Michael Gardiner ..... terrific game

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Michael Gardiner ..... terrific game

Thought Gardiner was outstanding.

5 hitouts to advantage in the second quarter and was absolutely dominant. Looked strong and fit running around the ground and was making more contests than a few weeks ago.

Finished with 12 disposals, 8 marks and 20 hitouts.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

I agree

I'm starting (cautiously) to believe............ :)

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Played well. He's footy smart

Forgot what it was like to have a quality ruckman. If he can just stay on the ground injury free he's only going to get better.

King was handy also,two ruckman that contribute.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

He played a good game - a real ruckmans game......cleared space for the smaller players, and drifted into dangerous spots...his hitout work was good....

Still looks proppy running at times....

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:I agree

I'm starting (cautiously) to believe............ :)
Long way to go before we can say anything definitely ... but it will be injury rather than form IMO that makes that judgment ...

Lynch Beast
Club Player

great to see him up and about

ask any eagles fan who our most valuable and influential player was at the end of 2003 and 90% that know anything about the game will say Gardy. Mid way through the season he would have been favourite for the brownlow but broke down soon after that, still made the bench on the AA team (Goodes in the Ruck)

He has a physical presence that few players have ever been able to match when he's on his game.

It's been almost 5 years since he shredded the PCL in his knee, he was one of the first in the AFL to have it reconstructed (very difficult operation and rehad) and its just good to see him back out there.

Huzzad
Club Player

gards was great tonight. I think the commentators said in the fourth that Gardiner had 16 hitouts and both his opponants had 8 and 6. He killed em and was great around the ground. The fact that this guy is not in full form or fitness is very exciting, this guy is going to be a massive part of our team.

King also impressed too. Didn't get much game time, but kicked two goals and played pretty well I thought, given his limited appearances.

www.wikisaints.com - Your Online St Kilda Encyclopedia!

www.truesainters.com - A Friendly Forum Alternative

http://truesainters.wordpress.com - Player of the Round articles, match previews and reviews
nicko016
Club Player

It was a great game by Gardi tonight. It wasn't as if he dominated but with wheres he it at the moment it was fantastic. He just looks to be getting better and better and today was a step-up from last week and the most disposals and most hitouts he has had in a game so far this season. It was real exciting to watch him tonight and it will be real exciting to see if he can improve again next week.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Re: Michael Gardiner ..... terrific game

Oh When the Saints wrote:Thought Gardiner was outstanding.

5 hitouts to advantage in the second quarter and was absolutely dominant. Looked strong and fit running around the ground and was making more contests than a few weeks ago.

Finished with 12 disposals, 8 marks and 20 hitouts.
HE IS A GUN!!!!!

I especially loved the personally handing a footy to a member on the crowd after the game.....Patted them on the head....He seems like such a great guy for such a dark past.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

It's just brilliant to see him out there and contributing.

He makes a huge difference to our side; add him to a fit Steven King, and our ruck division doesn't just look satisfactory - it looks strong.

It also frees up Koschitzke to go forward, which means he attracts a top defender, freeing up Gehrig to take a weaker defender.

Extremely promising stuff.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:It's just brilliant to see him out there and contributing.

He makes a huge difference to our side; add him to a fit Steven King, and our ruck division doesn't just look satisfactory - it looks strong.

It also frees up Koschitzke to go forward, which means he attracts a top defender, freeing up Gehrig to take a weaker defender.

Extremely promising stuff.
yes. Gardiner was the best he has been for years tonight. King chipped in with two very important goals. Something like 38-16 in hitouts to the two tonight.

And once our mids actually get used to a ruckman winning the ball we will be even better.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Thank god for Lenny Hayes is all I will say.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

Bloody good to watch two ruckman with skill, its been a while!
What is really pleasing, is that both Gardiner and King like physical contact and initiate it...and with their big bodies can cause some damage.
Like it so far...

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

id like to know the last time we finished with 40+ hitouts

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

very very very happy with the Gardiner/King ruck combo, would be interesting to see their combined stats, please someone..... :D

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Pwoit
Saintsational Legend

Watched Gardy last week as he was good, tonight he was great again. Getting better and better each week. Once the new crew start to blend into the game plan come mid season our game will become stronger and more dominant. At the moment we are just feeling our way through and to win playing at 70% efficiency is a good sign. Another game in the bank another 4 points.
Move onto tackling the Bulldogs next week

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

i told you...didnt i??

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:i told you...didnt i??
More importantly....How'd you manage the name change????

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:i told you...didnt i??
More importantly....How'd you manage the name change????
ask one of the mods and they will do it

they will pm someone with what you want etc

accept...i told you all...and F*** me it feels good to see the big man himself mg tear it up...

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
Apu
Club Player

The_Dud wrote:very very very happy with the Gardiner/King ruck combo, would be interesting to see their combined stats, please someone..... :D
38 hitouts between them.
Cartons ruckmen had a combined 16.

Wait a minute so we have one ruckman kicking 2 goals, the other some speculate was best on ground? but these guys are RUCKMEN..they're meant to have no impact..HAH say goodbye to THAT! ahhh so good to finally have 2 quality ruckmen who i honestly rate, who rack up more than 3 possessions between them and actually tap TO OUR ADVANTAGE. Welcome. :D

Destiny. It's in our hands.

Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.
luke.l_26
SS Hall of Fame

I love our Gards.
Loved him back when he played for west coast and was really disappointed over the trouble he got into over there.
Really excited when he came last year... I think I backed him the whole year.. despite people giving me loads for having so much faith in a "washed-up" ruckman.

Now he looks set to be back onto his best form. He's clearly one of the best ruckman in the comp, and he's starting to show every why again. So glad he's playing for us now. Last night was just fantastic.

MWL - Blinding footy players on the field since 2003
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

He was awesome, for a big bloke with such a small head he certainly packs in plenty of grey matter :)

I reckon it is still a month away or perhaps more from seeing him at his best, and if he continues noticeable improvement each week could possibly be Everitt standard (when playing well!) by mid year.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Quixote
SS Life Member

Pwoit wrote:Watched Gardy last week as he was good, tonight he was great again. Getting better and better each week. Once the new crew start to blend into the game plan come mid season our game will become stronger and more dominant. At the moment we are just feeling our way through and to win playing at 70% efficiency is a good sign. Another game in the bank another 4 points.
Move onto tackling the Bulldogs next week

Completely agree.

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
matrix
Saintsational Legend

yeah he was great last nite.

just wondering why we didnt have a ruckman at two boundary throw ins tho....thats unacceptable really