Where were the Saints fans?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Where were the Saints fans?

Familiar theme I know, but of the 40 thousand there it seemed like two thirds were Richmond supporters. Our membership is 30,000 and Richmond's is 37,000 (7,000 unticketed whatever that means). Once, on a Saturday night, the Saints fans would turn up in their droves, even at the Dome (but especially at Waverley). Noise helps, maybe only a fraction, but it's a fraction we should have.

AND, IT WAS A GREAT WIN!

hilairehinshelwood
Club Player

You just beat me to post this question. Completely surrounded by yellow and black on level 3 aisle 8. Didn't stop me jumping up and down when the tiger hit the post at the end though.
Looking around telstra dome, i think saints fans would struggle to get to a third of the crowd. Saints support seems to decline with each game.
Ticketing policy crazy, as this 'away' game in the same stadium as the homes was just as crucial if not more so than some homes. Should be a half way ticket that doesn't limit you to home games but you can pick and choose out of all Melbourne games. Home memberships lower saints support i think, but then again marketing people would surely have worked out what maximises revenue.

choowy
Club Player

blame our style of play and our depressive coaching staff.
________
Drug test
Last edited by choowy on Tue 15 Feb 2011 2:11am, edited 1 time in total.

Carl Mynott
Club Player

It was a Richmond home game so maybe all their members turned up expecting a win against an out of sorts StKilda.............

The more things change the more they stay the same
Cirra
Club Player

It was a Richmond Home game so that would have kept some Saints fans awy.

"When we get back on November 5 and walk through that door, we're getting on a bus together and we're going down the road to a premiership. You're either on the bus or you get run over," Roo at the B&F 2007

In 2012, I'm still on the bus.
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Also doesnt help when a % of the St Kilda crowd who DO turn up spend most of the game sledging their own players :!: :evil:

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:Also doesnt help when a % of the St Kilda crowd who DO turn up spend most of the game sledging their own players :!: :evil:
At the risk of being wrongly associated with them, i'll attempt to defend them;

At least they turn up to away matches!

ace
Saintsational Legend

Richmond claims 7,000 unticketed "members".
Are these last years members who have not become members this year?
Are they AFL members who have nominated Richmond club support?
Are they Melbourne Cricket Club members who barrack for Richmond but don't need a Richmond membership to attend Richmond home games at the MCG?

I have it on good authority - God is an unticketed Saints supporter.

This match was a Richmond home game - at the Telstra Dome.
Richmond was kicked off their home ground at the MCG so that Collingwood could play Hawthorn there.
St Kilda reserved seat holders were then kicked out of their seats so that Richmond reserved seats holders could take their place.
Many St Kilda reserve seat holders do not turn up to away games where they have to fight it out with everyone else for a good seat and be surrounded by enemy supporters.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA 50:08
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Well if that is the case then we are getting spoiled. Back at Moorabbin you stood all day now people will not go because there maybe opposition supporters there. Anyway what is wrong with banter with opposition supporters.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Well if that is the case then we are getting spoiled. Back at Moorabbin you stood all day now people will not go because there maybe opposition supporters there. Anyway what is wrong with banter with opposition supporters.
Thats what is so pleasing about football compared to soccer.

Sitting with opposition fans. Its great.

You can actually yell out go saints without it falling onto only saints fans ears.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:Richmond claims 7,000 unticketed "members".
Are these last years members who have not become members this year?
Are they AFL members who have nominated Richmond club support?
Are they Melbourne Cricket Club members who barrack for Richmond but don't need a Richmond membership to attend Richmond home games at the MCG?

unticketed would be those members with a membership that carries few or NO games attached

and they are NOT counted to official membership numbers

hIE International memberships that only carry 2/3 games not counted
saints sidelines Not counted

all are valuable as funding and support issues BUT not counted in AFL circles-
to be counted in official numbers memberships MUST carry 5 games or more.- IE interstate or ountry

in the past there were local supporter group options for those in any area who didn't make it to games- but these were abolished in favour of Club based Country and interstate memberhips that carry games.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
saint66au wrote:Also doesnt help when a % of the St Kilda crowd who DO turn up spend most of the game sledging their own players :!: :evil:

Exhibit A:

Frankston bound train after the game. Girl about mid-20's..dressed up for a night at a restaurant not a footy game..not a stich of RW&B on her...on the phone to someone.....

* "We were rubbish..God we were only playing RICHMOND!!!!!"

* "Raph yada yada Raph yada yada"

* "God you know we were crap when Milnes our best player"

Luckily got off at Sth Yarra...just as my tongue-biting was about to reach its limits!

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:
Spinner wrote:

Exhibit A:

Frankston bound train after the game. Girl about mid-20's..dressed up for a night at a restaurant not a footy game..not a stich of RW&B on her...on the phone to someone.....

* "We were rubbish..God we were only playing RICHMOND!!!!!"

* "Raph yada yada Raph yada yada"

* "God you know we were crap when Milnes our best player"

Luckily got off at Sth Yarra...just as my tongue-biting was about to reach its limits!
Well thats impressive to say the least.

A lot of people I know (opposition) don't actually go to games on Saturday night cos they have other things to do.

This girl has obviously sacrificed some of her Satdy plans to make an effort and turn up. Pretty good effort in todays generation.

mick13
Club Player

Lol true, I was sitting in Aisle 46, couple across from ther Richmond Cheer Squad, and man there were loud. Me and my St. Kilda mate, and the family in front of us were Saints, that was about it for the entire half of the Dome. :P

And my gawd, their cheer squad was loud.

We need a 'Har-Vey Har-Vey' chant every time Banger does something special. (every 2nd possession ;))

snoopygirl
SS Life Member

Spinner, I was on the train with Saint66au..........wish she had made plans to go elsewhere. :roll: She was asking the person how X could have possibly done his hammy when all he was doing was running. :shock: :?

mick13
Club Player

Lol there was some drunk woman on our train. I think she was trying to remember her kids names...'James, Jarrod....Matthew??'

Nearly dropped her kid in the hole between the platform and train at Southern Cross...Then talked up some guys around Chelt. Mentone station ahahha. funny s***.