Grim future - Years to come

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

brown-coat
SS Hall of Fame

Grim future - Years to come

We have a grim future ahead of us. Ross Lyon will persist with the duds on his list and doom us to years of Richmond-esque mediocrity.

He has also, unfortunately, inherited a team on the decline. When stkilda goes down, we go the hell down and stay down for a long time. 1999-2004. 1992-1997 in recent history.

As has been mentioned, Ross Lyon has a team of souless, heartless, brainless players who follow arrows on a whiteboard.

It is absolute folly to persist with our current list of players. Absolute folly. Any belief that we have a good list is narrowminded foolishness.

We must institute a youth policy immediately.

Ball, Hayes, Dal Santo, Kosi, Riewodlt, X.Clarke - This was our future in 2002-2003. They came close in 2004.

These players are not up to it. They are supposed to be in their prime. They will never deliver the Stkilda football the ultimate prize. They are another group who will go down in history as not accomplishing anything, don't worry, you are in good company. Stkilda football club has a long list of players who have done nothing worthy of remberance.

Look to the future. It's tanking time and/or trading time. I don't want 2009 to be another bloody repeat of 2007 and 2008. Holy s*** you (ross Lyon et al) have to wake up to the fact we are a woeful unit.

If we wait until 2010 and realise "Oh we need a youth policy" it's going to be another 3-4 years after that in which the new youth can mature.

So it was written...

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

i know that you're a bitter, pessimistic, pathetic human, but to suggest that Hayes, Ball, Dal Santo and Riewoldt ; aren't up to it' is beyound stupidity.

The negativity from yourself never seizes to amaze me, you are a very unintelligent human being if you think these 4 can't play football.

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Re: Grim future - Years to come

brown-coat wrote:We have a grim future ahead of us. Ross Lyon will persist with the duds on his list and doom us to years of Richmond-esque mediocrity.

He has also, unfortunately, inherited a team on the decline. When stkilda goes down, we go the hell down and stay down for a long time. 1999-2004. 1992-1997 in recent history.

As has been mentioned, Ross Lyon has a team of souless, heartless, brainless players who follow arrows on a whiteboard.

It is absolute folly to persist with our current list of players. Absolute folly. Any belief that we have a good list is narrowminded foolishness.

We must institute a youth policy immediately.

Ball, Hayes, Dal Santo, Kosi, Riewodlt, X.Clarke - This was our future in 2002-2003. They came close in 2004.

These players are not up to it. They are supposed to be in their prime. They will never deliver the Stkilda football the ultimate prize. They are another group who will go down in history as not accomplishing anything, don't worry, you are in good company. Stkilda football club has a long list of players who have done nothing worthy of remberance.

Look to the future. It's tanking time and/or trading time. I don't want 2009 to be another bloody repeat of 2007 and 2008. Holy s*** you (ross Lyon et al) have to wake up to the fact we are a woeful unit.

If we wait until 2010 and realise "Oh we need a youth policy" it's going to be another 3-4 years after that in which the new youth can mature.

So it was written...
go follow carlton then if you really feel that way

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
twirlyhair
Club Player

I agree

Brown coat I agree...as Saints supporters we have been too soft for too long. Successful clubs throughout the world demand success and release the players that they know can't deliver the ultimate success. In other words they make the tough decisions. We have very few legitimate quality players with the capacity to play at the top level. Harvey, Ball, DelSanto, Riewoldt, Hayes and perhaps Max are top shelf. The others need to be let go...play the kids and rebuild for an assault in 3-4 years. We own this club, we have the right to demand success, not simply hope for it.

stairwaytoheaven
Club Player

Yep, hearing you all. The lack of pace and how the opposition got on their own was hearbreaking. Our window is slowly closing and we need to get some really good kids this year as the wishing well will dry over the next couple of seasons

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Re: I agree

twirlyhair wrote:Brown coat I agree...as Saints supporters we have been too soft for too long. Successful clubs throughout the world demand success and release the players that they know can't deliver the ultimate success. In other words they make the tough decisions. We have very few legitimate quality players with the capacity to play at the top level. Harvey, Ball, DelSanto, Riewoldt, Hayes and perhaps Max are top shelf. The others need to be let go...play the kids and rebuild for an assault in 3-4 years. We own this club, we have the right to demand success, not simply hope for it.
yeah i can see westcoast jumping at the trade of Cox and Kerr for Raph and Gram :roll: you cannot build a team full of stars without doing a carlton and paying them under the table every team has stars and its also rans the trick is to make the gap from the stars and the also rans smaller

we dont need wholesale changes to our list we just need some players to be a bit more hungry for the success

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

twirlyhair
Club Player

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
twirlyhair wrote:Brown coat I agree...as Saints supporters we have been too soft for too long. Successful clubs throughout the world demand success and release the players that they know can't deliver the ultimate success. In other words they make the tough decisions. We have very few legitimate quality players with the capacity to play at the top level. Harvey, Ball, DelSanto, Riewoldt, Hayes and perhaps Max are top shelf. The others need to be let go...play the kids and rebuild for an assault in 3-4 years. We own this club, we have the right to demand success, not simply hope for it.
yeah i can see westcoast jumping at the trade of Cox and Kerr for Raph and Gram :roll: you cannot build a team full of stars without doing a carlton and paying them under the table every team has stars and its also rans the trick is to make the gap from the stars and the also rans smaller

we dont need wholesale changes to our list we just need some players to be a bit more hungry for the success
Delusion about our playing list will get us nowhere.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

twirlyhair wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:

whats deluded is thinking we can just scrap all our non stars and build itwith stars ? how do you propose we do that ?
you trade s*** you get s*** back and to do it via the draft it would take 8 years of picks to fill the team with stars as the draft genrally runs shallow after round two of picks . so how do you propose we replace all the player you say we need to off load ?

Red
Club Player

I believe we are one quality midfielder short which means when Harves goes

we will be two down. It's just that extra running player who can hit targets

and kick goals. Structure looked alright last night and we had the opportunity

to kick more goals than we actually did. We didn't score for 25 minutes

during the second and third quarters and I blame the leaders for that

because when we got on top early in the second they changed their style of

play going short and wide all of a sudden.

twirlyhair
Club Player

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
twirlyhair wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:

You do it by drafting, mentoring and then playing the kids when you know that the current playing list is not up to it..this is something we don't do at St.Kilda. From 2005-07, we have played a grand total of 8 new players, he lowest in the comp. whereas Brisbane (who will thump us next week) have played 26 new players. Have a look at todays 'Age'.

whats deluded is thinking we can just scrap all our non stars and build itwith stars ? how do you propose we do that ?
you trade s*** you get s*** back and to do it via the draft it would take 8 years of picks to fill the team with stars as the draft genrally runs shallow after round two of picks . so how do you propose we replace all the player you say we need to off load ?
You do it by drafting, mentoring and then playing the kids when you know that the current playing list is not up to it..this is something we don't do at St.Kilda. From 2005-07, we have played a grand total of 8 new players, he lowest in the comp. whereas Brisbane (who will thump us next week) have played 26 new players. Have a look at todays 'Age'.

saintsrus
SS Hall of Fame

brown-coat wrote:When stkilda goes down, we go the hell down and stay down for a long time. 1999-2004. 1992-1997 in recent history

Yes I can remember how bad 1997 was :roll:

Before Im 85
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Yes our window does indeed appear closed.....but to write off all of those six is foolish and premature.

Kosi is at crossroads, and X needs to overcome injury and find some more consistent form, Dal needs some more hardness, Roo is fine, Bally is actually improving.

Lyon needs to blood some players.....every side has to, and be patient.
Armo looks like he may be a player - and if McEvoy and Allen get a chance soon who knows, we may be able to mini-rebuild during this year.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

saintsrus wrote:
brown-coat wrote:When stkilda goes down, we go the hell down and stay down for a long time. 1999-2004. 1992-1997 in recent history

and i thought 2004 went alright also......

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
brown-coat
SS Hall of Fame

fonz_#15 wrote:i know that you're a bitter, pessimistic, pathetic human, but to suggest that Hayes, Ball, Dal Santo and Riewoldt ; aren't up to it' is beyound stupidity.
I guarantee those players will never lead stkilda to a premiership. They are not up to the task.

I AM NOT WRITING THEM OFF. They can be good ordinary stkilda players for the remainder of their careers.

I am saying they were the hope that was to bring us a flag. They have not delivered, they will not improve anymore as players. They have peaked.

It's time to look at other options.

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Yes 1997 we lost the Grand Final, not alright, 2004 & 5 didn't make the Grand Final, not alright.
That's are problem we think making the finals is alright and being successful.
Successful is standing on that podium after the final siren on the last Saturday in September holding that premiership cup, nothing else should satisfy this club.
Look at our history, saying it's pathetic is a complement and the sooner everyone associated with this club realises that and makes a stand that mediocrity is longer acceptable at St'Kilda the sooner we might end up having a successful dominant period in this competition and win several premierships.
I have been a member since 1971 and bleed red white and black, but I'm sick to death of failure, of seeing other teams win premierships and my team treated as a joke.
Don't be fooled this club has no repect in the football world and don't deserve it because they have done nothing to earn it.
I hope the administration reads these blogs because on behalf of all those on this site I have one thing to say, you owe all of us a premiership and you owe it big time, so for God's sake do something.

esaint66
SS Life Member

saintsrus wrote:

I think he's talking about the years in between mate.

99 00 01 02 03 04 92 93 94 95 96 97

But i could be wrong that's just what i have gathered.

twirlyhair
Club Player

3rd generation saint wrote:Yes 1997 we lost the Grand Final, not alright, 2004 & 5 didn't make the Grand Final, not alright.
That's are problem we think making the finals is alright and being successful.
Successful is standing on that podium after the final siren on the last Saturday in September holding that premiership cup, nothing else should satisfy this club.
Look at our history, saying it's pathetic is a complement and the sooner everyone associated with this club realises that and makes a stand that mediocrity is longer acceptable at St'Kilda the sooner we might end up having a successful dominant period in this competition and win several premierships.
I have been a member since 1971 and bleed red white and black, but I'm sick to death of failure, of seeing other teams win premierships and my team treated as a joke.
Don't be fooled this club has no repect in the football world and don't deserve it because they have done nothing to earn it.
I hope the administration reads these blogs because on behalf of all those on this site I have one thing to say, you owe all of us a premiership and you owe it big time, so for God's sake do something.
Good post. Lets unite , stand together and demand success. Those who cant deliver don't belong.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

There was some doom and gloom around here at the end of 2008 :lol:

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

May was hardly the end of the season. We were 4 from 8 and outside the 8 when this thread was started and we won 9 of the next 14 to finish fourth.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Wonder where insightful geniuses such as Brown-coat and Twirlyhair got to. Or, like most keyboard hero's, did they just change their ID and continue to pretend they are Nostradamus?

Saint supporter since '62