Mc Evoy

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

rexy
SS Life Member

Mc Evoy

Thought the one real ruckman thing worked out ok for us last night, but Hille was a big part of there resurgance in the third. The introduction of Armo was a huge success, maybe its time to bring the big Mac in instead of Blake and use him a little in the ruck and a little up forward coming off the bench, get him some games and stretc the opposition with a fresh tall rather than the same old faces. He might have the same kind of youthful exuberance that Armo showed last night to be so important.

Maybe this year?
Baldock Rules
Club Player

Agree Rex.Lets see what the boy can do against Lade and Brogan.

He would at worst learn a great deal about the caper that would assist his development..

There are freaks and freaks and Baldock was both of those.
saintjake
Club Player

why would we put him foward?
we have enough tall fowards as it is.

rexy
SS Life Member

jimmygwilt wrote:why would we put him foward?
we have enough tall fowards as it is.
Because King is injured and Kosi may have to do a lot of rucking, might be an opportunity to have a look at him in a couple of different spots without making our forward line top heavy.

Maybe this year?
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

I have had thoughts about this as well, not sure how it would work out, not quite sure if he's ready.
But young players do have that X factor like they have nothing to lose and every game is a must-win, could be worth a shot but if I was the man in charge I would hold back...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
Solar
Saintsational Legend

personally I would ruck gardiner and mcenvoy, with kosi forward. Blake is great as a back up but its really a stop gap. Best way to teach the kid is to give him a week or two as back up to gardiner.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

He is NOwhere near ready.....and won't be until late 2009

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Not even close.

Lade and Brogan are the best ruck partnership in the comp.

He would get smashed.

Kosi, Rix, Blake are the 3 that would play ruck if neither of King or Gardy are fit.

If its Kosi whos brought up the ground, then surely Gehrig or Allen would come in to take his spot.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:He is NOwhere near ready.....and won't be until late 2009
cheers for that, and considering he's only 18 it's possibly a fair call re a big man.

I don't know what's so bad about Blake......sure he's no champion and will never be one, but he's versatile and can play forward or back, can run and do some emergency ruckwork for a few minutes if needed.

Perhaps Goose could do some rucking......he didn't seem to do much last night, and maybe some short stints in the middle could get things happening?

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

I think Mac is a talent...but Lade and Brogan would smash him.

If Gardi and King are both not available then we will have to think about bringing in the big body of Rix.

Let him ripen at Casey this year.....maybe a game or two in the AFL:...but not against a duo like PA has.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
matrix
Saintsational Legend

lade and grogan are gonna cause us probs if we dont have king and gards....

surely u wouldnt play the kid this week.....
i like rix purely cause the guy is a monster sized bloke....dunno about his skills tho.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

matrixcutter wrote:lade and grogan are gonna cause us probs if we dont have king and gards....

surely u wouldnt play the kid this week.....
i like rix purely cause the guy is a monster sized bloke....dunno about his skills tho.

what skills...???.....he doesn't have any remotely connected to football.............. :wink: :lol:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
matrix
Saintsational Legend

LOL...
yeah he's rather lacking. :twisted:

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Frankly at this stage I'd rather see Blake used in the ruck than Rix. If it were just about anyone other than Port I'd be all for giving McEvoy a go if only to show him where the AFL game is really at compared to pre-season. Lade and Brogan are big physical units though, so the risk of injury is pretty high.

I imagine we're going to see Rix if Gardiner and King are both unavailable though...

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Perhaps Goose could do some rucking......he didn't seem to do much last night, and maybe some short stints in the middle could get things happening?
he has rucked before hasn't he. a little light on for centimetres but uses his body well and would be handy around the ground. worth a thought.

quidnunc
Club Player

No to McEvoy until our selectors think his body is ready for the big league.

I remember a few years ago that Leigh Mathews put Jarred Brennan into the ruck against us.

He went up against Trent Knoble and I can still see the impact and the damage it done to Brennan and I think, his confidence - for a considerable amount of time.

When we do blood him - NOT against experienced stagers like Lade and Brogan.

Was there on the outer wing as a youngster flying the flag in '66 - still loyal, still passionate!
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Goose will be lucky to get a game this week.....3 poss. vs Ess playing on the resting ruckman in a BP.... no influence the week before....struggled at Casey...

Rix performed much better as a BP on the gorillas in the NAB his form for Casey has been strong (as usual) and exerts physical presence as a Back Up Ruckman...

Goose is clearly not ready IMO and is in struggletown ATM....
along with
Sam Gilbert
Jason Gram
Aaron Fiora
Raph Clarke
all OK players just in poor form

Blake, Rix and CJ are the three least skilled players on our list and are going to frustrate, but give 100% and play specific roles....Ross loves that type of player...but IMO we cannot carry too many gumbys

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

n1ck wrote:Not even close.

Lade and Brogan are the best ruck partnership in the comp.

He would get smashed.

Kosi, Rix, Blake are the 3 that would play ruck if neither of King or Gardy are fit.

If its Kosi whos brought up the ground, then surely Gehrig or Allen would come in to take his spot.
Thank goodness someone understands you dont play a guy who not even close to being ready. Not sure about Rix though he is ready but not sure he is able.

rexy
SS Life Member

Many would have said that Goldsack, Toovey, Brown, Anthony, Clark etc were not ready at the pies.They have all made an impact at senior level. Brisbane also thought that Cameron Wood was not ready but he has been good for them also. Sometimes you need to take a gamble, Blake is not good enough and Rix will not get any better, all of these guys will get beaten by Lade and Brogan any way.

Maybe this year?
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

rexy wrote:Many would have said that Goldsack, Toovey, Brown, Anthony, Clark etc were not ready at the pies.They have all made an impact at senior level. Brisbane also thought that Cameron Wood was not ready but he has been good for them also. Sometimes you need to take a gamble, Blake is not good enough and Rix will not get any better, all of these guys will get beaten by Lade and Brogan any way.
Wood was so good for Brisbane that they got rid of him.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

so do you think brisbane was silly to play leunburger in his first season, or carlton playing their first pick this year?

Not lyons style, but I would rather see the big mac given a go then rix. Slow, unskilled, can't take a mark and no football smarts.

FQF
In richo I trust

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Unlike most, I would play McEvoy in the ruck than Blake.

I would rather McEvoy get smashed and show some sign of brilliance, than have Blake at a maximum only nullify his opponent.

I think it has been shown through McIntosh that ruckmen do not develop through the VFL.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:so do you think brisbane was silly to play leunburger in his first season, or carlton playing their first pick this year?

Not lyons style, but I would rather see the big mac given a go then rix. Slow, unskilled, can't take a mark and no football smarts.
Have you seen McEvoy play and did you see Leunburger play in the Qafl before he was picked.

And Kruezer was playing well in practice games before he was picked.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

there has been good reports so far, if comes to form for casey why isn't birss and fergusson in the team (both been in the bests so far).....

FQF
In richo I trust

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:there has been good reports so far, if comes to form for casey why isn't birss and fergusson in the team (both been in the bests so far).....
And mention he had to be in the best just asked if you had seen him play thats all.