St.Kilda's media caning

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

St.Kilda's media caning

You would think we have lost 14 matches in a row or something with the media caning we've copped this week. Its insane. Our season is far from over. you only have to go back twelve months to see geelong were in similar trouble to us (albeit with a much higher percentage)

Why on earth were there no less than NINE articles in the herald sun today that have to do with St.Kilda? Including one of the mian articles regarding Chappy's comments. Think they've been trolling bogfooty this week.

Honestly, Carlton, Richmond and Melbourne are in more trouble than us but WE are the scapegoats for it this week. Why are people so prepared to write us off? The last time this happened we went to Adelaide and knocked off the best team of the year on their home soil with an undermanned side.

Ordinarily I wouldn't mind because usually a media caning has a big effect on the field - but it won't in our case. If there's one thing that pisses me off about St.Kilda its that they are almost robotic in response to bad media. They don't thrive off it like other teams. they don't set out to prove a point. They used to - but now they don't.

Its spread everywhere else too. The opposition fans may all say that we're not that great, that we are pretenders, whatever. The fact is it is round three. There are nineteen chances to redeem ourselves and make a statement this year. Not saying we will, but there is a chance for us and we need to take it.

I think most people would agree if we changed the gameplan and attacked the ball more ferociously and became a bit harder on the field, we could very well be in with a chance this year. Everything else has been clicking into place, recruiting managers, fitness advisers, we've had a major overhaul and gotten rid of the coach who they ALL said would NEVER win a flag for St.KIlda. Well, guess what? They were all right! But now he's left some of them say we shouldn't have sacked him in the first place?

And while I'm on that topic, most of them wrote the saints off when Fraser retired saying "He's a big loss to cover". We got him back and after three bad games (sorry actually two; forgot he didn't play round one) they say we never should've re-drafted him.

Just goes to show that the general public are just as fickle as the media. Fair enough - but in any case, regardless of what happens today, there are still many chances this year for St.KIlda to make a massive improvement. Our window is not shut, our chances are not gone and there is time to redeem ourselves. geelong seized the chance last year - now time will tell if we can too.

RoseInOz
Club Player

I was one who was really disappointed last week, but I went searching and found this. It gave me heart and made me realise that I don't need to worry YET. (Look where Geelong were).

Round 5 2007

1st WEST COAST 138% 20
2nd PORT ADELAIDE 120% 16
3rd SYDNEY 122% 12
4th ADELAIDE 113% 12
5th ESSENDON 111% 12
6th BRISBANE 109% 12
7th COLLINGWOOD 103% 12
8th HAWTHORN 101% 12
9th BULLDOGS 96% 12
10th GEELONG 120% 8
11th KANGAROOS 99% 8
12th FREMANTLE 97% 8
13th ST KILDA 87% 8
14th CARLTON 78% 8
15th RICHMOND 79% 0
16th MELBOURNE 64% 0

Most people achieved their greatest success one step beyond what looked like their greatest failure.
Our time is now! Please let it be 2012!
StSteven
Club Player

Let's face it they are a far better team than we are though. Don;t expect a miracle work on the future.

RoseInOz
Club Player

I know they are a better team, but I was so down I needed to re-focus, and that gave me hope that we might at least make the 8.

Most people achieved their greatest success one step beyond what looked like their greatest failure.
Our time is now! Please let it be 2012!
Hawkesbury Saint
Club Player

The big difference between in your comparison is percentage. The Cats were at 120% with two losses! We were 87% and look like being the same this week. There's the difference! If the signs weren't there already that the Cats were set for big things then we didn't want to see. Saints at 87% - well that tells the story too doesn't it!

Saints Footy - Let all others follow.
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

The media got it spot on and read us like a book.

They saw we can get exposed by teams willing to run and capable of executing basic football skills.

We had the opportunity to answer the critics in the second half of today's game, but we opted to squib, which I felt was quite bizarre.

We are now in 2-2 - two average wins and two horrible losses.

Realistically, if the media has any balls, they'll ask the hard questions this week again until they get an answer.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.