Footy Classified

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bergsone
SS Life Member

my opinion is we are playing insipid non direct footy. game plan doesntsuit our players. would like that to be answered

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Yeah thats what im saying in a round about way. It would almost be better, for me that is, not to have to listen to him at all. Nothing against reiwoldt, but Ill be none the wiser after watching FC. But of course, Ill watch anyway :D

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

bergsone wrote:my opinion is we are playing insipid non direct footy. game plan doesntsuit our players. would like that to be answered
what about lack of speed, skill, hardness at the pill, shooting for goal, and undiscipilined acts causing multiple 50 metre penalties? part of the game plan or do the players completely escape critisism?

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
bergsone wrote:my opinion is we are playing insipid non direct footy. game plan doesntsuit our players. would like that to be answered
what about lack of speed, skill, hardness at the pill, shooting for goal, and undiscipilined acts causing multiple 50 metre penalties? part of the game plan or do the players completely escape critisism?
That is true but surely you also see the way we play is due to a negative game plan.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

I thought this was a football forum, not joffaboy,s beat off forum.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
joffaboy wrote:
That is true but surely you also see the way we play is due to a negative game plan.
Both good points, and I think they are entirely intertwined. One begets the other.

Its obvious the players, for better or worse, are not being allowed to play on instinct, like they have since they were 5.

Football is a instinct game, stop and think for too long , when your not sure in the first place, and it all falls apart.

saintbart
Club Player

vacuous space wrote:What time is it on?
Ok..then I'll answer you then...seeing though everyone else seems to be interested in a slanging match. :roll:

10:30pm in Melbourne.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
joffaboy wrote:
The problem is plugger66 is that I have not once denied that our gameplan is negative. I just object to simplistic solutions like "change the gameplan" or "sack the coach". Silly kneejerk reactions that s.hite me noend.

When GT was coach we had clowns rushing on here after every loss saying he was "Outcoached" or "no plan B", or sack GT. The new mantra is "bad gameplan" and the old chestnet "sack the coach".

Fair dinkum, everyone at the club needs to be looked at and scrutinised, the coach, the players, the boot studder if need be.

But to single out just one aspect is completly simplistic and an hysterical kneejeck reaction to some poor games.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
clarky449
Saintsational Legend

how do you find out this please?

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
bergsone
SS Life Member

joffa,i agree,but didnt we have those problems lst year .

saintbart
Club Player

clarky449 wrote:how do you find out this please?
If you are asking about how you find out what time this is on, well there are newspapers, but if you dont have one, you go use this link:

http://www.yourtv.com.au/guide/index.cfm

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
So who is ultimately responsible?

The team just does not seem to be gelling at all. It just lacks direction and as heartfelt as Max was in giving Goose a spray the other night, to me it sums up where we are at. In-fighting, not happy with each other and not happy with our team-mates efforts.

Poor discipline? Who's responsible for that?

Poor kicking? Who's the forward coach? Who's the forward coach's head coach?

Hardness at the pill? Comes from within and the want to make it happen. Comes from the will to win, the preparedness to stick your head over the ball when you know it might get kicked off. Comes from inspiration.

Lack of speed? Will only come from drafting in the future, those midfielders who lack pace now will lack pace for their careers most likely. But midfield pressure can be improved, making the lack of speed less evident. Bally and Lenny typify what is required to do that, given their lack of relative pace.

The players don't escape criticism but the buck has to stop somewhere and I see it as being with the coach.

Ultimately who is responsible for making the playing group want to win the ball, and win games?

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

bergsone wrote:joffa,i agree,but didnt we have those problems lst year .
AFAIAC our injuries were excuses for our poor start and covered up the deficiencies.

We were 4-7 after 11 and even though we won 7.5 from 11 in the second half, we were run down on numerous occasions, most notable aginst Collingwood and the Bulldogs.

We looked good in the praccy matches and have looked OK on one or two occasions this year.

However we are looking very poor in our skills. Missing handpasses from 10 metres, missing footpasses from 30 metres, dropping chest marks, missing sitters in front of goal. I jus cant believe it can be all put down to "the gameplan".

When we win the gameplan looks OK. Against Carlton and Essendon we kicked 16 and 18 goals (should have been 25 but for our pathetic kicking). But when we get shut down and start passing to stationary players or looking about for the safest option is when it look bad.

I just cant believe that Lyon would coach them to play the way they have against the Bulldogs and Port. Geelong were just too good for us so I dont count that one. Nobody would coach a team to play like that.

Lance or James??

vacuous space
SS Life Member

saintbart wrote:Ok..then I'll answer you then...10:30pm in Melbourne.
Thank you very much.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

And these are the type of questions we should be asking not a barage of sack the coach statements.
Iceman234 wrote:
So who is ultimately responsible?
Good question. I would say it is the coach that needs to work out these issues, and the players to execute and play for the money they are getting paid for being professional footballers - so both.

Iceman234 wrote:The team just does not seem to be gelling at all. It just lacks direction and as heartfelt as Max was in giving Goose a spray the other night, to me it sums up where we are at. In-fighting, not happy with each other and not happy with our team-mates efforts.
Yes the team is completely out of form. I dont know how drastic it is. I prefer to wait to at least midway through the year and reasses.

Iceman234 wrote:Poor discipline? Who's responsible for that?
The player involved at the time. And the coach over time.

Iceman234 wrote:Poor kicking? Who's the forward coach? Who's the forward coach's head coach?
Players have no responsibility? Yes there is a forward coach, and he should be under scrunity, but the players get paid big bucks to kick straight.

Iceman234 wrote:Hardness at the pill? Comes from within and the want to make it happen. Comes from the will to win, the preparedness to stick your head over the ball when you know it might get kicked off. Comes from inspiration.
Yup - absolutely agree. If this mob cant do it, go out and get a mob that can.

Iceman234 wrote:Lack of speed? Will only come from drafting in the future, those midfielders who lack pace now will lack pace for their careers most likely. But midfield pressure can be improved, making the lack of speed less evident. Bally and Lenny typify what is required to do that, given their lack of relative pace.
My thoughts exactly.

Iceman234 wrote:The players don't escape criticism but the buck has to stop somewhere and I see it as being with the coach.
Ultimately it will. Ultimately some players will also pay the price as well.

Iceman234 wrote:Ultimately who is responsible for making the playing group want to win the ball, and win games?
The playing group. North in the 90's hated Pagans guts. he didn't inspire them, they inspired themselves. Not saying he wasn't a good coach then, but it comes from the group of players.

If they are not up to it, piss them off and get some who will be.

Lance or James??

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Good to hear Roo will be on.

I hope they don't baby him with simple questions and get down to some nitty gritty.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

confidence

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

I wish they'd get over this crap with Lovett! :? makes me sick! Wilsons a dog! WOOF!

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Watching the Roo interview....

Once upona time footy shows (and On The Couch is still good) were mainly about talking footy....discussing the game.

Shows like Footy Classified are mainly about looking for dirt...or trying to catch people out....which witha guy like Hutchy on the panel is about what you would expect.

Oh for the days for White Line Fever......and Clinton Grybus who apart from having a true passion for the game was a true professional.
He could ask questions that "added" to our game...rather than only seeking to "drag" things down.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Tue 29 Apr 2008 12:31am, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Interesting that Roo says that they are instructed to go out and play an attacking game plan each week....and that it is the inability of the players to do it and not the gameplan. Cited the quarter against the Dogs as an example of when the gameplan is followed....

Now that is not what about 75% of this forum states?????

St.Kenny
Club Player

75% of the forumites tell it as they see it......isnt that a terrible thing !!

My behaviour is considered acceptable in some far off remote exotic countries...
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

is Arch struggling with the program style of Footy Classified?

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Roo is obviously a liar. :roll:

Afterall, we have been told repeatedly over the last 2 days that our Coach Ross Lyon has constructed a defensive, negative gameplan for our players to follow. Surely the luminaries of Saintsational. com cannot have been wrong on this?

No it must be that Roo is deliberately lying to try and extend the conspiracy by the coaching panel to defraud all Saints supporters of attractive footy by their team.

Yes, Roo is lying.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:is Arch struggling with the program style of Footy Classified?
Probably....Archer has Integrety with a Capital I.....and loves the game and just wants to talk footy...

Most of the others are looking for a headline or a cheap shot.

Ice Wolf
Club Player

Mr Magic wrote:Roo is obviously a liar. :roll:

Afterall, we have been told repeatedly over the last 2 days that our Coach Ross Lyon has constructed a defensive, negative gameplan for our players to follow. Surely the luminaries of Saintsational. com cannot have been wrong on this?

No it must be that Roo is deliberately lying to try and extend the conspiracy by the coaching panel to defraud all Saints supporters of attractive footy by their team.

Yes, Roo is lying.
Yes, Roo and Lyon are both lying when they say that the players have been instructed to play an attacking game plan, now we just need Archie to come out and back up thier lies.

Im more inlinded to believe the Captain and Coach than the internet brigade who have no idea as to what the players have been instructed.
Last edited by Ice Wolf on Tue 29 Apr 2008 12:53am, edited 1 time in total.