Rewind - Brownlow 1997 ... Good old Johnno!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

osama milne laden
Club Player

Rewind - Brownlow 1997 ... Good old Johnno!

A fairly dull Easter so I went back to check out the farce that was the announcement of Harvs as the 1997 Brownlow medallist during 7's coverage of that year's count.

Unlike the year before when Voss and Hird had been declared winners without even a mention of the ineligible McKernan (who had recorded the same number of votes), in 1997 the AFL and Bruce McAvaney decided to lead the presentation off with the announcement that the ineligible Chris Grant had the most number of votes - leaving Harvs totally non-plussed (and embarrassed), not knowing if he was the winner and whether or not he should be heading for the stage.

Then come the boos from the Bulldogs table as Harvs is declared the winner - there's Ernie Sigley, Libba, and hang on, there's the ever-smiling champ Johnno joining in on the cacophony.

And there's Johnno again is later on "Talking Football" as they cross to Chris Grant's house - Supercoach Wallace surprisingly media shy hiding behind the fly wire door urging 7 to go ask Collo (Ian Collins) about the apparent travesty that has befell his club.

Next up I'll have to check out the 1998 coverage - when Harvs has to suffer the indignity of McAvaney sniggering like a schoolboy after doing his maths and discovering Harvs' new-born had been conceived some time around the previous year's count (he wouldn't have tried that with Arch or Hirdy). It'll be interesting to see if there's again boos coming from those loveable larrikans from out West when Harvs is declared the '98 winner!

'What do we eat? -Mussles
How do we eat 'em? - Alive'
Selhurst Saint
Club Player

"Dudley Do Right" smashed a Hawthorn player in the jaw with a round arm swing. There is no way he was going for the ball. He was lucky to only get a week. Yet their wineing still continues.

"...If there has been one recurring theme through this whole shocking mess, it has been the misguided, inflated egos and their ill-judged determination to cling to long-standing old boy friendships. The bad advice that has guided the selfish and culpable James Hird has not only punctuated this saga but symbolised it..."
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

It would be more heartbreaking for them now under the current tribunal rules.

Grant would have attracted enough points to be suspended for a week but his good record and an early plea would see him eligible to play but not for the Brownlow.

So he would, in effect, miss no matches yet not be eligible for the Brownlow.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

the only reason grant and johno are looked upon with such affection is that the rest of the club is shite...good team players is poor teams, nothing else

at least harvs has the two brownlows and at least one gf appearance....already...

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:the only reason grant and johno are looked upon with such affection is that the rest of the club is shite...good team players is poor teams, nothing else

at least harvs has the two brownlows and at least one gf appearance....already...
Dont rate Grant and Johnson?

lol......Do you watch games other than ones that feature St Kilda?

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:the only reason grant and johno are looked upon with such affection is that the rest of the club is shite...good team players is poor teams, nothing else

Dont rate Grant and Johnson?

lol......Do you watch games other than ones that feature St Kilda?
Grant was good early, when the Doggies were making finals - he really struggled while they were losing

As much as i dislike Johnson, he has been a fantastic player for the Bulldogs. As a small player he single handedly carried their forward line for a few seasons, even while helping out in the midfield.

Scott West is another i seriously rate, even if he is given a dream run with the umpires.

The Saintsational Man
Club Player

20 bucks says Johnno is smiling right now.....

st paddy
Club Player

Ah yes - Thanku Osama - I remember it well.

That great bloke johno - one of a kind...

Footscray trash!!

GIve me a break!!

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

st paddy wrote:Ah yes - Thanku Osama - I remember it well.

That great bloke johno - one of a kind...

Footscray trash!!

GIve me a break!!
Johnno obviously gave your miserable ass a beating or something, either that or you are a little jealous of the great man.

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
osama milne laden
Club Player

Maybe, like me, St Paddy just remembers the appalling treatment of our greatest ever at the hands/claws of a bunch of bores (two of whom aren't even welcome at their old club anymore)

my les foote
Club Player

Pound for pound, Brad Johnson is the best heckler of champions in the AFL.

Win it for HIM!
my les foote
Club Player

fonz_#15 wrote:
Johnno obviously gave your miserable ass a beating or something, either that or you are a little jealous of the great man.
Don't hijack threads. The thread monitors will be on to you. This from the original Johno thrread.
iceman234 wrote:It was a congratulatory thread anyway, stating what a legend he was. Til it was hi-jacked by d1ckheads wanting to bag a champion.
Please start another thread if you want to support Johnson, Smith and co. for bagging our champion

Win it for HIM!
vacuous space
SS Life Member

I doubt the Doggies were booing Harvey as much as they were booing a perceived injustice perpetrated by the AFL against one of their best players. Even if there was some sort of malice directed at Harvey himself for 'stealing' the brownlow, I don't particularly care. Johnno's been a class act on and off the field for long enough that I'll forgive a single indiscretion.

If you can't recognise other clubs champions then why would you expect other club's supporters to properly recognise the achievements of ours. IMO saying that Johnno has had 40 good games is just as bad if not worse than a BF poster rating Harvey behind Hird and Voss because he didn't kick enough goals.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Ernie f****** Sigley? WTF was he doing there? SOmeone needs to tell that prick he is a annoying old fart that cant sing. Please.

st paddy
Club Player

iwantmeseats wrote:Ernie f****** Sigley? WTF was he doing there? SOmeone needs to tell that prick he is a annoying old fart that cant sing. Please.
Thats not very nice! :shock:

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Yeah well he is bit of knob paddy me mate. He is a big supporter of getting rid of the points, cant understand why we have points. Thinks it confuses people from overseas! Why should we give a rats clacker what people from overseas think? Aint never going to be a international game.

But anyway, that idea is completely naff, and therefore makes him a knob of the highest order :D

And it seems, you havent heard him sing!

ace
Saintsational Legend

Chris Grant had no right to be considered for the Brownlow in 1997.
The umpires should have been penalised too.
His Hawthorn opponent, I think it was Holland was killing him, best on ground.
Holland took a mark, Grant makes a front on whack at his head, you know the sort "I was trying to spoil the ball but missed by miles".
Holland was strechered off.
The maggots failed to report. What a joke they must have been the only people at the ground that did not think it reportable.
It is much easier for them just to ignore and let the video police do the reporting. That way the maggots never get it wrong.
With his opponent out cold, Grant starred in the second half.
The umpires gave him three votes for the game.
If the umpires had reported him as they should, they could not have given him votes for fairest and best.
Yes don't disqualify him from the Brownlow, but you must disqualify any votes from the match.
Result he comes in second.

osama milne laden
Club Player

>>>If you can't recognise other clubs champions

Seems to me the Bulldogs had this problem on Brownlow night in 97

As for any 'injustice' perpetrated against Grant, whenever I see the footage it always looks like Nick Holland got a decent whack to the face to me

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:Chris Grant had no right to be considered for the Brownlow in 1997.
The umpires should have been penalised too.
His Hawthorn opponent, I think it was Holland was killing him, best on ground.
Holland took a mark, Grant makes a front on whack at his head, you know the sort "I was trying to spoil the ball but missed by miles".
Holland was strechered off.
The maggots failed to report. What a joke they must have been the only people at the ground that did not think it reportable.
It is much easier for them just to ignore and let the video police do the reporting. That way the maggots never get it wrong.
With his opponent out cold, Grant starred in the second half.
The umpires gave him three votes for the game.
If the umpires had reported him as they should, they could not have given him votes for fairest and best.
Yes don't disqualify him from the Brownlow, but you must disqualify any votes from the match.
Result he comes in second.
You obviously don't have any idea how that voting system works....

matrix
Saintsational Legend

iwantmeseats wrote:Ernie f****** Sigley? WTF was he doing there? SOmeone needs to tell that prick he is a annoying old fart that cant sing. Please.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

i didnt understand the previous voting bit either.
u kinda wanna say that again?

saint64
Club Player

Johnson is, and has always been, a great player. I doubt if he intended Harvey any malice at the 97 count. Infact I have seen him in interviews since then after games we have won praising Harvey.

Johnson's effort in the last quarter on the weekend was amazing. It brought back memories for me of Burke's 300th when we beat the Tigers by about 80 points.

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Would have thought it was more of a show of disappointment against the process, not the man.

Apparently Johnno has professed his love for The Great Man and holds him in high regard as a role model. I think Saintbrat has a link somewhere also re this.

Maybe that didn't show through early in his career though - I haven't seen the footage. Can't find a link, would like to see it.

Would be interested to see how much his thought processes and actions have changed since being a 21 year old to being a 31 year old with 300 games under his belt.