Worth $600,000?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Magnifisaint 35
Club Player

I have to agree with spinner! i love rooey to bits! but by geez comparing him to those players especially buddy!!

franklin lines up from 55 - 60 out on the boundrary! comes in kicks it! looks like he taps it and it sails through post high! i have seen him do it at least 6 times in the past 4 games! and one of them was to win a final! i hate the way he celebrates like hes god! but compared to roos kicking ya would think he was god! milne has a more penetrating kick from 50 than roo!

One more year for the greatest player of all time! Stay on harvs please!
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

then how do you explain Buddy accuracy at only 54%?

might kick a few good ones, but misses a few easy ones

how bout Rocca? he can occasionally put 'em thru from 60m+ out, doesn't make him a good kick or good player

Roo had 1 bad year in 2005, and since then has been labelled a bad kick for goal, which is blatantly wrong

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Magnifisaint 35
Club Player

dont belive he is a poor kick! i believe he has little to no penetration in his kicks! dont know what it is! maybe his hamstrings are to tight! maybe his legs arent strong enough! i personally believe he drops the ball too highly which gives it more time to hit his boot poorly! and gives less penetration

One more year for the greatest player of all time! Stay on harvs please!
kaos theory
Club Player

I love him to death, but its devastating when your whole game plan is structured around a player that cannot kick for goal. So much hard work goes into getting him the ball, which comes undone.
I was thinking the same thing myself...

He is our only true 'elite' player, but lets the side down badly with his kicking...he is not the only one, and people should not think this is insiginifcant. As far as I know, you only win games by kicking a bigger score that the opposition.

Today we had times, e.g. 1st qtr and early in the last, when we could have put some real pressure on the cats, but our kicking cost us any chance at all.

These guys are professionals and should be able to kick goals easily from the distances they were missing today...If they are down on confidence they should be practiing a 100 kicks a day, until they get it right again.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Magnifisaint 35 wrote:I have to agree with spinner! i love rooey to bits! but by geez comparing him to those players especially buddy!!

franklin lines up from 55 - 60 out on the boundrary! comes in kicks it! looks like he taps it and it sails through post high! i have seen him do it at least 6 times in the past 4 games! and one of them was to win a final! i hate the way he celebrates like hes god! but compared to roos kicking ya would think he was god! milne has a more penetrating kick from 50 than roo!
problem is buddy then misses everything from a set shot dead infront from 20mts out .....
most ppl only remember the goals that buddy kicks not the misses leading up to it i think one day he kick something stupid like 3goals 7

the thing that kills roo is the goals he misses are genrally the ones we REALLY REALLY need him to kick

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote:what? he shanked 1 today, oh dear.... :roll:

his kicking is up to the same standard as any of Hall, Fev, Franklin, Mooney, Brown, and most other big forwards

why have a go at our best player, who was again best today?

he is well worth every penny
No way. Not a patch on Fevola, Hall, Franklin or Brown. Completely unreliable in front of goal. He and Koschitzke make a good pair. Neither of them have any fluency or reliability in their kicking for goal.
Trouble is Dud, he shanks 'em way too often. The weakest part of his game.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:
The_Dud wrote:what? he shanked 1 today, oh dear.... :roll:

his kicking is up to the same standard as any of Hall, Fev, Franklin, Mooney, Brown, and most other big forwards

why have a go at our best player, who was again best today?

he is well worth every penny
No way. Not a patch on Fevola, Hall, Franklin or Brown. Completely unreliable in front of goal. He and Koschitzke make a good pair. Neither of them have any fluency or reliability in their kicking for goal.
Trouble is Dud, he shanks 'em way too often. The weakest part of his game.
then how can you possibly explain the fact that he has a better average than Fev and Hall and much better one than Buddy...?

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

[quote="The_Dud"

Trouble is Dud, he shanks 'em way too often. The weakest part of his game.[/quote]

then how can you possibly explain the fact that he has a better average than Fev and Hall and much better one than Buddy...?[/quote]

Interesting stat that. If you'd care to post 'em it would be interesting to see.
As someone else has posted, he lacks penetration. He doesn't kick long like Fev, Brown or Buddy. Doesn't give that extra option of having a reasonable chance from 55 out. His % may be higher than the others mentioned, but IMO the other guys are more threatening around the forward 50.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

these are last years stats;

Brown - 67%
Roo - 62%
Hall - 59%
Fev - 59%
Buddy - 54%

i infact think he is a better kick from 50 than from, say 30, but i don't think he wants to have shots from there when he can pass to a player in a better possision because of his knee, it mustn't be 100% still

but i repeat, if he is such a worse kick for goal than all those players, than why are the stats like they are?

his one bad season in 2005 has tarnished his reputation for life i think

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

I think we were 33 down in the last - and Roo had the chance of making it 27 with a real Captain's goal, and a bit of momentum.

Shanked it.

So many Saints "fans" had already poured out, and I thought if he kicks this, we can still come back with the momentum we had. I think, without the benefit of the replay yet, we had kicked 1.2 prior and were having a crack.

Ouch.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote:these are last years stats;

Brown - 67%
Roo - 62%
Hall - 59%
Fev - 59%
Buddy - 54%

i infact think he is a better kick from 50 than from, say 30, but i don't think he wants to have shots from there when he can pass to a player in a better possision because of his knee, it mustn't be 100% still

but i repeat, if he is such a worse kick for goal than all those players, than why are the stats like they are?

doesn't have the penetration of the others and as Iceman says, has a habit of missing the ones we really need him to kick. Would still rate him behind Fev, Brown, Buddy and My Left Hook because of it.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

how bout the captains goal he kicked in the first to give us the lead? how bout the captains goal in the second to give us the perfect start and grab momentum?

like i said previously, Brown missed a goal from 30 out for brisbane deep in the last quarter to give them the lead against the pies, but no one jumps on him

everyone misses

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:
The_Dud wrote:these are last years stats;

Brown - 67%
Roo - 62%
Hall - 59%
Fev - 59%
Buddy - 54%

doesn't have the penetration of the others and as Iceman says, has a habit of missing the ones we really need him to kick. Would still rate him behind Fev, Brown, Buddy and My Left Hook because of it.
each to there own i suppose

but personally, i would rather him kicking at 62% from within 50 than 54% from within 55......

saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

$600,000 for riewoldt?
you have got to be joking
every time Roo gets the ball with in 20m i dont know what will happen, will it be a goal? point? out on the full? shank it 70 degrees to the right? only god can answer that, but he is not worth $600,000!

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
Buckets
SS Life Member

Biggest issue for Roo is the fact that when it comes down to the crunch and that inspiring captains goal is needed, he goes to pieces when kicking for goal as a few have already said he had the chance to breathe life into the 4th quarter and shanked it badly, captains need to kick those goals, hell forwards need to kick those goals!

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Fair dinkum Dud, put your other eye in…

Captain’s goal at the 13 minute mark of the first? To give us the lead? LOL With about 107 minutes to go – yep a Captain’s goal.

Start of the second Roo kicked his third and final goal of the night – yeah momentum momentum momentum momentum etc etc etc …….

He then kicked one more behind – the one he shanked with us having a bit of momentum.

When Roo shanked that Captain’s goal, I said to a mate “Johnno Brown would have kicked thatâ€

ace
Saintsational Legend

Needs the real plugger to teach him to kick for goal.
Plugger had a scarce supply of the ball so rarely wasted an opportunity.

Lennon
Club Player

Of all the players to single out...

I reckon we have some of the worst supporters going around.

Damn, I hope Roo comes to play at the Gold Coast in a few years. I can watch him play every week, and he sure as hell ain't appreciated down in that freezing little micro-state.

So when J. Brown misses one he should have kicked, he's human.

When Roo does, he's a pathetic waste of cash.

Not worth $600,000...? Tools. All of you.

ALL OF YOU.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

To anyone comparing Roo to all those others I tell you to have look at the ground he covers before his shot at goal. More often than not hes run a small marathon then takes a mark and has 30 secs to get his composure. Compared to the rest who ar egenerally one lead forwards. Take a look at Cloke he also suffers due to this.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
maverick
Saintsational Legend

Roo is as good a kick for goal as Brown, Hall and Pavlich.
He is better than Buddy, Cloke, O'Loughlin and Mooney.
He is not as good as Gehrig, Fevola, Lloyd and Lucas.

That is my opinion.
Stats kicking for gola are a bit misleading, unless they compare distances and angles as well.

Roo is worth double his salary, answering the question the thread asked.

Let's have a look at the goalkicking of Milne, Dal, X, Kosi, Schneider, Hayes, Ball and Fiora.

At the moment they are shocking.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Worth every cent. Is our only elite player and we would be screwed without him.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Yep he is worth every cent and more IMO...

But I feel he should not be our captain, it should have gone to Hayes

Hayes is a far better leader IMO

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
Iratedebate
Club Player

Riewoldt is definitely worth $600,000+, but people that actually think he is better at kicking for goal than Fevola, Buddy or Hall etc have got to be kidding. Percentages are definitely misleading, Fevola and Buddy take alot of shots from 55m+ therefore their percentages will always be a little lower. Riewoldt constantly falls short from 50m so therefore not included as a miss in the percentages shown here.
If the final siren sounded in the GF and you needed to bang it through from just outside 50m i think most people would prefer the ball being in Buddy or Fev's hands than Rooey

maverick
Saintsational Legend

Iratedebate wrote:Riewoldt is definitely worth $600,000+, but people that actually think he is better at kicking for goal than Fevola, Buddy or Hall etc have got to be kidding. Percentages are definitely misleading, Fevola and Buddy take alot of shots from 55m+ therefore their percentages will always be a little lower. Riewoldt constantly falls short from 50m so therefore not included as a miss in the percentages shown here.
If the final siren sounded in the GF and you needed to bang it through from just outside 50m i think most people would prefer the ball being in Buddy or Fev's hands than Rooey
Now its from 55 out, am losing track here.
From 55 I would take J Brown thanks.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Iratedebate wrote:Riewoldt is definitely worth $600,000+, but people that actually think he is better at kicking for goal than Fevola, Buddy or Hall etc have got to be kidding. Percentages are definitely misleading, Fevola and Buddy take alot of shots from 55m+ therefore their percentages will always be a little lower. Riewoldt constantly falls short from 50m so therefore not included as a miss in the percentages shown here.

Agree with this. Not doubting that Roo is an elite player or that he's a star. Am observing that his kicking lets him down when we most need it not to. And as others have also said, he's no show at all from outside 50.
And Lennon, if you don't want to have a debate and would rather just throw in generic insults p*ss off over to Big Footy where you'll find plenty of like--minded buddies.