Gardiner out again

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

vantheman
Club Player

Gardiner out again

Gardiner out again

Carley Jellett | April 14, 2008

St Kilda ruckman Michael Gardiner will miss another match due to a calf injury and the Saints could also be without veteran Robert Harvey and pacy midfielder Adam Schneider when they take on Essendon at Telstra Dome on Friday night.

Gardiner has missed the Saints' past two matches and St Kilda football manager Matthew Drain said he needed another week's recovery.

Harvey sustained a corked thigh in a collision with teammate Justin Koschitzke and he is in some doubt. The 36-year-old returned to the field on Saturday against Geelong, but the club said he was restricted by the injury in the second half.

Schneider is a chance to play against the Bombers, but Drain said the club will not take any risks with the former Swan.

Essendon will be without midfielders Mark McVeigh and Sam Lonergan for about three weeks with hamstring injuries.

Saintschampions08
Club Player

Re: Gardiner out again

vantheman wrote:Gardiner out again

Carley Jellett | April 14, 2008

St Kilda ruckman Michael Gardiner will miss another match due to a calf injury and the Saints could also be without veteran Robert Harvey and pacy midfielder Adam Schneider when they take on Essendon at Telstra Dome on Friday night.

Gardiner has missed the Saints' past two matches and St Kilda football manager Matthew Drain said he needed another week's recovery.

Harvey sustained a corked thigh in a collision with teammate Justin Koschitzke and he is in some doubt. The 36-year-old returned to the field on Saturday against Geelong, but the club said he was restricted by the injury in the second half.

Schneider is a chance to play against the Bombers, but Drain said the club will not take any risks with the former Swan.

Essendon will be without midfielders Mark McVeigh and Sam Lonergan for about three weeks with hamstring injuries.
So its not just a strained calf... :roll:

Thanks ross.

Is this going to be like '07? Where they said he would be fit round 1, then he missed the year.

james rose
Club Player

calm down he has showed some form... they are being so cautious because he has missed so much football...

what will be interesting is if they bring him back through a half at the scorps first... personally I would..

the guy makes a big difference so i'm glad they resist risk taking behavior

bozza1980
Club Player

I do agree with other posters that I don't want him rushed back early, however I do wish for a speedy return.

Micky G was good for us in the opening 2 rounds this year, we need more games from the big fella.

savatage
SS Life Member

Calf injuries are a bitch to get right, 3 weeks sounds about right to me.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Then why did the club even mention he could have been a chance last week. I must say I am getting sick of late changes when the club know the player is out and sick of the lieing about injuries. It is not as if it is helping us to win.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Then why did the club even mention he could have been a chance last week. I must say I am getting sick of late changes when the club know the player is out and sick of the lieing about injuries. It is not as if it is helping us to win.
We arent the only Club to do it *cough*JoelBowden*cough*..its the scourge of Supercoach sides (well mine anyway!!) lol

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

savatage wrote:Calf injuries are a bitch to get right, 3 weeks sounds about right to me.
Indeed.

Look I know many on this site are totting out the "Hammil 2 weeks" joke and yes we as supporters love to know exactly what is going on...but it is pretty evident that the RL package includes that he is not going to disclose to anyone accurate injury information on our players unless it is already in the public domain.

He obviously fees it is some type of advantage.....my personal view is that probably it is not. However equally it is 100% fact that keeping the information secret will not have any negative impacts on our team....just on us fans who naturally want to know everything.

But it is obviously part of what RL does and wil continue to do.

ie

Gardiner's injury was known early to thos at the club, but was a late withdrawal,

Schneider...ditto..

X in the past with his "virus"

This has been the pattern with RL.

So just accept it as the way it is....and who knows maybe sometimes it may give us a 0.000001% advantage.

PS I would also love to see detailed information on all manner of things that the Saints Coaching and Recruiting Teams prepare...but I am not going to see that either.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Mon 14 Apr 2008 11:21am, edited 3 times in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
GrumpyOne

plugger66 wrote:Then why did the club even mention he could have been a chance last week. I must say I am getting sick of late changes when the club know the player is out and sick of the lieing about injuries. It is not as if it is helping us to win.
Its all about keeping the opposition guessing mate.

In modern football you don't give any info away, and RL is not going to reveal all on this forum as more than Saints supporters read it.

plumtire
Club Player

Gardiner out again

:x Get him back to WA!!!! :evil: waste of money and time bring back Rix at least he can stay fit :x

matrix
Saintsational Legend

i can see Gards being a waste of time if this keeps going on.......
king and kozi wouldve held it up in the ruck.

The Peanut
Club Player

On 3AW pre-game Ross Lyon asked where the Gardiner info that stated came from and he was told on the Saints official site - RL laughed - there is some sort of a communication problem between the footy department and the official site in my view. It has had Gwilty on there for two weeks and he has been playing for scorps.

A couple of years ago you could bank on the injury reports that were updated every Monday or Tuesday.

plumtire
Club Player

Gardiner out again

:evil: Another Monkhorst? :roll:

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

plumtire wrote::x Get him back to WA!!!! :evil: waste of money and time bring back Rix at least he can stay fit :x

??????

Gardi has shown that when he plays....that he makesa positive impact on our ability to win.

Rix tries hard....but is a losing propostion.

Gardi may have the occassional injury now (as may King)...but at least between him and King I would be hopeful that most weeks that we havea competent No 1 ruckman playing.

Anyt week we actually get the two on the park then we will havea ruck combo which will more than likely give us a great edge in the ruck department.

riccardo
Saintsational Legend

I hate to say I told you so.....................................

St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

plumtire wrote::x Get him back to WA!!!! :evil: waste of money and time bring back Rix at least he can stay fit :x
But he can't play football to AFL standard. So being fit doesn't seem to help him very much. Rix should only get a game when all other ruck avenues are exhausted. I don't doubt his effort; he tries very hard. But he's just not good enough, sadly.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

GrumpyOne wrote:
Its all about keeping the opposition guessing mate.

In modern football you don't give any info away, and RL is not going to reveal all on this forum as more than Saints supporters read it.
That may be true about keeping the opposition guessing but my guess is that the club you are playing know exactly who is and isnt playing so the only people who dont know are the saints supportors.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

What the hell is everyone on? We have made it clear that if players are not close to 100%, especially if they have a history, they will not be risked.

Anyone got a medical report on Gardiner? Read what drain says, if they are 50/50 they wont be risked.... not sure why everyone expects life to be so black and white.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:What the hell is everyone on? We have made it clear that if players are not close to 100%, especially if they have a history, they will not be risked.

Anyone got a medical report on Gardiner? Read what drain says, if they are 50/50 they wont be risked.... not sure why everyone expects life to be so black and white.
He was 50/50 last week and a week later he is not playing. I think that is what upsets people.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

riccardo wrote:I hate to say I told you so.....................................

If you actually state what you told us so about.....forumites can offer a constructive comment back.

Otherwise it is pretty pointless post.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Solar wrote:What the hell is everyone on? We have made it clear that if players are not close to 100%, especially if they have a history, they will not be risked.

He was 50/50 last week and a week later he is not playing. I think that is what upsets people.
Ok from now on they should just say "no comment". Sometimes injuries, especially calves to taller players, can take longer to come back from. Look at hammys, it can be 1-2 weeks or out to 4-5 if you have a history.

It's not an exact science. Maybe he was 50/50 one week, 60/40 the next and thus healing very slowly. They are not robots, neither are the doctors.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
Gardi may have the occassional injury now (.
Jaysus sRs, now you're gilding the lily. The occasional injury. The occasional game would be more like it.
Am sharpening up my MG bagging axe again. No point having him on the list if he can't get and stay fit. I know he's missed a lot of footy and this may be just a speed bump along the way but it's a very disappointing stumble in what was looking like something positive for us.

Buckets
SS Life Member

He was never in to begin with!!!!!! Was not selected for the Geelong game and when it was learnt that it was a calf strain would have thought 3 weeks a minimum for someone just getting back to somewhere near match fitness! God he has 2 good games and then gets injured and people want to feed him to the wolves because they all know better than the simpletons.
If you want to have a go at players maybe you should focus your attention on those who have played the last two weeks and are NOT INJURED!!!!!!!! :roll: :roll: :roll:

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
Sobraz
SS Life Member

Give the guy a break... no footy for 2 years, including serious surgury, then plays 5/6 games in a row including NAB cup etc, misses 2 or 3, and now he's a right-off...

Give me a break..

Gards was fantastic in the first 2 rounds this year, and is far and away our best ruckman.. He has a lot of upside in him also, so its best that he is cherry ripe before back on the park...

There are 18 games to go... 18..

I'd prefer he string together a run of 12 in the back half of the year than play him half fit now.. Lets look at the bigger picture here... 3/4 weeks now is better than 1 or 2 weeks later...

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Buckets wrote:He was never in to begin with!!!!!!
But according to Plugger's post he was 50/50 the previous week so therfore he should have been an automatic naming in the side to play Geelong.

We as fans are being treated like Shiit by the match commitee.
We have reasonable expectations of knowing all the correct information all of the time. It is immaterial what the opposition may or may not know about our team make-up, structure or contingency plans. As long as we the fans know, that is all that matters.