Raph Clarke

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

To the top
SS Life Member

With Hudgden out, with Maguire off with a crook ankle who was left as a "tall" in our defence?

R. Clarke is 189cm, and the job fell to him, although Maguire was back on at the end. Had to be!

Yes there were times he, like every other player on the field, was in the spotlight but when you win the ball, are confronted immediately by up to 3 opposition players, look to give off to your support, but wait, there is no support, what do you do?

And his brother's hand ball to him was loose so he was unable to run onto the possession, had to track the bouncing ball which got behind him - balls the shape of an AFL football can do that.

Some of his disposal by hand was good, setting up when he actually did have running support - and a couple of kicks carried a line to a spot up player deep - I think a couple of goals came from these disposals.

In terms of forwards outmarking defenders, it happens, and R. Clarke was not the only defender outmarked on occasion.

He had the pill 19 times - and some of those touches were very effective - but sometimes he was the "rabbit in the headlights" because the support was not around him - unlike Richmond who always seem to have someone (at least) in support - in fact most clubs seem to have "shovel it back" support against St Kilda.

So yes, he did at times look ordinary, but he had the pill and had absolutely no support to give off to and no forward options.

It is a team game, and St Kilda seem to be outplayed in that area.

Mind you with the inter-change bench as it was it was a meritorious win - and Riewoldt was rather "unfortunate" to be pile driven when not in possession of the ball - and winning a free kick for the attack on him when the ball was in someone else's hands.

gooner
Club Player

To the top wrote:With Hudgden out, with Maguire off with a crook ankle who was left as a "tall" in our defence?

R. Clarke is 189cm, and the job fell to him, although Maguire was back on at the end. Had to be!

Yes there were times he, like every other player on the field, was in the spotlight but when you win the ball, are confronted immediately by up to 3 opposition players, look to give off to your support, but wait, there is no support, what do you do?

And his brother's hand ball to him was loose so he was unable to run onto the possession, had to track the bouncing ball which got behind him - balls the shape of an AFL football can do that.

Some of his disposal by hand was good, setting up when he actually did have running support - and a couple of kicks carried a line to a spot up player deep - I think a couple of goals came from these disposals.

In terms of forwards outmarking defenders, it happens, and R. Clarke was not the only defender outmarked on occasion.

He had the pill 19 times - and some of those touches were very effective - but sometimes he was the "rabbit in the headlights" because the support was not around him - unlike Richmond who always seem to have someone (at least) in support - in fact most clubs seem to have "shovel it back" support against St Kilda.

So yes, he did at times look ordinary, but he had the pill and had absolutely no support to give off to and no forward options.

It is a team game, and St Kilda seem to be outplayed in that area.

Mind you with the inter-change bench as it was it was a meritorious win - and Riewoldt was rather "unfortunate" to be pile driven when not in possession of the ball - and winning a free kick for the attack on him when the ball was in someone else's hands.

Yes, yes, yes

But EVERY game?!
I'll say it again, EVERY game?

"The humble improve" Wynton Marsalis
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising,

You said Raph freezes every time he gets the ball.

What does our captain do every time he has a set shot at goal?

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
To the top
SS Life Member

Well Gooner, we have not had Maguire, and now we have not got Gilbert and we did not have Max.

How many games have Goose, Max and Gilbert played together?

Our only other "tall" defending option is S. Fisher and, as tonight showed again he has his limitations playing as a KP defender.

So R. Clarke is again called on to play as a "tall" defender because he stretches the tape to 189cm.

I also would like to see a couple of hot prospects put their hands up as key defenders - but exactly who is?

Who can you identify on our list (leaving out Max and Gilbert) hence the comment "again, again and again".

Maguire, S. Fisher and who else when sides look to stretch our defence, as they do?

And don't tell me Rix!!!!!!

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:saintsRrising,

OOhhhhh. Don't bag Riewoldt mate.

People will start to question your support of the saints by posting this rubbish.

...big no no. :twisted: 8-)

gooner
Club Player

To the top wrote:Well Gooner, we have not had Maguire, and now we have not got Gilbert and we did not have Max.

How many games have Goose, Max and Gilbert played together?

Our only other "tall" defending option is S. Fisher and, as tonight showed again he has his limitations playing as a KP defender.

So R. Clarke is again called on to play as a "tall" defender because he stretches the tape to 189cm.

I also would like to see a couple of hot prospects put their hands up as key defenders - but exactly who is?

Who can you identify on our list (leaving out Max and Gilbert) hence the comment "again, again and again".

And don't tell me Rix!!!!!!

Fair point.
I understand that it's one of the hardest positions to learn the trade in that every mistake is huge but...
I've seen every game the kid has played and I'm sorry he spends too long before disposing the ball.
He does some good things but they get overlooked cos he either gets pinged for holding the ball or runs into trouble.
There is talent in there somewhere it's just that we need John Edward to locate it.

"The humble improve" Wynton Marsalis
1989 saint
Club Player

i know i may get shot down for this, and it has probably been said and debated before but i have to get this out.

RAPH CLARKE IS SH!T.
plain and simple, whenever he gets involved or within a 5m radius of the ball there is a turnover.

although he did do better in the second half, it was only minorly.

every time he gets the ball it is complelty frustrating to see him be so undecided and nearly 98% of the time mae the wrong decision.

he was terrible the last game he played in the seniors, so no need to pull him back in because he hasnt really performed in teh 2nd either.

if he is not delisted at the end of the season, i can not see the club going anywhere but down

Should have won the premiership in '04, '05, went nowhere in '06, wasted '07, wish for a win in '08

FOX FOOTY ---- LEST WE FORGET CHANNEL 506
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:

OOhhhhh. Don't bag Riewoldt mate.

People will start to question your support of the saints by posting this rubbish.

...big no no. :twisted: 8-)
too right, what an absolutely ridiculous comment

thats the seconds pot Bernard has had at Roo tonight

when has Roo EVER "froze" when haing a set shot at goal...?

:roll:

you are an idiot mate

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

oh, and Raph, for every good thing, he does about 2 bad ones

can't keep carrying him, he's no good, and aint getting any better

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
felixleo
Club Player

yer pays yer money yer takes yer chance.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

check the stats

he wasn't the worst
http://westofmoorabbin.com/08/frontpage ... stats.gif- LINK broken try visiting http://westofmoorabbin.com check right hand side of the page
he was terrible the last game he played in the seniors, so no need to pull him back in because he hasnt really performed in teh 2nd either.
and I would think you will find he was best on ground last game

some players just seem to be the easy target- and you would wondr why the players would even bother coming out to give a performance at all- those that get the attention often don't want it while others never get anything positive,.

I guess one day when Raph does show his promise many will still find a reason for it not to be his doing-
Last edited by saintbrat on Sun 04 May 2008 11:51am, edited 1 time in total.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

1989 saint wrote:if he is not delisted at the end of the season, i can not see the club going anywhere but down
The entire fate of the St Kilda Football Club rests on Raph Clarke's slender shoulders? :shock:

No wonder the poor feller is struggling ... :wink:

Raph made many errors last night, and also made some fine plays. He's an enigma, that's for sure. On balance I suspect he's not a quick enough decision maker to be a best 22 player, but he wasn't our worst last night by any measure.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

jesus.....

here we go again
everytime he makes the senior side theres a thread started about him no matter what he does or doesnt do.
no max back there, so who else was gonna take the role.

goose..i mean why not he has being playing soooooo well lately :roll: why dont u start on him ffs

if raph doesnt play, blake gets the game....simple.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

I cant believe the caning this lad gets...

Does anyone remember threads about Brendan GODDARD a few years ago when he first started playing across the half back line. Brendan was always getting caught (run down) and turning the ball over and people on the site were suggesting he was hopeless and should be traded.

Yes Raph has let himself down and I have been one to critcise his lack of physical preparation, but now he appears to getting that right. Give the kid time - show some faith and he will reward you and the SAINTS in spades....as Brendan is now!

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
james rose
Club Player

19 touches 5 contested 73% effective

5 rebound 50's

not a bad game from a late inclusion!

and watching at the game after the first quarter i thought he was nearly in our best

james rose
Club Player

jason gram

11 touches 3 contested 54% efficiency

1 rebound 50
7 1%'s

just thought it was of interest

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

james rose wrote:19 touches 5 contested 73% effective

5 rebound 50's

not a bad game from a late inclusion!

and watching at the game after the first quarter i thought he was nearly in our best
He will cost us a game, no doubt about that, maybe move him forward where he can cause less damage if he must be kept in the side..but I really can't see why.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

james rose wrote:jason gram

1 rebound 50
7 1%'s

Good point, would have started a Gram thread but at least Gram has a decent history, we know Gram has the potential, Raph has none.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

So your argument is what???

That because another player has a fault or faults that any player can stuff up???

The test is not stuffing up at all, or in not having faults...for there is no perfect player.......but in ensuring that your plusses far outweigh your minuses.

Roo has more pluses than minuses.

Raph at present does not. IMO he simply makes too many unecessary mistakes. ((((Which by the way sums up our team at present))))

IMO I would put him back at Casey and play him in the midfield for 4 to 6 weeks straight under constant pressure. He needs to learn to think better and quicker.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
james rose
Club Player

The Fireman wrote:

1 rebound 50
7 1%'s

Good point, would have started a Gram thread but at least Gram has a decent history, we know Gram has the potential, Raph has none.
disagree.. I think gram has hit the best form he will ever show... we still haven't seen raphs best and when it comes we will all be very happy, it will come!

remember how everyone spoke of BJ in his first years!

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

james rose wrote:
The Fireman wrote:

1 rebound 50
7 1%'s

disagree.. I think gram has hit the best form he will ever show... we still haven't seen raphs best and when it comes we will all be very happy, it will come!

remember how everyone spoke of BJ in his first years!
Gram is in a slump, Raph is in perpetual slump.
Mate I wish and hope that you are right, just can't see it. :cry:

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:
I guess one day when Raph does show his promise many will still find a reason for it not to be his doing-
Quite frankly this is a silly argument....

If he shows his promise...fantastic....but the reality is in the here and now for someone of his age and experience he is underperforming.

If he improves it will be his doing.

If he stays at his current level...it will be his doing.

Many on this site want the Saints to play in a GF....and yet they are fully accepting of performances which are far below the level required to do so.

You win GF's by being good...not by being promising.

PS....Raph has the talent to bea first 22 player....but currently he is not. I fervently hope he improves...as we the saints need him and others to do so.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Sun 04 May 2008 12:04pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
james rose
Club Player

I don't think raph is in a slump.. I think he is still developing at this level.. how many games has he played? some players take a long time to hit there straps at afl level.. he looked more composed last night.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

james rose wrote:I don't think raph is in a slump.. I think he is still developing at this level.. how many games has he played? some players take a long time to hit there straps at afl level.. he looked more composed last night.
If Raph is a work in progress let him do it somewhere else.

james rose
Club Player

why?
* He is being serviceable as the stats show
* He was no where near our worst in the team... (see Gram)
* we have forced changes due to injury/suspensions

there is no logic to dropping him.. he is delivering acceptable games AND has potential to be a very good player!