Dangerous tactics by Sydney !!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Dangerous tactics by Sydney !!

I really think something needs to be done immediately about this tactic of "Taking a Players legs out from underneath him" in a marking contest. This has the potential to have players landing on their head causing real damage to the skull or spine.

Offenders last night included C. Bolton, Roberts-Thompson, Barry & Jolly. This occured too many times for it to be a co-incedence and appears to be a tactic by Sydney aimed at combating the height advantage that quite a few clubs have over their undersized backline.

Lets hope that the AFL cracks down on it SOON !!

milney044
Club Player

Plus the constant holding of the jumpers when our boys did not even have the footy. Hate to tell you umps but this actually isn't legal. Funny though, they were allowed to do it time and time again :roll:
What's the use of a third umpire if they refuse to control/look out for this kind of stuff?

Destiny. It's in our hands.

Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.
The Saintsational Man
Club Player

milney044 wrote:Plus the constant holding of the jumpers when our boys did not even have the footy. Hate to tell you umps but this actually isn't legal. Funny though, they were allowed to do it time and time again :roll:
What's the use of a third umpire if they refuse to control/look out for this kind of stuff?
The AFL love the swans.....simple.....they can do no wrong.

If Freo or Port introduced the flood, they'd have rules stopping it by now.

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Eastern - you are 100% correct. AFL has to act before a player is seriously injured but first they have to be alerted to the tactic. I hope that I am not alone on Tuesday writing to the AFL regarding my concerns regarding this tactic. It has no impact on us for months but the next Swans opponent may not be as lucky as our boys last night.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
Solar
Saintsational Legend

I loved KB on SEN this morning before the bulldogs/crows match. A caller asked him why the swans were allowed to get away with this last night and KB first said he didn't see the match, then agreed with the others on the call that perhaps bloton didn't mean it.

Personally the one that annoyed me was the tagging tactics of kirk on dal, it was worse then baker ever did but do we hear anything in the media the next day! No wonder dal struggles to get into the play when he is pulled by the jumper everytime he goes for the ball.

Swans are very very good at knowing just where the umpire is and how far they can go to get any little advantage. Throwing the ball and elbows at back of packs are two good examples of how the umpire is blindsided by a mass of players.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Solar wrote:...
Swans are very very good at knowing just where the umpire is and how far they can go to get any little advantage. Throwing the ball and elbows at back of packs are two good examples of how the umpire is blindsided by a mass of players.
One of the highlights of that very ugly game of football was simply making it out without any injuries. I thought an early tackle on X (without the ball) was cheap (umpire was creened from the play), the hit on CJ's mark was cheap (IMO, Sydney player was never trying to mark), and Hall was Hall... the constant legging of Reiwoldt had my heart in my mouth.

It seems at times that Sydney actually decides "okay, we're probably giving up a free kick here, might as well stick it" and just straight out try and hurt someone.

Everyone does it to some extent, but Sydney have made an art form of it. Thank god the game's over.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

my_les_foote put this up in another thread - shows Bolton clearly using dog tactics.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Great work MLF, thanks for informing us Icey

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
Duggie
Club Player

Only a concerted complaint by us and other clubs that have to suffer this filthy (typically rotten Swines tactic) will bring it to an end. Unless of course the AFL maintains its favour of the Roos cult.
Did they not let him off the hook recently over the "dont score a goal" matter? :lol:

A Saint Forever!
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Look Roos is a farken idiot.

He reckons that he can still win a flag playing bultish ultra defensive footy and he is kidding himself.

The whole Swine game plan is based on negativity and boring the opposition to death and forcing mistakes through lack of passion by the opposition.

Just look at Reiwoldt's reaction when the final siren went - he just chucked the ball away - "stuff this!"

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Saints planning challenge to Swans 'tunnelling' tactic
Caroline Wilson | March 25, 2008

ST KILDA is reviewing the potentially dangerous tactics it believes were employed by Sydney on Saturday night against its spearhead captain Nick Riewoldt.

The Saints' chief executive Archie Fraser confirmed last night that his club was considering lodging an official complaint with the AFL and its umpires boss Jeff Gieschen. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>....

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/s ... 12578.html

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:Saints planning challenge to Swans 'tunnelling' tactic
Caroline Wilson | March 25, 2008

ST KILDA is reviewing the potentially dangerous tactics it believes were employed by Sydney on Saturday night against its spearhead captain Nick Riewoldt.

The Saints' chief executive Archie Fraser confirmed last night that his club was considering lodging an official complaint with the AFL and its umpires boss Jeff Gieschen. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>....

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/s ... 12578.html
Good, Finally some gumption shown by the admin.

F_Q_F
Club Player

It needs to become a serious reportable offence, just giving a free kick won't stop any players doing it.

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Fantastic - needs to be brought up - as said in other threads I thought it was just Nick running under the ball until I saw it on replay and on MLF's youtube's.

Low dog acts - definitely a set play but of course Swans won't be penalised.