OFFICIAL TEAM (when known) discussion thread

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

your momma
Club Player

excellent team, looks convincing for a decent game.
this is Gtrains big chance, good luck legend.

"Im never satisfied...its a curse"
Huzzad
Club Player

Wollongong_saint wrote:He has been in decent form, but nothing like we have seen in the past........he has worked in spurts but certainly hasn't won us games. King and Gardiner are both better ruckmen and recent history has shown the forward line isn't working (with or without Gehrig). So back to my question......who will be out for King?

I don't think a small will go (although I don't think Birss will last anyway)
Swapping King for Birss wouldnt exactly rob us of small palyers. We still have plenty in the side. Our entire midfield for example, plus milne, scnheider. Then we have bakes, and the slightly bigger dempster down back. We dont want a team of midgets, do we? Nothing wrong with Birss moving for King. Put Schnieder or Xavier on the wing in his place and rotate King and Gards off the bench.

www.wikisaints.com - Your Online St Kilda Encyclopedia!

www.truesainters.com - A Friendly Forum Alternative

http://truesainters.wordpress.com - Player of the Round articles, match previews and reviews
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Not sure Gehrig has earned a recall, but everything else was spot on.

Well done RL :)

I hope Fiora can find his way into reckoning and really make his mark, but apart from that, this isn't far off our best line-up. Raph Clarke I'd like to see pull his finger up, but my hope is fading.

For our best 22, maybe Gilbert and King for Birss and Gehrig.

Birss I'd rate on a level pegging with Leigh Fiser and Fiora - three blokes battling for a similar position, but all with different attributes. It's Birss's go now, let's hope he capitalises on it. If he doesn't, I'd expect Jarryn Geary - who could eclipse all three sooner rather than later - to force his way into reckoning.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Fair inclusions and exclusions I would say.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Solar
Saintsational Legend

very interesting set of 3 emergencies, 2 medium to tall forwards and a young ruckman. I wonder who could come in if say a midfielder got hit by a bus :P

all in all it's a very good team

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
maverick
Saintsational Legend

How has Goose kept his spot...luckiest bloke at the club IMO...
Talk about blokes being played on reputation only.....
His recovery from injury should be through the scorps to regain form, not through the seniors....
We can only hope Max's spray wakes him up.....

The rest of the selected team I find quite promising, happy for G to play this week and also like seeing Charlie, Birss and Armo retained as well...
Rix I think may have played his last game of footy for the Saints, Blake being dropped must be a worry for him, Dempster has his spot at the moment and Leigh well, he just needs to go back to Casey and get the ball...he just doesn't get it in the 1's....

M gardiner has not played in a loss as yet, let's hope that continues....

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Huzzad wrote:
Wollongong_saint wrote:He has been in decent form, but nothing like we have seen in the past........he has worked in spurts but certainly hasn't won us games. King and Gardiner are both better ruckmen and recent history has shown the forward line isn't working (with or without Gehrig). So back to my question......who will be out for King?

I don't think a small will go (although I don't think Birss will last anyway)
Swapping King for Birss wouldnt exactly rob us of small palyers. We still have plenty in the side. Our entire midfield for example, plus milne, scnheider. Then we have bakes, and the slightly bigger dempster down back. We dont want a team of midgets, do we? Nothing wrong with Birss moving for King. Put Schnieder or Xavier on the wing in his place and rotate King and Gards off the bench.
We lose run with another small out. When King plays it must be for a tall otherwise we again have 3 talls in the forward line and we have no mobility again. Even this side has one too many talls IMO. Footy is changing and you need more run and carry. King and MG provide none. G none Goose not much as with Max. Kosi a bit in the ruck but none up forward.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:Not sure Gehrig has earned a recall, but everything else was spot on.

With reports on him ranged from poor to scathing....I was surprised to watch the 17 min highlight video to see him playing quitea serviceable game ona HFF and doing his best to get his team mates into the game.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

The team is definetly looking good on paper. Has for most of the year.

On paper being the operative word. I can't help thinking that the one thing we need is just a little bit more times for the team to get settled, get some confidence and the rest will come. Synergy I think they call it.

I think that it has been a long time since we have been able to consistently field the same nucleus of players week in and week out. The other thing to remember also is there a a few new players probably adjusting, some are the imports from other clubs and some are the new young young guys in the team.

The statistic for this current group of players playing together regularly would be low.

M. Gardi,
King
C. Gardiner
Dempster
Snides

Nearly 25% of the team just in those names. They still need time to develop as a team in my book.

Saintschampions08
Club Player

So far the reasons for Frasers inclusion, from forumites, has been simple:

"He's a 2 time coleman medallist"

"It's not about what he has done, but what he could do"

"He's kicked 7 from 3 games, which is not a bad return"

"Despite only having 8 kicks, and 1 behind, as well as casey losing, he played brilliantly :roll: "

No one has actually said something to say that he actually deserves a spot.
He's basically getting a game, based on his '04 form.

He's been terrible this year, 7 goals from 3 games is terrible for a 'main' forward. I'm sure if Allen had played the 3 games instead, he could have kicked 7 goals and at least not been totally destroyed by his direct opposition.

SaintDippa
Club Player

Happy about the selections over the past 3 weeks. Slowly removing all the dead wood. Well ...... there's Gehrig. Boy is this a pressure game for him against a mark and run Tigers defence.

If he has a shocker he may well be carried off for the second time in 8 months.

dsreg1
Club Player

evertonfc wrote:Not sure Gehrig has earned a recall, but everything else was spot on.

I hope Fiora can find his way into reckoning and really make his mark, but apart from that, this isn't far off our best line-up. Raph Clarke I'd like to see pull his finger up, but my hope is fading.

Where is his finger, and where is he pulling it to?

Perhaps you're just referring to his intestinal fortitude? (mmm.... have i crossed the line?)
:)

To the top
SS Life Member

The two out with injury, and who would be automatic inclusions, are King and Gilbert.

From there the competition is on with the likes of the 3 Emergencies plus the younger brigade (Howard and Steven particularly) pushing the likes of Birss, Dempster, Baker, Milne and Gehrig.

Hopefully they can oust those players, because St Kilda will be all the better for it.

The comment that L. Fisher was not getting much of the ball is a trifle savage - he has been playing as a "tagger" and was lauded for his 8 possession game against Sydney.

I do not think "tagging" does him any favours - but then again it does not do anyone any favours!

Hopefully he can show he is a more than useful footballer.

Maguire, now that the decision has been made to play him at League level, needs to continue for 2 reasons being 1) he gives structure to our defensive 6 playing CHB and frees S. Fisher to a more beneficial role and 2) he will be being judged on his incremental improvements on the training track and those efforts will determine his immediate future. Incremental improvements on the training track will translate to improvement on match day/s and that is the rehabilitation programme. If there are improvements, and you would assess there are which is why he is being chosen, then there is no reason to play him at Casey. If incremental improvement stagnates on the track then it will be time to re-assess in the interests of the player, and he may need a rest.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

For our best 22, maybe Gilbert and King for Birss and Gehrig.
baffles me Everton why people keep on wanting Fiora to be in the team. Has shown he's not even a GOP. Soft, goes to ground in a contest, disappears under pressure. Very happy to see him out of the side myself.

Unforgiven
SS Life Member

Roo V Richo on the wing, would like to see that one

Carpe Diem
The Saintsational Man
Club Player

Gardiner's the big in here.

Would love to see him play 75% in the ruck, even the whole game if he thinks hes up to it, but i doubt he'll be able to.

As i've said before we're 6-0 with him in the side, just a little something im hanging onto i guess.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Geeee somebody on the selection committee likes me

http://www.saintsational.com/forum/view ... ht=#555892

Does RL read SS? :wink:

Club Player

Saintschampions08 wrote:So far the reasons for Frasers inclusion, from forumites, has been simple:

"He's a 2 time coleman medallist"

"It's not about what he has done, but what he could do"

"He's kicked 7 from 3 games, which is not a bad return"

"Despite only having 8 kicks, and 1 behind, as well as casey losing, he played brilliantly :roll: "

No one has actually said something to say that he actually deserves a spot.
He's basically getting a game, based on his '04 form.

He's been terrible this year, 7 goals from 3 games is terrible for a 'main' forward. I'm sure if Allen had played the 3 games instead, he could have kicked 7 goals and at least not been totally destroyed by his direct opposition.
Did you watch him against Casey last w/e?

Sobraz
SS Life Member

thank christ Rix and Blake have been dropped... Baring an injury curse, hopefully we wont see either of them again for the year...

This is the best team we have had on paper all year, and is Gilbo and King away from our best 22 IMO..

Great to see the emergencies as well, mainly Rapha and McEvoy... If/when Raph gets his chance, a forward/midfield roll has his name all over it...

Great to see G back also... Ross erred in dropping him 2 weeks ago due to media pressure, and has made the right call in his selection... Gives us depth in the forward line at the very least, in that he takes a top defender.. No surprise Scarlett and Lake played on G earlier in the year.. Gives roo, kosi etc no. 2/3/4 defenders...

saints to win this week for sure.. With Raph, McEvoy, Geary & Allen waiting in the wings, we have good younge depth also.. Much better backups that Rix, Blake, Fiora and Fisher...

Things are looking up...

jill
Club Player

After talking to a Hawks fan who told me what a great job the Tigs did on Buddy - leading him way out & blocking fwd line - another big forward at least adds to the mix - believe this will be make or break for the G-Train.
- to reply to some other comments, Ralphy you should BE there, NOT watching it on tv.(and I'm further from Melb. than you).
-Huzzard, McEvoy has been in best players in VFL - has earnt his place on form!
GO SAINTERS!!

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Saint Corin wrote:Roo V Richo on the wing, would like to see that one
Well, you won't. And you won't see Richo on the wing either, he win run down to his usual spot in the arc with Max on him. If he kicks like he has for the last 15 years, we'll win. If he has a day out, I seem to recall one in the 90s at VFL Park, we could struggle.

The selection team clearly believes our midfield is superior to theirs, hence the reduced number of taggers (especially Fisher, a mistake in my opinion).

If you include one ruckman, then another ruckman should be dropped. That's a no brain-er with Rix, one of the least talented players ever (but I'm sure he'll do well in life).

But we have dropped another swing ruckman in Blake, which will make the Blake haters happy, but seeing none of them knows anything about football, this will prove a problem. As it turns out , against Richmond, who are hopeless, the risks are less. But if one ruckman goes down (like Gardiner in the first fifteen seconds) then we are going to be in strife as Symonds will cut us to pieces.

The game will be won in the midfield. We should win easily (ie by 15 points).

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:thank christ Rix and Blake have been dropped... Baring an injury curse, hopefully we wont see either of them again for the year...

This is the best team we have had on paper all year, and is Gilbo and King away from our best 22 IMO..

Great to see the emergencies as well, mainly Rapha and McEvoy... If/when Raph gets his chance, a forward/midfield roll has his name all over it...

Great to see G back also... Ross erred in dropping him 2 weeks ago due to media pressure, and has made the right call in his selection... Gives us depth in the forward line at the very least, in that he takes a top defender.. No surprise Scarlett and Lake played on G earlier in the year.. Gives roo, kosi etc no. 2/3/4 defenders...

saints to win this week for sure.. With Raph, McEvoy, Geary & Allen waiting in the wings, we have good younge depth also.. Much better backups that Rix, Blake, Fiora and Fisher...

Things are looking up...
On paper we are world beaters.

So things are looking up eh?

Do you know something we all don't, as in, are all the players going to play with some heart or just run out the 120 minutes doing time???

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Sobraz
SS Life Member

saintspremiers wrote:
Sobraz wrote:thank christ Rix and Blake have been dropped... Baring an injury curse, hopefully we wont see either of them again for the year...

Things are looking up...

Do you know something we all don't, as in, are all the players going to play with some heart or just run out the 120 minutes doing time???
Things are looking up in regard to getting the right mix of attack v. defence, youth v. experience in the side... Once the mix is right things wil come together..

You cant go forward with Demp, Bakes, L. Fisher, Blake all in the side as well as Rix, Birss etc.. all these guys are lower on the ledger of talent..

an even mix of both is required, and with Schnides in, we have more offensive talent..

If the heart comment is a reference to Blake (I may be drawing a long bow), he just is not up to the skill level required anymore, and, like Rix, heart alone doesnt make you successful at this level.. His time is gone, heart included..

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:

Things are looking up...

Things are looking up in regard to getting the right mix of attack v. defence, youth v. experience in the side... Once the mix is right things wil come together..

You cant go forward with Demp, Bakes, L. Fisher, Blake all in the side as well as Rix, Birss etc.. all these guys are lower on the ledger of talent..

an even mix of both is required, and with Schnides in, we have more offensive talent..

If the heart comment is a reference to Blake (I may be drawing a long bow), he just is not up to the skill level required anymore, and, like Rix, heart alone doesnt make you successful at this level.. His time is gone, heart included..
I'm not disagreeing with you re the team lineup as a whole - sure, I'd prefer Goose out and Blake in, but the heart comment was about most of the side......most of them last week showed no ticker at all, and without ticker we are nothing.

I'm fully expecting that considering we are playing against a weakish team at our home base, we'll be a bit more pumped up. But that's one game. What will happen against the Pies in a fortnight? Will the fire still be there??

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
sainters man
Club Player

I like the ins, with gehrig we should make him stay and never leave the 50m arch
If thursfield or moore or whoever the defender is wants to run off him, fraser should let them and sit in the goal square and wait for a turn over instead of him running up and down the ground than has no energy to use his strength in a marking contest.