Footy Classified/The Australian....Riewoldt to CHB

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

TwoTowers
Club Player

Mr Magic wrote:
TwoTowers wrote:It has concerned me that Ross hasn't seemed willing to play Roo at CHB. Up forward his decision-making frequently lets him down and his leads are often poor.
That's why Roo is considered in the top 10 players in the AFL (if not top 5).

Can you imagine how good he would be if his leads weren't poor and his decision-making didn't frequently let him down. :roll:

Seriously guys, this is an article from Patrick Smith who I have been told many times by posters on this forum is to be totally ignored at all times.
I have no doubt Roo will become an even bigger superstar and neither I or Patrick Smith would even be discussing this if Gehrig hadn't surprised us all by coming back. Smith was discredited and ridiculed by all, including me, for his attacks on Grant Thomas.

I'm humble enough to concede Smith was wiser than I concerning our former 'coach' who has now shown many times over that he was a total hypocrite, full of his own b*llsh*t and without the slightest bit of integrity. I hate the guy for making such a fool of my trust and wasting so much precious time at our club.

mischa
Club Player

Don't tell me Fatpryck is trying to be profound :roll: :roll: This sounds like every piece of cobbled together rubbish that Hutchy and Walls might have spoken over the weekend. I mean why not Kosi :?: Agenda drivel as usual.

"Thanks korters. If Richmond kick more goals they'll win"-R.Scumbag (nee Walls)

The All Spin Zone-Saintsational.com
big_mac_evoy5
Club Player

they have yo be utterly insane they if they think rooey would be good there they are kidding hte boy is a born forward i would put kosi there out of the two is a gun can play there chf and ff and ruck he is a better fit and a great grab oh and someone called goose is making a return lol he will be there soon anyway no point getting rid of one of the best chb in the league because goose is that when at peak

saints for the flag armitage for rising start
TwoTowers
Club Player

ausfatcat wrote:
TwoTowers wrote:It has concerned me that Ross hasn't seemed willing to play Roo at CHB. Up forward his decision-making frequently lets him down and his leads are often poor. I'm not saying never play him up forward and I wouldn't expect us to change things around this week against the Bulldogs who have height problems down back, but if we were looking down the barrel at the end of the 1st qtr against a team like Geelong then I would applaud moving Roo down back.
Are you on something? It is a concern that RL hasn't moved one of the best CHF in game down back? It would be a concern if he did move him down back.

Roo had a bad game on Saturday still got a heap of possessions and klicked two goals IN A BAD GAME. Poor leading??? What seriously have you ever watched Roo play?
I'm not sure why you think I'm attacking Nick. I'm lucky enough to work in a job where I watch footy 60 hours a week and get paid good money to help AFL clubs win games. No-one is saying he is a poor forward and that he can only be played down back. But he does have areas to improve on and his decision-making as a forward is one of those. This is not just an opinion that I have reached on my own.

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

ausfatcat wrote:
TwoTowers wrote:It has concerned me that Ross hasn't seemed willing to play Roo at CHB. Up forward his decision-making frequently lets him down and his leads are often poor. I'm not saying never play him up forward and I wouldn't expect us to change things around this week against the Bulldogs who have height problems down back, but if we were looking down the barrel at the end of the 1st qtr against a team like Geelong then I would applaud moving Roo down back.
Are you on something? It is a concern that RL hasn't moved one of the best CHF in game down back? It would be a concern if he did move him down back.

Roo had a bad game on Saturday still got a heap of possessions and klicked two goals IN A BAD GAME. Poor leading??? What seriously have you ever watched Roo play?
Agree Ausfatcat! It has worked, and does work, we must persist with it, cause getting it right means its nearly a unbeatable foward line.

And what does Phatpryk mean by saints fans being "easily pleased"? WTF is that supposed to mean? Piss Off you imbecile. :twisted: :twisted:

supersaints
Club Player

Patricks playing with his tool (again) leave Roo where he hurts them, if you wanted to play someone at CHB Kossy makes more sense but really we will soon have Goose and BJ back......

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

whats the go with the age , saying goose should be back this week & not goddard>

Unforgiven
SS Life Member

Its only one game where things didn't go well. Overreacting, they will get it right sooner or later.

Carpe Diem
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

n1ck wrote:And what, when Goose finally comes back?
Goose has played one good game (against Hall in '06) since 2005. He has struggled to string matches together and when he has played he's been poor. Giving away free kicks, struggling for fitness and letting his opponent get away from him on leads.

If Maguire gets back to his 2004 form then of course he will be an automatic selection, but things aren't looking great for him right now. Until he has a full pre season I don't think he'll be in our best side.

saintwill66
Club Player

In my previous post I'm not suggesting that Riewoldt become a permanent CHB, simply that in circumstances during a game when the 3 tall forward structure fails, as it did in the 1st quarter against the Blues last week, the coaches move Riewoldt to CHB when the opposition had all the forward momentum. Against the Blues this would have taken Waite out of the Carlton defence and required a complete change of strategies for both teams. Having 3 tall forwards is only going to work if the forward 50 remains open, and wil only occure when there is very rapid forward movement of the ball from the midfield, which the Saints failed to achieve in the 1st quarter.

So all I'm arguing is that the coaches should be far more assertive in moving a key player like Riewoldt, who we all agree is the best running, marking KPO we have, when the opposition dominate the midfield clearances.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:
n1ck wrote:And what, when Goose finally comes back?
Goose has played one good game (against Hall in '06) since 2005. He has struggled to string matches together and when he has played he's been poor. Giving away free kicks, struggling for fitness and letting his opponent get away from him on leads.

If Maguire gets back to his 2004 form then of course he will be an automatic selection, but things aren't looking great for him right now. Until he has a full pre season I don't think he'll be in our best side.
Goose is and will be a walk up start when hes ready to go. Not only does he add strength down back he allows Fisher to play on a less damaging forward and provide a more attacking option. Goose is still one of the best CHB in the competeition.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:If Maguire gets back to his 2004 form then of course he will be an automatic selection, but things aren't looking great for him right now. Until he has a full pre season I don't think he'll be in our best side.
i fear that you might be right about this and from what i've heard he hasn't been setting the world on fire even for casey yet.

will be a real shame if he can't get back to his best because nothing seemed beyond him when he burst on to the scene.

i make no judgement about this, but he seemed to respond better to gt and perhaps struggles with RL's more accountable style.

maybe it is just a confidence thing. injuries like that horrible broken leg can play on your mind long-term i guess.

goose, rediscover the self-belief that you once had in abundance. the club needs you back to your best

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

concur

I would love to see goose return to form.

he's had a miserable time with injuries.

I think the softly softly approach with him is fair enough.

KPP backs of goose/fish/max/goddard and up forward reiwoldt/goddard/kosi/FG is mouth watering if they are all back in form and fit.

(yes I did put goddard in twice)

even if maguire is 80% match fit but fully healed, he would be more than handy for the third tall in an opposition forward line, taking pressure off goose and max.

I think maguire is a natural defender, his judgement for marking was brilliant, his courage unquestionable, and his work ethic excellent.

the only advantage of reiwoldt going to CHB allows goddard to dominate at CHF as I reckon he's a natural forward too.

IMO fully fit, st kilda is blessed with KPP talent.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Dan Warna wrote:I think maguire is a natural defender, his judgement for marking was brilliant, his courage unquestionable, and his work ethic excellent.
agree. and at his best when backing himself and taking risks.

was never the dour, close-checking type and would be a mistake for RL to try to turn him in into one.

actually should have made the stuff about goose a separate post

snoopygirl
SS Life Member

Nathan Brown has only just started getting back close to his best & it's almost 3 years since he broke his leg. It's only 18 months since Goose did his, so I'm sure he'll be given as much time as necessary, hence the extended run in the Scorps line up.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

snoopygirl wrote:Nathan Brown has only just started getting back close to his best & it's almost 3 years since he broke his leg. It's only 18 months since Goose did his, so I'm sure he'll be given as much time as necessary, hence the extended run in the Scorps line up.
concur

there are some that want to delist players who don't have brownlows at 18...WTF we should have drafted Judd, he has a brownlow! wtf we should have drafted bartell he has a brownlow!!!

and there are some that want to trade players after 1 bad game, ZOMG he had 3 possessions, we should have traded him for <insert generic richmond hack> when we had a chance.

and then there are some that can't see players take time to recover from injury ZOMG max got butchered by lloyd, what the hell, max sucks what a failure, oh if only we traded him for <insert generic richmond hack> when we had the chance.

really sometimes you are going to be right when condeming a player (barry brooks) but sometimes it just takes time.

I think if we did draft mcintosh (north ruckman) the 5 years he spent kicking around the magoos till his break through year would have seen him condemned to death by torture for taking up a spot on the st kilda list.

and montagna, who is now one of the best midfielders in teh competition was listed as trade bait because he wasn't dal santo.

IMO brilliant as Dal Santo is, and he is brilliant, monty is more valuable to the team on current form, if some had there way we'd have managed to scrounge a round 3 pick 4 seasons ago for monty ><

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I dont see why anyone would even think about playing Roo at CHB when Kosi needs to run into form. Kosi won his Rising Star award mainly playing at CHB.
I would like to see Kosi at CHB, Roo on one wing, BJ at CHF, and Fraser at FF. Perhaps Charlie Gardiner on one HFF and Schneids on the other. Milne in one Fp and a resting ruck, M,Gariner and S.King, in the other. It would be interesting to see what defence other clubs would come up with to counter these players.