A Long Way To Go, and We'll Get There

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

A Long Way To Go, and We'll Get There

Despite the fact everybody seems to be declaring season 2008 over already, I don't see it to be all doom and gloom. Far from it actually.

Ok, we've lost the last two games by an average of 40 points, one of which we were never expected to win, both against sides that not only remain undefeated, but also were both coming off wins against easily the worst team in the competition.

On Saturday, we were competitive for all but a 12 minute patch in the third quarter, in which Geelong kicked 6 unanswered goals. The final margin being 7 goals. For at least two thirds of the game we matched it with the competition benchmark. Now don't forget that they were 20 goals better than the rest of the comp last year. So it's hardly a time to start worrying about where season 2008 is going.

The Positives :

- Our clearances were well up on the previous week.
- We had 34 shots for goal (29 scoring shots and 5 complete misses), that's most scoring shots against Geelong by anyone since round 13 2006.
- Our inside 50's were up.
- Brendon Goddard continued his great return from injury.
- Goose Maguire was finally back from injury as well.
- Sean Dempster made a solid debut, meaning all four PSD recruits have made an impact.

The Negatives :

- Selection. We are now blessed with something we've not had in several years, depth. Therefore, the gap fillers of previous years (Fiora, Blake, R.Clarke, Rix, Gwilt, L.Fisher) must work harder to get in or stay in the side. The three from that group that played on Saturday were all below average at best and for the second week in a row. This cannot be tolerated for much longer. We have plenty of talent to bring in.

- Tackling. In the NAB cup our tackling was first class. All over the ground. Our ability to keep the ball inside the forward 50 through pressure and tackling was excellent. Now, only 2 players average over 3.5 tackles a match (Hayes and Ball). More disturbing is that our forwards have almost given up on it! (Kosi 2.5 per game, Milne 2.0, Schneider 2.0, Riewoldt 0.5, Gehrig 0.0) On top of that, our technique is very poor, we tackle but leave the arms free giving the player an opportunity to handball.

- Setup. Although I tend to agree with the age old theory of 'you have your best players forward because they'll kick you a higher score and the highest score wins', I don't think that works with our game plan. Riewoldt is not a forward. Yes he is a strong mark, yes he is great on the lead, but he is a running athlete with a massive engine. Open him up. No other team has two running wingmen/utilities who could go with both Riewoldt and Goddard. That then opens up the forward line for Gehrig, Kosi and possibly C.Gardiner or a resting ruckman. And if pace is hurting us, run Milne or Schneider through the middle. (Not that I think pace is our problem, we aren't physically slow, we just move the ball slow)

The upside of those three negatives is that they are easy fix and we have 18 weeks to do it. Selection issues can be ironed out in the space of a week, so to setup, although it may take some time to settle into. As for the tackling, as I said, we did it in the NAB cup so we know it can be done.

If we play the same brand of footy we played on Saturday against Essendon this week, we will destroy them. Some players seemed to lack confidence over the past 3-4 weeks, however a good win on the weekend will change all that.

And remember, Geelong were 1-3 at this stage last year, there's a long way to go and there's no glory in peaking in April.

PS - I don't think many on this forum would be responsible for this but, don't leave the game early, it looked terrible on Saturday with empty seats everywhere in the members and cheer squad area.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Quality post :-)

Just on the leaving early thing (which I didnt :-))..there are some people who have genuine reasons. The fella in front of me had broken away from his wife's birthday party to turn up at all..he left with 5 mins to go and imho is totally excused. Some people have small kids and dont want to get stuck in that footbridge crush. Again, can understand that

What realllly gets up my nose though are those who get on their high horse and declare "oh this is rubbish the players arent trying why should I stay and watch this??" as they ride out of the ground on their high horse.

Those kind of fans need to wear that Carlton wristband imho..soft as butter :roll:

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
plumtire
Club Player

A long way to goand well get there

Got to admire an optimist and more power to you but I prefer to be HONEST and the facts are that we have become a soft team. And even worse are now SEEN to be soft. Lets not kid ourselves that losing to the cats by "only" seven goals is some sort of moral win and that all is well.
Geelong weathered our "intensity" in the first quarter and then simply brushed us aside easy as.
Armitage is IN Rix is IN Dal Santo for Casey this week Ferguson IN Birrs is IN this team needs some HUNGER and mongrel about it or we are heading toward another wooden spoon in 3/4 years (Cant happen? it DID!!!!) :x

bozza1980
Club Player

I'm with you Beno.

Although taken as a single result, Saturday's match is an unacceptable one, I still feel that this team still can improve enough to stop this unstoppable Cats lineup.

Plumtire, you are right we cannot view the match as a moral win, that sort of thinking will get us nowhere fast. However, throwing the baby out with the bathwater will get us there faster.

By all means we need to focus on the negative aspects however there is still more hope than mearly the fact that we don't play the cats again till the finals.

GrumpyOne

saint66au wrote: What realllly gets up my nose though are those who get on their high horse and declare "oh this is rubbish the players arent trying why should I stay and watch this??" as they ride out of the ground on their high horse.

Those kind of fans need to wear that Carlton wristband imho..soft as butter :roll:
Completely agree 66.

Some of the so-called Saints supporters near us should give their membership card up to people who really want to come and support our team.

Fair Dinkum, the ritualistic bagging of certain players is beyond a joke. They all wear the red white and black and deserve our support whilst they continue to do so.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

GrumpyOne wrote:
saint66au wrote: What realllly gets up my nose though are those who get on their high horse and declare "oh this is rubbish the players arent trying why should I stay and watch this??" as they ride out of the ground on their high horse.

Completely agree 66.

Some of the so-called Saints supporters near us should give their membership card up to people who really want to come and support our team.

Fair Dinkum, the ritualistic bagging of certain players is beyond a joke. They all wear the red white and black and deserve our support whilst they continue to do so.
had a couple of middle aged women behind me in the social club area who could not say a nice thing the whole game. In the third quarter they were into their diatribe about blake, or dal or bal or kosi ..... I turned around and asked why do they come? They suggested that because they had been supporting the club for 20 years I should shut up and let them say whatever they want.

Getting to the stage where I would rather sit with the opposition, at least they get behind their team

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
plumtire
Club Player

A long way to goand well get there

:evil: We need more than "hope" if the team is to get anywhere.
And another thing, all this "win one for Harves" crap is just a millstone around the neck. Let the guy play out his final year he will be like Buckley a champion who never got a flag that should not be a reason to criticise him. let the guy end his days without all this hype! cause without GENUINE EFFORT thats all it is hype and spin and will only make the seasons end more disappointing for the guy!