Can we win the Flag?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Shaggy
Club Player

Behind Play wrote:
StSteven wrote:There is NO comparison between the Cats and us........just take a look, they are years ahead and have new kids coming in and performing better than us.

We need a rebuild.....dare I say it but many are!
Totally agree, we really need to trade players that have not come on -
1. Starting in the mid-field.we need players that are quick and can kick goals.
2. Favorite sons have come to the end.....I don't mean, Robert he does have this season left, if managed correctly.
3. Start playing kids for the long term.
4. We need a couple of hard nuts.
Nonsense.

The majority of our team represents the majority of our finals teams between 2004-2006. Except they are no longer kids but players who should be at their peak.

We should now be on track for a premiership with the list maturity but instead have gone backwards.

We need a game plan which suits and rebuild the confidence which has been lost.

Armo coming through would be a bonus but is not the difference. Its between the mature playing group and the coach and currently it is not working.

RL is trying to make our footballers into elite long distance runners which they are not. Either he changes the list or changes his views.

rama35
Club Player

Re: Can we win the Flag?

saintgus wrote:Do you think we can win the Flag this year. Personally, I think we can. I have criticised us heavily after our recent performances like everyone but i think we can still win the Premiership. Our list and form at full strength is simply too godd.
Thoughts?
The cats by a long way!!! for me
Rama35

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Shaggy wrote:Nonsense. The majority of our team represents the majority of our finals teams between 2004-2006. Except they are no longer kids but players who should be at their peak.
precisely. in fact they are better placed than they ever were between 2004-2006. they have experience and no major injury worries (touch wood).

they were boys in 2004-2006. now they are men and i believe it's just a matter of it all clicking at the right time

if it does then look out.

Behind Play
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:
Shaggy wrote:Nonsense. The majority of our team represents the majority of our finals teams between 2004-2006. Except they are no longer kids but players who should be at their peak.
precisely. in fact they are better placed than they ever were between 2004-2006. they have experience and no major injury worries (touch wood).

they were boys in 2004-2006. now they are men and i believe it's just a matter of it all clicking at the right time

if it does then look out.
You two keep thinking that.
Christ sake, call a spade a spade. Clark x 2, Fras., Ball, Jones, Blake Milne are not going to win us a flag.

I truley hope I am wrong........I don't think I am.

4ever_saint
Club Player

i think its important that people stop panicing about this. in 2005, by round 12, we were 6 wins, 6 losses. and yet, we ended up in the top 4. anything is possible. luckily our team isnt falling apart throughout the end of the year, there are 18 rounds for ross lyon to fix this, and they are fixable .problems. i mean, yes there are worrying signs, but we arent a bad side. we will most likely make the 8 this year as there are quite a few teams worse off than us, injury-wise and form-wise, atm (imagine being sydney without barry hall for 7 weeks).

we have a lot of potential so just stay positive and hopefully they dont let us down. again

spert
Saintsational Legend

My Geelong mates were writing the Cats off this time last year, now all the players they were bagging, and the coach they wanted sacked, can do no wrong. Costa pretty much gave Bomber and many players the ultimatum about their immediate future and put Balme beside Bomber in the coaches box to make sure things were done in the coaching box as the hierachy of the club wanted. It seemed to work.
I'm still waiting to see some kind of leadership and public face from Westaway who seems to have become far too transparent for my liking.

Having said that, don't write us off at all.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

If things improve we can finish 4th IMO, but the Dawks and Cats are a few classes above us at the moment.

Remeber we have a lot of interstate games in our last half of the season.......6 in fact in 17 rounds, and we know how badly we often play away from Victoria!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
plumtire
Club Player

can we win the flag?

:evil: NO! :!: :twisted:

Red
Club Player

We can if we finish top 2, but too do that we can only drop 2 or 3 more

games. I believe that is highly unlikely.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

I do not believe that we have the top group of players in the AFL, but we have a group that could win a GF against anybody on their day if we fire like we should.

At the moment, we are like a car that can do 200 ks at cruising speed down a highway that is hampered by a dodgy starter motor.

People can whinge about recruiting, players with whom we are "never going to win a premiership" and all that defeatist nonsense all they like.

I personally refuse to believe that the group of players who have played in the past few weeks couldn't collectively perform 50-100% better than they have done. And it probably would have only taken a 25% better performance to have beaten the Cats last weekend.

Can our current coaching staff get the starter motor working again? There's the big question for me.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
bozza1980
Club Player

I find it hard to believe anyone can beat Geelong.

However at this stage in 2001 I thought Essendon were a sure thing to repeat their 2000 premiership win.

We have had a tendancy to start slowly and build over recent seasons (2004 being an exception).

So if we can time the run right and make the top 4, we will give it a shake, we are too good not too.

NeXuss
Club Player

Unless you can win the flag from 10th then no. The sooner we realize that we are a spent force the sooner we can start re-building. The longer we delude ourselves and think we can win the flag, the worse off we will be.

SainterX
Club Player

We have the players to beat anyone. Our 1st quarter and first few minutes of the 2nd against the Cats proved that. Our players are not that fast granted, so optimise the gameplan to their style. Don't have em running up and down the ground forcing the flood the whole game, make them play accountable man on man football and do their own thing. No wonder we are so bloody tired after quarter time when Lyon has even our forwards running up and down the ground from post to post just to satisfy his stupid Sydney style.

A true king doesn't glass his girlfriend.
A true king doesn't smear his blood on an opponent when he cannot break a tag.
A true king does not label umpires disgraceful.
A true king is Robert Harvey.
NeXuss
Club Player

SainterX wrote:We have the players to beat anyone. Our 1st quarter and first few minutes of the 2nd against the Cats proved that. Our players are not that fast granted, so optimise the gameplan to their style. Don't have em running up and down the ground forcing the flood the whole game, make them play accountable man on man football and do their own thing. No wonder we are so bloody tired after quarter time when Lyon has even our forwards running up and down the ground from post to post just to satisfy his stupid Sydney style..
Your the man SainterX. You hit the nail on the head. Lyon came in with his own gameplan instead of adopting a gameplan that best suited us. If we were a bottom side when he came in then fair enough, bring in your own gameplan. We were a top side so all he should have done was tweak the gameplan here and there.

I still don't blame Lyon for our decline though, I blame BUTTHEAD
Last edited by NeXuss on Wed 16 Apr 2008 12:44pm, edited 2 times in total.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

NeXuss wrote:
I still don't blame Lyon for our decline though, I blame BUTTHEAD.
Nexus, do us a favour and keep your bold yellow font to yourself. Noticed it in another thread where you posted too.
We can read it without you having to ram it down our throats.
And nice of you to try and drag this thread into another slanging match about your pet hobby horse.

No we wont win the flag this year. Not if our performances to date are a true marker for where we're at. Will be around the fringes of the 8.

NeXuss
Club Player

st.byron wrote:

Nexus, do us a favour and keep your bold yellow font to yourself. Noticed it in another thread where you posted too.
We can read it without you having to ram it down our throats.
It's gone.
I used the orange font to emphasise how much I hate BUTTHEAD for what he has done to my club. It was not intended to ram it down anyone's throat.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

in response to the OP

we've shown we have the talent, what we lack is discipline and endurance.

13 scoring shots to virtually nothing before we took our foot of geelongs throats

1/4 of pumping footscray before we slumbered.

we lack discipline, team work, perhaps endurance, confidence and flexibility.

basically we have the building blocks to win, we just lack the builder at this stage.

our A team is superb, I honestly believe we have a fundamental basis of talent the match of anyother team.

3 years ago folks were lamenting the depth, strength, power of the WCE and how we were in for an era of WCE dominance. I at the time argued that kerr, cousins and judd brought the lesser lights into the game.

WCE are still strong but take away their stars and they are a good ordinary side.

st kilda has far more depth in quality than WCE, what we lack is getting it together.

I'd be suprised if any other team has had 13 scoring schots in a quarter against geelong recently, even after capitulating we had only 2 less scoring shots than them, and they overhauled us significantly in the dead time in the 4th quarter.

our problems are between the ears, not talent.

it is not a lost cause IMO, this team has the talent, its getting it together.

with the exception of Max, harvey and FG, every other player is just about in their prime.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
NoMore
Club Player

If everyone was honest here they would agree that we are no chance to win a flag playing the sort of garbage game plan that Ross is now.

I have followed St Kilda since i was born and i can't remember ever being so bored at the footy as i am now. Even when we got flogged we had good players worth watching. Now our good players are not allowed to play on instinct and it is boring. Maybe we should be called the St Kilda Robots

NeXuss
Club Player

NoMore wrote:If everyone was honest here they would agree that we are no chance to win a flag playing the sort of garbage game plan that Ross is now.

I have followed St Kilda since i was born and i can't remember ever being so bored at the footy as i am now. Even when we got flogged we had good players worth watching. Now our good players are not allowed to play on instinct and it is boring. Maybe we should be called the St Kilda Robots
Agreed. Like I said, Lyon came in with a pre-determined gameplan instead of using one that best suited our strengths. From one of the highest scoring teams in the comp to the lowest in 12 months. I think that speaks for itself.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

yes we 'could'....but we wont, not under this coach.
sorry to say it, & i hope im wrong.

StSteven
Club Player

We are a bit stiff insofar as the Cats are one of the best teams going around, I would say they are THE BEST, I have seen.

However we no longer have the talent to match it with the modern game. it is all very well to say minimize the running but one of the ways Scarlet beats Frase easily is he runs off him and sets up forwards. Last week some were saying Fraser should take Scarlet up the ground, waste of time Scarlet was going there anyway, it is where he is most dangerous.

No we need new blood, we are not that good, that time has passed.

PS Don't forget who appointed RL also!

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

We still have a good list...but it is not firing on all cylinders at present.

If the players can lift their workrate and confidence (and the coach needs to inspire that) then we are still a chance.

The Cats are by contrast humming along like a sweetly tuned V8. They are playing wel, but are by no means unbeateable. remember the Pies almost were the ones in the GF last year.

Our list no longer has the dantage it did...so we now have a list still capable of winning the flag but only if we have absolutely no passengers.

We need a kid or two to emerge....and many of the players who have been there a while 9ie X, etc) to improve and not stagnate.

We also probably need a Gardi to play more games than he doesn't and in particular to peak in the finals...and for Ball to get some more kicking power back in the second half of the year and for BJ and goose to both hit ther straps post injury as well.

So there are a lot of ifs....but we can still do it .....but not with one quarter efforts.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

Far too early to say if we can win it. As the long and grueling season continues the quicker/smaller sides will drop by 10% and our big boys will get 10% better ala previous years. However every win early on is imperitive to keep us in striking distance.

Goose will get better and better and we can do it.

NeXuss
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:We still have a good list...but it is not firing on all cylinders at present.

If the players can lift their workrate and confidence (and the coach needs to inspire that) then we are still a chance.

The Cats are by contrast humming along like a sweetly tuned V8. They are playing wel, but are by no means unbeateable. remember the Pies almost were the ones in the GF last year.

Our list no longer has the dantage it did...so we now have a list still capable of winning the flag but only if we have absolutely no passengers.

We need a kid or two to emerge....and many of the players who have been there a while 9ie X, etc) to improve and not stagnate.

We also probably need a Gardi to play more games than he doesn't and in particular to peak in the finals...and for Ball to get some more kicking power back in the second half of the year and for BJ and goose to both hit ther straps post injury as well.

So there are a lot of ifs....but we can still do it .....but not with one quarter efforts.
No offense saintsRrising, and I mean that sincerely, I really do, you are completely deluding yourself. We are not even going to make the top 8. I know I'm going to be shouted down and all that but this is exactly why our club hasn't won a premiership in over 40 years. People always over rate our team. The media do it and so do most of our supporters. If we keep thinking this way and top up again at the end of this season like we did last season, we are doomed.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

NeXuss wrote:
No offense saintsRrising, and I mean that sincerely, I really do, you are completely deluding yourself. We are not even going to make the top 8. .
Well no offence but who says that your delusion is any more realistic than mine???

I am happy to stand by my assessment that we have a good but not great list...a list that needs to worka lot harder if it wants to wim more games.

Our list has flaws, which I have posted on elsewhere, but it has strengths too.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....