Michael Gardiner

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

thehandbrake
Club Player

Michael Gardiner

Thought MG was great last night. Presented around the ground, was good in the ruck, battled hard and threw himself into the contest. The more games this bloke gets under his belt, the better he gets. From last night's effort, he's really starting to show some signs.

With some more continuity and an injury free run, Gards will be a real asset for another couple of years I reckon. Fingers crossed!

Shaggy
Club Player

I agree :D

danners
Club Player

Re: Michael Gardiner

thehandbrake wrote:Thought MG was great last night. Presented around the ground, was good in the ruck, battled hard and threw himself into the contest. The more games this bloke gets under his belt, the better he gets. From last night's effort, he's really starting to show some signs.

With some more continuity and an injury free run, Gards will be a real asset for another couple of years I reckon. Fingers crossed!
yeh i also thought he played well.

noticed one piece of play that he chased a collingwood player really hard and put in a great effort which summed up his night

cant wait to see him once he has had a few more games under his belt

21 years old, proud member since 1998!
Johnny Favier
Club Player

Couldn't agree more, I also think the more games he gets and the fitter he becomes we can start resting him in the forward line instead of wasting his talent sitting on the bench.

He's obviously got that footy nous of a natural footballer - a few times last night he drifted into space and would have been a good option except our guys just didn't see him.

His marking is also improving in line with his confidence - will be a real asset IF he can stay free of injury.

Just gotta get our guys to read his tapwork better.....

savatage
SS Life Member

He was in great touch before he did his calf. That injury is a bitch to shake off & obviously his tank would've suffered for that month while he was away.

If he can just keep playing & not copping anymore injuries then he'll really hit some devastating form.

He has two things were are in short supply of at the moment:

1) Mongrel

2) Footy smarts

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

He is looking very good...last niht was his best game for us.

He is suddenly looking a lot more athletic too.

I am looking forwatd to when he playes 66% and King 33% as the No 2 ruckmen.

They will bea very handy combination for us.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
danners
Club Player

everyone is saying how we should have gotten more kids than recycling players.

but id say king and gardi are the perfect ruck combo for a finals campaign

21 years old, proud member since 1998!
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Gardiner is looking like he can be a very good number one ruckman if he stays fit. It is just a shame that as soon as we get a decent ruckman, the rest of the team falls off the pace. If we had him playing this kind of footy from '04-'06 we'd have a couple of flags by now.

Capricornia
Club Player

He was ok/good in the first quarter and maybe even parts of the second quarter but his ruckwork slowed right down as the game went on.

For Saints fans, Im hoping thats because he still needs match fitness. Another part of me thinks that last night was his best and we should all just accept that.

Only time will tell I guess.

He got something like 12 hitouts and Cameron Wood from Collingwood got 10 so Im not sure its a brilliant outcome for St Kilda considering Gardiner is meant to be your number 1 ruckmen. I will say that Gardiner was probably better around the ground than Cameron Wood but hitout versus hitout, Gardiner wasnt really a clear winner. A couple of times last night Gardiner was out of time and left chasing in the centrebreaks and ruck contents around the ground.

A question for saints fans-

Should Gardiner be dropped back to the VFL IF he gets injurred again, for match fitness reasons?