Interesting piece by Rohan Connolly

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

spert
Saintsational Legend

Of course we need our good players! Take Ablett, Bartell and Scarlett out of Geelong..suddenly the big scores will not happen. Take Brad Johnson out of Footscray - end of their season. I am impressed with LFisher's tagging this season..a better bet than Baker as he probably wont do the dumb things and get rubbed out all the time. You need run through and out of the backline and that's what we are developing well so far. I'm sure RL will start to use Kosi a bit more in the backline. We will get better as the season goes on. I like Geary's form too..a good runner with good ball sense.

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:Is anyone else as concerned as me that our current style of play appears to rely really heavily on our good players being out there?
Justin Koschtizke, Nick Dal Santo and Nick Riewoldt played relatively average games on Saturday and we won ...

Our style of play has always relied on our star players being out there - we couldn't win a flag without our good players in 04, 05, 06 or 07 ...

Can any team win without their good players?

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:Is anyone else as concerned as me that our current style of play appears to rely really heavily on our good players being out there?
Justin Koschtizke, Nick Dal Santo and Nick Riewoldt played relatively average games on Saturday and we won ...

Our style of play has always relied on our star players being out there - we couldn't win a flag without our good players in 04, 05, 06 or 07 ...

So what's this concept of 'depth' we speak of?

Is it of any relevance?

yipper
SS Life Member

rodgerfox wrote:
Oh When the Saints wrote:

So what's this concept of 'depth' we speak of?

Is it of any relevance?
I would have thought it means that we can find a way to win even if our stars are shut down. That is what I regard as depth. Last week - even though only 2 goals camed from Kosi and Roo combined, we found a way to kick 19 and win well. I am seeing a Saints team being taught how to win no matter what!!

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
mbogo
SS Hall of Fame

Precisely, Yipper --- winning tough and dirty - but winning nevertheless is what it is all about. I no longer fear someone trying to "shut us down" - now we have more avenues and more flexibility.
Now for the Dogs and Cats - go Saints.

This is a team game and there is no room for individuals who think they are above walking through the fire.