Players not following gameplan

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

spert
Saintsational Legend

Players not following gameplan

I just read an article about Lyon being bewildered about players not playing as instructed..we'll mate, if players don't follow instructions, you drop them..it seemed to work in my limited days of playing crappy footy!

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

I'm sure we go out there with every intention of playing to the gameplan set out, but there are no fallback positions.

Basically, if any one aspect of our game is shut down, from full back to full foward and anywhere between (including the bench and coaches box), then we have no idea how to cope and go into a s*** style of footy.

Stay tuned folks, this one aint over yet.

markp
Saintsational Legend

You can't drop em all... and what hope would they have of 'clicking' if you are constantly changing the team radically?

spert
Saintsational Legend

Yeah I know we can't drop them all, but dropping some bigger names who are not playing as instructed will soon get the message across, otherwise we go through a season where the coach has a gameplan that players are not following..who's in charge out there? I sense a lack of discipline on the field and a real lack of leadership -no one leading from the front when the going gets tough...some of our players are SOFT and might have got away with some things under GT as individuals, but are showing their true colours when RL tries to make them play disciplined team football.

Huzzad
Club Player

I guess it needs to be understood why the plan wasn't followed....

Was it because of the pressure? Or players disagreeing with the plan? Hopefully the match review panel gets to the bottom of it and quick. Its hardly surprising given what happened against Port.

For those who havnt read the article:
Saints go outside coach's manual
Michael Gleeson | April 29, 2008

ST KILDA'S unattractive, fiddly, lockdown first half against Port Adelaide last Saturday night prompted coach Ross Lyon to express bewilderment as to why his side had played in a manner for which it was unpractised and uninstructed.

It was not the first time, however, that the players had swayed from instruction in this way and was the reason why yesterday's match review at the club would have been a searching affair.

Club president Greg Westaway is cautious to remain within his province of knowledge and not tread in football matters beyond his expertise, but he felt the football department would be reviewing how it was that the players had again strayed from instructions.

"It is a coaching thing and they are saying, 'Fellas, did we practise this at training? No, we didn't, so why are we doing this?' It is not a matter of getting used to something because they were playing well in the last half of last year and they should be used to the coach by now.

"They should know what he wants, so why (is it) not transferring? The pressure of the game makes people do things that they do automatically instead of following the plan," Westaway said. "The board's view is always we are going to back the coach 100% until we have got a reason not to back him and we don't have a reason not to do that at this stage. We are not over the moon because we are three and three; we would like to be better than that. But the sky has not fallen in.

"There's enough happening for us to say, well, maybe we should have another look at how we are going about this and I am sure that is what Ross will do."

St Kilda kicked only two behinds in a scrappy first quarter when it went short and pressed numbers back. It lacked fast movement of the ball and went overboard on handballing.

Responsibility for the unattractive game was not entirely St Kilda's doing; Port Adelaide was also sloppy early. Conditions were not conducive to slick play, which made for errors and more contests and turnovers.

Lyon said: "I'm not sure exactly (why the side played as it did at the outset); we'll review it and learn from it, but it hurts. It hurts really on the scoreboard, hurts the group and hurts everyone involved with the club. I asked the question in the box, 'Do we train that?' And the response is, 'No'. Then I asked the players, 'Do we train that?' and they say, 'No'.

"Sometimes the pressure of games and the pressure of the opposition make you do funny things, which we want to eradicate if we're going to be a top team."

www.wikisaints.com - Your Online St Kilda Encyclopedia!

www.truesainters.com - A Friendly Forum Alternative

http://truesainters.wordpress.com - Player of the Round articles, match previews and reviews
bergsone
SS Life Member

Surely some must be playing to the plan,and some not .Just i cant tell who.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

What a load of RUBBISH.. :roll:

LENNY LEADS THE WAY
Club Player

The game plan is being followed i repeat is being followed.

Poor skills are letting us down atm though making us look poor.

I repeat The game plan IS being followed

100 percent behind the saints 100 percent of the time
Behind Play
Club Player

LENNY LEADS THE WAY wrote:The game plan is being followed i repeat is being followed.

According to RL , his coaching staff and players it isn't. This is from the horse's mouth.

LENNY LEADS THE WAY
Club Player

Behind Play wrote:
LENNY LEADS THE WAY wrote:The game plan is being followed i repeat is being followed.

According to RL , his coaching staff and players it isn't. This is from the horse's mouth.

We'll from the last 18 months i'd say they haven't been following the game plan coz they seem to be doing the same thing each week win lose or draw.

Huzzad
Club Player

Quiet everyone! The oracle has spoken. Our win against Port last weekend showed us that the game plan is definatly working.
Listen to Lenny, you've all been had.

www.wikisaints.com - Your Online St Kilda Encyclopedia!

www.truesainters.com - A Friendly Forum Alternative

http://truesainters.wordpress.com - Player of the Round articles, match previews and reviews
LENNY LEADS THE WAY
Club Player

Huzzad wrote:

Quiet everyone! The oracle has spoken. Our win against Port last weekend showed us that the game plan is definatly working.
Listen to Lenny, you've all been had.

Didn't say it was working ass monkey i said it was being followed but lack of skills was letting us down so read my post again