Official Team Vs Carlton

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

Official Team Vs Carlton

ST KILDA
B: Jason Gram (186), Max Hudghton (191), Sam Gilbert (194)
HB: Raphael Clarke (189), Sam Fisher (192), Xavier Clarke (182)
C: Jason Blake (191), Lenny Hayes (186), Leigh Montagna (178)
HF: Robert Harvey (181), Nick Riewoldt (193), Adam Schneider (179)
F: Stephen Milne (178), Justin Koschitzke (197), Fraser Gehrig (195)
Foll: Steven King (201), Nick Dal Santo (186), Luke Ball (184)
I/C: Michael Gardiner (199), Leigh Fisher (188), Aaron Fiora (186), Jarryn Geary (183)
EMG: Charlie Gardiner (190), Clint Jones (183), Shane Birss (183)

In: Gehrig, Blake
Out: Gardiner, Jones

Avg Height: 188cm
Last edited by SaintBot on Thu 27 Mar 2008 7:35pm, edited 1 time in total.

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

CARLTON
B: Kade Simpson (182), Michael Jamison (193), Bret Thornton (192)
HB: Heath Scotland (182), Jarrad Waite (194), Paul Bower (192)
C: Jordan Russell (188), Chris Judd (189), Bryce Gibbs (188)
HF: Ryan Houlihan (187), Brad Fisher (192), Nick Stevens (182)
F: Shaun Hampson (201), Brendan Fevola (191), Eddie Betts (173)
Foll: Cameron Cloke (196), Andrew Carrazzo (187), Marc Murphy (180)
I/C: Jordan Bannister (190), Jake Edwards (192), Richard Hadley (190), Setanta O’hAilpin (199)
EMG: Shaun Grigg (190), Darren Pfeiffer (183), Jason Saddington (193)

In: Fisher, Hampson, Russell
Out: Shaun Grigg, Adam Hartlett (suspended), Ryan Jackson

Avg Height: 189cm
Last edited by SaintBot on Thu 27 Mar 2008 7:45pm, edited 1 time in total.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

interesting we have dumped charlie already

show of faith in raph...

imo blake is under massive pressure considering imo charlie is of better use to the team...who would blake tag or run with??? to me there no stand out tall from carlton to tag...and no blake isnt going to go with judd

not happy charlie is not in...probably too tall if he was considering we all want kosi to play deep forward...

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:interesting we have dumped charlie already

show of faith in raph...

imo blake is under massive pressure considering imo charlie is of better use to the team...who would blake tag or run with??? to me there no stand out tall from carlton to tag...and no blake isnt going to go with judd

not happy charlie is not in...probably too tall if he was considering we all want kosi to play deep forward...
must admitt i wouldve rathered both charlie and jones over blake - especially this week

surprised but not disapointed fiora is in the team still

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Jones out??
I hope that it is due to an precautionary measures because even though I rate him even less than most that kind of courage deserves another go...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
hotdish
Club Player

Very stiff on both players, especially after Charlie's good pre-season form and CJ's ballys mark last week. But the reality is that we are inching closer to our best 22 and we want 10 people in the VFL pushing for spots.

I hope that Rapha keeps getting games. I know he's maligned around here but he's yet to even play 50 games yet. Once he gets games into him he will be solid.

Blake will not tag - He is being used more as a tall Backman or loose man in Defence.

So who does this leave out of our best 22? Baker, Maguire and Goddard are those who spring to mind. Gee, its gonna be tough to fit them three in...

Go saints!

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

Looking at that, I am inclined to think that CG is excess to requirements up forward with G-train back this week, likely to see Roo plaing further afield if required, and Blake appears to be about our only "run-with" type.
Blake probably offers a little more flexibility in that if required he can go back and release someone else to go further forward, or can play the running link up role himself.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
saintsrus
SS Hall of Fame

Blake was playing well in the pre season deserves a spot

Before Im 85
BelfastSaint
Club Player

Can't really complain with those changes ... Gehrig to bitch slap Setanta again.. and Blake .. well its been a while since he has played a really bad game for us ...always very servicable of late and will probably have a specific job again this week ..

Saintsime
Club Player

How did you get these sides so early in the afternoon ? They aren't even on Sportal yet.

Jones unlucky to be dropped and Fiora very lucky to stay in the side. I was not a huge Jones fan until Saturday night and "that mark". He won me over, I would have kept him in for that effort alone. Fiora doesn't go near a contest and when he as the opportunity to kick a goal always misses.

Jones in my opinion earnt his stripes with that effort v Sydney, I am yet to witness what Ross Lyon sees in Fiora and why he is picked in the side each week.

Am I the only one ?

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

BelfastSaint wrote:Can't really complain with those changes ... Gehrig to bitch slap Setanta again.. and Blake .. well its been a while since he has played a really bad game for us ...always very servicable of late and will probably have a specific job again this week ..
his work as the loose man in defence does not warrant selection...his ball use is still poor and under pressure even worse...and considering the amount of ball he will get being loose...shudder...

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Dont agree with CG getting the flick. R Clarke has a hell of a game to put in this week, not up to snuff so far.

Blake, well....I would have left him out for CG. Blake can run well, thats about it.

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Saintsime wrote:How did you get these sides so early in the afternoon ? They aren't even on Sportal yet.

Jones unlucky to be dropped and Fiora very lucky to stay in the side. I was not a huge Jones fan until Saturday night and "that mark". He won me over, I would have kept him in for that effort alone. Fiora doesn't go near a contest and when he as the opportunity to kick a goal always misses.

Jones in my opinion earnt his stripes with that effort v Sydney, I am yet to witness what Ross Lyon sees in Fiora and why he is picked in the side each week.

Am I the only one ?
No your not. I have given him another go time and time again. Will pop up for a good mark here or there then go missing. How you leave CJ out for him is beyond me.

After that mark, it would have made a nice statement. Guess thats why Im not coach.
Last edited by iwantmeseats on Thu 27 Mar 2008 4:57pm, edited 1 time in total.

Richter
SS Life Member

I like the look of it. With the G train back, it makes sense that at least one forward has to miss, and IMO Gardiner/Jones go before Milne or Schneider.

Blake is solid and dependable and been playing reasonable footy ofr this year and last - (I could see he was recovered from his knee problem as he was moving ok at the comedy festival last night - what did you and Nick think of Stephen K Amos, a hoot, eh? :wink: :D ).

Jones going does mean that we are somewhat light on for so called "defensive pressure" up front. So I expect to see more of X and Gilbert rotated through the forward line. Having Blake back gives us the flexibility to give both Raph, Gilbo and Sam F chances to run free if they are not needed for specific match-ups.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
Saintsime
Club Player

Agree with your Blake comments, very ordinary under pressure. There is a reason they all him Neil around the club. He's a Spacecadet ! of the Neil Armstrong kind.

The idea with Blake will be for him to play on a tall down back to free up the best loose man in defence in the league Sam Fisher.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

anybody who even thinks for one second that jones is a better footballer than fiora certainly,...imhfo,...doesn't know their footballers...ffs..... :roll: :roll:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
BelfastSaint
Club Player

Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:
BelfastSaint wrote:Can't really complain with those changes ... Gehrig to bitch slap Setanta again.. and Blake .. well its been a while since he has played a really bad game for us ...always very servicable of late and will probably have a specific job again this week ..
his work as the loose man in defence does not warrant selection...his ball use is still poor and under pressure even worse...and considering the amount of ball he will get being loose...shudder...
I'm predicting no matter what position Blake plays he will have a great game against Carlton and hopefully then you can come back and say ..."Sorry Blakey"...." I wuz wong" ... :D

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

What message does it send when somebody as couragous as Jones is dropped and somebody as soft as Fiora stays in?

Very poor selection decision.

Even Charlie deserves a game ahead of Fiora based on recent form.

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

stinger wrote:anybody who even thinks for one second that jones is a better footballer than fiora certainly,...imhfo,...doesn't know their footballers...ffs..... :roll: :roll:

huh? What the hell does fiora do to lay claim to that sort of statement??

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

Re: Official Team Vs Carlton

SaintBot wrote:ST KILDA
B: Gram, Hudghton, Gilbert
HB: R.Clarke, S.Fisher, X.Clarke
C: Blake, Hayes, Montagna
HF: Harvey, Riewoldt, Schneider
F: Milne, Koschitzke, Gehrig
FOLL: King, Dal Santo, Ball
I/C: M.Gardiner, L.Fisher, Fiora, Geary
EMG: C.Gardiner, Jones, Birss
IN: Gehrig, Blake
OUT: C.Gardiner, Jones
wow we are going in very tall.

talent wise its impressive, but its like land of the giants out there.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
Richter
SS Life Member

stinger wrote:anybody who even thinks for one second that jones is a better footballer than fiora certainly,...imhfo,...doesn't know their footballers...ffs..... :roll: :roll:
Absolutely agree here. Fiora is not a superstar, but he can do things that change matches. He has touch and skill, is quick, can kick a goal and take a mark - it is noticeable that he had big final quarters in a couple of big matches in the last year - the NAB final 08 and Harv's 250 vs WC last year.

CJ is quick, can tackle and has a lot of courage. He may be stiff to miss out given his match-winning piece of courage, but when we're at nearly full strength he just has too many weaknesses to be likely to command a regular starting spot IMO.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

BelfastSaint wrote:
Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:
I'm predicting no matter what position Blake plays he will have a great game against Carlton and hopefully then you can come back and say ..."Sorry Blakey"...." I wuz wong" ... :D
why would i apologize for having a somewhat informed opinion??? if he does play well...well good if not...bugger...

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

iwantmeseats wrote:

huh? What the hell does fiora do to lay claim to that sort of statement??
fiora is used as a bit of an impact player

doesnt get the high possesion count however he can (potentially) turn a two goal loss into a win within 10 minutes

the nab cup grand final was a good example of this - he came off the bench in the final 1/4 and straight away was involved with two goals (one to milne cant remember the other)

i agree with stinger, if you believe at this stage - clinton jones is a better player than fiora then you are obviously forgetting aarons form from last season

he, for the first time played some fairly consistent football

im not at all bothered by his selection

Saintsime
Club Player

I agree with your comment - What has Fiora done ?

Sweet FA !

He has been given so many chances and will NEVER stand up when it counts.

Fiora might look like a better footballer but that does not mean he is a better footballer. (than Jones)

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Id love nothing more to come back and say I was wrong for my posts above. Lets hope so !!!!!!!!!