe we would have missed the finals with Thomas coaching after we'd already gone from 4th to 8th and that without a mini rebuild and some serious off field intervention which is what has occured since the 2007 season finished, this trend was simply going to continue.

What the club have achieved since the end of the 2007 season is quite simply spectacular and for the first time in the St.Kilda Football Club's history we have a professionally run football department.

We are also very lucky to have one of the smartest football thinker's in Ross Lyon, driving the whole thing, because he know's what's required and he will not settle for anything less.

With what he inherited last year he was on a hiding to nothing, his game plan will be the same imho, but instead of what we had to put up with last year due to things beyond his immediate control, with the extra fitness base, genuine quality ruckmen, other quicker younger player's coming through, a few handy pick up's, players more familiar with the message and a now developed healthy relationship between coach and player's, there will be a quantum leap in not only the result on the scoreboard but also in the quality of the football that we will play, as finally, at long last all the right processes are in place.

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
Go Sretnias Go
Club Player

They are my sentiments as well Yipper, with the one exception, list/player management throughout the year.

I can see Rossy resting some players from time to time for whole games and part games off the bench. Harves of course is one, Maxy another and maybe Kosi, Roo, GTrain, King, Gardi every now and then in order to spread their peak fitness levels over the season.

Rossy can afford to do it this year if our injury levels are low and fitness levels high which, I hope under Misson, will be the case.

Once a Sainter always a Sainter.
yipper
SS Life Member

[quote="Go Sretnias Go"]They are my sentiments as well Yipper, with the one exception, list/player management throughout the year.

I can see Rossy resting some players from time to time for whole games and part games off the bench. Harves of course is one, Maxy another and maybe Kosi, Roo, GTrain, King, Gardi every now and then in order to spread their peak fitness levels over the season.

Rossy can afford to do it this year if our injury levels are low and fitness levels high which, I hope under Misson, will be the case.[/quote]

Especially if we have wins in the bank!! A good start will be a critical factor in adopting that process.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
chook23
Saintsational Legend

yipper wrote:
Go Sretnias Go wrote:They are my sentiments as well Yipper, with the one exception, list/player management throughout the year.

Rossy can afford to do it this year if our injury levels are low and fitness levels high which, I hope under Misson, will be the case.[/quote]

Especially if we have wins in the bank!! A good start will be a critical factor in adopting that process.
Not a little ahead of ourselves here!!

Maybe harves...........

We will be flat out with others fighting for top 4

fingers crossed re injuries

lets hope we win the higher % of close ones as well......

:wink: (hoping not most used in NAB)

saint4life
spert
Saintsational Legend

Geelong won the flag through having a balanced team across all positions -and a good run of luck with minimum injuries to key players. We have improved balance from what I have seen so far, RL seems to be a pretty good tactician, and if we keep our better players on the field for the season, then no reason why we cant go a few steps further.