Scorps radio

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ace
Saintsational Legend

Why Banfield Hates St Kilda

Drew Banfield wanted to be the senior coach of a second tier (VFL) footy club so he could show how good a coach he was.
He hated Casey’s relationship with St. Kilda.
He did not want to be the reserves coach to a first tier (AFL) footy club.
He did not see himself as a development coach.

Whenever he lost a player from his 22 to injury he lost that player.
But when St Kilda lost a player from their 22 to injury, he also lost his best St Kilda player to the Saints team.
When senior St Kilda players were returning from injury they would be made available to him only on a temporary basis to regain fitness.
When a St Kilda player lost form he would dropped to Casey to regain it.
When St Kilda played Hawthorn last year every available senior list St Kilda player got a game for St Kilda except for Phillip Raymond who was at the ground as emergency.
Banfield only got the uninjured rookies.

Every week he had no idea of which St Kilda players would be available to him.
How could he plan tactics and team game plans, especially when the St Kilda players had different game plans.
He fixed a limit on the number of St Kilda players he would play regardless of availability, so that the majority of his team were a core of Casey listed players.
Any surplus St Kilda players were shunted to Casey reserves.
He played his Casey players where he wanted them and fitted the St Kilda players around them.
He would not play St Kilda players where St Kilda wanted them to gain experience.
For example, St Kilda recruited Barry Brooks to be a ruckman, but Banfield never gave him the opportunities to develop as a ruckman.
He had more experienced ruckmen who could do the job already.
Banfield wanted to win matches, not develop players so St Kilda could later take them away.

St Kilda needs Casey and its’ coach to face up to being a first tier (AFL) reserves team playing in the second tier (VFL) competition.
That means it is a development team.
I am hoping that this is now the case.
This is not bad for Casey listed players as they are able to showcase themselves against AFL recruits.
It does mean the coach has to swallow his pride, something Banfield did not want to do.
Casey has to take pride in their contribution to St Kilda’s success rather than Casey’s own silverware.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

From what I saw Armo may have strained a quad, was having both worked on by a young blonde physio, but that may have just been a ploy to get his both thighs rubbed :wink:

From what I can remember Goose played the whole match, bj off at halftime after a good hitout.

Only one on the bench after 3/4 time. Dont know if Ferg played last quarter, had double vision at 3/4 time.

Many senior players in attendance Roo, Lenny, Kosi, M.Gardiner, the Fishers, Milne. No Demons spotted except muffin head Connelly.

Best i have seen Gwilt play. McEvoy is a big unit, Armo and Steven will be players. cj looked very good.Others noticed, Allen, Eddy, Mini, Rix in the ruck.
Howard dissapointing.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
spiral2
Club Player

maverick wrote:
4ever_saint wrote:charlie has been very impressive so far, hopefully makes side this week (shouldnt've been dropped in the first place IMO)
3 goals 5 is not going to get him back surely, just what we need another forward that can't kick goals.

Kick bags of 5+ consistently and then he may be considered.

BJ for Gilbert only change.
wasn't the easiest goal kicking conditions, strong on shore breeze blowing almost straight across ground
that said, sandy used it beautifully in the third quarter, lots of their goals kicked using the breeze to bend the ball in, their experience on the ground was clear.
thought Charlie did very well, his hand is up

Mini was also very good, especially in the last quarter, some tough efforts and good hard ball gets

BJ did well, almost took a great hanger in the forward line

didn't notice goose at all though I swapped ends to watch the forwards.
He had a spell in the forward line in the 4th qtr i think. sandy piled on goals in the 3rd, he can't have done that well down back.

dempster did some ok things, nothing that really grabbed my attention

McEvoy was a bit disappointing, some half hearted efforts up forward in the 2nd or 3rd qtr. Seemed to come to life a bit in the last and got some harder possies. I was up the other end of the ground. Needs to attack the ball in the air more (needs to watch kosi), didn't note any outstanding ruck work.

armo was tough

birss battled well and did some good things

gwilt got it a bit but more often than note his disposal or decision making was quite poor

howard was pretty good defensively but doesn't get the ball enough, uses it ok when he gets it

allen was good, good endeavour, gives good aerial contests. was swung back in the last and didn't do very well.

cj was good, disposal/decision making a bit hit and miss
won some good footy though

eddy always seemed under the pump when he had it, not many effective disposals that i noticed

spiral2
Club Player

ps - jack steven went alright, kicked a nice crumbing goal. sold team mates into trouble with some handballs

spiral2
Club Player

joffaboy wrote:McEvoy is a big unit
he's freakin' huge!
stood near him and rix at 3/4 time and he is clearly taller than rixy - 2-3 inches taller maybe

saw some players too, Bally, Scneider, Geary, Eljay

maverick
Saintsational Legend

spiral2 wrote:
maverick wrote:
4ever_saint wrote:charlie has been very impressive so far, hopefully makes side this week (shouldnt've been dropped in the first place IMO)
3 goals 5 is not going to get him back surely, just what we need another forward that can't kick goals.

Kick bags of 5+ consistently and then he may be considered.

BJ for Gilbert only change.
wasn't the easiest goal kicking conditions, strong on shore breeze blowing almost straight across ground
that said, sandy used it beautifully in the third quarter, lots of their goals kicked using the breeze to bend the ball in, their experience on the ground was clear.
thought Charlie did very well, his hand is up

Mini was also very good, especially in the last quarter, some tough efforts and good hard ball gets

BJ did well, almost took a great hanger in the forward line

didn't notice goose at all though I swapped ends to watch the forwards.
He had a spell in the forward line in the 4th qtr i think. sandy piled on goals in the 3rd, he can't have done that well down back.

dempster did some ok things, nothing that really grabbed my attention

McEvoy was a bit disappointing, some half hearted efforts up forward in the 2nd or 3rd qtr. Seemed to come to life a bit in the last and got some harder possies. I was up the other end of the ground. Needs to attack the ball in the air more (needs to watch kosi), didn't note any outstanding ruck work.

armo was tough

birss battled well and did some good things

gwilt got it a bit but more often than note his disposal or decision making was quite poor

howard was pretty good defensively but doesn't get the ball enough, uses it ok when he gets it

allen was good, good endeavour, gives good aerial contests. was swung back in the last and didn't do very well.

cj was good, disposal/decision making a bit hit and miss
won some good footy though

eddy always seemed under the pump when he had it, not many effective disposals that i noticed
Fair enough Spiral thanks for the report.
At least Gardiner didn't drop his head and had a crack.

spiral2
Club Player

maverick wrote:Fair enough Spiral thanks for the report.
i think you're right prob only BJ in but Charlie had a red hot go, is better than VFL level

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

thanks guys- any games I attended last year there were always a few saints players attending to support.

ps anyone spot finey :)

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
F_Q_F
Club Player

Is Eljay injured or is he too light to play in the VFL?

Be interested in knowing how he goes if anyone can fill me in.

jezza
Club Player

ACE

Hey Ace you really follow ther football don't you.Drew Banfield played for the eagles you idiot.

As well when Peter Banfield took over the scorps they were on the bottom of the ladder in the seniors as well as the reserves.

He turned them into a team that had a crack.He also if you dont remember coached Hayes ,Blake Milne,Baker into a Grand Final when those young players were in their Develoment years at the saints.

Robert Harvey at his testinmonal dinner last year thanked Banfield for all the work that he did with Him with his game.You were probably not at that dinner because he didn't want to shelve out the money to thank perhaps our greatest player.

Every one knows that Lyon did not want him to coach because he tried to keep a balance with Casey players and St Kilda players.Every one has there own view but He played Geary Last year and he has been a good player for us in our 1st couple of games.

Its is very easy to have a go at him,but i listened to the call today and he was very supportive of our players today.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

spiral2 wrote:
maverick wrote:Fair enough Spiral thanks for the report.
i think you're right prob only BJ in but Charlie had a red hot go, is better than VFL level
I agree, watched him a bit for the Cats in the VFL over the last couple of years, but the question remains, is he good enough for the AFL.

His main problem for mine is confidence and whether he has the 'balls' so to speak to demand the pill and get involved in the game enough.

Like Fiora spectates too much.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

Re: ACE

jezza wrote:Hey Ace you really follow ther football don't you.Drew Banfield played for the eagles you idiot.

As well when Peter Banfield took over the scorps they were on the bottom of the ladder in the seniors as well as the reserves.

He turned them into a team that had a crack.He also if you dont remember coached Hayes ,Blake Milne,Baker into a Grand Final when those young players were in their Develoment years at the saints.

Robert Harvey at his testinmonal dinner last year thanked Banfield for all the work that he did with Him with his game.You were probably not at that dinner because he didn't want to shelve out the money to thank perhaps our greatest player.

Every one knows that Lyon did not want him to coach because he tried to keep a balance with Casey players and St Kilda players.Every one has there own view but He played Geary Last year and he has been a good player for us in our 1st couple of games.

Its is very easy to have a go at him,but i listened to the call today and he was very supportive of our players today.
have to say there was a little bit of truth in both yours and ace's opinions. Yes banfield (the coach, not eagle) has been great, especially with a very young scorpion team and a young stkilda reserves team that made a grand final. But he was also very upset about the saints taking a bigger role in the running of the scorpions. By employing a full time coach who would work with the AFL clubs coaches in a development role and a coaching role kind of put the writing on the wall, stkilda wanted more control on when and where their developing players were playing in the casey team. This would not happen when casey employed banfield part time, but will now that hutchi is employed by the stkilda football club. You do what your told by the cheque writers.

Thus this is why not only banfield, but senior players left the club. They have almost been turned totally into a feeder club. You could tell via the snide remarks banfield had as special comments on the radio today. Insteed of refering to casey as the team making the moves, he kept saying stkilda was resting players, moving players forward ect. Its not hard to understand this bitterness but it came over as very very unprofessional. Of course he has good things to say about certain players he used to coach, but this has nothing to do with his view upon the stkilda football club, no matter which way you try to spin it.

btw thanks joffa and others for the reports. It's hard to follow when your curled up sick with the flu listening to dodgy buffering internet radio :P

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
jezza
Club Player

Casey Radio

Could reply solar.Really who cares what he said.He did mention the melbourne club a number of times as well. Even though with the amount of listed players Casey had in they should have won. Why do we think Hutchy is the Ants Pants

At the end of the day who cares,the saints played a large number of listed players and we are now getting our own way with our own coach in control.

Would have to say though why would Goddard and CJ not play on in the last quarter when the game was in the balance.

Casey play Frankston next week and it will be 12/10.Which players won't play in the Casey Seniors.

Ilzy#8
Club Player

Eljay and chivers played in the reserves... both did well especially chivers. Played at CHF and presented very well up the ground. Eljay did some good things around the ground and put in quite a few 1 percenters.

Round one next week for the reserves.

#13 BALLBANDWAGON Member

" You don't lose a game, you just run out of time to score "
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Ilzy#8 wrote:Eljay and chivers played in the reserves... both did well especially chivers. Played at CHF and presented very well up the ground. Eljay did some good things around the ground and put in quite a few 1 percenters.

and how did No.36 play today? get few touches?

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
nicko016
Club Player

Ilzy#8 wrote:Eljay and chivers played in the reserves... both did well especially chivers. Played at CHF and presented very well up the ground. Eljay did some good things around the ground and put in quite a few 1 percenters.

Were they the only two to play reserves or were there a couple others because there were a few others named neither for Scorps seniors nor St Kilda?

Solar
Saintsational Legend

Re: Casey Radio

jezza wrote:Could reply solar.Really who cares what he said.He did mention the melbourne club a number of times as well. Even though with the amount of listed players Casey had in they should have won. Why do we think Hutchy is the Ants Pants

At the end of the day who cares,the saints played a large number of listed players and we are now getting our own way with our own coach in control.

Would have to say though why would Goddard and CJ not play on in the last quarter when the game was in the balance.

Casey play Frankston next week and it will be 12/10.Which players won't play in the Casey Seniors.
just found it interesting hearing last years casey coach give special comments on casey. Very interested that he called them stkilda quite a few times.

Goddard was pulled out because we play this friday night, a half is enough in a short week

FQF
In richo I trust

adobe
Club Player

Solar wrote:gotta love this telecast.... if it's not dropping out or buffering they have 15 year olds doing the around the grounds or hositing duties.
Hang on mate this is community radio. These guys are
volunteering staff and give up their weekend so you can stay home by the heater and listen . Maybe you want to give a hand?

Solar
Saintsational Legend

adobe wrote:
Solar wrote:gotta love this telecast.... if it's not dropping out or buffering they have 15 year olds doing the around the grounds or hositing duties.
Hang on mate this is community radio. These guys are
volunteering staff and give up their weekend so you can stay home by the heater and listen . Maybe you want to give a hand?
what and inflict them with my flu??

FQF
In richo I trust

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/s ... 06972.html
Sandringham cruises home
Carley Jellett | March 31, 2008
Both sides were stacked with AFL-listed players. Sandringham had Adem Yze, Jared Rivers, Matthew Whelan and Mark Jamar, while Casey played with Matt Maguire, Clinton Jones, Brendon Goddard and Charlie Gardiner.

Casey coach Greg Hutchison said limited use of the St Kilda players — particularly Jones and Goddard — contributed to his side's poor third quarter.

"We had to make a couple of adjustments due to some requirements that we needed for some players next week so that impacted on us a little bit." Hutchison said

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
nicko016
Club Player

Must be had for VFL coaches trying to win the match when they have to juggle the requirements of AFL players. Must be pretty hard watching your team lose with star players on the bench unable to do anything.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Bit tough on Banfield here on the forum..who would want to coach a team who just circulates around to keep Saint players in form and has no chance of getting a settled team on the track..I would be frustrated to hell. I think most coaches want to win and obviously Banfield told 'em to stuff it as I would too...anyway past history.

super dooper
Club Player

Does anybody know when we find out about Armo and his report from the weekend?

Even if he doesnt play seniors, it is imperitive that he plays each week in our reserves for his development as a player

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

from memory VFL tribunal is Tuesday nights but it's amatter of whether its reported- Casey website maybe

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
saintjake
Club Player

what is the scorps website?