Good Effort Boys

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saint_in_SA
Club Player

Moccha wrote:The big problem is Geelong hit their targets the Saints don't. Far too many skill errors although the intensity was good. Jones, Riewoldt and Milne should have kicked those goals. Maguire was OK in his 1st game.
Spot on there, their skill level is superior to ours, end of story. Our kicking has been poor, we struggle to hit targets and kick accurately at the sticks.

We tried just as hard as them, you could not criticize the endeavor.

It is only Round 4, we are in the mix still and I am confident we will improve as the season progresses. :wink:

A-HUH A-HUH A-HUH
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

LENNY LEADS THE WAY wrote:
evertonfc wrote:
LENNY LEADS THE WAY wrote:Yes ur right lets not look for any positives and just go on about everything we did wrong and i'd back Ross Lyons thoughts on how to play footy more than urs champ.
"Urs"

Jesus. The Y-Z demographic is shining tonight.
My apologies sir. Now calling me the y_z demographic is this a personal attack should the mods look at this? oh yeah that's right u are 1 so u can be a smart ass can't u
Given the nature of your post, it looked a good call and now it looks a great call.
Last edited by evertonfc on Sat 12 Apr 2008 6:52pm, edited 1 time in total.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

you must be kidding Lenny, this week was arguably worse than last

we're not the Socceroos, please stop encouraging mediocrity

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

honestly i was expecting a 60-80 point drubbing during the 3rd . the thing i noticed is the way geelong always seem to have faith in thier teammates to win their contest which is something we lack big time where geelong enter the forward line with every one of their players as a viable option where as we enter the 50 and look up to se Gehrig in a wressle kosi with two to beat and roo whith two to beat so instead of finding the open available player we just kick it to kosi and hope or boot it in the genral direction of Roo and hope the three pronged attack can work but we need other options it cannot be those three or nothing

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote:please stop encouraging mediocrity
But isn't blind faith part of being a true supporter?

The rest of us are merely fake supporters, not entitled to speak the truth...even when it's obvious.

Hughjarce
Club Player

Who said Dal Santo played well he was smashed by Ling !!! He is way too soft.

Our disposal is disgraceful we handball to blokes who are standing still or not even looking. Grams kicking is not AFL standard and we cannot kick to a leading forward.

To accomplish great things we must not only act but also dream, not only plan but also believe.
LENNY LEADS THE WAY
Club Player

Hughjarce wrote:Who said Dal Santo played well he was smashed by Ling !!! He is way too soft.

Our disposal is disgraceful we handball to blokes who are standing still or not even looking. Grams kicking is not AFL standard and we cannot kick to a leading forward.
Didn't say dal played well said he was going in hard and yes he was beaten by Ling most people are.

Was just commenting that his hardness was better if u don't agree i suggest u look at a reply of the game

100 percent behind the saints 100 percent of the time
Hughjarce
Club Player

I was at the game he was constanty beaten at the breakdowns. He picked up some easy kicks later drifting off by himself. He does not do enough to support the likes of Hayes, Monty and Ball

To accomplish great things we must not only act but also dream, not only plan but also believe.
LENNY LEADS THE WAY
Club Player

Hughjarce wrote:I was at the game he was constanty beaten at the breakdowns. He picked up some easy kicks later drifting off by himself. He does not do enough to support the likes of Hayes, Monty and Ball
1st qtr i believe it was dal that went in hard and got the 1st 2 centre clearances i'd say in the hardness steaks he lifted and i no he didn't get enough of the ball and was beaten i'm only praising the fact he went in harder then last week

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

we had the EXACT same problems as last week, you'd think Lyon would do SOMETHING to fix these...

Manning up - why don't they do it? why, WHY? how mnay times did they have spare players in there backline, spare players running thru the middle, even spare bloody players deep in their forward line?!?!

Tackling - we are pathetic at it (when we actually try to tackle them , and not just run beside them) and even when we do lay a tackle, they continually let them hand ball or kick it free!

Kicking into our forward line - imagine how much better Roo would be if he actually could get half decent delivery (same goes for Kosi and G) :roll:

and lastly, and prob most infuriating;

Flying the flag - did ANYONE fly the flag, or even get a bit physical, with ANY of the Geelong players?!?!

pathetic

happy feet
Club Player

Pathetic

Lets face it, we were as weak as p@$$. We are supposed to have a sensational list - well where are they. Nobody seems to want to kick a goal. Fitness seems an issue as does hardness at the ball. I am sick of hearing how good the other teams are. Our problem is our team and look forward to a long season of losses after the last two weeks efforts.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

SuperSaint wrote:Isn't it sad though that we mainly rely on a 37 year old to be our gut-running midfielder? :roll:
actually we dont.
but he still has an unbelievable average of possessions per game over 20 years, and still prob runs further and harder than any player in the team for the time he is on the ground.
No side in the competition would have got rid of harves at the end of last year if he was on their list.

seems that our initial game plan of attack works (last two weeks, first quarters), then the counter game plan comes from the other side........and we have no response from upstairs .(???)
who knows, but today and last week wasnt really good enough for the talent we KNOW we have.
6 goals after half time just doesnt really cut it.

Hughjarce
Club Player

Re: Pathetic

happy feet wrote:Lets face it, we were as weak as p@$$. We are supposed to have a sensational list - well where are they. Nobody seems to want to kick a goal. Fitness seems an issue as does hardness at the ball. I am sick of hearing how good the other teams are. Our problem is our team and look forward to a long season of losses after the last two weeks efforts.
I am perplexed that people think we have a senastional list. The only A grade player in our team is Reiwoldt. A smattering of B graders like Hayes, S Fisher, Montagna, Dal Santo, Ball then a load of C graders and a couple not up to AFL standard.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Hughjarce wrote:
happy feet wrote:Lets face it, we were as weak as p@$$. We are supposed to have a sensational list - well where are they. Nobody seems to want to kick a goal. Fitness seems an issue as does hardness at the ball. I am sick of hearing how good the other teams are. Our problem is our team and look forward to a long season of losses after the last two weeks efforts.
I am perplexed that people think we have a sensational list. The only A grade player in our team is Riewoldt. A smattering of B graders like Hayes, S Fisher, Montagna, Dal Santo, Ball then a load of C graders and a couple not up to AFL standard.
Truest words on this forum tonight.

Excellent call.

LENNY LEADS THE WAY
Club Player

evertonfc wrote:
Hughjarce wrote:
I am perplexed that people think we have a sensational list. The only A grade player in our team is Riewoldt. A smattering of B graders like Hayes, S Fisher, Montagna, Dal Santo, Ball then a load of C graders and a couple not up to AFL standard.

Excellent call.
That's right folks if Everton agrees it's a excellent call and must be fact

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:
Hughjarce wrote:

Excellent call.
Depends on your definition of A and B grade. What I think you've captured here Everton is that we have several players who have an A grade reputation, but B grade performances. Very disappointed with our attack on the footy or lack of it. Too many of our so called untouchables, ( Hello Dal Santo and Koschitzke especially ) are horribly inconsistent. There just seems to be a lack of hardness at the ball and lack of self-belief. Very very disappointing. Heading for another year around the fringe of the 8 IMO.

The Jeff
Club Player

evertonfc wrote:
The_Dud wrote:please stop encouraging mediocrity
But isn't blind faith part of being a true supporter?

The rest of us are merely fake supporters, not entitled to speak the truth...even when it's obvious.
You are being extremely patronising in this instance (not unlike many others) and it is unnecessary.

FWIW, I disagree with this thread myself in that I don't take much in the way of positives out of today. However, I find your lack of tact and pompous lecturing unwarranted. Having been a frequent reader of this forum for many years, I think it is time someone pointed this out to you. As for making inferences on one's age/status based upon their approach to writing on an electronic forum, once again unnecessary!

:evil:

FQF
saintwill66
Club Player

Quote from Hughjarce

"I am perplexed that people think we have a senastional list. The only A grade player in our team is Reiwoldt. A smattering of B graders like Hayes, S Fisher, Montagna, Dal Santo, Ball then a load of C graders and a couple not up to AFL standard."

Haven't you forgotten Koschitske?? In my book he is a better player than Riewoldt.

The concern for me today was the relative ease with which the Cats kicked their goals, compared to the struggle by the Saints to find the big sticks.

The following problems were also glaringly obvious today:

* Skill levels, as noted in the "efficiency" tables remain sub-standard;
* Teamwork, as in back-up support to avoid costly turnovers, remains below required levels - Geelong gave the Saints a lesson in that aspect today.
* Saints mid-fielders still unable to kick goals.
* Gehrig/Riewoldt/Koschitske in forward 50 is an experiment that is not working
* Dempster has caught the St Kilda disease - gets the ball and takes a month to makes up his mind what to do next, which often results in a poor decision and a turnover.
* With such strong marking power in the forward line why isn't the ball delivered long and deep into the teeth of goals - a relatively simple strategy that for some reason the half-backs and midfielders fail to do.
* Lack of strong bodies - a number of times Cats players simply bumped their Saints opponents out of the contest - that also happened last week with the Dogs.

It is early days still and more than enough time for St Kilda to hit its straps, but the last 2 games must have the alarm bells ringing at Moorabbin, and you'd expect this team to come out firing for 4 quarters next week.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

saintwill66 wrote:
Haven't you forgotten Koschitske?? In my book he is a better player than Riewoldt.
based on what ?
Kosi has had that one patch in 2005 wher he was unstoppable and then inconsistancy to the max . he is litte more then a cameo player imo he pops in every now and then does something good and we all cream our self thinking hes going to bust it open and then he go's missing for the next half of the game !! at least with roo you get the same from the start to the end

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
saintwill66 wrote:
based on what ?
Kosi has had that one patch in 2005 wher he was unstoppable and then inconsistancy to the max . he is litte more then a cameo player imo he pops in every now and then does something good and we all cream our self thinking hes going to bust it open and then he go's missing for the next half of the game !! at least with roo you get the same from the start to the end

You've nailed it Trav. Koschitzke is the most over-rated player on our list. He's at least half way through his career and he's done bugger-all really. Is sadly not going to be the huge star we all hoped. Mr. Inconsistent.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

i think Kosi's been solid all year, except for 1 game against the Blues

if he averages 3 goals a game playing forward/ruck, i'll be more than happy

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote:i think Kosi's been solid all year, except for 1 game against the Blues

if he averages 3 goals a game playing forward/ruck, i'll be more than happy
Disagree Dud.
Was just ok against the Swans when he should have kicked 5 and kicked 2. Was crap against the Blues. Ordinary last week. OK today. Not solid IMO. GOP perhaps. Nowhere near the ball-tearer some on here make him out to be. He's a gunna.......... He's been gunna do something special for years now.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

so you wouldn't be happy if he averaged 3 goals a week playing forward/ruck?

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

I haven't read the whole thread so don't know what direction it's taken.

But I find it beyond bizarre we are now accepting today as a good effort.

Geelong's a gun team blah blah blah.

Any week we dont play them I agree totally.

I'm struggling to come to terms with the fact that we, as Saints supporters, thing it's a good effort that we have been beaten by Geelong by 2 goals more than they beat Melbourne AT THEIR HOME GROUND and we say it's a good effort.

Okay time for me to drop back to 2000/2001 and go along to games with a crowd of 11,000 and accept major defeats as part of being a Saints supporter.

We were beaten by 7 goals (lucky for one after the siren when the game was over) by a team that struggled at times on their home ground against the 2008 wooden spooner.

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote:so you wouldn't be happy if he averaged 3 goals a week playing forward/ruck?
I'd be ecstatic if he averaged 3 a game and rucked well.

So when am I gonna see this consistently, cos I cannot wait. :?: :!: :?: