Rl's press conference.....Goddard

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

sasaint
Club Player

Solar wrote:really good problem to have, would rather see BJ play on a wing then down back, has been playing as a ruck rover for the scorps and there is no reason why he can't be a damaging winger who floats back into defence.

not sure who to drop from the team but I would lean towards dropping king, play kosi as second ruck to get his hand on it more against a smaller team and add a extra midfielder in BJ.
Totally agree. Need more midfield depth. Last night by the end of the game we had three talls on the bench and were rotating the one midfielder.:shock: I think giving King a rest and letting Gardiner run vs the Doggies is a smart move. Gardiner is improving with every game and King can come in fresh vs the Cats next week. Kosi had a shoker last night and letting him have some time on the ball would do him no harm.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:really good problem to have, would rather see BJ play on a wing then down back, has been playing as a ruck rover for the scorps and there is no reason why he can't be a damaging winger who floats back into defence.

not sure who to drop from the team but I would lean towards dropping king, play kosi as second ruck to get his hand on it more against a smaller team and add a extra midfielder in BJ.
Solar, am astonished that you're suggesting dropping King. At last we have two genuine ruckmen providing for our mid-fielders and having a big physical presence around the grounnd. King has been great so far. Last night had 18 hit-outs, provided some around the ground linkage and kicked two goals. No way would I consider not having him in the team. The recruit of the year at a swap for pick 90.

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

no way i would consider dropping King Or Gardy,

there both top ruckman fiora, i would consider dropping even leigh fisher, for bj

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:Solar, am astonished that you're suggesting dropping King. At last we have two genuine ruckmen providing for our mid-fielders and having a big physical presence around the grounnd. King has been great so far. Last night had 18 hit-outs, provided some around the ground linkage and kicked two goals. No way would I consider not having him in the team. The recruit of the year at a swap for pick 90.
King's two goals were handy, but they were both very lucky goals that mainly came about because of Carlton's laziness. That won't happen against decent opposition. His tapwork was poor and around the ground he was just ok.

Last year Kosi played very well when he was in the ruck and Gardiner is looking like a genuine number one ruckman now. It would help to have an extra midfielder in the side and our forward line then looks much more balanced.

No one in the side deserves to be dropped, but I think omitting King is clearly the best thing for team structure.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:

Solar, am astonished that you're suggesting dropping King. At last we have two genuine ruckmen providing for our mid-fielders and having a big physical presence around the grounnd. King has been great so far. Last night had 18 hit-outs, provided some around the ground linkage and kicked two goals. No way would I consider not having him in the team. The recruit of the year at a swap for pick 90.
Just think apart from the goals king really struggled. His tap outs have not been hitting the mark and has been taken over as first ruck by gards. Would be happy to bring him back against the taller cats the week after, just think our structure will be better with less talls down forward.

Just a thought, would rather see our small and medium defenders stay in and we need more run from the bench against the dogs

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

id rather keep Koschitzke forward and King in the side

especially against the bulldogs, who lack key defenders

The three man forward line has worked in the past, and it will work soon enough - for a coach to show respect to Riewoldt, they have to disrespect Koschitzke or Gehrig - vice versa

I havnt seen the Hawthorn Fremantle game yet but i noticed their three key forwards had fair games

Roughead apeared to dominate - Franklin had four goals also - and Boyle was handy with around 10 possesions and 2 goals

Worst case scenario is to play Koschitzke as a spare man in defence - where he can use his courage and marking ability to perfection

however keep him forward, both gehrig and himself to have the forward line to themselves and for Riewoldt to push up the ground (similar to pavlich)

It will work, and has worked in the past - especially against the bulldogs

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

if you want to hear what ross actually said;

http://bigpondvideo.com/afl/45195 watch

or listen
http://sportal.com.au/mediaplayer/audio ... blues-2303

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Solar
Saintsational Legend

is it just me or does ross lyon shave his chest hair LMAO

thanks for the link :)

FQF
In richo I trust

Quixote
SS Life Member

Goddard IN, Fiora OUT for me.

Also, does anyone think we'll see Harves rested this year? For example, have next week off against the Dogs, bring in Armitage, then bring Harvey back firing against the Cats?

It's been common practice for other stars in their last year.

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

got a good point here,

bring in armo in this match drop harves, (rest harves) bring himback firing for geelong

bring in armo i

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

ralphysaints35 wrote:got a good point here,

bring in armo in this match drop harves, (rest harves) bring himback firing for geelong

bring in armo i
we are not going to drop harves...the early games are as important as any...the doggies are flying atm and a win over them will set us up ever so splendidly for a crack at the cats

if we are winning now and not playing that well...think how we could go if everything begins to click (to which i do think it will)

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
nicola69
Club Player

Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:
ralphysaints35 wrote:got a good point here,

bring in armo i
we are not going to drop harves...the early games are as important as any...the doggies are flying atm and a win over them will set us up ever so splendidly for a crack at the cats

if we are winning now and not playing that well...think how we could go if everything begins to click (to which i do think it will)
hmmm. I've got to say that if it is not easy to get a game in the side this year can we have any sacred cows? I think the Wall Banger is only just holding his spot on form. We have a few young guys who really need to be blooded - Armo, Geary and Judo Jones, e.g, - so that we don't have an emerging experience gap in the next couple of seasons. Gehrig looked ok against the Blues but I think against the slicker sides he will be a liability (too slow). I agree with most of the pundits that Fiora is the first to leave out for BJ (who is an automatic inclusion when fit). In fact, get off the Fiora bandwagon, people. He's a real fringe player in this year's team. One screamer does not a season make.

we exist on a brane - thank f*** for StK
matrix
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote: BJ is not a defender.....
:?:

4ever_saint
Club Player

so goose def not possibility for game nxt wk then?

hotdish
Club Player

Goddard will slot back into the backline and can play third tall (sharing duties with Raph). Gilbert isn't big enough to play KP in the backline.

Drop NEITHER and free Gilbo up to the wing where he played some of his best footy last year.

You can only have one of J Blake or L Fisher in the team (even more complex when Baker comes back as they are all similar players). I would drop one of them two and leave Gilbo in with Rapha, and have Goddard in.

Its important to feed games into Rapha and Gilbo...

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

SaintBot wrote:The three man forward line has worked in the past, and it will work soon enough - for a coach to show respect to Riewoldt, they have to disrespect Koschitzke or Gehrig - vice versa
precisely

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

hotdish wrote:Goddard will slot back into the backline and can play third tall (sharing duties with Raph). Gilbert isn't big enough to play KP in the backline.

Drop NEITHER and free Gilbo up to the wing where he played some of his best footy last year.

You can only have one of J Blake or L Fisher in the team (even more complex when Baker comes back as they are all similar players). I would drop one of them two and leave Gilbo in with Rapha, and have Goddard in.

Spot on Hotdish....

While Blake is a good honest toiler the emergence of Chips and Gilbo across half back will allow BJ to be that floating tall midfielder that Blake does reasonably well (but BJ is capable of doing to an elite level). It sounds like BJ has been playing in the midfield at Casey so let him run around & use his skills all over the ground...not only across half back.

Blake out, BJ in.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

If it were me, I'd drop L Fisher, IIRC, Blake's taken West before, so we can live without the extra tagger.

I suspect it's Raph thought I hope I'm wrong.

Would be shocked if Fiora's even contemplated as a sub for Goddard.

Gilbert needs to lift, he earned himself some rope last year, but it's running out.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
Solar
Saintsational Legend

loved that press conference, especially when lyon was asked about the tardy started and he said that carlton has many first picks who are good if you allow them space (ie. highly taken recruits who are soft b ut good when in uncontested areas)....

cop that carlton LMAO!

FQF
In richo I trust

Quixote
SS Life Member

Very level-headed yet wily is our Ross.

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
ace
Saintsational Legend

Fiora v Gilbert v Raph

Fiora has the experience to know what to do when in trouble, Gilbert and especially Raph panic.
Fiora can hit his target, Gilbert and especially Raph can not.
Fiora is considered soft by some, Gilbert is not, Raph puts his body on the line in front of raging bulls often - backing into packs knowing Hall and Fevola are coming.
He expects them to be coming over the top of him so he punches the ball down giving his teamates a chance to clear.
Raph follows coaches orders to best of his abilty.
This week we need speed to stop the doggies run.
Height will not be a defensive factor that means Fiora then Raph then Gilbert.
Goddard should come in for Gilbert.
CJ looks likely after only half a game at Casey - may come in to put a leash on a doggies greyhound.
That may mean Raph or L Fisher but the latter has done two excellent tag jobs so he may get West or another midfielder.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

hotdish wrote:Goddard will slot back into the backline and can play third tall (sharing duties with Raph). Gilbert isn't big enough to play KP in the backline.

So Bj can play third tall.
Doggies this week will have Johnson, Welsh, Murphy and probably Minson in their forward line, which one of those does BJ take?
Where has BJ been playing for Casey? Key back?

ace
Saintsational Legend

Gehrig, Riewoldt and Kosi can work but only if two of them occupy the 50 metre arc. The other must be a lead up man taking himself and his opponent(s) with him.
Gehrig has not got the fitness for this role and he is the most accurate kick for goal, so should stay close.
Riewoldt is improving his accuracy, he should play closer to goal than Kosi.
Kosi may as well close his eyes when he shoots for goal (I am sure Matthew Richardson uses this technique too).
Kosi should be first choice lead up man. He should be stationed on the edge of the arc.
As lead up man he will not get caught out of position, behind his defender, as he is so often when close to goal.
When he is exhausted Riewoldt can give him a rest.
Riewoldt and Gehrig should start their leads in the goal square.
If the ball comes down the corridor Gehrig can lead to the right (to suit his left foot) Riewoldt can lead left (to suit his right foot).
They can each block the other's opponent before leading simultaneously.
The loose defender can't go both ways.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Cross is the one that must be picked up, his disposals hurt, so L. Fisher to take him.

Blake should pick up Gilbee.

Max on Johnson

Sam Fisher on Murphy

Raph to pick up Welsh

Gilbo to take Minson

Leaving Gram and Geary to mop up. BJ should come in to the midfield rotation (I would think he'd play 75% game time tops) and spend that across back and positioned in the centre as someone to play through and kick deep into our forward line.

Sorry Fizz but you may be out this week.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote:Cross is the one that must be picked up, his disposals hurt, so L. Fisher to take him.

Blake should pick up Gilbee.

Max on Johnson

Sam Fisher on Murphy

Raph to pick up Welsh

Gilbo to take Minson

Leaving Gram and Geary to mop up. BJ should come in to the midfield rotation (I would think he'd play 75% game time tops) and spend that across back and positioned in the centre as someone to play through and kick deep into our forward line.

Sorry Fizz but you may be out this week.
I'd play Max on Welsh, Raph on Murphy and Sam on Johnno
If BJ comes in this week I reckon it may be Gilbo that misses out with Blake to take Minson up forward. We need Fizz's run, especially given BJ probably won't play a full game.

As a side issue, if BJ doesn't play this week, he will have to wait another week, surely he can't come in for his first game against the Cats.....