Jason Gram - needs to lift

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

fingers
Saintsational Legend

Jason Gram - needs to lift

Just finished watching the tape of Friday's game and one player who is really out of sorts is Jason Gram. Apart from most of his possession being a long bomb into the forward line he is really not doing the things off the ball you would expect. No chasing, tackling. Seems low on confidence or unfit. Is it just me or does he actually look like he is carrying a little extra weight ?

He needs to lift - and find something other than a long undirected kick into F50. I like his run and carry but Essendon had it figured out and good teams will just close it down.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Needs to stop trying to kick the ball too hard, and take a steadying step before kicking when at pace...

his move to a wing will see him win less footy......it is much easier at HB to get a kick from behind the ball...ATM his oponent is taking him deep, so Ross is pushing him further up the ground..

markinUSA
SS Life Member

He looked magnificent in the NAB Cup... something has happened to his kicking and bouncing the ball since then. Not sure exactly - whether it is an injury concern, a confidence issue, or something else.

"Don't give up, never give up" - Robert Harvey.
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

I think the plans of the other teams might have something to do with his performance. As yet, he does not have the physique to lay big tackles. Whether he can gain that strength over the years and whether he can learn to bend at the knees to ensure a fair tackle remains to be seen. Gilbert has the same problems but is even less likely to remedy the deficiencies.

If someone else on the backline can become a problem for opposition forwards (Goddard is looking like it at the moment) then Gram will reap the benefit. He does seem to lack confidence at the moment but that's easy to say from the sidelines. Next week against PA will be a big task for him.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

markinUSA wrote:He looked magnificent in the NAB Cup... something has happened to his kicking and bouncing the ball since then. Not sure exactly - whether it is an injury concern, a confidence issue, or something else.
Correction he looked maginficent on the NAB GF.

The week before that he was shanking the ball everywhere with his kicking.

The NAB GF has been the only game this year where his kicking has been up to scratch.

Is it injury??
Is it lack of form or confidence??
Is he just trying too hard rather than let it flow????

I know not.

What I do know is that Grammy can bea much better kick , but currently is poor at both apssing and in taking shots at goal.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

If Raph was any good then Gram could have a spell with Casey where he could try to rediscover his game,if the opposition let him.....

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

It's the post contract signing blues.

Prodgers
Club Player

I think he looks a little bit injured, just a couple of times he stopped and looked sore, got up slowly a few times after some tackles as well. Hope this is not the case abut if it is and he needs say only a week break surely it would be a benifit for him to have that week off to get himself right?

Solar
Saintsational Legend

looks his best when he takes a bounce and then settles with an extra step. I think this comes back to decision making, when he sees a good option and doesn't try and kick the leather off the ball he can pin point kicks very well

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote:It's the post contract signing blues.
has he actually signed Otiman?

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote: has he actually signed Otiman?
I think they re-signed him the week before the NAB cup final.

Otiman wrote:It's the post contract signing blues.
Please don't call it the "blues", I find that term offensive !

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

I knew there was word of the discussions starting satchmo but hadn't seen anything official- ie club announcement confirming.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

he was terrible on friday
was as soft as butter in a microwave pulled out of so many contests it wasnt funny he really did the number 1 jumper a disservice against the dons he needs to be dropped and we need to bring in some one anyone who will put their body on the line !!!
half efforts are not acceptable at this level and his kicking made CJ's look like acts of brilliance the whole kick and hope thing is not going to win us a flag if hes injured then he shouldnt be playing if he's not he should be sent to the scorps to harden up !

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Needs to talk to Ben Cousins on the secret of getting arms like legs!

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

the size or weight of a guy has nothing to do with the ability to lay a decent tackle. Trevor Barker was built like a match stick but was the best tacker i have ever seen. Tackling is about attitude and intent. Gram does not want to tackle he is not interested in doing the hard things.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Sorry, too harsh!

rexy
SS Life Member

He could have stopped the McPhee goal on the boundary line. McPhee had nowhere to go and Gram stopped and pointed at him instead of tackling. Also during there run in the 3rd we had a 2 on 1 on the half back flank and instead of attacking the contest he peeled off, the ball bounced straight in to the arms of the Essendon player and they went forward and kicked a goal.

Maybe this year?
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Yes, if only we were all perfect!

Look, I'm a blaster at the footy, not at the opposition, which is the sign of moronism in my book , but at those who make mistakes from our team who shouldn't. Which is different to those who make mistakes which are excusable.

You can't expect a player with little physical strength to suddenly exert himself on a contest. The criticism should be, why hasn't Jason worked on this aspect in the last year? and if it is beyond his physical capabilities then what is the next step?

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Thought the time on the wing and in the middle Friday night was long overdue. Teams have made it standard procedure to make sure Gram's got an opponent in the back pocket who he needs to be accountable on. Putting him the wing will get his pace back into the game.

He's not likely to have some of the spectacular runs as a result, but I believe it plays more to his strengths.

He does need to get over the bomb kick. The final minute hail mary against the doggies last year was spectacular... but it's one trick that opposition has figured out. He can do better and should.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:Thought the time on the wing and in the middle Friday night was long overdue. Teams have made it standard procedure to make sure Gram's got an opponent in the back pocket who he needs to be accountable on. Putting him the wing will get his pace back into the game.

He's not likely to have some of the spectacular runs as a result, but I believe it plays more to his strengths.

He does need to get over the bomb kick. The final minute hail mary against the doggies last year was spectacular... but it's one trick that opposition has figured out. He can do better and should.
Agree with all of that.....and yes I was pleased to see him moved up the ground too.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:
He does need to get over the bomb kick.
yes, Yes and YES.

“Yeah….nah””
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
BAM! (shhhh) wrote:
yes, Yes and YES.
yep and that's one of his biggest turn overs in the game at present...

I am sure it's a confidence issue, but more than 50% of his disposals result in turnovers or an non effective disposal..

Pretty much says that he is a liability ATM ....

We cannot afford to carry players that a down and he has been down for some period.....

If it's a confidence issue drop him and play someone else, we need to keep winning and can't afford to drop games if players are out of form...

Honestly I held my breath each and every time he had the ball last week and I was never worried about him last year..

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

rexy wrote:He could have stopped the McPhee goal on the boundary line. McPhee had nowhere to go and Gram stopped and pointed at him instead of tackling. Also during there run in the 3rd we had a 2 on 1 on the half back flank and instead of attacking the contest he peeled off, the ball bounced straight in to the arms of the Essendon player and they went forward and kicked a goal.
i noticed that a couple of time insted of doing it himself grammy would point in the direction of the player so he knows what has to be done but he doesnt do it !! if he isnt hard enuff to go after the man and throw his body in then maaybe he should refund the club the $$ that they pay him to put his body on the line !!

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:
Teflon wrote:
BAM! (shhhh) wrote:
yes, Yes and YES.

I am sure it's a confidence issue, but more than 50% of his disposals result in turnovers or an non effective disposal..

We cannot afford to carry players that a down and he has been down for some period.....

If it's a confidence issue drop him and play someone else, we need to keep winning and can't afford to drop games if players are out of form...

Honestly I held my breath each and every time he had the ball last week and I was never worried about him last year..
Im the same Fid but I didnt hold on as long as i do when Raph Clarke had it...

Grams gotta find form - we simply need his ability to run and carry with some zip....but geez I get frustrated when his wheels almost see him stumble over himself prior to kicking a bomb into a fwd spot full of opposition,...he can hit a target (Roo last week) so needs to focus on lowering eyes IMO.

“Yeah….nah””
saintly
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:
Teflon wrote:
BAM! (shhhh) wrote:
yes, Yes and YES.

the essendon match was the first game i was able to get to this. and i could not believe the difference in gram.

lack of confidence? injury? not sure. but he needs to improve lots otherwise he needs to be dropped to Casey