Harvey right to go on says Blakey

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Huzzad
Club Player

Harvey right to go on says Blakey

Harvey right to go on, says Blakey

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/h ... 64686.html

JOHN Blakey, who Robert Harvey will pass tonight on the list of games played, has joined the chorus backing the St Kilda legend's decision to continue to play.

Coincidentally, Blakey, a former Fitzroy and North Melbourne defender and now a Sydney assistant coach, will sit in the Swans' coach's box during the match against the Saints at Telstra Dome as Harvey passes his 359-game mark.

It will leave the dual Brownlow medallist with only Michael Tuck (426), Kevin Bartlett (403), Simon Madden (378), Craig Bradley (375) and Bernie Quinlan (366) in front of him.

While former Saints coach Grant Thomas and Hawthorn legend Dermott Brereton recently questioned whether the 36-year-old had played on a season too long, Blakey said his former opponent had made the right decision.

As Blakey scoured tapes of Harvey in preparation for tonight's clash, he joined St Kilda coach Ross Lyon, captain Nick Riewoldt and Adelaide midfielder Nathan van Berlo in a public show of support.

"I don't think you can ever write off Robert Harvey," Blakey said. "Eventually time catches up to all of us, but St Kilda will use him smartly.

"You can use him in a lesser role on the ground and he's just as important to the side as he has been in previous years.

"I was lucky enough to play pretty long myself, but this is his 21st year and to win two Brownlows as well … to get to that sort of age in the modern game is unheard of and he is an absolute freak."

Blakey, who hung up his boots at the end of 2002, said he understood why the great Saint wanted to keep playing as retirement was so brutally final.

"For me, my form dropped away a little bit and I spent some time in the seconds then fought my way back and finished off playing some OK football towards the back half of the year. But I was 36 and had struggled to get through the year and I just knew my time was up.

"You love the game so much that you just want to keep playing and keep playing, but eventually your time does come. If Robert had have struggled last year he probably would have really thought of giving the game away, but he had a super year and would be thinking St Kilda are a real chance to play finals football and featuring deep."

www.wikisaints.com - Your Online St Kilda Encyclopedia!

www.truesainters.com - A Friendly Forum Alternative

http://truesainters.wordpress.com - Player of the Round articles, match previews and reviews
matrix
Saintsational Legend

so if he plays all year AND finals he'll go to the #3 spot....sweet.
should be a bronze statue made of the legend :D

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

matrixcutter wrote:should be a bronze statue made of the legend :D
Agree totally. Regardless of its at the new training venue or at Moorabbin Harvs totally deserves the Rocky treatment, I hope he has a stellar year topped off with a flag. Its the right way to send him off.

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

as I said on another forum when some one said "its an embarrassment for st kilda that harvey is still amongst their best players" my response was "its an embarrassment that harveyis still better than most of YOUR players"

fact remains till injured harvey wsa in the top 20 players in the league for form, by most player performance measures and media guides.

back quarter of the season he was down on form after returning frm a bad injury, but in his defence, on form he was still in the top 20% of players in the league...

now I'd like to see how many ohter players 10 years his junior player through injury, with his recovery period and bost a performance over a season of his quality.

Am i a harvey apologist? Hell no, I just point to the statistics...harvey still effective, harvey still EARNING his place in the side.

on form, its pretty hard to see who in the list, who is available, is better than harvey.

with the possible exception of geeling with their full list available, on current form, which team harvey would NOT be in the best rotation.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

was telling (and not surprising) that when the nab cup final was in the balance, harvs was the one who put his hand up.

i expect him to diminish a little this year (who wouldn't at his age) ... but watch him in the big games and when we need something special from someone.

that's when the champions come to the fore.
Last edited by bigcarl on Sat 22 Mar 2008 9:00am, edited 1 time in total.

Unforgiven
SS Life Member

I hope we use him ''smartly'' this year as we have in the past. Obviously spending a bit less time on the ground. Probably most beneficial for the team and for Harvs. Maybe even spending some time around the half forward flank. Get the ball in his hands kicking to the forwards :wink: :twisted:

Carpe Diem
DJKCR
Club Player

If they were to knock out a Bronze statue of Harvs what pose would you like him in. Even though it isn't an exciting action shot I'd love the hunched over gathering his breath look. The exact same look that opposition players have previously seen and thought that they'd ran him into submission before he turns around running off gathering some more possessions.

"I don't roll on Shabbas" Walter Sobchak
The Peanut
Club Player

DJKCR wrote:If they were to knock out a Bronze statue of Harvs what pose would you like him in. Even though it isn't an exciting action shot I'd love the hunched over gathering his breath look. The exact same look that opposition players have previously seen and thought that they'd ran him into submission before he turns around running off gathering some more possessions.
I also love harves 'leaning over/beware' pose ... but here is another one

aussiejones
Club Player

hunched over gathering his breath look.....

So many nany time hes been written off by commentators ......
"bad sign for saints Harvey is all spent "

Then he is off again ..........doing his magic