Mick Sheahan

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:disagree entirely...

one match does not undo all structures and does not fully expose us

it was one half of football ffs...if he was to write this in a month if we played similarly and lost all the games then it would be valid

but it isnt ...its crap...it looks like mikey is simply writing whilst reading the general consensus off bigfooty

disagree with you SP 2008. I didn't see the game on Friday but saw enough in the first two rounds to seriously doubt that we're a bona-fide flag shot.
I think Sheahan's article has a lot of merit.
We do lack punch through the lines out of our mid-field. Riewoldt does look uncertain, Kosi is inconsistent, way too inconsistent. Dal has some nice touches but doesn't tear holes in the opposition like Kerr, West, Judd and other top-line mids - and he doesn't hurt them on the scoreboard like he could.
We lack penetration, apart from kicking 18 against Carlton (could and should have been 25) we've kicked scores in the 70 - 90 range throughout the NAB cup and round 1 and 3.
We have the talent it seems on paper, but it's not translating into consistency and power on the field. I think we'll finish 6 - 8. I can see Geelong, Hawthorn, Collingwood, West Coast and Adelaide ahead of us and maybe Sydney and Essendon too.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

I don't think Sheahan went hard enough personally.
There are a few blokes running round like millionaires, confused or otherwise.

If you want to be an elite or A grade player at AFL level, it shouldn't matter who is coaching.

I am sick of blaming coaches, injuries, umpires and which way the wind is blowing.

Just get the job done and run the game out for the full 120 minutes.

Gilbert=Legend

he nailed it, spot on mike.

Raph out, milne out, gilbert out, geary out.

Amitage in, goose in, gardiner in, eddy in

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
To the top wrote:The old story is that you are only as good as your last game.
therefore Sheahan is spot on in his article.

I cant believe how the media were so focussed on the Saints as a contender. We played OK in the praccy matches, won a ugly scrap agaist Sydney, beat the bye with a lacklustre performance, and when challenged by the Dogs gave up without a whimper.

Unfortunately Sheahan is pretty close on this one.
agree agree, and unfortunately it takes a well written schelacking from the media to fire us up (I assume!).

Why can't the fire in our side come from within not from the flame throwers?

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Saintschampions08
Club Player

Gilbert=Legend wrote:he nailed it, spot on mike.

Raph out, milne out, gilbert out, geary out.

Amitage in, goose in, gardiner in, eddy in
I'm sure taking out our leading goal kicker, and introducing 2 rookies, a CHB who hasn't played a good game since '06, would fix all our problems up. :roll:

nicko016
Club Player

It was a pretty spot on article. While our structure is obviously not working at the moment I don't think its a structure that will never work. The 1st quarter showed that when up and running it will be quite lethal. If Kosi and Roo can lift the forward line should be able to carry Fraser and his inconsistency and lack of defensive pressure, while hopefully providing a few goals.

Hawthorn have shown with their three talls Buddy, Roughead and Boyle that a tall forward line can work well. Thier a bit more agile, but the main difference being they get their service on a silver platter. Fixing our delivery to our forwards will be just as important as getting the three big talls playing well to fixing a structure. I just hope we can sort it out and produce some good consistent footy.

Miss Saints
Club Player

Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:disagree entirely...

one match does not undo all structures and does not fully expose us

it was one half of football ffs...if he was to write this in a month if we played similarly and lost all the games then it would be valid

but it isnt ...its crap...it looks like mikey is simply writing whilst reading the general consensus off bigfooty
I agree- it was one match, and only the third one of the year. Plenty of time to improve. People are too quick to dismiss the Saints.

sainters man
Club Player

its funny if people jump back on board if we win this week, and our team is once again a premiership favourite team and everyone loves the coach again..........its really pathetic round 3 guys?

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

sainters man wrote:its funny if people jump back on board if we win this week, and our team is once again a premiership favourite team and everyone loves the coach again..........its really pathetic round 3 guys?
i agree it has been 3 rounds into a 22 round season, why are we saying Ross needs to be sacked harvey sucks etc WHEN he is 37 we dont expect him to do anything more then what he does.

cut the boys a bit of slack,

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

ralphysaints35 wrote:it has been 3 rounds into a 22 round season, why are we saying Ross needs to be sacked harvey sucks etc WHEN he is 37 we dont expect him to do anything more then what he does.
Nobody is saying that and you know it.

Everyone here loves Harves and everybody here wants Ross to succeed.

That we are furious that our team copped a 75-point turnaround and squibbed at the chance to go 3-0 is a legitimate worry - particuarly given it exposed quite a bit about some of the weaker points of our game.

ralphysaints35, think a bit more before you post mate. Being a supporter sometimes means speaking your mind when you believe things aren't acceptable.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Those last three quarters against the Dogs - those who know footy knew it was more than a bad night.

We've gone 2-4 since then. We blitzed them in the first term - we should have been 3-0.

But we're not. That night exposed so much about the fatal flaws in our club, and that nothing has been done about it since.

Sheahan was just about spot on. And interesting to note that a lot of SS posters realised it wasn't just a bad night at the office...they saw it was something deeper.

That night was like biting into what appeared to be a ripe apple, and then seeing what was really inside.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.