Nick Dalsanto

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:
plugger66 wrote:I think he was poor on Friday expecailly minding Hill who basically helped set up the Victory. But I do think he is trying and I think he puts in every week. It may be his running style that gives the impression he isnt flat out. He should never be given a role where is asked to mind someone. That is not his go but the problem with that is RL demands that we play like that and to me that doesnt suit Dal, Harvs or Joey as they dont have a defensive game.
You serious that you believe he was given a role to shut down a FIRST YEAR player (ok he did play one game last year but even he said that was lucky). This is suposedly a front line midfielder?

The problem was not that Hill got alot of the ball, but the fact that dal went in half hearted into wa too many contests. He refuses to cop the tackle, even if it opens up a chance for a team mate. IMO he is at the crossroads and dropping him for a more solid midfielder (CJ, armo and birss all had good NAB cups) could be what both the player and the team needs.
No I dont think he was given a role to shut down Hill but when you play on the wing you have an opponent. That is why he should play in the middle and up forward. In the middle you really dont have anyone to look after and up forward he will have someone worrying about him. I actually think he gets alot of hardball as proven by stats which say he has the highest contested ball of any midfielder since the start of last year.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

I know he had a high amount of hard ball gets but I would assume without watching that this has fallen dramatically (stats people?).....

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

him breaking up with his gf could have been a massive point in why he played crap.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

ralphysaints35 wrote:him breaking up with his gf could have been a massive point in why he played crap.
yes that's a very good point. can tend to knock a guy around a bit

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Solar wrote:You serious that you believe he was given a role to shut down a FIRST YEAR player (ok he did play one game last year but even he said that was lucky). This is suposedly a front line midfielder?
The Crows had to put Andrew McLeod on that first year player to shut him down. It's disingenuous to suggest he's your normal run-of-the-mill rookie. In any case, Hill and Dal didn't see a lot of each other. Hill dropped back to play as a link man between the 50s. Dal didn't follow him. It ended up as a win for the Bulldogs as Hill did a great job running and carrying and Dal wasn't very damaging out of defence. I still don't understand why he was there in the first place.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

wouldnt be suprised if we see him come out after a week or so after it happened, wouldnt be suprised if we see him play a great game.

breaking up with agirlfriend knocks you around alot, dont drop him cause of a few games down on form

Behind Play
Club Player

ralphysaints35 wrote:wouldnt be suprised if we see him come out after a week or so after it happened, wouldnt be suprised if we see him play a great game.

breaking up with agirlfriend knocks you around alot, dont drop him cause of a few games down on form
Things are fine now again. I am certain he will have a great week this week and many more after this one. Go Dal!

Sobraz
SS Life Member

What crap about his girlfriend... If that is the reason he pulled out such a shocker, then goodnight to this 'potential' star... Its time for him to grab the bull by the horns...

Otherwise we'll have no reason to bag Carlton as we'll have our own Nick Stevens on our hands... Im seriously worried about this possibility..

Behind Play
Club Player

Sobraz wrote:What crap about his girlfriend... If that is the reason he pulled out such a shocker, then goodnight to this 'potential' star... Its time for him to grab the bull by the horns...

Otherwise we'll have no reason to bag Carlton as we'll have our own Nick Stevens on our hands... Im seriously worried about this possibility..
I am pretty sure that was not the reason and I am certain Dal wouldn't use it as an excuse, so Sobraz no need to worry.

Lynch Beast
Club Player

I don't think you can blame Dal for the effort on Friday night

I watched the replay this morning, overall work rate from the entire midfield was shocking after the first quarter and this resulted in poor delivery to the forwards, bad transition from the backline and defenders being caught out of position on the rebound.

Your team won ~6 in a row if you include the preseason comp, it's hard enough to win 3 in a row at any time of the season so when you come up against a team with a much higher work rate and with momentum it can be hard to stop.

Your game plan is fine, you have the players to beat any team in the comp but it will depend on work rate week to week and some small tweaks in player positions (mostly Kozi and Dal) in order to get maximum value out of them more often.

Dal is one of the most creative teflon coated outside players in the league, if your inside guys aren't getting the job done to create space or apply pressure to the opposition then he or the other outside players can't do there job (finishing) and will naturally look worse t.

Just be grateful you actually have some players who can break the lines or kick to a forward on occasion - West Coast haven't lost a game in the clearances so far this year but they can't kick to a forward for s*** !

Dal_Santos_Gal
Saintsational Legend

Lynch Beast wrote: if your inside guys aren't getting the job done to create space or apply pressure to the opposition then he or the other outside players can't do there job (finishing) and will naturally look worse t.
But LB, people are complaining on this thread about how "Dal" needs to go in a get the hardball but they can't seem to understand that you need players around the outside of a pack to receive the ball.

I did meation this pages ago on this thread but no one seems to listen.

But In all honestly Dal played the worse game I have ever seen him playe and I have even heard people talking about it on SEN this afternoon. The soapbox was full of callers about Dal.
Yeah it broke my heart to hear it but hopefully the weeks shake up with shake some life back into one of the most silkest players in the league.

In Ross Get lost!

I am excited to stay at St Kilda and this is a great result for the Club and all our fans. I’m proud to be part of the Saints and am pleased to be playing football with the Clubâ€
miss_xt

Behind Play wrote:
ralphysaints35 wrote:wouldnt be suprised if we see him come out after a week or so after it happened, wouldnt be suprised if we see him play a great game.

Things are fine now again. I am certain he will have a great week this week and many more after this one. Go Dal!
So he's back with his girlfriend? You have just broken the hearts of many of the girls I teach!

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Dal_Santos_Gal wrote: But LB, people are complaining on this thread about how "Dal" needs to go in a get the hardball but they can't seem to understand that you need players around the outside of a pack to receive the ball.

NDS girl, no one is blaming him for not being an in and under player we have heaps of grunts in the side. NDS IS an out side receiver, and if you go back to previous pages you will read that.
What is frustrating supporters, is that he has NEVER come close to the hype that has been heaped on him. He is lazy, & while he gets lots of cheap possessions he does not damage sides either in defense or on the scoreboard. Clearly he is skilful there is no doubt, but he needs to lift to a whole new level.
Last edited by sunsaint on Wed 09 Apr 2008 8:31pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seeya
Behind Play
Club Player

sunsaint wrote:
Dal_Santos_Gal wrote: But LB, people are complaining on this thread about how "Dal" needs to go in a get the hardball but they can't seem to understand that you need players around the outside of a pack to receive the ball.

NDS girl, no one is blaming him for not being an in and under player we have heaps of grunts in the side. NDS IS an out side receiver, and if you go back and to previous pages you will get read that.
What is frustrating supporters, is that he has NEVER come close to the hype that has been heaped on him. He is lazy, & while he gets lots of cheap possessions he does not damage sides either in defense or on the scoreboard. Clearly he is skilful there is no doubt, but he needs to lift to a whole new level.
He had one bad game, give the kid a go. Watch him this week

Miss Saints
Club Player

Dal is one of those players that always looks like he is doing it easy, which is great when he's in form but looks terrible if he has an off night like he did last week (along with most of our team).
Start him in the centre square this week and he'll tear them up
http://blogs.news.com.au/heraldsun/afl/ ... me_undone/

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Miss Saints wrote:Dal is one of those players that always looks like he is doing it easy, which is great when he's in form but looks terrible if he has an off night like he did last week (along with most of our team).
Start him in the centre square this week and he'll tear them up
http://blogs.news.com.au/heraldsun/afl/ ... me_undone/
So are you on staff at the HS??????...and was the blog your idea or your editors?????

This is meant to be a non-commercial site by the way.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Megamaguire
Club Player

Dal Santo to respond positively

Whip those pussies dally

Who's more damaging Gary Ablett; Jimmy Bartel or Dally?

Go For it Nick!

Just do it Saints!

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

Re: Dal Santo to respond positively

Megamaguire wrote:Whip those pussies dally

Go For it Nick!

Just do it Saints!

bartell....at the moment i would think him

saints_forever
Club Player

i guess this is on the topic of dally but any ways does he have a brother that plays footy for an afl club one of the boys from school told me but im about 99 percent sure hes having me on lol

loving nick dal santo
Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

saints_forever wrote:i guess this is on the topic of dally but any ways does he have a brother that plays footy for an afl club one of the boys from school told me but im about 99 percent sure hes having me on lol
dal santo?

doesnt have a brother playing for a afl club

saints_forever
Club Player

thanks i didnt think so, it was an essendon supporter who told me so just trying to annoy me once again lol

loving nick dal santo
Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

saints_forever wrote:thanks i didnt think so, it was an essendon supporter who told me so just trying to annoy me once again lol
also you would think he would be playing for us, liek we have both clarkes, but there isnt a dal santo brother i dont think

StSteven
Club Player

Re: Dal Santo to respond positively

Megamaguire wrote:Whip those pussies dally

Go For it Nick!

Just do it Saints!
1. Bartel
2. Ablett
3. Dally

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Dal_Santos_Gal wrote:
But In all honestly Dal played the worse game I have ever seen him playe and I have even heard people talking about it on SEN this afternoon. The soapbox was full of callers about Dal.
Yeah it broke my heart to hear it but hopefully the weeks shake up with shake some life back into one of the most silkest players in the league.
that may have been Ox leading the discussion to create his article :shock:
http://insidefootballonline.com/schwarz.html

Run the key to being in good Nick
Nick Dal Santo is an elite midfielder, yet like so many before him he often becomes complacent, racking up a huge number of possessions rather than doing the hard work that has got him to this position. When he gets the ball and has time and space there are very few that can match his disposal and decision-making going forward. The trouble is most sides know this and he is now given more attention, played tighter and is often shut down from getting that outside possession. Dal Santo has to get that hard-working run back into his game, the style that can break tags. He must push himself until close to exhaustion and then use the interchange to let him recharge his batteries, return and have an impact. He is the icing on the cake for St Kilda with Robert Harvey, Lenny Hayes and Leigh Montagna alongside him in the midfield. It’s not easy when you are one of the stars, but the biggest pitfall for players down on form is to be selfish. To go kick chasing and play for possessions only brings the team structure undone. Dal Santo is experienced enough to realise this and don’t be surprised if it comes out on the weekend and has one of his best games against Geelong.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

amazing how one comment can be come the TOPIC of the week
here is the ' on the couch ' discussion on Nick

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107