Clint Jones

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

killa_gram
Club Player

Clint Jones

Played well in the two's on Sat, bog. Got plenty of it and always knows where to go to to find the ball. Also adds a bit of hardness to the team. Anyone else think he should be back in the seniors?

Innocent until proven guilty!

I'm Baaaaaaaaack!!!!!!
Buckets
SS Life Member

If anything he comes in for Schneider and is told not to leave the forward 50! Need some defensive pressure in the forward line ASAP!

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Pace, intensity and nuggety grit...

These are factors our seniors lack at present. CJ excells in these areas.

Poor disposal skills was letting him down (as it is in our senior team)....but he has improved greatly in this regard.

With X out...and Schneider not in form in the last 2 games...elevating CJ would not be the worst in by any means.

I would play him as a HF..before I would play Raph there for example.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Nope. In order to win games you need to be able to not only get the ball, but kick it to your team mates.

Turnovers are more costly than ever in the modern game, and Jones is by far the worst decision-maker and disposer of the ball at St Kilda (and possibly the AFL).

St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

mad saint guy wrote:Turnovers are more costly than ever in the modern game, and Jones is by far the worst decision-maker and disposer of the ball at St Kilda (and possibly the AFL).
I really enjoy the grunt of CJ, but you're spot on here; if you can't kick the footy properly you get found out very quickly, and CJ is still a poor kick, has no right foot, and handballs teammates into trouble far too often.

He's a backup player at best.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Rix had a 'good' game too... do we bring him in aswell??..

Jones is a proven VFL player, and has no upside in the top league.. Whilst he didnt have a great game, geary is way ahead, and his skill and decision making are at the required level...

markinUSA
SS Life Member

I say give him a go. He's fast, and courageous... I'll never forget THAT MARK for the rest of my life. Reward his form in the reserves with a promotion.

"Don't give up, never give up" - Robert Harvey.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:
, and Jones is by far the worst decision-maker and disposer of the ball at St Kilda (and possibly the AFL).
There is no doubt that CJ's disposal skills are not the best....but you are way too harsh on him being the worst-decision maker in the AFL.

Firstly his decisions of where to get to are pretty good...he knows how to find the ball.

Secondly his form this year in his decisions of how to dish off handballs to team mates is pretty reasonable. Also with his foot passing he has often looked for players in space (this is decision making) even if his execution in the kick is sometimes lacking.

I remember one moment in a senior game this year when he won the ball...looked up...realised both options were covered..and instead kicked in space to advantage so that a Saints player (it was 2 Saints to 1 opponent and so a % play and good decision making to kick the ball to "their side") could run onto it and gather.

Lastly his decision making to put his body on the line is beyond reproach.

Make no doubt about it...a player decides to put his body on the line and go in for the hard ball or not...or mark when you know you will be hit (see game earlier in the year where CJ's decision on this was critical in the Saints winning the game).

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
mordi
Club Player

CJ is somewhat in the Joffa Cunningham mould.......

What's the Point of it All?
jill
Club Player

CJ must be given a run - he's earnt his place in the 1sts unlike the likes of Gram who has been retained there too long while giving us nothing!

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

jill wrote:CJ must be given a run - he's earnt his place in the 1sts unlike the likes of Gram who has been retained there too long while giving us nothing!
trust me...you will get a lot more from gram, even in this horrid run of form than you will ever get from Jones.

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
gosaints
Club Player

CJ does 2 things that alot of the blokes running around for the Saints can't do at present. He finds the ball and he sticks his tackles.

Fair enough he does turn it over at times but I think he can improve that. He doesn't turn it over anywhere near as much for Casey and he plays in much worse conditions. Give him some game time and see if he can improve that aspect of his game.

killa_gram
Club Player

He could be no worse than a few of the present "soft" players running around for us atm.

I'm Baaaaaaaaack!!!!!!
congorozides
Club Player

mordi wrote:CJ is somewhat in the Joffa Cunningham mould.......

ha ha . not quite as tough as joffa. joffa used to strike fear in to the opposition. and not as fast. remember joffa played for Victoria a few times.

i see him more like a nathan burke, jack daniels type. great at getting at. bad at at disposing it.

if he can work on his kicking...

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

fonz_#15 wrote:
jill wrote:CJ must be given a run - he's earnt his place in the 1sts unlike the likes of Gram who has been retained there too long while giving us nothing!
trust me...you will get a lot more from gram, even in this horrid run of form than you will ever get from Jones.
you sure bout that ?
besides last week Grammy hasnt been able to hit a target all year and he has been as soft as butter in an oven since comming to st kilda
as for cj being by far the worst decision-maker and disposer of the ball at St Kilda (and possibly the AFL). have a look to our jumper no. 1 the kick and hope is the only decision he makes .. serioulsy Grammy is less deserving for a spot in the team then CJ is

kick for kick they are both as bad as eachother except CJ will chase and tackle where Gram will point and jog

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
BringBackMadDog
Club Player

trust me...you will get a lot more from gram, even in this horrid run of form than you will ever get from Jones
You mean like Gram giving up on a chase after 2 steps and allowing an easy shot on goal, or Gram taking a few short steps and allowing an easy take away from a loose ball sitution, or Gram trying to kick the crap out of the ball and shanking the kick straight to the opposition???

Jones does look akward when he kicks but he actually doesn't turn it over that often, his handball is good and he will always put his head over the ball, chases hard and will tackle. Must play next week

StPeter
Club Player

The side definitely needs his tackling and ball-getting ability and he provides

that spark and enthusiasm which has been sadly missing most of the year.

BOG two weeks in a row for Casey, hopefully will see him back where he

deserves to be this week.

Winmarvellous
Club Player

Agreed on the CJ/Gram issue. It's not like Gram has been kicking the ball beautifully this season. Needs a stint in the ressies for mine.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

give him a run at half forward or on the ball.

his attack on the ball (and his exemplary tackling) might jog the memories of a few of his more skilled teammates.

Red
Club Player

He's played 9 games give him a break. He just needs to get some

confidence and he will be okay.

dalboy
Club Player

I think a run in the 2's would do Gram some good....he quite often doesn't do enough we haven't got the ball. I think the Tuck Medal has gone to his head. We need him in the team and providing a lot more run than he has been able to do this year.

Happiness is a warm pie!
spert
Saintsational Legend

CJ needs to be in the seniors for work-rate and hardness at the contest. There are a few small to mid-size players in our team who don't use their bodies well enough, or tackle strongly enough and let their opponents get easy possessions. You have a much better chance of setting up goals or preventing opposition goals if you have possession, not your opponent..just look at how easy the ball rebounds out of our forward line. CJ's hardness on the ball is required.

Banger2Plugger
Club Player

I think its interesting that McQualter has been lifted to the seniors from the rookie list.
For mind - I am sure they would not have done so unless he was going to feature in the seniors due to salary cap reasons.
Therefore - I understand all this talk about CJ - but it appears to me that McQualter is definitely in the mix next week - perhaps as a second stopper with Baker, or a late replacement should Baker not come up

If everyone speeds, why haven't you been overtaken?
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

killa_gram wrote:He could be no worse than a few of the present "soft" players running around for us atm.
But Fiora hasn't played for weeks, who is it now? :lol:

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
killa_gram
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:
killa_gram wrote:He could be no worse than a few of the present "soft" players running around for us atm.
But Fiora hasn't played for weeks, who is it now? :lol:
I think we all know who they are :wink: Not prepared to name names on here just yet. :)

I'm Baaaaaaaaack!!!!!!