Thank God for Sam Fisher is all I will say

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Thank God for Sam Fisher is all I will say

This guy is a very, very good footballer.

Super fit, very good skills by foot and hand, great runner, freakish ball getting ability, sure hands, great timing in terms of making his runs, now can beat good forwards, destroys average forwards, cool under pressure, very disciplined, tough as nails (played out the 05 QF qith a broken foot), durable and has a very good footy brain.

Also has anyone noticed how good he is at 'the crab'? 'The Crab' is the move where he is being coralled towards the boundary and is forced to kick awkwardly around his body and often off balance - Fisher takes small steps as he's being coralled but never panics and more often than finds a target by kicking almost over his shoulder.

Us as Saints fans, have overrated our 'stars' for a few years now. Guys who are supposedly the reason we played finals. It's nonsense.

Sam Fisher is a serious reason as to why we played finals in 05 and 06 - and his absence in the 05 prelim was a serious reason we didn't win the flag that year.

He's on the top 3 at the club for mine.

Lenny, Sam Fisher, and .......

LaUrEnCe
Club Player

arguably most reliable defender for us imho...saves the day a lot of the time

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Will be a joke if he's not All Australian this year.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

LaUrEnCe wrote:arguably most reliable defender for us imho...saves the day a lot of the time
Agree. He and Max are both composed under pressure. Enjoyed seeing him run off half-back tonight.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Just about the best in the comp now at what he does across the backline.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Yep - got my top votes. Seems the only willing to go for marks and then runs sensationally. No wonder he was stuffed at the end. If there is a better defender in the game at the moment I don't know who it is.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Re: Thank God for Sam Fisher is all I will say

rodgerfox wrote:This guy is a very, very good footballer.

Super fit, very good skills by foot and hand, great runner, freakish ball getting ability, sure hands, great timing in terms of making his runs, now can beat good forwards, destroys average forwards, cool under pressure, very disciplined, tough as nails (played out the 05 QF qith a broken foot), durable and has a very good footy brain.

Also has anyone noticed how good he is at 'the crab'? 'The Crab' is the move where he is being coralled towards the boundary and is forced to kick awkwardly around his body and often off balance - Fisher takes small steps as he's being coralled but never panics and more often than finds a target by kicking almost over his shoulder.

Us as Saints fans, have overrated our 'stars' for a few years now. Guys who are supposedly the reason we played finals. It's nonsense.

Sam Fisher is a serious reason as to why we played finals in 05 and 06 - and his absence in the 05 prelim was a serious reason we didn't win the flag that year.

Agreed.

St.Kenny
Club Player

we're talkin best player tonight by a mile .....am a big fan of this guy !

My behaviour is considered acceptable in some far off remote exotic countries...
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:Yep - got my top votes. Seems the only willing to go for marks and then runs sensationally. No wonder he was stuffed at the end. If there is a better defender in the game at the moment I don't know who it is.
His judgement is just outstanding.

Knows when to go, when not to go, when to mark, when to punch, when to stay down, when to run lines.

A very, very good footballer.

LENNY LEADS THE WAY
Club Player

Oh When the Saints wrote:Will be a joke if he's not All Australian this year.

I love the guy 2 but lets go easy on the early calls it's only round 2 u can't guarantee he will keep his super impressive form

100 percent behind the saints 100 percent of the time
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

The 05 prelim miss has never been underrated - and he is and will be for a long time a major part of our backline.

Still seems underrated by oppo supporters though - no problem.

I particularly like the way from a distance you can pick Sam by the way he moves with the ball, he just has a system of movement as soon as he gets it that is recognisable, and makes you feel better knowing who has it.

OWTS, stress less, he will make it to the AA in 08.

:D

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Iceman234 wrote:
There is a bit of a misconception that he simply plays the 'loose man in defence' role. I think this is why he's underrated by many.

He doesn't.

He just is very good at knowing and timing when to leave his man.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

100% agree roger.
he is a super player
my footy coach knows him and his dad really well from when he was a young lad over here
im still trying to get a signed guernsey :P
and yeah, if he keeps up this consistency he is a shoe in for AA selection.
his composure and ability to read the play and get himself in the correct position is great. his disposal is great, his decision making is great, his running and work ethic is great.
the guy is deff in our top three (especially in consistency) . i 100% agree.

one of those players that u would just not ever consider letting go....hopefully he plays a good 200+ games for us

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
Iceman234 wrote:
There is a bit of a misconception that he simply plays the 'loose man in defence' role. I think this is why he's underrated by many.

He doesn't.

Yes, mention Sam Fisher at my work as being in our top five or so players we can't afford to lose - and cop "if he's in your top five, Saints have got no hope" etc. etc.

He is a quiet achiever.

LENNY LEADS THE WAY
Club Player

Iceman234 wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
Iceman234 wrote:

He doesn't.

Yes, mention Sam Fisher at my work as being in our top five or so players we can't afford to lose - and cop "if he's in your top five, Saints have got no hope" etc. etc.

He is a quiet achiever.
Gee that's funny that's exactly what i get when i talk about Fish, i always say how good our backline is and then i get the sarcastic response oh yeah that's right u have sam fisher.

100 percent behind the saints 100 percent of the time
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

matrixcutter wrote:100% agree roger.
he is a super player
my footy coach knows him and his dad really well from when he was a young lad over here
im still trying to get a signed guernsey :P
and yeah, if he keeps up this consistency he is a shoe in for AA selection.
his composure and ability to read the play and get himself in the correct position is great. his disposal is great, his decision making is great, his running and work ethic is great.
the guy is deff in our top three (especially in consistency) . i 100% agree.

one of those players that u would just not ever consider letting go....hopefully he plays a good 200+ games for us
I consider myself a pretty good reader of the play. So often you see guys simply standing in the wrong position or moving to the wrong holes.

Watching a game against the Swans a little while ago when he was playing on Goodes, and as Sam does - he was playing several metres off him. As the play unfolded at the other end of the ground, Fisher took off. I commented to my mate that he'd gone too early and would be caught out. The ball spilled from a stoppage, a quick kick forced the ball Sydney's way - and landed in Fisher's lap unopposed. He played on and collected himself yet another 'Inside 50'.

I swallowed my pride, and proceeded to watch him very closely from that point on.

He reads the play as well as anyone I've seen. That's why he looks like he's playing loose. He simply knows where the ball is going well before anyone else does.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

LENNY LEADS THE WAY wrote:

I love the guy 2 but lets go easy on the early calls it's only round 2 u can't guarantee he will keep his super impressive form
BLASPHEMY!!!!

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
fonz_#15
SS Life Member

Armoooo wrote:

BLASPHEMY!!!!
no logial!!!

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
maverick
Saintsational Legend

Wow agree 100%

I remember coming home from the 05 QF and watching the replay and thinking the loss of Sam was going to kill us in the prelim more than Hamill....

Sam never plays a bad game simple as that.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

So all of 07 and half of 06 not enough for you then.

He is playing no better now than he did all of last year, the team playing well makes him look even better.

Not too early for mine.

We have 5 standouts at STKFC for mine.

Roo
Sam
Lenno
Dal
Ball (his inside work is so underrated)

The difference between there best and worst is very little for these blokes and their best is as good as most going round.

Harvs is outside this 5 only because of age....

nicko016
Club Player

Well, I think most realise just how good he is. All I can say is watchout when Goose is back and firing and Sam is the third backmen. Fingers crossed, Goose can be back fit and firing because a HB line of Fisher, Maguire, Gram will be devastating.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

he's just that damn good

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
st paddy
Club Player

You are not seriously trying to suggest Roo isn't in our top 3 players are u?

Totally ridiculous if u are. :roll:

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

st paddy wrote:

No, Roo would be in the top 3. Comfortably.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
st paddy wrote:

No, Roo would be in the top 3. Comfortably.
Roo may well end up in the top 3 Saints of all time, but that's another discussion :wink: