Gee, and I thought I was negative!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Gee, and I thought I was negative!

There is no doubt that footy assumes a greater role in some people's lives than others. Clearly, I am one of those. Sport, in any form, represents some of the baser instincts of humans. But once when killing by the the most gruesome means satiated human desire for identification and superiority, sport now represents the most aggressive aspects of the popular culture. The reactions of some supporters belies this interpretation, but as far as the players are concerned, whilst 100% effort on the field is required, it's handshakes all round after the siren.

Having said that, and who knows why I said it, following your team is a matter of passion rather than intellectual pursuit. I follow the Saints because my father did. I was lucky in that I started to follow the Saints in 1960 as a nine year old, and I had to wait all of 5 years to see a grand final appearance, and all of another year to see a premiership.

But, over the years, I have become more negative with respect to the footy attributes of players in the red, white and black. I never (OK, rarely) criticise the umpires. The call of "Ball" when an oppostion player touches the footfall is ridiculous. I wonder how Luke feels having his surname called so often in a game. I don't criticise opposition players because - well frankly - I don't give a stuff about them. I get upset when my players make "uncharacteristic " mistakes. I am less likely to react if Jason Blake (a favorite whipping boy of this board) fails to spin on a sixpence and kick great goal. I will raise my voice if (say) Nick Dal Santo handballs to someone running next to him who could, not in a century of Sundays, kick the ball as well as him. This is a triumph of " process" against brains in my opinion.

Having said that, and I appreciate that almost everyone gave up reading this post ten minutes ago, I reckon that players always try the best they can, AND, so do the coaching staff. The interaction is the important part - especially the skills and fitness area. Getting this right seems a genius decision if you win the flag and a hopeless decision if you dont. Last year, every parrot and her dog thought Mark Thompson should be dropped as coach of the Pussies after round 7. Sio much for parrot opinion!

Finally, a word of advice, that I could take as well. Look at what the players CAN do rather what they CAN'T.
Last edited by perfectionist on Thu 08 May 2008 10:11pm, edited 1 time in total.

LENNY LEADS THE WAY
Club Player

I use to be negative but then i realised.

*IT'S NOT WEATHER U WIN OR LOSE IT'S HOW U PLACE THE BLAME 8-)

100 percent behind the saints 100 percent of the time
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

thanks you

life is so much easier if you look for positives rather than negatives .

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

"Football is not a matter of life or death - it's far more important than that."

barneyboyz
Club Player

I, possibly as others might, have at times questioned my love of the Saints; sure, after having always passionately wanted that flag, they almost also always have provided frustration.

Well when I think of it, back in the dark ages (late 70's - early 80's), it didn't seem to matter as much, we weren't expected to win one then, so things weren't all that bad; but since then, things have changed, we have been competetive now for a fairly lengthy time and remember, during this time there was the matter of changing the "culture" at the club too.

Things have changed, the club has changed, but we have been frustrated for so long now that every stumble seems like blowing off the cliff.

All we can do is be patient, bear with it fellow Sainters, our luck will change and hopefully, soon

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
choowy
Club Player

this club has made me depressed and negative, my poor missus.

i vent my spleen between 6 & 7pm each night 24/7 to mickyb (fellow forumite).

I wish i barracked for a franchise, eg. Victory, crows, storm etc. watch the game and forget about it.

I bleed red white & black.

My kids will also.

It is sad when my three year old, says Dad a good magpie ids a dead one. Boy I wished he barracked for Man. U. that way he will see the holy grail.
________
TRIBUTE
Last edited by choowy on Tue 15 Feb 2011 2:13am, edited 1 time in total.

barneyboyz
Club Player

choowy wrote:this club has made me depressed and negative, my poor missus.

I wish i barracked for a franchise, eg. Victory, crows, storm etc. watch the game and forget about it.

My kids will also.

It is sad when my three year old, says Dad a good magpie ids a dead one. Boy I wished he barracked for Man. U. that way he will see the holy grail.
Mate, don't it just hurt sometimes? but then I take solace from the Sydney/South Melb. experience 70 odd years!! FFS! people lived & died without the Holy Grail, but like their supporters must have felt, won't it be just the most amazing thing when it happens? won't it?

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Gee, and I thought I was negative!

perfectionist wrote:
Finally, a word of advice, that I could take as well. Look at what the players CAN do rather what they CAN'T.
How do you go when you realize the player can't do much at all?

stinger
Saintsational Legend

My kids will also.

today was a mixed day for me....my dear old mum is gravely ill in hospital....but tonight whilst i was visiting her, my six year old grand daughter turned up with her mum.....during the course of a conversation ..said granddaughter professed her love for the saints....and her grand-nan of course......sort of cheered me up...... : :lol: :lol:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
LENNY LEADS THE WAY
Club Player

stinger wrote:

My kids will also.

today was a mixed day for me....my dear old mum is gravely ill in hospital....but tonight whilst i was visiting her, my six year old grand daughter turned up with her mum.....during the course of a conversation ..said granddaughter professed her love for the saints....and her grand-nan of course......sort of cheered me up...... : :lol: :lol:
Hope she gets better soon stinger and it's always great to hear we have another converted saint

100 percent behind the saints 100 percent of the time
stinger
Saintsational Legend

LENNY LEADS THE WAY wrote:
stinger wrote:

My kids will also.

Hope she gets better soon stinger and it's always great to hear we have another converted saint
unlikely mate...but thanks for your kind thoughts......i'm amending my will for the little one though..... :wink: :wink: :lol:

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

all the best stinger

what seems best can be hard to take

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
choowy
Club Player

All the best stinger.

We are born into this family.
________
Buy Air One Vaporizer
Last edited by choowy on Tue 15 Feb 2011 2:13am, edited 1 time in total.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:all the best stinger

what seems best can be hard to take
yep.....been through all of that....she had a massive stroke ....thanks mate....

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

All the best stinger.

My daughter is 4, and she gets upset if the Saints don't win...even if they're not playing!

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post