Raph, and Jason

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

groupie1
Club Player

one agree, other disagree

I agree Blake is not up to scratch, though the work he does to get the best out of himself is admirable, he is quite simply not a good or smart enough footballer.
Leigh Fisher is another I'd be thinking to leave out. He has the skills and, again, the dedication, but there's no room for him down back, and if he's tagging, it's again another defensive 'posting.' S Baker coming back should relieve us of them.
I'm a Raph fan because i think he has potential to burn - I genuinely see him as a possible next-gen Koutifides. He just needs to be freed up - from Macquire's return.
L Fisher and Blake out for mine, for Gardiner and S Baker to make our best team.

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

I think Raph showed again that he is not up to it at present....and in the main throughout the NAB and earlier games has not been good enough.

Others are deserving of his place at present while he tries to improve at Casey.

Blake on the other hand put in his first bad game for the year. His other games have been ok to good.

I am somewhat surprised that many in the votes string have given Blake votes putting him in our top 5. Blakes opponent I am afraid destroyed him....and unfortunately Ross did not move him.

Now Blake and Raph were no Lone Rangers...about two thirds of our team were way below the standard required.

So based on ALL the games this year.....Raph should be at Casey next week....Blake remains in the pool of fringe players and the question will be raised at the selection table of:

Blake vs C Gardiner vs Dempster.

Armo unfortunately did not play as he was suspended but along with CJ will also be in the mix...and M Gardiner a certainty if fit.

Geary played his worst game of his three....but was ok..and at only 3 games I would not be too harsh. He is still leraning the game, but may be omitted in favour of an extra mid....or Dempster.

If M Gardiner is fit....can we have all of King, Kosi, GTrain and Roo?

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

i think bring in armo, Cj, C.gardiner,dempster

out

Blake,Fiora,raph, dunno the other

groupie1
Club Player

ins and outs

Some players need to be persisted with. I think RL showed last year he sees RC in the top 22, and wants him to make it in.
I know he's been poor - but I think if he gets freed up in mid or forward he might surprise a few people - bloke is super talented

I'd be looking at
Blake, L Fish, and yeah, possibly Fiora for...
CJ, Armo, Gardiner if fit (Blake stays if he's not fit)

One way or the other, the team will have far more 'nasty' in the mid with CJ, Armo, Baker than Fisher, Blake, Fiora when we eventually get Bakes back in

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:If M Gardiner is fit ... can we have all of King, Kosi, G-Train and Roo?
absolutely. riewoldt to the wing to try to get him into the game a bit more.

To the top
SS Life Member

I would not have Baker as a walk up start.

The game has passed his style by.

We have a mid-field correctly described by Sheahan and some want to introduce Baker as a small tagger!

And one who will be watched by "off the contest" umpires looking for any hint of an indiscretion.

We can not afford that, like we can no longer accomodate Milne.

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:I would not have Baker as a walk up start.

The game has passed his style by.

We have a mid-field correctly described by Sheahan and some want to introduce Baker as a small tagger!

And one who will be watched by "off the contest" umpires looking for any hint of an indiscretion.

We can not afford that, like we can no longer accomodate Milne.
we can so accomodate milne he is our leading goalkicker and he has still got it in him

so has bakes, he is a walkup start soon as he is back ,

NoMore
Club Player

This is the first time i have posted here and it is only because i can no longer take all the people on the i hate Raph Clarke bandwagon getting on here and bagging him out.

Anyone who says that Clinton Jones has more potential than him should not even be allowed to go to watch football. Raph is a player who is low on confidence and has only completed one pre-season in the whole time he has been at the club. Adam Cooney has completed every one since being drafted and we are only just starting to see the best of him. Give Raph time.

As for Clinton Jones. Those people who want him in the team should go and watch the VFL. Not only does he look rushed at that low level his kicking is disgraceful. We already have to many guys in the team who can't kick we don't need more.

While we are on the VFL there is a ready made clearance player in David Armitage playing in our VFL side that for some unknown reason can't get a go. He may be suspended right now i'm not sure but sureley when available he needs to be put in the side and given time in the midfield.

Thank you for listening to my rant.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Welcome No More....

Yes Raph has potential.....and I don't "hate" him or any other Saints player.

However right here and now, for players in our senior team we are overflowing with players labeled as having "potential".

Having potential....means to mea playing that is underperforming unless they are in their first or second year. Raph was taken in 2003 and is almost 23. Yes he has hada poor run with injuries,....and who knows where he may now be at if he had had better soft tissue mangement and conditioning?????

However, what we need right here and now are players that are delivering......and just at present I think myslf that there are better options than Raph.

We all hope that he can deliver on his potential, but the reality is at present that he is not (and he is no lone ranger there).

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

The game against the bulldogs would have really benefited from having guys like CJ and Armitage in the side.

This is in hindsight only. We were going to demolish them with our massive forwards and dominant mids and ruck. In the end it was the grunt work that was needed, and we fell short.

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

Although this was one of blakes worst games, he consistantly tries and i wish that all of our players had his heart and determination. I believe that the coach should have put another player on cooney as blake was soundly beaten.

As for raph, I beleave a couple of weeks in the scorps team in a different position than down back should pick his confidents back. ( I heard when he was a junior he played forward. Has a strong overhead mark and good goal kicking ability.) Dont blast me for this i heard it from a member at the dogs game.

When raph or X plays or is down back it worries me every time because more than likely the oppositon ends up with a scoring shot.

After all of that id prefer to have teething problems now in round 3 than at 16, - 22. coz grandfinals arent won in april.

NoMore
Club Player

Sorry saintsRising "Hate" was a poor chioice of words.

I understand what everyone is saying about Raph but Clinton Jones is good for maybe 10 touches a game, a few tackles and 5 blatant clangers. This is all he will ever be good for. Raph is a work in progress and anyone who has watched the VFL knows that it is a stupid competition for the AFL players to play in. So what is the point in going back there.

Andrew Thompson went back last year after struggling to get a touch and had 48 for Casey. Was he any better for us after that. It doesn't do them any good playing there. Let him learn in the seniors. If whether we win or lose rest on whether Raph makes 2 or 3 mistakes then there is something very wrong with our team.

I think maybe we should all begin pointing the fingers else where. Did anyone even realise Dal santo was playing untill they looked around for him on friday night. Or what about the G train. 1 goal is not good enough. And what about Montagna it is the second week in a row he has been soundly beaten.

Montagna and Dal santo are tagged out of the game far to often for League footballers of there class. I believe these 2 and X are our most important players because when they are firing the forwards get good delivery. To say Jason and Raph are the reason we are losing is just looking for a scape goat. I would suggest a few higher paid players should have a look at themselves as well as the coaching staff

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

No More..welcome again.

I think that there would be very few forumites with the view that Raph and or Blake alone cost us the game.

I think most forumites would have it that about two thirds of our team grossly underperformed post quarter time...and many have noted that Dal for example was a prime offender.

Others (not I ) would have it that Ross was the one to blame wholely and solely (though yes I was not happy with all of his moves.

I put the loss down mainly to too many players dropping their workrate after quarter time.

stkildajimmy

SaintsRising....well summed up.

I'll go one step further and voice what I believe many also feel - Ross we're simply not Sydney, we have too much talent. Allow us to play a more open, attacking game and we'll soon be reaping the dividends.

RC isn't an AFL backman wish he was but he's not. Ross, where else can we use his talents?

And this Saturday let's watch on as Del shines.

Huzzad
Club Player

saintsrus wrote:F*** off all you one time poster idiots, get a life
Oh stfu. So what if it is his first time? He has a right to post his opinion. I think you need to get a life mate, abusing people for posting on a forum...um, hello?

Welcome to the board g-train. Ignore the self-righteous pricks on here.

www.wikisaints.com - Your Online St Kilda Encyclopedia!

www.truesainters.com - A Friendly Forum Alternative

http://truesainters.wordpress.com - Player of the Round articles, match previews and reviews
congorozides
Club Player

Re: Raph, and Jason

FraserGehrig wrote:After each game this year I find myself wondering why Raph still makes the team. Clinton Jones is heaps better and has lots more potential. Raph crumbles under pressure and even when hes not under pressure. Also i am beggining to dislike jason blake. he has done so well but he gives away to many holding free kicks. he has 2 understand you cannot hold your opponent at a stoppage.
agree. both hacks. cut em loose.