Saints Fit To Burst

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Huzzad
Club Player

Saints Fit To Burst

Saints fit to burst
Rohan Connolly | May 12, 2008
http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/s ... 44216.html

IT WAS the mid-season break last year that helped St Kilda turn around a season rapidly heading nowhere.

The Saints had won just four games of 11 and lost their past four straight when they took their mid-year sabbatical. They returned a different team, losing only three more for the season and missing out on the finals by just half-a-game.

This year, a week off has come a month earlier, and at 4-3, the situation superficially doesn't seem quite as grim. But St Kilda will be praying that a free weekend has again proved a precursor to a dramatic change in form and good fortune.

Because only one-third of the way through the season, Friday night's Telstra Dome clash with Collingwood already presents a grand final of sorts. One which, should it lose, might just about finish St Kilda off as a credible premiership contender, not only this year, but for who knows how long?

Certainly, the symbolism would be writ large. Defeat against a team hardly overflowing with confidence itself, Collingwood leapfrogging the Saints on the ladder as a result, along, potentially, with four other rivals. A truckload of injuries, other key players struggling badly for form. And the prospect of the Brisbane Lions at the Gabba, the barnstorming Western Bulldogs and Sydney at the SCG to follow.

St Kilda won what turned out to be a pretty gutsy victory over Richmond in round seven, having lost an army of players to injury during the game. But the Saints nevertheless did so on the back of a seven-goal haul from Stephen Milne, and with key players down.

They'll need to be gutsier again to survive the next month with their optimism and flag prospects intact, given the list of opponents to confront, and the steadily dwindling numbers of personnel available to do so.

Key men, too. Nick Riewoldt? Enough said. He might not be back for a month. Two key defenders in Max Hudghton and Matt Maguire, the latter gone for the year, and a potential replacement in Sam Gilbert already out.

That's hardly timely when the opposition this week has outscored everyone bar the top three teams on the ladder, includes two big key forwards in Travis Cloke and Anthony Rocca, a dangerous mid-sized goalkicker in Paul Medhurst, and wildcards like Leon Davis and Dale Thomas.

There's a missing No. 1 ruckman in Steven King. Defensive run from Xavier Clarke, and perhaps a lock-down type in Steven Baker. There's holes every where you look in the St Kilda line-up at the moment.

Do the Saints have the necessary armory to fill them? Or those struggling for touch enough time to turn things around before the situation has slipped too far?

King's absence places pressure on Michael Gardiner, for whom the Richmond game was his first senior hitout for five weeks, and appropriately rusty. Now there will have been another fortnight between games.

Justin Koschitzke can help out there, but that just robs Peter to pay Paul when it comes to forward-line potency, particularly with Fraser Gehrig struggling as much as any Saint at the moment.

The G-train has just eight goals from his four games, and only four in his past three. He hasn't had much else to offer, either, yet to register even a single effective tackle this season.

Much was made during the NAB Cup of the newer and lesser lights who were emerging to help the St Kilda cause. David Armitage has shown some promise. But Clinton Jones and Jarryn Geary, who looked so good in February and March, have played just three games each in the premiership season.

It's still coming down to the familiar St Kilda faces. And, sadly, another familiar St Kilda story, injuries, is being told yet again.

An appropriate change on that front was the premise on which so many of us placed faith in the Saints' ability to challenge the likes of Geelong this season. So much faith that of eight tipsters in The Age's Footy 2008 guide, six had St Kilda either winning the flag or, at worst, reaching the grand final.

But again the gods aren't smiling on Moorabbin. Yes, there's still time to re-write the script unfolding before us. But it has to start now. This week, against a team whose questioning of itself at the moment must be just as great.

It's a huge clash, perhaps even bigger now the momentary pause in the season's proceedings has given time for reflection and regrouping.

That seemed to do the trick last year for the Saints. It had better do again. While it's only round eight and mid-May, Friday night's is a game St Kilda simply can't afford to lose.

Do the Saints have the necessary armory to fill them? Or those struggling for touch enough time to turn things around before the situation has slipped too far?

King's absence places pressure on Michael Gardiner, for whom the Richmond game was his first senior hitout for five weeks, and appropriately rusty. Now there will have been another fortnight between games.

Justin Koschitzke can help out there, but that just robs Peter to pay Paul when it comes to forward-line potency, particularly with Fraser Gehrig struggling as much as any Saint at the moment.

The G-train has just eight goals from his four games, and only four in his past three. He hasn't had much else to offer, either, yet to register even a single effective tackle this season.

Much was made during the NAB Cup of the newer and lesser lights who were emerging to help the St Kilda cause. David Armitage has shown some promise. But Clinton Jones and Jarryn Geary, who looked so good in February and March, have played just three games each in the premiership season.

It's still coming down to the familiar St Kilda faces. And, sadly, another familiar St Kilda story, injuries, is being told yet again.

An appropriate change on that front was the premise on which so many of us placed faith in the Saints' ability to challenge the likes of Geelong this season. So much faith that of eight tipsters in The Age's Footy 2008 guide, six had St Kilda either winning the flag or, at worst, reaching the grand final.

But again the gods aren't smiling on Moorabbin. Yes, there's still time to re-write the script unfolding before us. But it has to start now. This week, against a team whose questioning of itself at the moment must be just as great.

It's a huge clash, perhaps even bigger now the momentary pause in the season's proceedings has given time for reflection and regrouping.

That seemed to do the trick last year for the Saints. It had better do again. While it's only round eight and mid-May, Friday night's is a game St Kilda simply can't afford to lose.

www.wikisaints.com - Your Online St Kilda Encyclopedia!

www.truesainters.com - A Friendly Forum Alternative

http://truesainters.wordpress.com - Player of the Round articles, match previews and reviews
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Saints fit to burst

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

"Mondays Experts" Wonder if the media felt similar sentiments about Sydney after seven rounds in 05? or Geelong after seven last year?
I'm not saying that I'm convinced that we'll do a Sydney or Geelong and win the flag, but then I believe we CAN go the whole way.

Its only round seven for goodness sake!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
james rose
Club Player

fair summary. Hopefully the boy's agree

JeffDunne

It's a bit of a stretch to suggest we're out of it if we lose this week, but there's no doubt it's an incredibly important game if we want to keep up with the pack.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

I know we can win.

I think at this stage its all about confidence.

for some reason our players get rattled and get rolled in some games, or maybe they just go to sleep.

but we certainly have the talent and skills to win if we want to.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
brown-coat
SS Hall of Fame

Has anyone noticed, the more we don't play, the more confident people get about our ability and potential?

It always reaches a climax at about January when nobody has seen us play for months and start pinning us in for flag favourites?

We haven't played for a week and now we're fit to burst!!

Just an observation.

james rose
Club Player

brown-coat wrote:Has anyone noticed, the more we don't play, the more confident people get about our ability and potential?

It always reaches a climax at about January when nobody has seen us play for months and start pinning us in for flag favourites?

We haven't played for a week and now we're fit to burst!!

Just an observation.
I did notice you didn't read/understand the article and instead chose to interpret the headline.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

8 point game..perhaps more.

The teams that we really REALLY need to knock off now to set ourselves up for the 8 are the Pies, Kangas, Crows and Swans.

You would want to win 2 of these games the first time we play them...preferably 3.

We so far have 1.
The emerging Lions is also an 8 pointer for us.

Historically some teams into the 8..and others out of the 8. So far it looks like the Dogs are a definate in...and WC a definate out.

Of those outside the 8 currently I think PA will get back in...and that Lions will be pushing very hard.

Of thos in...the Pies and the Knagas are in the most danger of slipping out...along with the Saints.

Pies and Kangas are not in the same form as last year. We need to nail them.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Huzzad
Club Player

Re: Saints fit to burst

thejiggingsaint wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

"Mondays Experts" Wonder if the media felt similar sentiments about Sydney after seven rounds in 05? or Geelong after seven last year?
I'm not saying that I'm convinced that we'll do a Sydney or Geelong and win the flag, but then I believe we CAN go the whole way.

Yeah I was actually thinking about that the other day, the swans were written off by everyone, yet look what they ended up achieving. I hope we can make a similar turn around. We have the talent, we just need to get everyone on the same page. I am glad however that our lackluster form has happened now rather than later in the year. If we build momentum we will be a real force once the cogs start turning.

www.wikisaints.com - Your Online St Kilda Encyclopedia!

www.truesainters.com - A Friendly Forum Alternative

http://truesainters.wordpress.com - Player of the Round articles, match previews and reviews
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Great article and smack, bang on the money. People need to stop bringing up the "but but but Sydney did it!!" argument. That's the exception, not the rule.

I've been thinking exactly the same all week. 5-3, and we're right in the hunt - but it also allows us a little breathing space should we drop a game in the process of getting our best 22 out on the park.

At 4-4, with the injuries we have - and the tough run home - it could be very difficult for us to make the top four, effectively meaning we won't win it this year.

And if we don't win it this year, we're going to have a very difficult time in the years ahead with the lack of kids coming through.

It's an enourmous game. We'll learn so much about our club on Friday night.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

saintsrus
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Saints fit to burst

Huzzad wrote:
thejiggingsaint wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah I was actually thinking about that the other day, the swans were written off by everyone, yet look what they ended up achieving. I hope we can make a similar turn around. We have the talent, we just need to get everyone on the same page. I am glad however that our lackluster form has happened now rather than later in the year. If we build momentum we will be a real force once the cogs start turning.
Unfortunately the swans didnt have key players out for a month to contend with in fact they had no injuries :cry:

Before Im 85
GeorgeYoung27
Club Player

Monday morning and there's nothing to write... no games on the weekend. And Rohan is on auto-pilot writing an article to fill the sport section. Rehash what Mike Sheahan wrote last week. Selectively use facts like...
And the prospect of the Brisbane Lions at the Gabba, the barnstorming Western Bulldogs and Sydney at the SCG to follow.
what about Melbourne? doesn't sound so daunting if they were to be included. make sure the glass is half-empty..
he (connolly) wrote another article in the same paper on the same day saying Collingwood were in trouble in the ruck if Fraser doesn't play as Wood would have to face the daunting prospect of King and Gardiner.

it's so much better to pull out the alarmist article and St Kilda is better than any other team (for some reason). Couldn't the same article been written about the filth or in fact what would actually have been an interesting piece about how teams used the break last year to reinvent their season or fall off the pace.

yipper
SS Life Member

GeorgeYoung27 wrote:Monday morning and there's nothing to write... no games on the weekend. And Rohan is on auto-pilot writing an article to fill the sport section. Rehash what Mike Sheahan wrote last week. Selectively use facts like...
And the prospect of the Brisbane Lions at the Gabba, the barnstorming Western Bulldogs and Sydney at the SCG to follow.
what about Melbourne? doesn't sound so daunting if they were to be included. make sure the glass is half-empty..
he (connolly) wrote another article in the same paper on the same day saying Collingwood were in trouble in the ruck if Fraser doesn't play as Wood would have to face the daunting prospect of King and Gardiner.

it's so much better to pull out the alarmist article and St Kilda is better than any other team (for some reason). Couldn't the same article been written about the filth or in fact what would actually have been an interesting piece about how teams used the break last year to reinvent their season or fall off the pace.
Very well done. Good spotting - pretty weak effort from Connolly in this case. Contradicts himself from one article to the next!!

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.