2nd Tier Key Defenders

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Statsman
Club Player

2nd Tier Key Defenders

It looks like we may be without both Hudghton (hamstring) and Maguire (foot) for our next game. Who is going to replace these two as key defenders?

Fisher and Goddard are the two most likely candidates, but both play far better as the 3rd tall defender where they can use their ability to read the play to spoil, clean up and rebound with freedom. We lose lots of run from our defence when Fisher and Goddard are forced to lock in on an opponent.

From there we start looking at the likes of Jason Blake, Raphael Clarke and James Gwilt. Not exactly the kind of guys that are going to strike fear into a key forward.

Is it too late to re-invent Gehrig as a full back again?

"Ask not what your teammates can do for you. Ask what you can do for your teammates." - Earvin 'Magic' Johnson
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: 2nd Tier Key Defenders

Statsman wrote:It looks like we may be without both Hudghton (hamstring) and Maguire (foot) for our next game. Who is going to replace these two as key defenders?

Fisher and Goddard are the two most likely candidates, but both play far better as the 3rd tall defender where they can use their ability to read the play to spoil, clean up and rebound with freedom. We lose lots of run from our defence when Fisher and Goddard are forced to lock in on an opponent.

From there we start looking at the likes of Jason Blake, Raphael Clarke and James Gwilt. Not exactly the kind of guys that are going to strike fear into a key forward.

Is it too late to re-invent Gehrig as a full back again?
Yes.

saint64
Club Player

We can do a lot worse than Blake and Raph as replacements IMO

Statsman
Club Player

Thought so. :wink:

Then I guess we either sacrifice Fisher and/or Goddard or place our trust in guys like Blake, Clarke and Gwilt. :(

"Ask not what your teammates can do for you. Ask what you can do for your teammates." - Earvin 'Magic' Johnson
Statsman
Club Player

saint64 wrote:We can do a lot worse than Blake and Raph as replacements IMO
As key defenders or Rocca and Cloke or Brown and Bradshaw? :shock:

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

saint64 wrote:We can do a lot worse than Blake and Raph as replacements IMO
I would've thought thats as bad as it gets

Zippy
Club Player

Rix could be an OK matchup for someone like Rocca.

Ferguson would be another option.

Add Blake/Clarke/Gwilt and we have a fair lot of second-string defenders, but no first-line stoppers

But I think our defence will have trouble if they're both out, so we might have to . . . ermmm . . . flood a bit. Which mightn't make that much difference . . . :lol:

Blindly delusional optimist. Fan of the Blake.

"If anyone disagrees with anything I say, I am quite prepared not only to retract it, but also to deny under oath that I ever said itâ€
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

On Rocca...I don' t think the Pies are that keen on playing him at present...for essentialy the same reasons we are wrestling with playing the GTrain or not.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Goddard is NOT a key defender, he would get killed, plus his talents would go to waste

Rix, Blake and even Raph would be better defensive options

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
groupie1
Club Player

For Rocka and Cloke, i guess you're talking, we'd go with Fisher on R and Gwilt on Cloke - Gwilt worked hard when replacing Max last year.

We stil retain Fisher's run, because, Rocca can't

G as a defender? ha ha ha ha ha - that's funny dude

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Gwilt did a fair job at full back last year when we had similar injuries.

B: R.Clarke, Gwilt, Geary
HB: Gram, S.Fisher, Goddard

Doesn't look too bad. Blake and Ferguson other options. People may suggest Dempster but he is out-bodied far too easily to be a key defender.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

From the players not in the 22 against the Tigers, Geary, Gwilt, Ferguson, Blake, L Fisher are all candidates to come into the team in defence.

IF we still have Sam Fisher AND Max...then I a quite comfortable with how our defence can be structured up.

But without Max.......you would have to say that you want our mids to be flying.

Gwilt did ok last year when called on....but reports of his Casey form have been patchy.

Could he take Bradshaw in 2 games time????

Richter
SS Life Member

mad saint guy wrote:Gwilt did a fair job at full back last year when we had similar injuries.

B: R.Clarke, Gwilt, Geary
HB: Gram, S.Fisher, Goddard

Doesn't look too bad. Blake and Ferguson other options. People may suggest Dempster but he is out-bodied far too easily to be a key defender.
A bit raw in the full back line for mine - would prefer Blake for Raph if Max does not come up. I like Raph, but prefer him on a midfield flank or on HF line.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
james rose
Club Player

how does allen go in defense?

for the mosters bring in rix

kosi can always go back if that doesn't work

fisher
bj
blake
raph
gwilt

can all take certain match ups

and what about gram he has played on the tall forward before.... and should allow him some latitude from his opponent... because atm the small fowards he plays on are sticking close with him.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

james rose wrote:
for the mosters bring in rix
No...you are better off putting some on them that can run off them and really hurt the opostion with rebound.

Certainly not Rix. He would not negate enough....nor would he create drive.

Others may lack in negating skils...but at least we can gain some benefit from rebound.

bergsone
SS Life Member

Kosi to CHB King Gardner to ruck maybe ,means we need a big game out of G train up foward with no Roo,opens a spot for Allen

spiral2
Club Player

sorry, a bit off topic but seeing as Grammy has been down on form in defense, does anyone see any potential in him as a forward?
has he ever had a run down there?
he's got pace to get out on a lead and is a long kick so maybe there's something to work with there...just a thought...

I'd also like to see BJ down forward in some games, but it's not likely with Max and Goose out I suppose.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Our mids and onballers just have to play their guts out so we can take the pressure off the backs, and the forwards really have to work harder to keep the ball in our forward line, as Milne won't kick 7 every week, and no other forwards look threatening.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

spiral2 wrote:sorry, a bit off topic but seeing as Grammy has been down on form in defense, does anyone see any potential in him as a forward?
he's got pace to get out on a lead and is a long kick so maybe there's something to work with there...just a thought...
Nope. As a forward you have to win your own footy under pressure. Gram is probably the biggest receiver in the competition. He's ok when he just runs past for the handball, but put an opponent within 10m of him and he's useless.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:
spiral2 wrote:sorry, a bit off topic but seeing as Grammy has been down on form in defense, does anyone see any potential in him as a forward?
Nope. As a forward you have to win your own footy under pressure. Gram is probably the biggest receiver in the competition. He's ok when he just runs past for the handball, but put an opponent within 10m of him and he's useless.
Biggest receiver in the competition. Now that is a bit rough. He is an outside player and when in form is very much needed. And useless. I hope you thought that way the last 2 years as well.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Biggest receiver in the competition. Now that is a bit rough. He is an outside player and when in form is very much needed. And useless. I hope you thought that way the last 2 years as well.
He can be a quality outside rebounder, but I can't think of anyone with a worse inside game than Gram.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Ferguson did quite well a few seasons ago when called on the fill CHB. Only 187 but is a strong overhead mark. I would like to see Raph fill X's role, with Allan on the forward line. Play Geary, I dont know why he was dropped in the first place. Is Dempster available or not?

boneless23
Club Player

Ferguson didnt do well as a CHB.....he has played about 3 or 4 games in the last 4 years and has been towelled up numerous times, Ken Mcgregor in the 05 Qualifying final being the most notable.

James Gwilt has lost a lot of weight since last year in an attempt to improve his running. He is not the key back option that he was 12 months ago