Dermie sort of admits he was wrong

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bangerisking
Club Player

Dermie sort of admits he was wrong

Dermie just mentioned that he was wrong in his assement of Harvs earlier on in the year. He went onto say that his swival goal late in the 3rd qtr he thought was beoynd him.

Also said that maybe he shouldnt have writen a 36yo off so quickly, but couldnt help himself to still say his game v Ess he got easy kicks.

What he dosnt realise like Rooey, Harvs get salot of easy kicks simply because they both burn opponents off with leg speed. I for one absolutely loved Bangers game Sat night and its sad that we still heavily rely on him week in week out.

BANGER 350 & STILL GOING STRONG
saintly
Saintsational Legend

whats even more sadder. is that this will be Harvey's last year.

Huzzad
Club Player

Good on him for admitting that. GT would have been eating his hat too I think. I was at the game, sitting right behind the goals on level two when Harvs kicked that. Looked simply genious, was amazing watching him twist and shoot meters in front of us.

www.wikisaints.com - Your Online St Kilda Encyclopedia!

www.truesainters.com - A Friendly Forum Alternative

http://truesainters.wordpress.com - Player of the Round articles, match previews and reviews
SB10
Club Player

I heard Dermie's retraction on Harvs, it was pathetic. He went on to say Harvs was picking up cheap possies and that opposition teams no longer feared him so were not manning up.

Banger's game on the weekend was as good as any during his peak, including his Brownlow years. Some of his efforts under pressure, breaking tackles and putting the ball to advantage of his teammates was mind boggling.

I will NOT miss a single game this season for the sole reason that I don't want to miss Banger putting on a display like he did Saturday night. That goal was vintage Harvey. Absolute poetry in motion!

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

SB10 wrote:
Banger's game on the weekend was as good as any during his peak, including his Brownlow years.
Harves was good.

But it does bother me when people say these types of things.

Harves is a mere shadow of what he was. That's certainly not suggesting he isn't a gun now, but he was simply a freak in his Brownlow years. Unstoppable. Strong, very good overhead, super quick, long kick. Just a freak.

He had a bad day in the GF, and knocked up 30 touches. In a losing GF side! He was 'beaten'. How many blokes get 30 touches in a GF on a bad day??

He's good now, but let's not forget how brilliant he was.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
SB10 wrote:
Banger's game on the weekend was as good as any during his peak, including his Brownlow years.
Harves was good.

Harves is a mere shadow of what he was. That's certainly not suggesting he isn't a gun now, but he was simply a freak in his Brownlow years. Unstoppable. Strong, very good overhead, super quick, long kick. Just a freak.

He had a bad day in the GF, and knocked up 30 touches. In a losing GF side! He was 'beaten'. How many blokes get 30 touches in a GF on a bad day??

Agree with most of this, but a strong overhead mark....mmmm...that i don't remember....

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:
Agree with most of this, but a strong overhead mark....mmmm...that i don't remember....
Not in pack or neccessarily a contested situation - but on the lead.

He won a Whitten Medal by playing the role we now call a 'leadup forward'. In those days, it was simply the HFF.

He could lead at genuine full pace (which for him was very fast) and mark the ball cleanly in his hands without breaking stride.

As a kid when I used to watch training, I took particular notice of this. I had the habit of jumping into the ball when on a lead. Harves never left the ground. He'd go full pelt in the drills and hit the ball so hard with his hands.

The theory is that when you leave the ground you lose speed. When you stay on the ground, you maintain speed and maintain your balance when you have the ball.

His hands were brilliant.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
He had a bad day in the GF, and knocked up 30 touches.
He had a "bad" day because he had a knee injury.

In fact, whilst some aspects of his play have dropped off, others seemed to have improved, goal kicking being one of them. He has never been more accurate. Also, the number of possessions he had - 30 - and the number of clangers he had - zero - is still up there amongst the elite players.

Dermie was simply wrong - as usual. Why some fools ever thought he had any capacity to coach is beyond me. Without doubt he was a giant as a footballer. As a commentator, he's a pygmy.

It's true that Harvey gets 'cheap' possessions - by gut running 100 metres to be in position for a play two kicks away. I hope these 'cheap' possessions continue until the end of his final year.
Last edited by perfectionist on Mon 05 May 2008 9:00pm, edited 1 time in total.

groupie1
Club Player

this is an excellent point - one area that's improved MASSIVELY is his kicking for goal, at which he used to be very ordinary. i do also agree that Harvey is not the player he once was, but that's simply because he was so good.

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

saintly wrote:whats even more sadder. is that this will be Harvey's last year.
far worse is the fact he's 36 and our best midfielder.

Even though Harvs is dead set freak and champion, this is wrong!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
saintly wrote:whats even more sadder. is that this will be Harvey's last year.
far worse is the fact he's 36 and our best midfielder.

Even though Harvs is dead set freak and champion, this is wrong!
Better Lenny. I would think not. Lenny would be that far in front in the B&F it is not funny.

dalboy
Club Player

I heard Dermie this afternoon.....he's a tool. He said that you or I could have picked up the possies he did versus Essendon cos his opponent was shifted off him onto someone more damaging....BJ. He has no respect for the great man and is simply jealous that he was shot by the age of 30 and couldn't get a kick anymore.
I send an SMS to SEN everytime i hear him and say how sad it is to hear him still talking drivvle...he should have given it away last year.

Happiness is a warm pie!
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

Terrible player is Robert Harvey, can't play

I feel sorry for the EVEN worse players in the league (about 80%) who can't match his terrible form...

it must pain dermie that he was finished after only a decade and his last 5 years of football were a joke, while banger is continuing to perform at a quality level after 21.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
bozza1980
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote:
SB10 wrote:
Harves was good.

Spot on, Harvey is still a marvel to watch these days but is a shadow of what he was. That said most league players in their prime are a shadow of what Harves was in his.

It was good to hear Dermie say he was happy he was wrong, obvioulsy had forgotten the old adage to never write off a champion.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

concur

harvey now merely at the standard of a very good midfielder in the league :lol:

I always hoped a 3rd brownlow would be his, however injury, and crappy team mates, and Timmy watgoingon denied him.

SHUT UP KRIME!
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

When comparing Harves now to 10 years ago there are a couple of things that need to be remembered.
The game has changed dramatically in these 10 years.

!0 years ago how often would Harves come off the ground for a rest?
Nowadays he is part of a 'midfield rotation' that sees him probably spend no more than 60% of the game on the field?

It might be really interesting to see what Harves' disposals are as a % against game time compared with 10 years ago?

More imporatantly, 10 years ago Harvey's opponents were'nt getting rests. Week in week out Harves would absolutely dominate his opponents and games in teh third and final quarters because by that time he had physically run his opponenets into the ground.

As the use of the interchange bench started to evolve from basically being used to cover player injuries to an offensive use of the bench, Coaches started using multiple taggers on Harves to combat his gut running prowess. It was the beginning of the 'rotation' that we now see as part and parcel of today's game. You could mount a case that the tactics we see used by every team today were invented to curb the effect of Harves.

Maybe we should call today's midfield rotations the 'Harvey Move'? :)

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

even 10 years ago they used to rotate off harvey.

pretty much only crawford could go a whole game with harvey. And while its fun to laugh at crawford for the idiot he is off the field, on the field he is a very very disciplined (usually) hard working player.

SHUT UP KRIME!
The Saintsational Man
Club Player

Anyone here with kids that are turning 21.....

Now think of the day they were born and up until now.

That's Sir Robert Harvey's Career time span.

One of the most amazing sporting achivements in the history of the world.

Watching his run on Saturday was awesome, still at his age he leaves players 15 years his junior in his wake.....

Dead set legend.

bozza1980
Club Player

Mr Magic wrote:When comparing Harves now to 10 years ago there are a couple of things that need to be remembered.
The game has changed dramatically in these 10 years.
Not to mention the fact we are comparing the efforts of a 27 year at the peak of his powers against a 37 year old man who has recovered from major knee and shoulder surgery and in his 21st season of elite football.

It is just further enhances his legend, that at a time when most he debut against or with's league careers are fond memories, he is still churning out quality football.