Nick Riewoldt

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintwill66
Club Player

Nick Riewoldt

There is little doubt that Nick Riewoldt is one of the most talented players in the AFL, but I am yet to be convinced that he rates in the AFL top 10 - and that is a great concern because in his 6th (?) season he would have been expected to have developed his game to that elite level.

Observing him, albeit from a distance obviously, I get the impression that Riewoldt is substantially lacking in confidence, and that may well stem from his arrival on the scene in the 2000 draft when he was promoted as the next superstar, in a blaze of publicity and in a glare that has rarely left him. He would not be the first young kid who has had to deal with this fame and have it affect his performance, and it shows in his style of play - he performs best in one-on-one contests, and shows signs of nervousness when kicking for goal.

I always believed that Riewoldt could (and would) play like Lance Franklin - impose himself in the forward 50 and boot goals from 60m and from all angles. But blokes like Franklin, Lynch, Mooney strut their stuff with an air of arrogance, an essential ingredient that is totally lacking in Riewoldt's psychological makeup.

It concerns me greatly that Riewoldt has been appointed as the Saints Captain, because he does not appear to possess genuine leadership qualities. Riewoldt is esentially a "nice guy" (his sledging last week notwithstanding!) and while that is great for marketing off-field, it does not make him a strong inspirational leader on the field. Kosi, Luke Ball or Steven Baker would do that far better.

I remember in 2005 when I was in the rooms at the Gabba as the players were going on to the ground, it was Koschitzke who was loudly urging the players to go in hard, and I just can't see Nick doing that in the same way.

I'm not sure how Nick can turn things around, but I reckon he needs to get a lot tougher and harder, and somehow convince himself that he can play to the standard that has been expected of him for so long.

danners
Club Player

i have to say i agree with you 100%

he does do a few things here and there that make me think they have done the right thing by making him captain, but he definately needs to step up alot more.

i think his work ethic is 2nd to none. just the way he runs all game, takes marks at full stretch up the wing. but the problem is his conversion for goal. just the fact that most people are saying that we need a franklin in our team shows that riewoldt just isnt good enough.

all i want to see is roo kicking the goals that fev and buddy kick every week. and we all know that he is capable of it.

The Peanut
Club Player

Hi there Will
Yes I agree but wonder whether you had a brief memory loss when not including Lenny for captain choices. You are right that he represents the club well off the field and a few years ago he was quite outspoken about the game generally. It is generally believed that the players voted for Lenny for captain but with the Gold Coast looming management may have had a hand in Roos captaincy and his speech at the best and fairest convinced many of us that he has what it takes in representing the club - but yes he NOT a clear leader on the field IMHO.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

strutt there stuff like Lynch Mooney?

Reiwoldt in every area right now absolutely dominates those players and there wouldn't be a coach in the AFL that would pick them over Roo. Roo and Franklin are both great players but also very very different types of players about the only thing they have in common is that they play in the forward line.

markinUSA
SS Life Member

Roo's great strength is his aerobic capacity, and his ability to run all day, to continually present himself, and to make 2nd and 3rd leads. None of the other players you mentioned have that. The "kick it to Roo" plan stems, in part, because he is always presenting himself - he runs all day and gets a lot of his possessions this way.

On the other hand, the way the ball has been brought into the forward line means that he is often leading into the pocket, making it much harder to kick goals.

Added to that, our game plan now involves kicking less goals and playing a more defensive style (with alot of flooding)... which means that many of his possessions are well away from the goals. On the other hand, you rarely see Mooney running through the backline getting possessions. O Franklin for that matter.

Just my two cents worth.

"Don't give up, never give up" - Robert Harvey.
danners
Club Player

markinUSA wrote: On the other hand, you rarely see Mooney running through the backline getting possessions. O Franklin for that matter.

Just my two cents worth.

very good point

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

i've always thought wing is his best position. very few blokes of his size with a tank like he has and he could be devastating and a nightmare match-up.

plus the fact that we've already two good key forwards in kosi and gehrig (one of whom can't get a game) who potentially convert more goals from fewer opportunities. there's also allen waiting in the wings.

i think that if roo does play forward then it should be deep rather than chf.

they tend to look for him nearly every time they go forward so we might as well have him getting his kicks within scoring distance

Huzzad
Club Player

I think Roo makes a good captain. He is arguably the face of St Kilda at the moment and a very recognisable figure. I think he has shown alot of leadership qualities over the years, and is always talking to the boys on the ground and in the huddles. I would just like to see him hit some better form and really lead by example, especially kicking for goal and playing up the ground a bit more, taking marks up the wing and maybe even in def50 just to get himself in the game rather than just hang in the for50 with two oppanants. But as for his captaining skills, I could not be happier.

www.wikisaints.com - Your Online St Kilda Encyclopedia!

www.truesainters.com - A Friendly Forum Alternative

http://truesainters.wordpress.com - Player of the Round articles, match previews and reviews
midas_touch
Club Player

There's no doubt that Riewoldt is a champion of the game, however I have hesitations on calling him a superstar. The only thing preventing him from being rated as such by myself is his kicking for goal in set shots, which has been shaky ever since 2005. Every time he has the ball in his hands in a set shot, I feel rather anxious, that it could go anywhere.

Trust the Midas Touch

"My heart is at St.Kilda, I've been here seven years, I only wanted to play for them." (Fraser Gehrig, 27/11/2007)
Huzzad
Club Player

midas_touch wrote:There's no doubt that Riewoldt is a champion of the game, however I have hesitations on calling him a superstar. The only thing preventing him from being rated as such by myself is his kicking for goal in set shots, which has been shaky ever since 2005. Every time he has the ball in his hands in a set shot, I feel rather anxious, that it could go anywhere.
Very ture. Though he has been better this year I think, nailed some goals I expected him to miss. Kosi has been way more inaccurate this year. This is why we need Frase, because we can trust his kick.

http://truesainters.wordpress.com - Player of the Round articles, match previews and reviews
midas_touch
Club Player

Huzzad wrote:
midas_touch wrote:There's no doubt that Riewoldt is a champion of the game, however I have hesitations on calling him a superstar. The only thing preventing him from being rated as such by myself is his kicking for goal in set shots, which has been shaky ever since 2005. Every time he has the ball in his hands in a set shot, I feel rather anxious, that it could go anywhere.
Very ture. Though he has been better this year I think, nailed some goals I expected him to miss. Kosi has been way more inaccurate this year. This is why we need Frase, because we can trust his kick.
If Riewoldt had Frase's accuracy, he'd be a superstar.

Trust the Midas Touch

"My heart is at St.Kilda, I've been here seven years, I only wanted to play for them." (Fraser Gehrig, 27/11/2007)
saintwill66
Club Player

The Peanut wrote:It is generally believed that the players voted for Lenny for captain
G'day Bruce

No, I haven't forgotten Lenny, though I agree he would make a better captain than Roo. But I believe "hard nut" types of players such as Kosi and Luke Ball (once he is playing completely injury-free and regains his confidence) make the best leaders. Blokes who are uncompromising, who lead by example, and who can take a game by the scruff of the neck and lift their team-mates to a higher level to destroy the opposition, that's what we need at St Kilda, and Riewoldt for all his wonderful talents is just not capable of that.........yet.

Someone needs to get into his head and put some fire into his belly, and if they do then we'll see Riewoldt achieve what we all have been hoping for.

Huzzad
Club Player

saintwill66 wrote:
The Peanut wrote:It is generally believed that the players voted for Lenny for captain
G'day Bruce

No, I haven't forgotten Lenny, though I agree he would make a better captain than Roo. But I believe "hard nut" types of players such as Kosi and Luke Ball (once he is playing completely injury-free and regains his confidence) make the best leaders. Blokes who are uncompromising, who lead by example, and who can take a game by the scruff of the neck and lift their team-mates to a higher level to destroy the opposition, that's what we need at St Kilda, and Riewoldt for all his wonderful talents is just not capable of that.........yet.

Someone needs to get into his head and put some fire into his belly, and if they do then we'll see Riewoldt achieve what we all have been hoping for.
I think they are looking at Roo as a long term captain. Like the next Buckley etc. Which is a great idea. WHile he might not be up to par this year, its good to get the system started. The less mucking around with captains the better. We all remember what happened last time he was sle captain... so let him jsut settle into the role. Its early days, expect those afterburners to be firing within a round or two.

Lennon
Club Player

Re: Nick Riewoldt

saintwill66 wrote:
I remember in 2005 when I was in the rooms at the Gabba as the players were going on to the ground, it was Koschitzke who was loudly urging the players to go in hard, and I just can't see Nick doing that in the same way.
That was three years ago.

Nick himself has said that he didn't have the leadership thing down during his first stint as captain, at 22 years of age.

His leadership has improved dramatically since.

I'm very happy with him as a captain.

He is leading the team for goals and goal assists. Nobody could ever question his workrate. And that comment to Andy Lovett last week shows he has got a bit of mongrel in him.

I don't think you could do more to lead by example. Disappointing thread.

You should get behind your club's captain, not create thread after thread (and there has been a lot of them) saying why you would rather someone else.

Nick IS captain now, and likely to stay captain for a number of years. And all the "Oh but Lenny is more of a natural leader" type comments in the world won't change that.

So just freakin support him.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

some of the crap in this thread just plain gets on my nerves

poeple throw around opinions as fact, most being blatantly wrong

do some of you guys actually watch the football, or just read about it in the paper and make your judgements on that?

absolutely ridiculous

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Huzzad
Club Player

The_Dud wrote:some of the crap in this thread just plain gets on my nerves

poeple throw around opinions as fact, most being blatantly wrong

do some of you guys actually watch the football, or just read about it in the paper and make your judgements on that?

absolutely ridiculous
Well it is a public forum, everything in here is technically opinion because it is not legally published. You'd have to be pretty stupid to actually think that people on here are posting facts. Albeit, we can all make educated guesses by going to games, meeting players, watching it on tv or whatever but no one on here is ever going to putting legitimate facts on here. I kinda thought you'd be used to rather large amount of opinions on here by now...

matrix
Saintsational Legend

midas_touch wrote:If Riewoldt had Frase's accuracy, he'd be a superstar.
if he kicked the ball in the correct way like G he would be superstar.
its the only thing letting him down isnt it...his kicking.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

name your top ten

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

I dont buy the whole "must be arrogant to be captain" cr@p.

I never really considered Hird arrogant - great captain.

It is true Riewoldts kicking lets him down for sure but lets be honest our disfunctional fwd set up so far this year with a "when in doubt kick to Riewoldt against 3" hasnt helped the bloke. IMO he simply doesnt have the fwd support that he needs to me - we dont have and need a goal kicking half fwd line.

“Yeah….nah””
n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:I dont buy the whole "must be arrogant to be captain" cr@p.

I never really considered Hird arrogant - great captain.

It is true Riewoldts kicking lets him down for sure but lets be honest our disfunctional fwd set up so far this year with a "when in doubt kick to Riewoldt against 3" hasnt helped the bloke. IMO he simply doesnt have the fwd support that he needs to me - we dont have and need a goal kicking half fwd line.
Exactly right.

Nobody bloody helps him inside forward 50.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Worst thread for a while......try and get a memory longer than 4 weeks.....

He is an absolute champion..

When Franklin/Mooney etc...have won 4 B&F's and multiple AA's and been voted by their peers as the best player in the land...then they can be compared to him....as an equal...not before...

and hard nut.....if being a hard nut means puttung youself in danger to win the ball....Riewoldt is the hardest I have witnessed.....after one suicidal act....which he will forever be remembered by

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Worst thread for a while......try and get a memory longer than 4 weeks.....

He is an absolute champion..

When Franklin/Mooney etc...have won 4 B&F's and multiple AA's and been voted by their peers as the best player in the land...then they can be compared to him....as an equal...not before...

and hard nut.....if being a hard nut means puttung youself in danger to win the ball....Riewoldt is the hardest I have witnessed.....after one suicidal act....which he will forever be remembered by
amen!

finally someone who actually has a clue, and sees past all the media hype

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
karnak
Club Player

Roo is a champion,

wanna know why he isn't considered ahead of J.Brown and W.Carey? Its the exact same reason why Hird is considered a better footballer than Harvey. Its because he hasn't one a flag let alone multiples.

Seriously guys, Roo is leading the comp for marks again this season. Is carrying an injury, and is having to change the way he plays to accomodate 3 talls in the forward line...... Not to mention that when you first get voted captain that it takes a while not only for you to adjust but for your team mates.

I think at this point we need to really really respect Balls decision to pull out of the race. It really means that the only person who may have trouble adjusting is Roo when he is looking at Hayes.

I'll be honest I was hoping that Lenny would be captain. However; I am super impressed with Roo's efforts so far this season. We know he is hungry, we know he gut runs, we know he trains the house down. And we know that he has the ability to turn a game around.

Once we sort out the structure with respect to the forwardline, I believe that the disposal into the forward line will improve dramatically. I actually believe that alot of the disposal errors are coming from what is being attempted in the forward line.

Anyway, I truly believe that we have every chance this year. For some reason I still feel more confident about making a grand final this year that what I did in 2004 at this stage in the season.

Anyway, Roo is a fantastic choice and I know that when the moments come he will deliver even more than what we expect from him.

Roo keep your head up mate, you an outstanding football player and natural leader.

Sam Gilbert you are an EXCITEMENT MACHINE!
st paddy
Club Player

What a disgrace - you people should be totally ashamed of yourselves.

To the "expert" who actually wrote this trash - can I ask how many games you actually get to?

Long way from Brisbane the telstra dome me thinks???

And how appropriate that your third allies name is peanut.

Like someone else has already said - stop getting your footy "facts" from the hype driven media and start actually paying attention to what happens on the ground.

Definitely the worse Sh%t I've ever read on this forum and how typical that it comes from some blow fly from the northern frontiers!

(and his mate - The peanut!)

What an appalling thing to read first thing in the morning - i almost choked on my friggin Wheaties!

THE GUY IS CAPTAIN FOR FRIG SAKE - HAVE SOME FRIGGIN RESPECT!!!

LYNCH AND MOONEY - FRANKLIN - GIVE ME A BREAK!

SICKENING!!!!!!!

:roll: :roll: :roll:

JeffDunne

Roo is playing hurt.