Good Effort Boys

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

LENNY LEADS THE WAY
Club Player

Good Effort Boys

1st quater absolutely magnificent hard at the ball hard at the man the intestity was there from the get go matched it with girlong and more.

Full credit to Nick Dal Santo last week i started a thread on ur softness this week in no way was u a match winner but i witnessed him going in hard time after time so yes he can do it.

I'm shattered but let's face it the cats are a bloody good team we had some good signs now lets regroup and go thru the bombers next week.

100 percent behind the saints 100 percent of the time
brown-coat
SS Hall of Fame

Yes the cats are a champion team, no doubts.

Now we have our biggest bogey side next week. Hurahh.

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

Re: Good Effort Boys

LENNY LEADS THE WAY wrote:1st quater absolutely magnificent hard at the ball hard at the man the intestity was there from the get go matched it with girlong and more.

Full credit to Nick Dal Santo last week i started a thread on ur softness this week in no way was u a match winner but i witnessed him going in hard time after time so yes he can do it.

I'm shattered but let's face it the cats are a bloody good team we had some good signs now lets regroup and go thru the bombers next week.
thank you a reasonable comment

geelong are sensational.

for 60 minutes they played football that would have smashed any team of the last 5 years

they don't miss targets, they are hard over the ball, it's like they play with 15 michael vosses in the team

Buckets
SS Life Member

terry smith rules wrote:
LENNY LEADS THE WAY wrote:1st quater absolutely magnificent hard at the ball hard at the man the intestity was there from the get go matched it with girlong and more.

geelong are sensational.

for 60 minutes they played football that would have smashed any team of the last 5 years

they don't miss targets, they are hard over the ball, it's like they play with 15 michael vosses in the team

They know how to play as a TEAM they back themselves in while our guys continue to second guess every time they have the ball. Cats were good but not impressive. They did all the needed to do to win and thats all you have to do!

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
Wollongong_saint
Club Player

brown-coat wrote:
Now we have our biggest bogey side next week. Hurahh.
And our second biggest bogey side the week after that.
So in two weeks we will know exactly where we stand. Two weeks and we'll know. A lot could happen in two weeks.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

I agree, the boys tried really hard today. I was proud of them.

The tragedy is that, less than a season and a half ago, we were more than a match for Geelong.

No doubt Geelong have stepped up several gears, and some of their young players are real guns. However, I can't help feeling that we saw a team today with a far better on-field structure than ours.

I have been (perhaps rightly) been criticised on here for my constant bagging of Lyon over the past week. But there is clearly something wrong with our setup.

Archie Fraser was interviewed at halftime on the telly, and was asked what the club felt about the media criticism of Lyon's coaching over the past week. He just kept on saying "we are really happy with Lyon's game plan" and variations on the same theme.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Wollongong_saint
Club Player

Couldn't agree more. I want to put my faith in Lyon but we're inevitably going to have to question him. It's a combination of tactics and players but I think the players are less to blame.

LENNY LEADS THE WAY
Club Player

Wollongong_saint wrote:Couldn't agree more. I want to put my faith in Lyon but we're inevitably going to have to question him. It's a combination of tactics and players but I think the players are less to blame.
Tactics seemed to be good in the 1st term

Goody
Club Player

As mentioned we played the best team in years and got suitably beaten.
We are not up to there standard and wont be for a while.
We will only make up the numbers this year, albeit in the 8.
I think today we showed we are a good side frought with problems and only with some luck will we go any higher than 5th.
Frazer looked awful!!!
Will he ever be the leading forward we all loved
Dissapopntment and beer stops me here

Followed Saints since '71
Sir Robert Harvey was my favorite player
Stewie Lowe and Plugger before that.
Loved watching Rooey and Jack Steven
Now looking forward to the future

Some people make things happen, some people watch things happen, but most just say " What the f#&k happened!".
SuperSaint
Club Player

terry smith rules wrote:

geelong are sensational.

Geez, let's not inflate their ego's any further, with this comment, "for 60 minutes they played football that would have smashed any team of the last 5 years"
Yes, they were good but I don't believe they are better than the Lions team that won 3 consecutive flags. That qualifying final they played against us in 2004 was way more impressive than Geelong's effort today. What made Geelong look even better for that hour or so you are talking about is the obvious deficiencies of our team. Our intensity in the 2nd quarter was below par and the reality is we bloody made them look that good from the drop off in our field play and dismal finishing skills.

Wollongong_saint
Club Player

LENNY LEADS THE WAY wrote:
Wollongong_saint wrote:Couldn't agree more. I want to put my faith in Lyon but we're inevitably going to have to question him. It's a combination of tactics and players but I think the players are less to blame.
Tactics seemed to be good in the 1st term
I agree - so what happened? Those tactics didn't continue. I'm no tactician but there was a totally different feel to our structure, slower and less direct.

Hawkesbury Saint
Club Player

When the game was in the balance I found some of the unpiring decisions quite bewildering. :?

Has anyons told them they actually can't win the Brownlow. Perhaps then they wouldn't try to dominate the game!

I hope some of the rubbish decisions we saw are somewhat balanced at the tribunal this week. I forsee three changes to the Cats for next week if there is any consistency in enforcing the rules of the game. But then again if we fail to see rules appropriately applied on the ground on Saturday, why wouldn't the pattern contnue during the week and especially on tribunal night? :x

We need forwards who can kick. The only one who looks like he will score is Fraser, yet he is used in such a way that he can't get the ball in the forward line. :shock:

Up to 6 changes to the Saints likely this week too I reckon. Ross said he meant business and now he needs to act on his vision and game plan.

Saints Footy - Let all others follow.
kalsaint
Club Player

terry smith rules wrote:

geelong are sensational.

I totally agree with this but; its there ability to get that extra person around the contest, their willingness to protect the player with the ball, are their willingness to trust their team mates to go down the corridor.

All this is a tribute to their gut running and their ability to go 4 quarters. This is something the Saints still need to develop. There were signs early in 2004 but I haven't seen this consistently since then.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
spert
Saintsational Legend

Lets not get too much into the "Geelong are a great team, so great effort boys" routine.. it sounds like talk from our dark periods back in the '80s. The Cats are a quality team, but we should be saying "not a good enough effort" as the motto until I see real improvment by a lot of players. We didn't show Geelong enough respect and overall it was pretty undisciplined effort by us...actually one of the most disappointing games I have seen us play for a while. I really noticed today that Gehrig, Max and Harvs have played one year too many.

Wollongong_saint
Club Player

spert wrote:I really noticed today that Gehrig, Max and Harvs have played one year too many.
I can't believe how many people are saying this already. Max has held our backline through 4 VERY shaky games. He is playing better than I have seen in years. Fraser is out of form and suffering from poor coaching at the moment. And Harvey......I can't believe how many of you are dropping him from your team........poor, poor form. You better not hold your head up again and laud him when he switches it back on.....poor form.

SuperSaint
Club Player

spert wrote:Lets not get too much into the "Geelong are a great team, so great effort boys" routine.. it sounds like talk from our dark periods back in the '80s. The Cats are a quality team, but we should be saying "not a good enough effort" as the motto until I see real improvment by a lot of players. We didn't show Geelong enough respect and overall it was pretty undisciplined effort by us...actually one of the most disappointing games I have seen us play for a while. I really noticed today that Gehrig, Max and Harvs have played one year too many.
I agree with most you say, as my earlier post, however Max & Harvs have been serviceable for the games they have played so far. Gehrig, on the other hand, I agree. He should have stayed in Europe and not bothered this year.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote: I really noticed today that Gehrig, Max and Harvs have played one year too many.

maybe...maybe not.......it was banger who set us up in the first quarter,.,,,we were killing them until he got injured......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
kalsaint
Club Player

Agree Woolongong

These 3 players are not the only reason we lost today.

Harve's was injured.

We still dont run as hard as other teams and give up easy turnovers from short hadpassess and poor kicking (even when not under pressure).

Oh we cant kick eay goals either. How many other AFL teams have this problem that are top 8 sides? Most dont have all these problems.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
SuperSaint
Club Player

stinger wrote:
spert wrote: I really noticed today that Gehrig, Max and Harvs have played one year too many.

maybe...maybe not.......it was banger who set us up in the first quarter,.,,,we were killing them until he got injured......
Isn't it sad though that we mainly rely on a 37 year old to be our gut-running midfielder? :roll:

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:Lets not get too much into the "Geelong are a great team, so great effort boys" routine.. it sounds like talk from our dark periods back in the '80s.
Exactly - but that's the nature of our support base.

Happy to embrace a good effort; willing to tolerate mediocrity.

Facts are we got smashed by a team willing to play four quarters. We were willing to play one, maybe one and a half.

I'm not sure why so many people are happy about this. Geelong aren't that good to be honest - they just have a dip 100% of the game and that means that when we fly into la la land, they dominate.

It's a foolish way to play football, but my views on football differ to Ross Lyon, I guess.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

LENNY LEADS THE WAY
Club Player

evertonfc wrote:
spert wrote:Lets not get too much into the "Geelong are a great team, so great effort boys" routine.. it sounds like talk from our dark periods back in the '80s.
Exactly - but that's the nature of our support base.

Happy to embrace a good effort; willing to tolerate mediocrity.

Facts are we got smashed by a team willing to play four quarters. We were willing to play one, maybe one and a half.

I'm not sure why so many people are happy about this. Geelong aren't that good to be honest - they just have a dip 100% of the game and that means that when we fly into la la land, they dominate.

It's a foolish way to play football, but my views on football differ to Ross Lyon, I guess.
Yes ur right lets not look for any positives and just go on about everything we did wrong and i'd back Ross Lyons thoughts on how to play footy more than urs champ.

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

The big problem is Geelong hit their targets the Saints don't. Far too many skill errors although the intensity was good. Jones, Riewoldt and Milne should have kicked those goals. Maguire was OK in his 1st game.

Another opportunity awaits!
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

please lets not start cheering mediocrity

this week is much more disappointing than last week

please tell me what Ross watches while sitting in that box all day. Is it the football?

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

LENNY LEADS THE WAY wrote:Yes ur right lets not look for any positives and just go on about everything we did wrong and i'd back Ross Lyons thoughts on how to play footy more than urs champ.
"Urs"

Jesus. The Y-Z demographic is shining tonight.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

LENNY LEADS THE WAY
Club Player

evertonfc wrote:
LENNY LEADS THE WAY wrote:Yes ur right lets not look for any positives and just go on about everything we did wrong and i'd back Ross Lyons thoughts on how to play footy more than urs champ.
"Urs"

Jesus. The Y-Z demographic is shining tonight.
My apologies sir. Now calling me the y_z demographic is this a personal attack should the mods look at this? oh yeah that's right u are 1 so u can be a smart ass can't u