Nick Dal Santo - 2nd Week in a row

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Well I turn those comments back on you, DUD. Hmm, suits ya that name. Nup, he was complete shite today, can look he gives a crap maybe sometimes, but ultimately ineffective, AND NO WHERE NEAR HARD ENOUGH. Should be dropped for a week so HE CAN HARDEN THE f*** UP!

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

iwantmeseats wrote:Well I turn those comments back on you, DUD. Hmm, suits ya that name. Nup, he was complete shite today, can look he gives a crap maybe sometimes, but ultimately ineffective, AND NO WHERE NEAR HARD ENOUGH. Should be dropped for a week so HE CAN HARDEN THE f*** UP!
no where near hard enough, yet had the most tackles out of the 44 players today.

hmmm, yes, okay...... :shock:

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Drop the bloke that gets the hardest tag each week.

Right.

Why don't we just hand over the 4 points and not even worrying about busting out guts each week.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

iwantmeseats wrote:big deal 7 f****** tackles, f***, that was when he just got in the way. He IS NO GOOD at the moment. Dont know what f****** game your watching !!
Please, you are embarrassing yourself.

Ling destroys most that he plays on.

What do you expect from a bloke who has a bloke following him entirely, with his only aim to nullify his opponent. Not even the best are that good sometimes.
Last edited by Spinner on Sat 12 Apr 2008 10:44pm, edited 1 time in total.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

thank you Spinner

how this guy has managed 883 posts is beyond me......

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Say what you want! I still say NOT hard ennough, nees to win more contested ball. I dont care for players that run up and down the wings looking pretty, not good enough.

7 tackles? He could have had 14 if he actually threw a 180 and went inside for a change.l

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

iwantmeseats wrote:Say what you want! I still say NOT hard ennough, nees to win more contested ball. I dont care for players that run up and down the wings looking pretty, not good enough.

7 tackles? He could have had 14 if he actually threw a 180 and went inside for a change.l
dude he is a gun he is down on form, get over it.

half that team needs changing it was mostly the umpiring today,

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Dal only had two clearances, the same as last week, but it was a much better outing. He was putting himself in harm's way constantly, and Ling wasn't roaming free the way Hill was last week. Ling's made a habit of shutting down star players while winning his own footy. He got an AA selection for his trouble last year. Anybody who thinks we'd be better off with Dal out of the middle and Ling going to Joey or Hayes is out of their mind.

He had a good game. Not a great one, but a good one. Fact is, against a great team, we needed more great efforts, so I can understand the frustration. But singling out Dal has become the easy option for rabid supporters on this board. Without fail, unless he dominates, we get people here calling him lazy and unaccountable without citing examples. Dal worked hard today, and Ling had to win his own ball for possessions. Anyone saying Dal was Lazy or unaccoutable is, IMO, completely wrong.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
ratismeat
Club Player

Ling wouldn't have been put on Dal, and stayed there, unless he was
considered our most dangerous midfielder.

Ling wouldn't have been put on Dal, and stayed there, unless he was considered our most dangerous midfielder.

Say it twice for effect.
:roll:

Harvey To Hayes
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:I agree.

Perhaps he needs to be dropped for a week to get his head right.

If he is fit, he's playing at best only at 25% of his ability.

Simply nowhere near good enough.

But typical of Lyon, he'll make only 2 changes for Essendon - Schneider and Gardy in for X and Harvs (both injured/half stuffed!)
Come on mate, be serious. Or FAIR DINKUM as a moron might say.

3rd in 2005 Brownlow with 18 votes. 16 Brownlow votes last year. You don't drop players of that caliber even if they're not performing up to expectations, even at current level he still walks into any sides best 22 and will undoubtedly find form soon. Think about the bigger picture....

The future's so bright I've got to wear shades...
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

iwantmeseats wrote:Say what you want! I still say NOT hard ennough, nees to win more contested ball. I dont care for players that run up and down the wings looking pretty, not good enough.

you have as warped sense of football my friend.....

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

I watched Dal very closely today, and frankly I was disgusted with his laziness around the ground. He does not break past a jog unless the ball is within 10m of him and makes no effort to stop his opponent. When he did get near the footy today he played for free kicks if he felt any contact.

I am a fan of Dal, but his performance today was absolutely horrible. Just because he is tagged doesn't mean he is restricted to slowly jogging up and down the wings all day. If Lyon is fair dinkum about improving the team's work rate Dal has to be dropped.

He's an awsome player when going at full flight, but he needs a massive kick up the arse.

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

At last someone that sees it how it really is, instead of just going on blind faith. Well done Mad Saints guy!!

Pwoit
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:I watched Dal very closely today, and frankly I was disgusted with his laziness around the ground. He does not break past a jog unless the ball is within 10m of him and makes no effort to stop his opponent. When he did get near the footy today he played for free kicks if he felt any contact.

I am a fan of Dal, but his performance today was absolutely horrible. Just because he is tagged doesn't mean he is restricted to slowly jogging up and down the wings all day. If Lyon is fair dinkum about improving the team's work rate Dal has to be dropped.

He's an awsome player when going at full flight, but he needs a massive kick up the arse.
As I started this post I knew we'd get some differing opinions but it’s nice to see someone else watch what Dal was doing.
I don’t dislike Dal he’s a great player but he has to do more as MSG has stated above.
I wouldn’t drop him. We should be good enough to beat the Thugs next week as they will be thin on talent. It will give Dal a chance to redeem himself.
Last edited by Pwoit on Sat 12 Apr 2008 11:55pm, edited 1 time in total.

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

I like him as well, but IMO he is right on the edge of getting dropped, cause nothing seems to work. Maybe he just dosent want it enough. He probably wont get dropped though, and he knows that, and that may well be half the problem.

Bottom line is , NOT good enougfh so far, by a long shot.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

I know theres steam to be blown off after today...but..a few less asterisks eh guys??? :-)

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Dal_Santos_Gal
Saintsational Legend

Gees I honestly thought there was more than 1 player that played for St Kilda.
Dal worked alot harder today, did you even notice the first two bounces of the game. In and Under and got out a beautiful handball.
Yes I am only pointing out one piece of play, but there were more.

It was a big improvement from last week and hopefully will continue to improve over the next couple of weeks.
Dal is out of form and some of you lot want blood.

Honestly wake up and smell the coffee, its not like Dal is the only player at the moment that is not having a massive impact on the game.
How quickly people forget the good things he has done since he joined the club.
Gees hang the guy out to dry for a few bad weeks when we know he is not playing his best footy at the moment, but to carry on and SWEAR mr "iwantmyseats" is not the way to go about it.

Disgraceful.

In Ross Get lost!

I am excited to stay at St Kilda and this is a great result for the Club and all our fans. I’m proud to be part of the Saints and am pleased to be playing football with the Clubâ€
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

also, him taking the best tagger in the league alowed players such as Lenny, Ball and Joey to all get 25 plus possessions

they put Ling on him because they know how much of a threat Dal is

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

mad saint guy wrote:I watched Dal very closely today, and frankly I was disgusted with his laziness around the ground. He does not break past a jog unless the ball is within 10m of him and makes no effort to stop his opponent. When he did get near the footy today he played for free kicks if he felt any contact.

You are absolutely spot on Mad Saint Guy, I also watched him very closely today and he was terrible. In fact he has been every week this season IMO. He is lazy and does not go for the hard ball. What really disappointed me was when he got a smack in the mouth today he just let it slip by as though nothing had happened. He needs to toughen up and get his hands dirty, capable of much better.

Qld Saints Supporter Group
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote:also, him taking the best tagger in the league alowed players such as Lenny, Ball and Joey to all get 25 plus possessions

Were you at the game today? Ling didn't need to do anything to stop him! Dal just strolled around the ground with Ling usually 10-20m in front of him. If Ling was sticking right next to Dal all day, scragging and holding on to him then his crap game could be excused, but having Ling on him made no real difference, since he just wasn't prepared to run for the ball.

SuperSaint
Club Player

I also am surprised at his efforts over the full course of a game. My point in an earlier post of his limited progression as a player since 2004 is unwavered. Even GT last year regularly made an issue about his inability to shake off a tag and that he needed to do this to take the next step. Why can Harney, Judd, Ablett, Bartel etc regularly do it and not Dal Santo? He is at best a good to very good player.......he is far from elite.

I watched Black & Power from the Lions tonight play inspiring midfield roles to challenge Port. Dal is well behind these guys as a potent midfielder because his workrate does not compare. Their second efforts are like his first efforts when he is actually making a contest.

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:
The_Dud wrote:also, him taking the best tagger in the league alowed players such as Lenny, Ball and Joey to all get 25 plus possessions

Were you at the game today? Ling didn't need to do anything to stop him! Dal just strolled around the ground with Ling usually 10-20m in front of him. If Ling was sticking right next to Dal all day, scragging and holding on to him then his crap game could be excused, but having Ling on him made no real difference, since he just wasn't prepared to run for the ball.

I was at the game today and for quite a while I thought Dal was supposed to be tagging Ling.

A good tagger stops his gun player to 10-20 possessions and gets a dozen himself, usually scrappy possessions as a result of tackling your taggee and picking up the ball at ground level.

Ling led Dal to contests, picked up (the scoreboard had late in the last) 28 possies and almost all of them were damaging.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

i can't understand some of what i'm reading

Dal has never been a huge ball winner, and he had 18 possesions (i can't wait to see the breakdown of these regarding clearences and contested possessions) and 7 tackles against the best tagger in the league, and people are saying he should be dropped?!!?

why don't we wait and see how he goes next week, without the number 1 tagger in the league on him

again, please, someone show me the last player to beat Ling

SuperSaint
Club Player

mad saint guy wrote:

True. That's exactly how it was. Sometimes we need to be brutally honest and see things for the way they are. There are several midfielders in the comp that are more damaging than him. He is the epitomy of an outside player. He tried to be more accountable today and at times he looked all at sea because the reality is it is not in his make-up. I'm not calling for him to be dropped but he needs to re-invent himself fast.
Last edited by SuperSaint on Sun 13 Apr 2008 12:32am, edited 1 time in total.

Dal_Santos_Gal
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote:i can't understand some of what i'm reading

Dal has never been a huge ball winner, and he had 18 possesions (i can't wait to see the breakdown of these regarding clearences and contested possessions) and 7 tackles against the best tagger in the league, and people are saying he should be dropped?!!?

why don't we wait and see how he goes next week, without the number 1 tagger in the league on him

again, please, someone show me the last player to beat Ling
I am with you 110% on this, Ling was one of Geelongs best last year. Its rather ironic I think because it was only the year before 2006 the geelong supporters were calling for his blood. Saying he was too slow and the game had gone past him. Its amazing if you keep with it things can change.

In Ross Get lost!

I am excited to stay at St Kilda and this is a great result for the Club and all our fans. I’m proud to be part of the Saints and am pleased to be playing football with the Clubâ€