Aussie Jones - Remember how good he was? You probably don't

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Johnny Favier
Club Player

Anyone remember Matthew Young?

I sometimes think how good we could have been if he hadn't been cruelled by arthritis - was a sad way for a young bloke to end his career.

He gave us so much drive playing alongside Jones and Cripps in '97...if I remember correctly, he was sometimes tagged off the half-back line by opposition coaches because he was so damaging.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

matty young along with tony brown, and nearly austin powers jones, had their careers ruined by timmid.

timmid thought tony delany was a better HBF than matty young :roll:
timmid thought tony francis was a better on baller than robert harvey :roll:
timmid thought nathan burke at 5 foot nothing would be a good match for micky o'laughlin at 6foot 4 :roll:

etc etc

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
suss
Club Player

I only went to a few games at linton st and can't remember much but it seemed like every time I went David Grant would take a massive hanger on the outer wing where used to sit. He was as tough as nails too...

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

Johnny Favier wrote:Anyone remember Matthew Young?

I sometimes think how good we could have been if he hadn't been cruelled by arthritis - was a sad way for a young bloke to end his career.

He gave us so much drive playing alongside Jones and Cripps in '97...if I remember correctly, he was sometimes tagged off the half-back line by opposition coaches because he was so damaging.
Redhaired defender that when he was in form played very solid and tall for his size with plenty of run out of defence before a back injury. Actually I also remember a Favier for us in early 80s who was also a red head.

bergsone
SS Life Member

Didnt we get M.Young from hawthorn

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

bergsone wrote:Didnt we get M.Young from hawthorn
I think so from memory . Became a better player than i thought he would .

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

While were reminiscing...

Anyone remember Tim Elliott?

If only he had two new legs, arms and a head he coulda been anything that bloke...even a sheila.

“Yeah….nah””
Winmar7Fan
Club Player

Teflon wrote:While were reminiscing...

Anyone remember Tim Elliott?

If only he had two new legs, arms and a head he coulda been anything that bloke...even a sheila.
LOL yeh a bit of a twinkle toes . Maybe just to show our unbias and for a laugh we should make a top ten list of OUR biggest duds over the last 20 years.

Huzzad
Club Player

I really miss Aussie too. I was shocked when he retired. He was my favourite player at St Kilda for around 10 years.

www.wikisaints.com - Your Online St Kilda Encyclopedia!

www.truesainters.com - A Friendly Forum Alternative

http://truesainters.wordpress.com - Player of the Round articles, match previews and reviews
my les foote
Club Player

Every one talks about Smith, Vidovic and Everitt missing the Grand Final but Matty Young was a huge loss.

Have a look at any game from '96 or early '97 and he was absolutely starring. Playing off the half back flank he would get a heap of the ball and use it really well.

I think he was having back problems at the end of 97. Played in the prelim but was just a shadow of his usual self.

Win it for HIM!
aussiejones
Club Player

Great runs down the wing
Good delivery

Aussie Aussie Ausie

Gram can be the next Aussie

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

my les foote wrote:

Every one talks about Smith, Vidovic and Everitt missing the Grand Final but Matty Young was a huge loss.

Have a look at any game from '96 or early '97 and he was absolutely starring. Playing off the half back flank he would get a heap of the ball and use it really well.

I think he was having back problems at the end of 97. Played in the prelim but was just a shadow of his usual self.
Hear hear..he and Frankie Peckett were the best HBF's in the comp in 97..constant drive and great penetrating kicks.

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Winmar7Fan
Club Player

saint66au wrote:
my les foote wrote:

Hear hear..he and Frankie Peckett were the best HBF's in the comp in 97..constant drive and great penetrating kicks.

Well said thats exactly how i remember it too.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

stan alves said if it wasn't for winmar and aussie jones, and matty young, frankie was next in line to play on the wing.

timmid thought frankie would be a good ruck rover playing him in the middle with tony francis :roll:

as for timmy elliot I think he was a round 1 pick going at 14 or 15 It hink. at 15 he was an outstanding junior and a gun ruckman, sadly 194 cm at 15 made him a giant, but he didn't have that second or third growth spurt that would have put in the same height league as AFL ruckmen and while he had a massive tank, he didn't have the muscle to play KPP and was bumped too easily.

by comparison goddard and blake came to st kilda at 188cm and both put on an inch, and Kosi came to st kilda as a 193 cm future KPP and we have a 198 cm forward/ruckman.

SHUT UP KRIME!
Winmar7Fan
Club Player

Dan Warna wrote:stan alves said if it wasn't for winmar and aussie jones, and matty young, frankie was next in line to play on the wing.

timmid thought frankie would be a good ruck rover playing him in the middle with tony francis :roll:

as for timmy elliot I think he was a round 1 pick going at 14 or 15 It hink. at 15 he was an outstanding junior and a gun ruckman, sadly 194 cm at 15 made him a giant, but he didn't have that second or third growth spurt that would have put in the same height league as AFL ruckmen and while he had a massive tank, he didn't have the muscle to play KPP and was bumped too easily.

by comparison goddard and blake came to st kilda at 188cm and both put on an inch, and Kosi came to st kilda as a 193 cm future KPP and we have a 198 cm forward/ruckman.
Wow pretty impressive im nominating you for our referal on any stats and figures.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

There was a story going around some time back that the VEHICLE RECOVERY SKILLS of Max Hudghton, Joel Smith & Tony Brown were far superior to Aussie's DRIVING SKILLS :roll: :wink: !!

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Aussie was an excellent kick for goal on the right, an excellent field kick on the right and a good field kick on the left. Too often, when he had a choice, he would kick on the left and the kick would fall short. He had a heart as big a carraway seed when potential clashes loomed but he was a little bloke. Hand passing was very good and as was his pace - you remember that - something that appears to have left the Saints game - the ability to take on and run away from players. Steven Milne is the only one who might do it, but he relies more on dodging and playing on slow opponents. Jason Gram is only a fair replacement for Aussie (good runner and right foot kick), but he does have the same ticker in clashes.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

Winmar7Fan wrote:
Wow pretty impressive im nominating you for our referal on any stats and figures.
I'm going by my rusty memory and been corrected on a number of occassions

happy to live and learn

Tony lockett was eleventeen feet tall and had lightening from his fingertips and crushed defenders with his pinkie before kicking 15 goals a game, true story.

you always sort of felt dissapointed when plugger kicked less than 7, and when richo, or buddy or carey kick 6 or 7 everyone extols their virtues as the greatest, and yet plugger kicks 8 and was said to be well held :roll:

sadly plugger set SUCH a high standard that every time he kicked a measly 6, he had failed.

how often did you open the newspaper to see plugger held by essendon defence kicks 5, followed by an de bolfo article on some nong tearing apart the defence of the opposition to kick 4 :roll:

buddy's kicked what 36 goals in 7 games...

before getting injured/suspended pretty sure plugger managed 64 or something in a 7 game streak in the late 80s? early 90s?

was watching the goal kickers and it took about 5 weeks for him to be overhauled.

Plugger was a killing machine at FF and what is scarey, is that because of diet, health issues, the era, many would argue that he rarely achieved his potential...

People talk about forwards now, and hoping they hit the tonne, plugger was only discipline, injury, and a decent team away from 150 plus goals. His raw power was frightening, go back and watch the video where he crippled that WCE player finishing his season, it was barely more than a backhand.

on some of maestro performances, he would drill them from every where.

the saints midfield used to just lob the ball in his zone, and he'd run through players to get the ball, knocking them over like nine pins.

I remember him rag dolling micky martyn one game by running through him, just tossed him aside like he was a 50 kilo school boy.

I reckon players used to have nightmares lining up on plugger, because when he redlined, you knew he had teh power to physically kill you.

I remember he was runnign towards a player to tackle him, and that player froze like a deer in a headlights.

some say winmar came from teh side to finish the tackle, I say to this day, winmar saved that mans life.

SHUT UP KRIME!
yipper
SS Life Member

Good memories. Dan I think it was the 1989 season he had, I think, 78 goals from the first 9 games!! He was going to nail the 150 easily and do it in less than number of game s it took Pratt and Hudson.

That shrug off of Guy McKenna was a nothing incident that the umpire was not even going to lay a report over until the squealing Eagirls players started screeching "report him he is a big bully oh boohoo!!"

Through his own poor attitude, he did not bother training at all whilst out suspended for 4 weeks, came back for the Big V game at a soggy MCG and did his groin. End of season - for him and us.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Dan Warna wrote:
Winmar7Fan wrote:

happy to live and learn

Tony lockett was eleventeen feet tall and had lightening from his fingertips and crushed defenders with his pinkie before kicking 15 goals a game, true story.

you always sort of felt dissapointed when plugger kicked less than 7, and when richo, or buddy or carey kick 6 or 7 everyone extols their virtues as the greatest, and yet plugger kicks 8 and was said to be well held :roll:

sadly plugger set SUCH a high standard that every time he kicked a measly 6, he had failed.

how often did you open the newspaper to see plugger held by essendon defence kicks 5, followed by an de bolfo article on some nong tearing apart the defence of the opposition to kick 4 :roll:

before getting injured/suspended pretty sure plugger managed 64 or something in a 7 game streak in the late 80s? early 90s?

was watching the goal kickers and it took about 5 weeks for him to be overhauled.

Plugger was a killing machine at FF and what is scarey, is that because of diet, health issues, the era, many would argue that he rarely achieved his potential...

People talk about forwards now, and hoping they hit the tonne, plugger was only discipline, injury, and a decent team away from 150 plus goals. His raw power was frightening, go back and watch the video where he crippled that WCE player finishing his season, it was barely more than a backhand.

the saints midfield used to just lob the ball in his zone, and he'd run through players to get the ball, knocking them over like nine pins.

I remember him rag dolling micky martyn one game by running through him, just tossed him aside like he was a 50 kilo school boy.

I reckon players used to have nightmares lining up on plugger, because when he redlined, you knew he had teh power to physically kill you.

I remember he was runnign towards a player to tackle him, and that player froze like a deer in a headlights.

some say winmar came from teh side to finish the tackle, I say to this day, winmar saved that mans life.
an amazing player. would have had hudson and coleman for breakfast.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
Dan Warna wrote:
Winmar7Fan wrote:

happy to live and learn

an amazing player. would have had hudson and coleman for breakfast.
I didnt see them play much. Hudson a bit but how did Coleman play.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

not sure about hudson

the guy was a freak

listening to stories about him and the pure stats of his football in victoria and tasmania

as a power forward I think few stand up to Lockett

as a goal kicking machine, hudson's average, his non AFL form and his return from injury mark him as a very very very special player.

tales from 'old folks' who would see hudson kick goals from impossible angles, impossible situations, when no forward should be kicking goals and making it look like it was rubbish easy at the same time.

SHUT UP KRIME!
esaint66
SS Life Member

Yeah i do remember Matty 'Ranga' Young.

Great drive from the HBF and i loved his face when he ran, screwed it up into a sort of ball almost grimmice like.

IMO his best game was against the bombers at the G in '97, great run and gfrom memory held the white hot, last season's winnings brownlow medallist James Hird very very well.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

While stats don't mean everything, Peter Hudson's are worth taking notice of - more that 5.6 goals per game ( Lockett 4.8). I have said on this forum before, I regard Lockett as the most skillful payer I have seen. But he lacked that mental attitude week in week out. Hudson, on the other hand, had it every week. And he was fantastic, the best FF ever. And worst of all, I believe, but stand to be corrected, he was signed by the Saints, before the four 4 ran out.