Jesaulenko - You Beauty

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

my les foote
Club Player

Jesaulenko - You Beauty

I couldn't see anything here about our former captain coach being elevated to Legend status by the AFL Hall of Fame committee.

His time at Morrabbin was brief but he still made a lasting impression.

Saw him at the team of the century dinner as well so he hasn't forgotten that he was once a Saint.

Win it for HIM!
stinger
Saintsational Legend

well...at least one of our mods has...removed the last thread to the opposition forum.... :roll: :roll: :roll:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

One of the nicest blokes you could ever meet, one of the games greats, but very humble.

Seeya
osama milne laden
Club Player

my les foote,

you must remember he did play before 2004 ...

and was never on the footy show talking about a country footy league he ran when he was 18

'What do we eat? -Mussles
How do we eat 'em? - Alive'
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

We weren't that good good when Patterson was sacked and Jezza was appointed coach.As a player he was already passed it when we got him
and his record as coach of the Saints is not that flash either.....

His status is based purely on his Carlton years,too bad for him he is not a one club player,i find them to be more admirable......

:wink:

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

Think that Jezza,s contribution to the Saints had a bit to do with our resurgence in the learly nineties...

As much as I loathed the blues there is no doubt that Jezza along with his mates Sheldon,Mconville,Marcou,Wow Jones etc brought a level of professionalism back to the club after the dark 80,s...

Things like that can't always be meausured in win /loss ratios...

And for mine Jezza was a true Champ and good bloke to boot.

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
Saint Bev
SS Life Member

bobmurray wrote:We weren't that good good when Patterson was sacked and Jezza was appointed coach.As a player he was already passed it when we got him

His status is based purely on his Carlton years,too bad for him he is not a one club player,i find them to be more admirable......

Your signature would suggest that maybe we are a similar age, but I would totally disagree that we were no good when Patterson was coach. 1978 was like 2004, the year that got away from us. Essendon and the media absoluately crucified us that year. We came home strong, had beaten all the teams above us if I remember correctly and if Fitzroy had of beaten the Cats we would have been in the 8. We had great players at that time. But when Jezza came along, we traded them for the likes of Rene Kink and alot of absolute hacks. A very low time in our history. So the memories for me of Jezza arn't that good.

Qld Saints Supporter Group
saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

Saint Bev wrote:
bobmurray wrote:We weren't that good good when Patterson was sacked and Jezza was appointed coach.As a player he was already passed it when we got him

Your signature would suggest that maybe we are a similar age, but I would totally disagree that we were no good when Patterson was coach. 1978 was like 2004, the year that got away from us. Essendon and the media absoluately crucified us that year. We came home strong, had beaten all the teams above us if I remember correctly and if Fitzroy had of beaten the Cats we would have been in the 8. We had great players at that time. But when Jezza came along, we traded them for the likes of Rene Kink and alot of absolute hacks. A very low time in our history. So the memories for me of Jezza arn't that good.
good post Bev ..you are spot on ...a few sides breated a sigh of relief in 78 when we missed either by % or 2 points can't remember :roll:

Won something like the first 8 games and thrarhed Finalists Carlton in the last round...another one that got away :roll:

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Saint Bev wrote:... 1978 was like 2004, the year that got away from us. Essendon and the media absoluately crucified us that year. We came home strong, had beaten all the teams above us if I remember correctly and if Fitzroy had of beaten the Cats we would have been in the 8.
We made the 8, unfortunately at that time it was the top 5 which played finals and we finished 6th. Yes, we thrashed Carlton in the last game who, until then, were premiership favourites. They went out in the first semi with Jezza as coach, having taken over in bizarre circumstances from Ian Stewart. Of course, they won the flag the following year.

(We missed the five by two points, a draw with Richmond, and our percentage was also bad after some mid season heavy losses)

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Saint Bev wrote:

My post doesn't mention Patterson's early years as coach but the specific
one when he was sacked.In 1978 we were good and we had some great players,i still can't believe we dropped our bundle after the Cahill incident
and missed the finals....

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

1978 was the year before a horror run
We came 6th - 2 points off the 5

1 North Melbourne 16 6 0 2407 1991 120.9 64
2 Hawthorn 16 6 0 2496 2120 117.7 64
3 Collingwood 15 7 0 2347 2072 113.3 60
4 Carlton 14 8 0 2329 1994 116.8 56
5 Geelong 12 10 0 2153 2104 102.3 48
6 St Kilda 11 10 1 2330 2503 93.1 46

Then came 79 and a good first up victory against the premiers -hawthorn.
It was to be 'our year' -but we only won 2 more games all year!

In round 4 Collingwood beat us by 178 points - a record...until later that year the Roys hammered Melbourne by 190

We never won more than 5 games in a season from 79 until 87 and didn't play finals footy until 1991 - still when we did win it felt like winning a final!

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Patterson didn't have "early years". Bev knows her stuff (she ought to, she consorted with the odd genius).

We won 5 and 1/2 of our first 7, 5 of our last 6, and one in the middle disaster.

I don't think it's been mentioned yet, but we beat Hawthorn by 6 odd goals about 3 rounds from the end of the H & A at Waverley - they won the flag comfortably.

And I can tell you for a fact that in the last round v. Carlton Mark MacLure "s***" himself for the only time in his career. He spun out of a pack, looked up, and was confronted by a horizontal Robert Muir, 5 feet off the ground launching himself straight at him, eyes bugged out of his head. The Carlton great's sphincter had to clasp to prevent the great evacuation. The collision hit his shoulder and he was useless in the finals.

Source? His then girlfriend, subsequently, and still, his wife (maiden initials VMW). She attended a school with the initials HHS.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
Saint Bev
SS Life Member

The OtherThommo wrote:Patterson didn't have "early years". Bev knows her stuff (she ought to, she consorted with the odd genius).
Ha ha, that was a hell of a game. Mad Dog was is a mean mood. Remember him taking out Collins who was BOG till he got carried off.

We might not have won many in those years, but gee we had some good times.

Qld Saints Supporter Group
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

The OtherThommo wrote: Patterson didn't have "early years". Bev knows her stuff (she ought to, she consorted with the odd genius).
If i'm talking about THE YEAR that Patterson got sacked then 1978 is one of his EARLY YEARS.He was sacked in 1981.....

Clarified,i hope,this time.....

:P

yipper
SS Life Member

Patto got the flick 3 games into the 1980 season!! That 78 Saints team is still the toughest, most fearsome footy team I have ever seen. They absolutely smashed one of the Grand Final teams of that year and beat North the other team in the run home. Massacred Carlton and stuffed their finals campaign up. Very, very talented and tough team wore the Red, White and Black colours in that year. They lost confidence after the media went on an hysterical tirade against our playing style following the Essendon game at Moorabbin in about Rd 9or 10. We then got the mojo back for the last 6 games and stormed home - alas we fell just 2pts short.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.